Type keyword(s) to search

Knives Out (2019)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wow. Is that just for the right to exclusively show the next two movies? With salaries and production costs to be paid by Netflix later, as the production company? Or will a separate production company foot the bill for those, and the difference between that and Netflix's upfront payment represent the profit to the production company? 

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Wow. Is that just for the right to exclusively show the next two movies? With salaries and production costs to be paid by Netflix later, as the production company? Or will a separate production company foot the bill for those, and the difference between that and Netflix's upfront payment represent the profit to the production company? 

It looks like the production company will continue to be T-Street which is wholly owned by Johnson and his co-EP from Knives Out.  They did the first movie in conjunction with a different production house but it was only a one picture deal.  Lionsgate distributed the first one. 

It's kind of amazing for a director/creator to have so much outright ownership of their movies.  From what I read, it sounds like he's licensing the movies to Netflix which probably means Netflix will get to distribute them worldwide wherever they are and they may get an exclusive deal for a set period of time but Netflix won't own the property. 

And if they wanted to do movies 4 and 5, they could auction them off again like they did with 2 and 3.  Apparently Amazon and Apple were also in the conversation. 

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Wow.  I'm surprised; especially since this was one of the rare mid-budget breakouts at the theaters.  Will cinema only be left for the boring blockbuster? 

I don't go to movies often but I did for this one.  It was so much fun to see in a theater. It was maybe the last movie I saw in a theater pre-COVID (nope, it was Little Women with plans to see Emma but everything shut down then.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the sequels still get a theatrical release. That was the direction Netflix was moving before COVID and the trend of reducing the exclusivity window works in their favor.

Plus, the Oscars allowing streaming movies to be eligible was supposed to be a one-time thing. There’s no way Netflix will pass up the opportunity for the next Knives Out movie to be nominated. 

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

Plus, the Oscars allowing streaming movies to be eligible was supposed to be a one-time thing. There’s no way Netflix will pass up the opportunity for the next Knives Out movie to be nominated. 

Sure but I don't think Netflix was doing wide distribution; although I guess they could buy one of the hobbling chains.

5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sure but I don't think Netflix was doing wide distribution; although I guess they could buy one of the hobbling chains.

True but I think a big factor in that was the exclusivity window. They couldn’t do a wide release even if they wanted with how theatrical movies were handled in the past. That might change now that theaters are in a much weaker position and Universal has already shrunk that window down to 17 days in some cases. Netflix probably can use the big studios forcing theaters to change to their advantage, if they want.

I might have said this before, but it bears repeating.  I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel (or two or three...).  The original was just so... original.  And the cast was perfect.  I feel like it might have been lightning in a bottle, and any sequel will not live up to the original.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I might have said this before, but it bears repeating.  I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel (or two or three...).  The original was just so... original.  And the cast was perfect.  I feel like it might have been lightning in a bottle, and any sequel will not live up to the original.

I saw something on Twitter (that will most likely be proven false) that the next film will be set in Greece.   I can see them making Benoit Blanc into a modern day Poirot type of character--travelling the world stumbling into different crimes with a stable of regular police officers stopping by to assist.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I saw something on Twitter (that will most likely be proven false) that the next film will be set in Greece.   I can see them making Benoit Blanc into a modern day Poirot type of character--travelling the world stumbling into different crimes with a stable of regular police officers stopping by to assist.  

That came from Deadline so it’s probably accurate. They also said filming will begin June 28th. 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I agree. Daniel Craig’s characters is the one I care about the least. The new cast will have to be amazing because Blanc alone isn’t enough to make me watch. 

Based on the cast for the first movie, I would expect no less. I also think a movie like this, without all the big explosions or visual diversions needs a strong cast. So far so good. 

• Love 2
On 1/21/2022 at 9:19 PM, Browncoat said:

Based on the cast, I will be cautiously optimistic, and will probably see it if I get the chance.  But I remain skeptical that a sequel was necessary.

Belatedly, but:  Rian Johnson has more detective stories he'd like to tell, and this is a vehicle for that. This makes sense as a franchise as long as he has more ideas he'd like to explore, and since there's no ongoing story or recurring characters it's not like there's any risk of harming the memory of a preceding film.

• Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, Browncoat said:

The original was just so... original.  And the cast was perfect.  I feel like it might have been lightning in a bottle, and any sequel will not live up to the original.

I really enjoyed this movie and loved the cast especially Chris Evans, yum ;-) I will watch the next sequel but feel as you do about them capturing lightning in a bottle with this movie.

• Like 3