Type keyword(s) to search

Clip Recommendation: So Many Clips to Choose From!

Anybody else a little disappointed by "News Your Own Adventure"? There were some great bits, including the Go Fuck Yourself Choir (and Jon's shimmying) and Jon and Stephen engaging in Super PAC shenngans. But everything felt like it came from 2009 at the earliest. What about the orgasm that was the end of the 2008 election, with Stephen breaking character and crying a little? Maybe I'm biased because I own the Indecision 2004 DVD set, and I loved Stephen challenging Jon to a duel (a la Zell Miller). We only got one bit with Stephen, and one with John-With-An-H. I think I prefer the mid-2000s TDS team and John.

Nice to see Lewis Black be volatile. That never gets old. Maybe we can vote on which "Back In Black" bit was the best for the show's 20th birthday in 2016. I keep coming back to his commentary on video games, ending with Grand Theft Auto 3. "Rescuing the princess is for pussies!!" Good times.

• Love 2

If they based the winners on the votes, then it doesn't surprise me that newer segments won. Not that I don't think some representation from older clips would have been out of line - I would have loved some stuff from the elections in 2000 and 2004.

Hopefully it will all continue to live on line so we can access it for many years to come...

• Love 1

So many clips to choose from....

On the one hand - poor representation from the Bush era.  On the other hand - the clips chosen shows that the Daily Show is still very much relevant.

I would have replaced the favorite characters John created to the best impressions.  But there may be  segment coming up this week featuring his impressions.  There better be....

• Love 1

Ok so there were some pros and cons to the special, even though it's mere intention is to present the winners. 

Pros: I really like that they'd stay true to their political roots by satirizing the special as an election with the categories as significant races. Lewis Black as the significant Anger Expert justifies why he totally fit Anger in "Inside Out". Jessica Williams taking the lead is a nice refreshing change, especially since she is the most senior out of the 3 in-house correspondents, and "Baby" Hasan (probably my nickname for him until they bring in more correspondents) reflects everyone's feelings about Jon's final week. Also, I thought after the clip before panning to Hasan, he was a shipper of Stewbert.

And Cons: Yea, I'm with everyone saying that the "races" and the "winners" weren't great representations of Jonny-bun's 17-year legacy. Even the 2012-ish winners felt less nostalgic and more relevant. Like my fellow commenters, it needs more Bush and pre-Obama nostalgia. I feel like the Month of Zen was already a good time capsule of Jon's legacy, so this special was completely filler. But it doesn't matter, cuz we gotta cherish what's left of Jon starting tomorrow.

• Love 1

So glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering why they didn't air the clip where Stephen broke character and ended the bit by eating that banana.

I do wish the clip where Jon tells that blonde fembot, from Fox, can't recall her name, who basically said that Costas should shut up, when Costas talked about gun control during half-time, I think? And Jon came back with why is she talking? If I could have climbed through my teevee when I first saw that, I would have laid one on Jon. That twat, along with the others, annoys me to no end.

Some of the "winning" clips disappointed me, and I wish they'd shown the "runners-up", but the lack of clips prior to 2009 was one of the bigger WTF aspects for me.

It was weird to see the set used without a live audience and the show probably wouldn't have seemed so flat if they'd had one.

• Love 1