Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

LOTR: The TV Series In The Media

It's moving back to Kiwiland. Specifically, Auckland. Apparently preproduction started over a year ago. Thanks to Adam Whitehead.

Y'know, NZ is closer to Australia than Scotland, making it potentially easier for me to visit and spy on the set. Furthermore, it already looks like Middle-earth. There would be a lot of institutional and actual knowledge of how to do LOTR things. So I suppose this is good.

Still no experienced producer attached. I liked a tweet from JMS a couple of weeks ago.

I would give a lung to do LOTR as a series. Preferably yours, but it's the thought that counts.

Edited by Anduin · Reason: Forgot the links.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sounds like a great team but I still can't get over Tyra.  Tyra?

Adam Whitehead thinks it's a code, she might be playing one of the queens of Numenor. Numenorean monarchical names all had the Tar- prefix. Or she might be one of the other established women from the time period. Only time will tell.

I'm cautiously optimistic about these writers. Some have experience as producers, which was needed.

• Like 1

Yeah, Tyra has to be code. My money's on young Galadriel, if you squint she does look a bit like Cate Blanchett. Also: Numenorians had dark hair, even their distant heirs were dark-haired. Not that that bothered Jackson when he cast Boromir and Faramir.

• Like 2

So, here are some tidbits about what they can do and what not - in my opinion that's all pretty vague and I don't like the part about 'inventing characters'. It's not as if Tolkien hasn't produced enough characters already - just ask C.S. Not another f**** Elf! Lewis. But since they are bound to the Second Age focusing on Nùmenor they probably need to fill in the tales with a couple of common people to go along with all the Tars.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/09/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-cannot-use-much-of-tolkiens-plot (and that's one misleading headline).

And once again the story I would really like to hear in detail won't make it: what happened to Arnor. Tolkien left that all pretty vague but there are several starting points for great plots: the rise of the Witch-king and Angmar, what happened in the Barrow-Downs and who the hell owned that green brooch??? *sigh*

As for the promo clip: I don't recall ever seeing a promo about a show that focused so much on the production team and their accolades. Amazon seems keen to convince everybody that they know what they are doing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

And once again the story I would really like to hear in detail won't make it: what happened to Arnor. Tolkien left that all pretty vague but there are several starting points for great plots: the rise of the Witch-king and Angmar, what happened in the Barrow-Downs and who the hell owned that green brooch??? *sigh*

That would be great. (I actually got out my copy of ROTK to check the timeline to make sure that wasn’t Third Age.). I’m excited about Numenor though, as long as it’s not a retread of King’s Landing. 

This might be good news. The show has been renewed for season 2 already, but that means a hiatus in the S1 filming schedule. So it seems we're getting S2 earlier than we would otherwise, at the expense of a later S1.

Personally, while I can see the logic in renewing the show and getting going on S2, I'd rather see S1 sooner and then a longer break between.

Morfydd Clark. Someone had better make an audio clip of how to pronounce that, because Wales is the nation where Aiofe is apparently pronounced Efa.

• Laugh 2

Well, she certainly looks the part (and by that I don't mean just resembling Cate Blanchett) and Tolkien would probably approve of a Welsh Galadriel.

Meanwhile: this does not sound like a casting call for Nùmenorians (starts at 2:18).