Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Kill Me

• Start Topic

(edited)

Renata’s suit was awesome until she stood up and there was that big blue panel down her arse...

Wrap up an Emmy for Nicole in her scenes with the twins at dinner and bedtime....

called it about Corey July 1

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 17
(edited)

I think he's a cop.  That's my pet theory, anyway.

I win!!!

Edited by zobot81
I guess it's not a win bc it was super obvious to everyone already?
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Think we all saw that curly mop, puppy dog eyed mofo as the popo a mile away.....

I thought the suspicion was that he was Perry's brother or son or something like that?  I didn't think related to Perry or popo mainly because those coincidences felt a step too far. 

I love Ed all the time but especially tonight when he was telling Nathan that they should just live peacefully not liking one another or his "seriously" in the car when Maddie was singing Natural Woman after Aretha.  That right there was good reason for him to divorce her. 

I do appreciate how the Mary Louise story is bringing things full circle to the events of the finale last season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

They wouldn't have had Mary Louise drop that nugget about Perry's dad starting a new family for no reason. I still have money on Corey being Perry's half brother. And since we're doing that, I called Corey being a cop/informant on Jun 23. 😁

ML's take down of Renata was masterful. She hones in on people's vulnerabilities and exploits them.

• Love 19
(edited)

Can’t be too deep undercover if you’re gonna park right in front of the police station Corey....

Who was watching Tory pushing her rack into Ed’s face...at the table, seated in the dark?

Madeline’s cheat? So dark couldn’t see clearly....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Can’t be too deep undercover if you’re gonna park right in front of the police station Corey....

Who was watching Tory pushing her rack into Ed’s face...at the table, seated in the dark?

Madeline’s cheat? So dark couldn’t see clearly....

yeah, I think that was him (her husband).

• Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't think related to Perry or popo mainly because those coincidences felt a step too far. 

Yep. Everyone who "called it" gets a booby prize along with the show runners for lazy writing. 😛

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, gibasi said:

I question whether any police department would waste the resources putting an undercover cop on these ladies. But if that is where they want to go okay. You are a soap opera.

Or work with the lawyer of the mother-in-law/grandmother to try to set it up where she is open to testifying in a court of law about it.  Maybe since she approached the police but still...

Not that it's taking away from my enjoyment of the show but definitely a bit of a stretch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm not quite ready to call Corey a cop just yet. He could be Bonnie's 1/2 brother with all the talk about protecting her. Lots of cheating to go around both in the past and maybe the present.

This felt like filler a bit. Nothing especially enlightening came out. Still interested, though.

• Love 5

I'm not sure anything can top season one's finale episode. That was absolutely excellent.

Celeste seems to be the most unaware lawyer around.

What's going to happen to Jane?

What Bonnie going to do?

Renata is a firecracker this season!

Why was Madeline driving? To show she's the assertive one in the marriage?

• Love 5
(edited)
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Corey as an undercover cop makes no sense to me. Do police officers even do that kind of "work"?

Apparently they do, they can go deep undercover and hook up with a partner and live the lie for months. Thing is, it's usually done to take down major drug cartels, not for lowly custody battles. 😀

Edited by ferjy
despcription for more emphasis
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Apparently they do, they can go deep undercover hook up with a partner and live the lie for months. Thing is, it's usually done to take down drug cartels, not for custody battles. 😀

Cops, though? I thought it was just FBI agents that sometimes did that sort of thing? Either way, it doesn't make sense for something that's not even officially a murder case.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
(edited)

There are wayyyyyyyy too many driving scenes.  Wayyyyy too many.  And knowing the needless dramatics of this show, I'm always waiting for someone to crash.

Jane's character is always wearing a full face of makeup, even when she's waking up.  It makes zero sense.

I found this episode really boring.  I'll continue to watch every week, but this show doesn't come near to being one of my favourites.  I envy those who get so much out of it.  I do love how the show actually shows several multiracial characters and growing up with different raced parents, though.  That's when I can actually relate to something.  A lot of TV shows and movies are too cowardly to show this.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
(edited)
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Cops, though? I thought it was just FBI agents that sometimes did that sort of thing? Either way, it doesn't make sense for something that's not even officially a murder case.

True, and he's too young for an FBI agent, but I guess he could be an informer pressured into the job.  But your point is exactly what I was implying. I amended my post for more emphasis. As if they'd go to that trouble for a custody case or even a murder of an abusive husband.

Edited by ferjy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

ML's take down of Renata was masterful. She hones in on people's vulnerabilities and exploits them.

I gasped when she said that. Ouch but damn ML is good!

Idk if it is the way the episodes are filmed or if I need to adjust the settings on my TV, but I often find it difficult to make out what is happening. My screen is always dark. I have NO idea what happened at the end with the police outside. They showed Corey? Was it briefly?

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, answerphone said:

Why was Madeline driving? To show she's the assertive one in the marriage?

Thematically--maybe because she's taking charge of this weekend get away.  But in practicality, maybe she prefers driving, maybe she gets carsick...etc.

31 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

To bring up Perry's death, wouldn't a lawyer have to prove relevance to the custody case?

I'm not a lawyer so the only thing I could think of is that, because it's a civil case, there might be more leeway to bring it up.  Their goal isn't to get her to admit it in a court of law; it's to get her to say something they can use to pursue a perjury case against her.

• Love 3
(edited)

Another weird thing about this episode.  Screenshots of Reese in that outfit, throwing ice cream at Meryl Streep have been circulating all year.  Yet, for some reason, they cut that scene from the episode after all this anticipation?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Corey as an undercover cop makes no sense to me. 

I agree. I’m not really sure what’s going on, but that doesn’t seem plausible. My thought was that he got pulled in for some offense and we saw him being released. Or maybe pulled in to be questioned because of his relationship with Jane, not that he was set up to get involved with her. Honestly, I’m kind of worried that he has some offense concerning minors in his past, just because of how quickly he wanted to meet Ziggy.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Renata has the best friggin lines. "Honey, everything's not all about money. <pause> Okay, it is. But..."

Since we're all about getting our soothsaying out early, I'm making the call that Gordon (Is that his name? Renata's husband?) is gonna kill himself. Something about the way he was watching them swim, and his expression last week when she gave her dream-killer speech.

I don't have kids, don't want them, but my heart welled a little at the tuck-in time scene. How sweet that they want to protect Celeste. I mean, they got the genes for it, right? <ouch!> That little shit at the playground deserved it.

• Love 17

Sadly tooting my own horn on this prediction.

37202690-7C2E-4046-AF88-0B6053A3427C.thumb.jpeg.f3e0f24e148a5af3fcd3fb2192da89fa.jpeg

But it’s, well nice isn’t the right word, I guess different to have the mother be the past source of abuse still affecting a woman instead of the father.  And the father be the “weak” parent who didn’t prevent it.

• Useful 6
  • Love 8

I’m so glad we got more detail on Renatas kitchen. It’s fabulous!  Also her suit was amazing. This episode was weird and I’m very, very concerned about Celeste. What if Mary Louise is actually right? Celeste has been acting very strangely and she seems drugged all the time.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I gasped when she said that. Ouch but damn ML is good!

Idk if it is the way the episodes are filmed or if I need to adjust the settings on my TV, but I often find it difficult to make out what is happening. My screen is always dark. I have NO idea what happened at the end with the police outside. They showed Corey? Was it briefly?

Yes, Bonnie was walking up to the police station when she stopped because she saw Corey coming out. 

19 hours ago, Bama said:

Sadly tooting my own horn on this prediction.

37202690-7C2E-4046-AF88-0B6053A3427C.thumb.jpeg.f3e0f24e148a5af3fcd3fb2192da89fa.jpeg

But it’s, well nice isn’t the right word, I guess different to have the mother be the past source of abuse still affecting a woman instead of the father.  And the father be the “weak” parent who didn’t prevent it.

I got the impression that Bonnie was abused and Bonnie's mom didn't believe her accusations. (what did you do this time?) And Bonnie's dad tried to keep the peace but didn't really protect her. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I got the impression that Bonnie was abused and Bonnie's mom didn't believe her accusations. (what did you do this time?) And Bonnie's dad tried to keep the peace but didn't really protect her. 

We’ve seen scenes in Bonnie’s flashbacks, of her mother being rough with her. And tonight her father mentioned her mother’s rage. So it’s looking more like the mother is the abuser. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, jenn31 said:

We’ve seen scenes in Bonnie’s flashbacks, of her mother being rough with her. And tonight her father mentioned her mother’s rage. So it’s looking more like the mother is the abuser. 

Thanks. I feel like I have to go back and rewatch this season. I think I've been watching some episodes with one eye closed.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, jenn31 said:

And there’s the fact that Bonnie’s Mom had a drinking issue in the past.

So disappointed to see Corey bouncing out of the police station... poor Jane...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gibasi said:

I question whether any police department would waste the resources putting an undercover cop on these ladies. But if that is where they want to go okay. You are a soap opera.

Yeah especially a small town one.

What was the cop going to do, lure Jane into a sexual relationship and also get close to her kid?

Maybe more of an informant.  Don’t think cops could cross that line and produce admissible evidence.

So Bonnie was victim of an abusive mother?  She seemed to be more blunt than abusive before she had the stroke.  In fact I was thinking they gave her some good lines before they muted her.

Renata thought she could manipulate Mary Louise, who was thinking the same, kept trolling Renata about lack of furniture.

Yeah no agenda my ass.

Now one of the twins calls Celeste a bitch.  But she can’t knock him down because of the custody battle.

Meanwhile Chloe makes Ed tear up, while Madeleine couldn’t move him with all her declarations of contrition or dragging him to that hippy-dippy, meander like zombies, hug a stranger therapy.

Monterey Five are going to have their pact put to the legal test in the custody case.  Hmm, kind of forcing two subplots together?  Or maybe ML’s ultimate plan is to have them all testify in court, forcing them to double down in court.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wish they hadn't cut that ice cream tossing scene!

Mary-Louise is just masterful at the passive-agressive jabs - Renata was actually speechless. Apart from some great parent/child scenes, this episode felt like more filler. I really hope there are some more revelations about Perry's growing up, and how he came to be an abuser. Celeste needs to get her shit together.

Laying on a yoga mat and singing along to Chicago is about the least relaxing thing I can think of.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, jenn31 said:

15 minutes ago, nb360 said:

And there’s the fact that Bonnie’s Mom had a drinking issue in the past.

20 minutes ago, HollyG said:

Thanks. I feel like I have to go back and rewatch this season. I think I've been watching some episodes with one eye closed.

Actually I think HollyG might be on to something. The father actually said he wanted to make the rage go away but didn’t specify whose rage. Could have been Bonnie’s rage at her abuser. And the mother could have started drinking because of the incident. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, scrb said:

So Bonnie was victim of an abusive mother?  She seemed to be more blunt than abusive before she had the stroke.

When we first saw her, they hinted the mother once had a drinking problem but appears to have cut back on it substantially.  I suspect she was a mean drunk and that her abusive episodes happened when she was inebriated. But the scars remained for Bonnie.

15 minutes ago, scrb said:

Yeah especially a small town one.

My only explanation is that they're interested because he had money even if it's not Renata level of money.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Actually I think HollyG might be on to something. The father actually said he wanted to make the rage go away but didn’t specify whose rage. Could have been Bonnie’s rage at her abuser. And the mother could have started drinking because of the incident. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Good point. It was kind of ambiguous. Could go either way.

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m still confused about hiring a lawyer to get custody of grandchild. If there was neglect or unsafe  environment then   CPS would step in grandparents have no rights to even see grandchildren unless they took care or had custody at some point.  I was watching with a friend who left room several times kso I did not see Cory at police station.  

The bar scene  was creepy with the pawing of Ed while husband was sitting watching. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Word
  • Love 10
(edited)
34 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

The bar scene  was creepy with the pawing of Ed while husband was sitting watching. 

That was really creepy. I thought the couple were trying to invite him to have a 3-way or something. I didn't know it was the guy that Madeline cheated with until I came here and read it in a post. So knowing who they are makes it even creepier. Run Ed.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 18
(edited)
4 hours ago, sashayshante said:

They wouldn't have had Mary Louise drop that nugget about Perry's dad starting a new family for no reason. I still have money on Corey being Perry's half brother. And since we're doing that, I called Corey being a cop/informant on Jun 23. 😁

She also asked Abigail about college knowing it would push Maddie's buttons. She is STONE COLD, that woman.

22 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

The bar seen was creepy with the pawing of Ed while husband was sitting watching. 

This might be too lurid for even this show, but I wonder if the Bachmans were playing with Ed like a weird sex thing (like cuckolding). Or I could just be a pervert and I'm sorry.

I like the Ed/Maddy story because usually it's a story about a woman being cheated on after a man has a "moment of weakness" and how the couple rebounds (or doesn't), so it's an interesting perspective for me. Kind of how the Bonnie story inverses the conventional gender roles with her mom as the stronger personality, if not abusive, and dad as the passive one.

It might be subtle but I am a twin boy, and I think the writing of and acting by the twins has been REALLY good. One of the twins (Max?) is a lot more aggressive and is usually the instigator. I like that they're not written as completely interchangeable.

I *kind* of want a show in 20 years of Amabella as an adult, because what a weird thing to go from rags-to-riches as a precocious second grader. 

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, SHD said:

My thought was that he got pulled in for some offense and we saw him being released.

It’ll turn out that he got a parking ticket and being on the spectrum, he had to rush in to pay it promptly. 😀

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

This might be too lurid for even this show, but I wonder if the Bachmans were playing with Ed like a weird sex thing (like cuckolding). Or I could just be a pervert and I'm sorry.

I've been trying to figure out what that scene meant and my mind went there too--that it was a cuckold scenario.  Or the husband giving her the option for a revenge fuck.  I'm assuming she knows about the affair. I initially read her new boobs as an attempt to look more attractive to her straying hubby.  Maybe I read that wrong and Ed was her target all along and that was her attempt to get him to notice her sexually.  I didn't think he was looking at her implants when she started talking about them in the grocery store. It was just one more random encounter for Ed at the time.

Or maybe they were an open relationship all along.  I don't remember much about the affair and what his wife knew. I do think he wanted to leave his wife to be with her but is it possible that was just a lie?  That he had no intention of leaving his wife and she knew all along?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ZootSuitWyatt said:

yeah, I think that was him (her husband).

Haven't seen this ep - I haven't got access to season 2 just yet, but am being bad and reading along with all the reaction anyway, as spoilers. But I'm surprised to see references to Tori's husband - actor Santiago Cabrera when asked about S2 said he'd been invited back but the dates didn't work out so he couldn't do it. Have they recast the role? Or keeping Joseph to the shadows in a non-speaking capacity, with his wife stepping into the limelight?

5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Corey as an undercover cop makes no sense to me. Do police officers even do that kind of "work"?

They do in the UK - there have been some high profile cases in court recently where police officers went undercover for years, slept with and even married and had children with women involved in the activist groups they were infiltrating. Whether or not US cops employ similar tactics, and whether or not they would go to such lengths to try to prove a murder had been committed when the death has already been ruled accidental, that's another matter entirely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There are wayyyyyyyy too many driving scenes.  Wayyyyy too many.  And knowing the needless dramatics of this show, I'm always waiting for someone to crash.

Especially over that bridge. I wonder if that means something.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Mary Louise isn't making sense to me as a character. She seems like a tool the writers are using to aggravate the other characters as much as possible, and raise the tension in a soapy way - as opposed to an actual human being.

They've made it seem like she's doing anything she can to get control and information. But then why would she blatantly antagonize Renata? If she was looking for control, she would have played nice with her, tried to get some info out of her, and used Renata's influence to her advantage.

Or is she just furious about Perry, and hellbent on punishing the women who she thinks murdered him? If that's the case, then why would she offer to withdraw her guardianship bid in exchange for weekend custody - thereby losing her shot at a perjury trap?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Corey must have one stone cold heart to lie to Jane (and Ziggy) that way.  Man.  (I agree that for the police to devote so much time and resources to this case is ridiculous.)

I want to see one of the twins push grandma down the steps.  No doubt the story behind her other son dying will come out in court.  Maybe that's what will swing things into Celeste's favor.  Or maybe she'll have some sort of insidious remark for the judge, the same way she got under Renata's skin without even blinking.

I think I'm back to being on Team Ed (not that I ever really left) but I still think he should move out while he makes up his mind.  (The thing about the bar scene that confused me was I thought the other guy had died.  No?)

If the women would just tell the truth and face the consequences this would all be over.

• Love 3

Poor Ed.

Dude can't go on a bike ride  or have a cuppa joe without Nathan wanting to pick a fight.

Now he has to fend himself from Tori's advances, implants and an invitation to some kind of tit for tat sex scenario....yes, pun intended....

• LOL 3
  • Love 13