Type keyword(s) to search

Shōgun In The Media

• Start Topic

‘Shōgun’: Hiroyuki Sanada & Cosmo Jarvis To Star In FX Limited Series

Hiroyuki Sanada (The Twilight Samurai) and Cosmo Jarvis (Lady Macbeth) have been tapped as two of the three leads in Shōgun, FX’s limited series based on James Clavell’s bestselling novel. Sanada and Jarvis will play the male leads, Yoshii Toranaga and John Blackthorne, respectively, in the project, which tells the story from both a Western and Japanese perspective.

Written by Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, Shōgun is set in feudal Japan. It charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne (Jarvis), a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga (Sanada), a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties who must prove her value and allegiance.

• Love 1

‘Shōgun’: Anna Sawai Joins Hiroyuki Sanada & Cosmo Jarvis In FX Limited Series; Full Cast Set

Anna Sawai (F9: The Final Saga, Giri/Haji) is set to star alongside Hiroyuki Sanada and Cosmo Jarvis, rounding out the three leads in Shōgun, FX’s limited series period drama based on the best-selling novel by James Clavell. Additionally, Tadanobu Asano, Fumi Nikaido, Tokuma Nishioka, Takehiro Hira, Ako, Shinnosuke Abe, Yasunari Takeshima, Hiroto Kanai, Toshi Toda, Hiro Kanagawa, Nestor Carbonell, Yuki Kura, Tommy Bastow, Moeka Hoshi, Yoriko Doguchi and Yuka Kouri round out the ensemble cast in the project, which tells the story from both a Western and Japanese perspective.

• Love 1

Well, I'll chime in.  I was strangely raised in a household in which me and my 2 sibs were not allowed to see many movies or tv.  But for some reason, my Mom read Shogun, let us watch the original miniseries, and read the book!!!  Minds blown.  There is the slightly/somewhat difficult issue of explaining non-whites or non-Westerners through a white, Western character, but it was still very well written, very new for the time, and very well acted.  I am very sorry to hear about Yoko Shimada.  Even if she learned to pronounce the English, she made you feel what her character was trying to say or trying to hide.  I'm happy to hear about this new version.  Hiroyuki Sanada is one of those actors you can't take your eyes away from.  Unforch I have still not finished Giri/Haji, and the only thing I saw Cosmo Jarvis in was a version of Jane Austen's Persuasion I really did not care for.  But the acting seemed fine even though the writing was not to my taste.  So, in conclusion, Yay!

• Love 2

My daughter and SIL paid me a surprise visit this weekend, which was lovely.  We were in Chinatown in Chicago, but in a Japanese restaurant and my daughter asked about Shogun.  There is still no premiere date?  Why?  Meanwhile I haven't been to see John Wick 4 yet, but noticed Hiroyuki Sanada is in the ad briefly.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

Is there a reason she has an English accent rather than Japanese? Maybe raised in England, or something similar?

Not unless they've changed something. It's a little disconcerting to hear (after the brilliant Yoko Shimada in the original series). But - no judgement until seeing the new one.

BTW, the book is epic. There's time to read before February! 

Finally an air date, or time frame, anyway. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Anduin said:

Looks good! I'm not familiar with the book. Is there a reason she has an English accent rather than Japanese? Maybe raised in England, or something similar?

The book is fantastic. (As I remember. I read it decades ago.)

• Like 2

Very excited.  I am not sure why Mariko is in an action scene?  Maybe I don't remember.  As far as accents go, tv shows seem to be playing fast and loose with them sometimes.  I just started watching a BBC detective show set in Amsterdam, in which all the detectives speak with British accents?  :-(🤨

My brother and I were goofing off on Thanksgiving and went through the cast list on imdb.com.  There were oddities about the episodes list -- i.e., Buntaro, Mariko's husband, is listed for 1 episode.  I assume that is lack of data?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daisychain said:

My brother and I were goofing off on Thanksgiving and went through the cast list on imdb.com.  There were oddities about the episodes list -- i.e., Buntaro, Mariko's husband, is listed for 1 episode.  I assume that is lack of data?

From what I've noticed, yes. A lot of info is only added after the appropriate episode has aired. I don't know why.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

From what I've noticed, yes. A lot of info is only added after the appropriate episode has aired. I don't know why.

Possibly because the actors signed a confidentiality clause or info was added by fans after watching.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2023 at 7:03 PM, AnimeMania said:

Shōgun   first two episodes on February 27, 2024         Hulu/FX   10 episodes

Ooh, that'll be a nice birthday present for me, I approve! 🥳

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Will this be shown on both FX and Hulu or only on Hulu? If on FX, any idea of the time?

Hulu and FX at 10pm

I question the time since the premiere is supposed to be 2 episodes. This is probably the right time for the rest of the episodes.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
On 1/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, AnimeMania said:

Hulu and FX at 10pm

I question the time since the premiere is supposed to be 2 episodes. This is probably the right time for the rest of the episodes.

It wouldn't surprise me if FX has the 2-episode premiere go from 10 to midnight. I thought I saw them do that once before recently, but I can't recall which program

• Like 1
On 1/27/2024 at 12:27 PM, DanaK said:

It wouldn't surprise me if FX has the 2-episode premiere go from 10 to midnight. I thought I saw them do that once before recently, but I can't recall which program

Update on the time for the 2 episode premiere. According to my DVR, the first episode is at 10pm ET and the second one is at 11:30pm

• Like 1

new_red-band_trailer_shogun_samurai-seri

Shōgun is a gory and brutal 10 episode TV Series, with the first two episodes on February 27, 2024 streaming on Hulu and airing on FX at 10pm. The majority of dialogue is in Japanese, with English subtitles.

67758caebb7c34a1a8dce2ba6cdb29166b18fa84

Shōgun, which is based on 1975 novel of the same name by James Clavell. Shōgun is set in Japan in the year 1600 at the dawn of a century-defining civil war. Lord Yoshii Toranaga is fighting for his life and the life and his family, as his enemies on the Council of Regents unite against him. A mysterious English ship is marooned in a nearby fishing village as John Blackthorne arrives, bearing secrets that could help Toranaga tip the scales of power and devastate the formidable influence of Blackthorne’s own enemies — the Jesuit priests and Portuguese merchants. Toranaga’s and Blackthorne’s fates become inextricably tied to their translator, Toda Mariko, a mysterious Christian.

poster.png

John Blackthorne, unable to speak Japanese, becomes mistaken for a pirate as a Jesuit priest purposely mistranslates why he is in Japan. The Portuguese, who have a foothold in Japan as Missionaries for the Catholic faith, resent any English Protestants' presence in Japan. While serving her lord amidst this fraught political landscape, Mariko must reconcile her newfound companionship with Blackthorne, her commitment to the Catholic faith that saved her and her duty to her late father who was branded as an infamous samurai traitor.

shogun-Lady-Mariko-3.png

05903a99-0300-4972-8201-004e1700278b.jpe

Ako as Lady Iyo/Daiyoin, the graceful and dignified consort wife of the late Taikō. After her husband’s death, she became the Buddhist nun known as Daiyoin. She is loyal to Toranaga and knows many dark secrets.

dd790632-33da-455b-880a-e36b41a7310d.jpg

Fumi Nikaido as Ruri/Ochiba No Kata (Lady Ochiba), the revered mother of Yaechiyo, the Heir, whose father is the deceased Taikō. She will stop at nothing to put an end to Toranaga and his threat to her son’s power.

5576d21e-a911-40ed-955e-a25e75f68d2c.jpg

Takehiro Hira as Ishido Kazunari, A former peasant who rose to become a powerful bushō, a member of the Council of Regents, the Protector of Osaka Castle, Toranaga’s chief rival with a distaste for the highborn.

?width=700&size=1.5&pixel_ratio=3

Hiroyuki Sanada as Lord Yoshii Toranaga, a powerful bushō, a daimyo of lord of the Kanto Region, fighting for his life and his family's life, threatened by the Council of Regents in Osaka Castle, a brilliant strategist and a master of the long game.

FXs-Shogun-021624-tout-06ea44df816f4bbfb

ea569636-b7a1-4762-a820-5cd17b289352.jpg

Yoriko Dōguchi as Kiri no Kata, the Consort wife to Toranaga, an affectionate, yet steadfast and vigilant partner to the great warlord. She is fiercely protective of the lord and her family.

7c2fa915-15d3-4327-9a8e-ccc5fee97b52.jpg

Yuki Kura as Yoshii Nagakado, the bold and brash son of Toranaga, he adores his father and has a strong desire to prove himself, but forgets to use common sense.

shogun-fx-yabushige.jpg

Tadanobu Asano as Kashigi Yabushige, a notorious backstabber and jovial double-dealer, charismatic, brilliant and brutal, the Lord of Izu who serves Toranaga. 

68ea47da-51bf-410e-84ab-224711c7d855.jpg

Shogun-5.jpeg

Hiroto Kanai as Kashigi Omi, Yabushige’s nephew, the lord of Ajiro, smart, political, brimming with potential, his calculating mind proves useful to powerful people, he controls the fishing village where Blackthorne’s ship was found.

fe3c9d3c-503b-4ee9-bd93-eb20c13f6f30.jpg

182a4e2d-6146-41b5-a0ef-bf97ed628754.jpg

Yuka Kouri as Kiku, the most deft, accomplished and skilled courtesan, renowned throughout Izu, she is perceptive and ambitious and shares a special relationship with Omi. 

dd4a2f3b-c128-4534-b96c-d2de212222f8.jpg

Tokuma Nishioka as Toda Hiromatsu, Toranaga’s trusted general and closest friend.

c89bfbbb-be44-47da-a24d-b50f987f06e6.jpg

Moeka Hoshi as Usami Fuji, the highborn wife of one of Toranaga's samurai who volunteers himself and his child to commit seppuku after a lapse in etiquette, the granddaughter of Hiromatsu. 

b830979d-a005-4a86-a887-33e4493f2071.jpg

Shinnosuke Abe as Toda “Buntaro” Hirokatsu, Mariko’s chauvinistic, stoic samurai husband, exceptional in strength and skill in battle. Fiercely loyal to his lord, Toranaga. His father is Hiromatsu.

Shogun-4.jpg

Anna Sawai as Lady Toda Mariko, a samurai noblewoman converted to the Catholic faith, who can speak English, chosen to translate for John Blackthorne. Mariko is highly educated, fiercely loyal, and trusted by her lord, Toranaga. Wife of Buntaro. 

770072bc-22d9-4a63-89df-4fb642a19496.jpe

5b1a6f3b-dd31-46f7-b4eb-8608fbdacc1d.jpe

Cosmo Jarvis as John Blackthorne, the pilot of a English ship marooned in a Japanese fishing village after encountering a raging storm, his fate is in the hands of the Japanese. Blackthorne was sent to Japan to disrupt the progress that the Portuguese and Spanish were making in Japan. 

3003f5dd-b292-448a-afa2-9b7c38ecf72e.jpg

Yasunari Takeshima as Muraji, a hardworking fisherman and pious Christian, the headman of Ajiro Village devoted to his lord, Toranaga.

d4623c99-5f00-449b-af8a-31e6560396ef.jpg

Tommy Bastow as Father Martin Alvito, a thoughtful, empathetic, sensitive Portuguese priest, who is a skilled translator and has lived in Japan since childhood. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Thanks AnimeMaria for posting those characters/casting!  Yes, I am in Central Zone (Chicago), and my Youtube.tv is showing the first episode at 9:00 pm. So that would be the FX airing and I assume Hulu is the same, but I haven't checked. Friends, it's finally here!  Could not be more excited.  I am happy to have read that Hiroyuki Sanada is a producer and had a lot of influence on the depiction of Japanese culture.  I saw an interview with him and Anna Sawai and it was both insightful and sweet.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 7:10 AM, mledawn said:

There is an official show podcast that is available after each episode. In that podcast they talk about how for simplicity with the show we must assume they're speaking Portuguese for the most part but that Blackthorne does speak Spanish and Dutch as he was on a Dutch ship.

If you have more time to listen, running over two hours for the episodes so far I might suggest the Mangum Talks Shogun podcast.  It is a pop culture and not history podcast