Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Under His Eye

• Start Topic

Can somebody explain to me why the show is acting like anyone outside of Gilead would be sympathetic to the Waterford's story?

I am Canadian and no one in Canada would be sympathetic to the Man who ritualistically raped a woman and then claimed the child as his and his wife's child. If they wanted to push the storyline of Nicole/Holly being returned a far more believable angle is Gilead was founded by a coup of the US military, and the remnants of which are far stronger than the Canadian military. Further NATO in without US forces is largely toothless and european powers do not want to send major land forces over to assist Canada risking confrontation with a nuclear armed state with some significant fraction of the US military capability.

That would be far more believable than people sympathizing with Gilead. No one would ever sympathize with Gilead, but it is believable people would appease a state like Gilead to avoid a war they didnt believe they could win.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

I am Canadian and no one in Canada would be sympathetic to the Man who ritualistically raped a woman and then claimed the child as his and his wife's child.

I'm Canadian too and no, no one would be sympathetic. But I recall the US having terrible trouble trying to extradite a particularly heinous serial killer who fled here to escape justice,  because sending him back to the US to face trial might result in him receiving the death penalty, which would violate HIS rights although his kidnapped, tortured and murdered victims had no one to fight for their rights. Therefore it's impossible to imagine my government sending a baby back to face possible enslavement, rape/forced breeding, torture, and even murder. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm Canadian too and no, no one would be sympathetic. But I recall the US having terrible trouble trying to extradite a particularly heinous serial killer who fled here to escape justice,  because sending him back to the US to face trial might result in him receiving the death penalty, which would violate HIS rights although his kidnapped, tortured and murdered victims had no one to fight for their rights. Therefore it's impossible to imagine my government sending a baby back to face possible enslavement, rape/forced breeding, torture, and even murder. 

I mean unless threatened with war. The show is acting like Waterford's propaganda is working. It would be more realistic to imply appeasement to avoid war.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

I mean unless threatened with war. The show is acting like Waterford's propaganda is working. It would be more realistic to imply appeasement to avoid war.

I agree, and I think they did that a little bit, but not nearly enough.

It should have been a spying mission as that Swiss woman saying "the power structure here is a black box" implied.  It should have been just a way to get a look inside the decision makers of Gilead.

Remember, Gilead is anti-nuke, anti-science, so if they were just there to see if Gilead WOULD use nukes after all?  It would have made sense.  Instead?  We got this dreck.

It honestly shocked me.

• Love 1

Definitely the show does love "moments" for shock value rather than logical, well thought plots. ie. someone thought it would look really cool and horrible to have the handmaids in DC literally silenced by having their mouths stitched closed. I can see the heads in the writers' room nodding. "Yeah, creepy! Do it!" Apparently not one logical brain considered the fact that mouths are for eating not just speaking. So are they fed intravenously now or what? It's just dumb, dumb, dumb. If they wanted to make a point about the extent of silencing, then have them gagged in some other more flexible way.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:44 AM, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

Can somebody explain to me why the show is acting like anyone outside of Gilead would be sympathetic to the Waterford's story?

I am Canadian and no one in Canada would be sympathetic to the Man who ritualistically raped a woman and then claimed the child as his and his wife's child. If they wanted to push the storyline of Nicole/Holly being returned a far more believable angle is Gilead was founded by a coup of the US military, and the remnants of which are far stronger than the Canadian military. Further NATO in without US forces is largely toothless and european powers do not want to send major land forces over to assist Canada risking confrontation with a nuclear armed state with some significant fraction of the US military capability.

That would be far more believable than people sympathizing with Gilead. No one would ever sympathize with Gilead, but it is believable people would appease a state like Gilead to avoid a war they didnt believe they could win.

Ditto from another Canadian.  Especially with the added fact that they use this torture/rape in the name of religion.

15 hours ago, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

The show is acting like Waterford's propaganda is working.

I can sort of understand that. I don't recall hearing Moira, Luke, June or anyone else breathing a word of what goes on in Gilead, despite all the chances they have and had to do so. Are they keeping it a secret or I did miss one of them giving a detailed description of the atrocities?

(edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, AngelaHunter said:

I can sort of understand that. I don't recall hearing Moira, Luke, June or anyone else breathing a word of what goes on in Gilead, despite all the chances they have and had to do so. Are they keeping it a secret or I did miss one of them giving a detailed description of the atrocities?

In previous seasons there was a scene where Fred was complaining about an aunt who had escaped to Canada and he described was telling lies about Gilead. So the show has strongly implied that the outside world knows about the horrors of Gilead. Similar to how any person could educate themselves on what is happening in North Korea or what was happening in areas controlled by ISIS a few years ago.

There was also the reaction of the Canadian representative that was gay. his comments obviously indicated he knew about Gilead's position on homosexuality. That scene sticks out to me because it's so unrealistic. A person working in the diplomatic services would be able to hide their personal opinions. eg. There are many cruel dictatorships in the world ambassadors and foreign ministries try to maintain diplomatic relations.

Edited by CouchPotatoNoLife