Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Auditions 5

• Start Topic

Variety acts of all types and contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win the $1 million prize. The Golden Buzzer is still in play and could send one lucky act directly to the live shows at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to compete for America's vote.

(edited)
  • Wasn't really paying attention to the knife throwing violinist. When they finished I looked up and just thought "why is she only wearing one shoe?" 
  • I liked the kid dancers but I really wish they'd stop with the random slow-motion in the dance performances. 
  • "What's your other song?...I think you should come back later..." STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! That whole thing went on way too long. This bit is old, Simon.
  • Then when he finally sang a whole damn song...meh. (And no, Gabrielle, I don't believe for a second he just learned that song. And no, Terry, not seeing the "star" quality there.) 
  • Death has a dog named Gordon.
  • Death and Julianne apparently have the same makeup artist.
  • How come Death doesn't get to come back and try a better joke?
  • Call me heartless but...too many crying South Africans.
  • VR psychology is a talent?
  • I really hate listening to them talk to kids. 
  • Jackie Evancho II?
  • Aw, doggie. 🙂
  • [Does anyone else ever have their enter and arrow keys stop working in the comment box? It only happens on this site, every so often. I just reloaded the page and they're working again.]
  • Can't do sad stories tonight, sorry shadow dancer group. Had to leave the room.
  • Montage of people talking about golden buzzer...*looks at clock* 9:52...gee, could it be this guy in the golden jacket who's telling his story now?
  • OMG get on with it already.
  • Really? O kay. (I didn't mean to put a space in there but it actually better conveys the way I said it in my head so I'm leaving it.)
  • Well, then. Till next week.
Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Why am I thinking of the Harlem Globetrotters when seeing Terry in his patriotic attire?

Husband and wife, music/danger act...almost of like Paul Potts, Brian King Joseph and Deadly Games all rolled up into one. I was not expecting that. That's a brave woman holding the knife with her feet. I get nervous using the paper cutter at work! But if she has been practicing for years, I guess there's not much fear there.

The singer/guitarist...seems like a sequel of Daniel Emmet with that whole episode. Beginning with Simon asking him if he had another song, and then insisting that he learn another song. We'll see if he gets cut on Judge Cuts and then brought back as a wild card, and (Dunkin') saved...and saved again. Just like Daniel Emmet. His voice makes me think of Adam Levine, for some strange reason. A low rent one. And this is what we got after all of that drama. Contrived drama no less.

I wonder if with "Death's" story ("My father is God and my mother is Mother Nature. They divorced, and I was fourteen-million years old...which is a hard age...") if he was trying to be funny, or mocking some of the sob stories?

People may disagree with me (and I do wish there were less singers), but I rather enjoyed the choir from South Africa. There was some different things going on with the vocals and it blended together beautifully, I think. That performance had a beautiful energy about it. I just hope we don't hear any "Greatest Showman" songs from them if we see them in Judge Cuts. Sorry to bring that up again.  It's just that we were overloaded with it last year.

Emman is a cute girl and seems very sweet. Lovely voice. We'll see if she can make herself stand out from the many other opera singers that the ...Got Talent shows had.

I found Luka and Falco to be a sweet act. There's a lot of love there with them.

I've seen a few silhouette/shape dancers before, but I appreciated that they had a combination of the live dancers and the silhouette dancers in this performance. Even though we've seen similar stories on ...Got Talent, I found this story that they told touching.

So it's 9:53pm which means...its Golden Buzzer time! (...Or is it?) And the judges point out that Julianne is the only judge not to hit the Golden Buzzer. We meet Mr. Trigger (I already forgot his first name) who introduces himself as a dancer. Initially, I'm thinking, "I knew Julianne's GB would be a dancer...I KNEW it!" But as I watch him perform, I'm thinking, "I don't know if Julianne will hit the GB." But he does it for himself. (Interesting that it goes off, since when Ms. Retriever pushed it, it did not work) Mr. Trigger is a character for sure. I'll give him that.

That was an unexpected closing segment for this episode, so I tip my hat off to AGT (and Mr. Trigger) for that.

Until next week, ya'll. Hopefully things will pick up when we get to the Live's. But we have a number of episodes to go until then. Cheers!

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 5

I’m actually really disappointed, because I allowed myself to get excited about the idea of a male dancer without a traditional dancer body still doing a serious, non-joke performance with a level of talent high enough to get Juliette’s golden buzzer. Instead, it was just another silly stereotype.

• Love 9

I'd like to thank the producers for making sure I get enough naps in the evening, as they've shifted the content of these audition episodes from awful to just plain boring. Terry Crews continues his pull string doll routine of making 2 second long noises to convey his feelings. It's funny how he acts all surprised at the idea of a contestant winning a million dollars, when he's probably paid $3 million to do nothing.

Nick & Lindsay - Upon hearing that opera voice, I got flashbacks of some truly terrible acts of the past. I was probably more annoyed when the act changed, since that false start thing is very irritating. You'd think nobody in the audience has ever watched the show before, since every knife throwing act is the same.

Izzy and Easton - Taking a play out of Terry's critiquing skills; "nice!".

Lamont Landers - If you ever find yourself so tortured by an act, you start feeling nostalgic for Puddles Pity Party, you know you're in viewing hell. This segment seemed to take up 20 minutes, though this show is known for pushing the boundaries of time. Simon pulling the now trademark "that's not gonna work for me *stern look* is so annoying.

Death - The clip before his act was very annoying, but I thought his act was so shitty that it was funny.

Ndlovu Youth Choir - The second I see tears, my potential enjoyment of the act is in the garbage. It's odd how in a talent competition, everyone is actually trying to sell themselves as the most poor or hurt.

Phobia VR - I don't see how this is a talent. Comparing myself to the audience, who is jumping around and yelling, I must be the ultimate buzzkill, since I find crap like this to be super boring.

Emmane Beasha - I'd advise her to observe the career path of opera singing, such as looking at Daniel Emmet mopping floors at the movie theater; it's not too late to change genres! Sure, it's good, but I don't see what the audience for this would be, other than perhaps the world's oldest woman.

Lukas & Falco - I always find the song used for these routines very annoying, since it's not like the specific song has anything to do with the routine, other than to avoid pure silence. If the dog is going to retire after the show, why bother?

Verba Shadow - It was alright.

Ben Trigger - It turned out to be somewhat funny, but if it was actually a nonsense act, then why bother making a 10 minute video package?

This show is getting increasingly hard to comment on, much less joke about; it's that uninteresting.

• Love 8

VR psychology is a talent?

But I do see how it could be a show in Vegas.  Bringing people up from the audience and letting the audience see what he was seeing has entertainment value.  Kind of like hypnosis acts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

As soon as the dancer came down off the platform I had a feeling he was going for the golden buzzer. That's twice this season even though the other time it didn't work. It felt scripted because  no one jumped up to get him away from the buzzer.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, die Frau said:

I actually haven't watched it yet, but was it mentioned that Lukas and Falco won Germany's version of “Got Talent“ when he was 16?

It wasn't mentioned that Lukas ad Falco won Das Supertalent in 2013.

Emanne (Jackie Evancho 2.0 as Reddit refers to her) had won Arabs Got Talent in 2017. That also was not mentioned.

• Love 3

Last night's show was a big yawn and my mental buzzer went off several times.  Has it really gotten to the point where we have a opera singing knife throwing act?  And another Jackie......and another Hans......(actually, Hans was better).   I wish to see no one from this episode survive judges cuts 

• Love 1

I guess this year, instead of the International Champions show, AGT can do an A-onlyGT Champions show. That would be different, only acts from America. (And maybe boring.)

Nick & Lindsay knife throwers. I wouldn't X them but I wouldn't send them through, either. Is there an I Don't Care vote?

The kid dancers were cute and fine. Did anyone ask them how they are going to "step it up" or "are you worth a million dollars?" I guess it's rude to ask kids that.

Lamont Landers. WTHeck was that all about. Just let the guy sing and then kick him home. All this "change your track," "change your song" BS is getting tiresome. Especially when the guy still sucked after he came back the second time, and he was a smart ass the first time. I would have sent him home then. It's not like there aren't a zillion other singers back stage waiting to take his place. HATED HIM. I watched Songland after AGT and those song writers all had great voices. And this guy makes his living singing? Please.

Opera girl. Good luck kid. But step it up next time, okay?

Freestyle dog. I was waiting for Gabrielle to say she'd never seen anything like it before. Being involved with show dogs, I've seen plenty of freestyle. Still, dog gets my vote. I'd rather see this 10 times than Lamont Landers once.

The VR act was pretty fun, although I missed most of it. Would like to see it again. It gets my vote.

Verba Shadow made me cry, which I didn't need. We've seen this stuff before, but still it's engrossing and moving. At least to me. Yes vote.

Ndlovu Youth Choir was to my liking, made me think of Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo, I love them. I also liked their outfits as I'm a primary-color kid. This should have been the Golden Buzzer choir, wish I could cancel Terry's and replace it with this choir.

Ben Trigger. I was doing other things so completely missed his act. Just saw him at the end wearing some see-through lingerie. At least I think he was. I guess I'll see him later on as I assume he got sent through.

All you Greatest Showman fans: I read that the dog freestyle duo does several acts to those GS songs. Stay tuned!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Ok Simon's routine with this singer/guitar guy is such manufactured bullshit. 

Plus, he's not even that great of a singer.

I totally agree-he was just so-so.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Lamont Landers. WTHeck was that all about. Just let the guy sing and then kick him home. All this "change your track," "change your song" BS is getting tiresome. Especially when the guy still sucked after he came back the second time, and he was a smart ass the first time. I would have sent him home then. It's not like there aren't a zillion other singers back stage waiting to take his place. HATED HIM. I watched Songland after AGT and those song writers all had great voices. And this guy makes his living singing? Please.

Lamont: *Pointing to audience* "What do you guys think?"

"No clapping please. It's distracting."

"I'm so humbled."

"Okay, you guys can clap now."

Me: *Eyeroll*

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

All you Greatest Showman fans: I read that the dog freestyle duo does several acts to those GS songs. Stay tuned!

• LOL 3

I've only been watching this show since season 12 with Darcie Lynn and I'm already getting tired of it. I hate all the backstage stuff and the before performance package like Death and the last guy that hit the golden buzzer what a waist of time especially Death who got 4 red X.  Also, hate the staged remarks from the audience and the judges, especially when the judges remark about something then oh looky that's  what the next act just happens to be. I don't like Simon stopping the singer, just let them sing and be judged, that's not fair to the other singers.

I'm sick of acts coming to America and telling us how poor they are. Well you know what, America has it's own share of poor people so I can't feel sorry for you when we have children  living at the river bottoms because their parents are homeless. They don't have electricity or running water and very little food. It may not be for the same reason your poor and I'm sorry that you are but please don't act like you're the only country suffering. Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone.

I have no idea who Gabrielle is and remember Julianne from what little I watched of DWTS but I wish someone would tell her less is more. Her make-up is terrible and she's a pretty girl but not with all that crap on her face especially her eyes. I like Terry more than Tyra and Didn't really care for Mel B but I did like Heidi.

So, Julianne still has her golden buzzer?

• Love 3

My mom called me saying I should watch AGT (she didn't know the show name and said it was on ABC - sigh).  I checked out the videos today, first one up was the 10 year old opera singer.  I was like, I know I've seen her before.

Yeah in the comments, saw she won Arabs Got Talent, part of the 'Got Talent' shows owned/created by Simon Cowell.  He knew damned well who she was.  The other judges and host, maybe not.  But if he still owns the franchises, he would know the winner of one of his shows.  He's not stupid, and would see how to market anyone in the UK or US from any of his shows. 

She was also on Little Big Shots (that's where I saw her), and on Ellen.  She was born in Amman, Jordan, and lived in the Middle East until at least when she won Arabs Got Talent in 2017.  Guess the family moved to the US since that time.  Watched part of her performance for the finals back in 2017, and she's a lot better now.  

Very scripted to me.  That's why I'll watch some videos online, because I can't stand the sob stories, the backstage BS, etc.  Surprised Simon hasn't scooped up some of the Kids' Voice winners (Global) to bring to the US.  Maybe their contracts do not allow it.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, hoosier80 said:

Yeah in the comments, saw she won Arabs Got Talent, part of the 'Got Talent' shows owned/created by Simon Cowell.  He knew damned well who she was.  The other judges and host, maybe not.  But if he still owns the franchises, he would know the winner of one of his shows.  He's not stupid, and would see how to market anyone in the UK or US from any of his shows.

How many times has he said "I could imagine this playing on the radio today" or "You're a star, my friend" only to offer zero career help? Not to say I feel bad about that, since every singer who has appeared on AGT doesn't seem to be marketable at all. One of the Idol winners I make the occasional jab at when discussing American Idol played at a literal saloon yesterday (something I joked about, but didn't think was actually reality). Certainly the difference between a star and a shitter should be evident way before the finals, but American Idol and AGT rarely seem to get that.

Edited by InternetToughGuy

The little girl in the kiddie dancing duo had terrible arm technique. That would have gotten called out in the rinkie-dink dance studio I grew up in so it has no business on this show. I was hoping Julianne would be able to bring some more nuanced dance commentary to the judges' panel but I guess not.

I thought Death had some good jokes in his package and during his intro, so I was disappointed that the actual act fell flat.

Lukas and Falco are giving me Sara and Hero vibes and I'm not mad about it.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

The little girl in the kiddie dancing duo had terrible arm technique. That would have gotten called out in the rinkie-dink dance studio I grew up in so it has no business on this show.

I thought Death had some good jokes in his package and during his intro, so I was disappointed that the actual act fell flat.

In the department of redundancy department, I will say for probably the 100th time in these forums that the minimum age should be 16. Any time a little kid walks on stage the judges go all mushy and we get the "what's your name, sweetie" act. If a kid goes on this show (or more accurately, their parents put them on this show) then they should be treated, and judged, like any one else.

It's like this show exists in a vacuum. News flash. There are thousands of 10 and 12 year olds around the world singing opera, or playing Chopin on the piano. But the judges go nuts every time like this is the most amazing thing ever. I'm not an opera aficionado, but to me that girl this week did not sound like anything special.

A few other thoughts:

I expected the South African troupe to get the Golden Buzzer, since this year they are being awarded entirely on back story. I was not bowled over by them, but thought they were better than the kid's choir from Detroit that did get the GB.ff

The guy who got brought back to sing multiple songs? Overrated coffee house singer with zero charisma. 

The freestyle dog act for me was not nearly as good as Hero and Sarah. Surprised to hear they won the German Got Talent.

We've seen similar acts to Verba Shadow but I thought they were really original in how they used their bodies to form the images that were part of the story. They used their bodies and didn't rely on technology. 

I thought Death was at least as funny as some of the comedians they've put through and raved about. Would rather watch his act than listen to someone making jokes about their disability. 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

Husband and wife, music/danger act...almost of like Paul Potts, Brian King Joseph and Deadly Games all rolled up into one. I was not expecting that. That's a brave woman holding the knife with her feet. I get nervous using the paper cutter at work! But if she has been practicing for years, I guess there's not much fear there.

I've seen a few silhouette/shape dancers before, but I appreciated that they had a combination of the live dancers and the silhouette dancers in this performance. Even though we've seen similar stories on ...Got Talent, I found this story that they told touching.

If I were Simon, I would not have been so brave as to insult the opera singer and violinist/knife thrower, then ASK the woman if she would throw a knife at him! First of all, who would say no? Second of all, if you just publicly humiliated me on TV by insulting my act, I wouldn't aim for your heart, but I ain't saying I wouldn't aim for other body parts. (Yes, I know Simon insulted her husband and not her, but still - my husband and I are a two-fer. You go for him, you're going for me.)

The shadow dancers were unexpected (at least to me because I've never seen anything like that). They made me get misty-eyed at the end, which makes me mad at myself because I'm such a blubbering baby, but I really enjoyed their act.

21 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Phobia VR - I don't see how this is a talent. Comparing myself to the audience, who is jumping around and yelling, I must be the ultimate buzzkill, since I find crap like this to be super boring.

I rather enjoyed this act. I liked how they flipped back and forth to show us what Howie was seeing, and then show us how ridiculous he looked just walking along the floor acting petrified. My husband and I got a real good laugh when he took the headset off and was face-to-face with the man in the green screen suit and he jumped back asking, "What are you?" LOL

14 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm sick of acts coming to America and telling us how poor they are. Well you know what, America has it's own share of poor people so I can't feel sorry for you when we have children  living at the river bottoms because their parents are homeless. They don't have electricity or running water and very little food. It may not be for the same reason your poor and I'm sorry that you are but please don't act like you're the only country suffering. Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone.

So, Julianne still has her golden buzzer?

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, she does. 

I think it's ridiculous of acts coming to America PERIOD to perform on AGT. Is this show not called AMERICA'S Got Talent? If you're from another country, you're not part of this one. Go perform in your country. This is so irritating to me!

I guess technically Julianne still has her GB, but will she still be able to use it now that auditions are technically over? Next week's episode is "The Best Of". This is a legit question because this is my first season watching this show, so I'm unaware of how it works.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The kid dancers were cute and fine. Did anyone ask them how they are going to "step it up" or "are you worth a million dollars?" I guess it's rude to ask kids that.

But boring, you forgot boring.  NO ONE who is not a (really big) dance fan is going to watch children do contemporary dance for very long.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Ben Trigger. I was doing other things so completely missed his act. Just saw him at the end wearing some see-through lingerie. At least I think he was. I guess I'll see him later on as I assume he got sent through.

What the holy hell was that?  Is there really an audience for this?

36 minutes ago, Jennabelle88 said:

I think it's ridiculous of acts coming to America PERIOD to perform on AGT. Is this show not called AMERICA'S Got Talent? If you're from another country, you're not part of this one. Go perform in your country. This is so irritating to me!

I guess technically Julianne still has her GB, but will she still be able to use it now that auditions are technically over? Next week's episode is "The Best Of". This is a legit question because this is my first season watching this show, so I'm unaware of how it works.

Yes, I guess if they are US citizens or residents they are Americans but to simply fly over from another country doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the name.

I'm guessing Julianne has an act in mind that she didn't use her buzzer on the first time and we'll get a NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!!!! golden buzzer during judge cuts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jennabelle88 said:

I think it's ridiculous of acts coming to America PERIOD to perform on AGT. Is this show not called AMERICA'S Got Talent? If you're from another country, you're not part of this one.

Well, I guess if they come to America, America's got 'em. At least until their visa runs out.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Per my tv guide, there is a 6th audition night on July 9th. Networks often skip showing new episodes the week of July 4th, I'm assuming because they think people will be away. 

Okay, that makes sense. I only saw next week's episode listing. Thank you!

• Love 2

- Lindsey & Nick: I did not see the knife throwing act coming.  I thought the singing was a nice touch. 

- Izzy and Easton: Child dancers.  That was really impressive dancing. Not just for young kids. It was really good. I didn't catch it, did they do their own choreography? 

- Lamont Landers: Started playing guitar due to parents divorce when he was a child.  Not a great singer. Okay guitar player. Simon told him to come back later with a different song.

- Lamont Landers: Came back with a different song. It was about the same tempo as the first song. I really don't think the song choice made a difference. He was the same average singer/guitar player.  Received standing ovation at the end for this average performance.  He received way more screen time than was really necessary. 

- Death: Stand up comic.  In an otherwise bad set, the last joke about the cat was actually kind of funny.  His act was pretty much what you would expect. 

- South African Choir: They came out dressed in what looked like an ad for Google - or one of those on line escape games when you have to remember colors in order.  These guys were better than last week's GB choir. 

- Virtual Reality Guys:  The program looked impressive. It seemed more like something you would do at an amusement park.

- Iman: 10 year old opera singer. I can't judge opera, she sounded good.  Maybe not great, but better than the average person.  I imagine she has a vocal coach - hopefully one who is not her brother.

- Lukas and Falco: I thought it was going to be a robot.  It was about the same as watching that girl and Hero last year.  A boy who was afraid of dogs, somehow knows how to train a dog. 

- Shadow Dance Troop: Very emotional story telling. There have been a lot of these shadow dancing groups on, this was done well. 

- Ben Trigger:  Dancer from Australia. I was really hoping he would be great. I was so disappointed. His act was terrible.  He wasn't funny. It was just a stupid act. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Superclam said:

Per my tv guide, there is a 6th audition night on July 9th. Networks often skip showing new episodes the week of July 4th, I'm assuming because they think people will be away. 

So they're doing the "best of auditions" episode before we see all the auditions? 

• LOL 2

I just remembered that Howie told one of the first performers, it might have been Opera Girl, that she was going to be famous now, and she's even standing on a star on the stage.

The problem with that was she was standing on a big red X.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ohwell said:

Ok Simon's routine with this singer/guitar guy is such manufactured bullshit. 

Plus, he's not even that great of a singer.

The fact that they had to keep emphasizing that he got a second chance,  with a song he didn't know, and how much Simon liked him, gave it away. It was set up from the start.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, ams1001 said:
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, Superclam said:

So they're doing the "best of auditions" episode before we see all the auditions? 

So I guess if you watch the best of show you won't have to watch episode 6 because anything good should have already been shown, right?

• LOL 2

My party invite got lost in the mail, so I'm much more than just fashionably late, but...

Hi y'all!

I just binge watched Epis 1 - 5 and I feel like it's deja vu all over again.  Lots of 2.0 acts.  Some came with minor adjustments, but it's like each category is being ticked off and filled with the same act with costume changes and new names.

I figured I'd miss Mel B and Heidi and I wasn't wrong.

Here's something about Lukas und Falco

https://2paragraphs.com/2019/06/lukas-falco-agt-dog-parallel-parks-car-in-jeep-tv-commercial/

Love that dawg!  They remind me of Sara & Hero (& Loki), which is not a bad thing.

I enjoyed reading the last five threads worth of everyone here's comments and agree with so much of them!  I'd go back and Like (and Laugh Like) so many of them, but I'm too lazy.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Sounder said:

Kimmy Schmidt..... Ellie Kemper.....Jay Leno.....Brad Paisley.....and Dwayne Wade are the lineup of guest for the judges cuts.   Each one with a golden buzzer.

If last nights (7/2) episode was a recap of auditions 1-5 doesn't Julianne still have her golden buzzer? It was hit by accident and if next week's going to start the guest judges cuts when is she going to get to use her golden buzzer?

On 6/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, Commando Cody said:

- Lindsey & Nick: I did not see the knife throwing act coming.  I thought the singing was a nice touch. 

- Izzy and Easton: Child dancers.  That was really impressive dancing. Not just for young kids. It was really good. I didn't catch it, did they do their own choreography? 

- Lamont Landers: Started playing guitar due to parents divorce when he was a child.  Not a great singer. Okay guitar player. Simon told him to come back later with a different song.

- Lamont Landers: Came back with a different song. It was about the same tempo as the first song. I really don't think the song choice made a difference. He was the same average singer/guitar player.  Received standing ovation at the end for this average performance.  He received way more screen time than was really necessary. 

- Death: Stand up comic.  In an otherwise bad set, the last joke about the cat was actually kind of funny.  His act was pretty much what you would expect. 

- South African Choir: They came out dressed in what looked like an ad for Google - or one of those on line escape games when you have to remember colors in order.  These guys were better than last week's GB choir. 

- Virtual Reality Guys:  The program looked impressive. It seemed more like something you would do at an amusement park.

- Iman: 10 year old opera singer. I can't judge opera, she sounded good.  Maybe not great, but better than the average person.  I imagine she has a vocal coach - hopefully one who is not her brother.

- Lukas and Falco: I thought it was going to be a robot.  It was about the same as watching that girl and Hero last year.  A boy who was afraid of dogs, somehow knows how to train a dog. 

- Shadow Dance Troop: Very emotional story telling. There have been a lot of these shadow dancing groups on, this was done well. 

- Ben Trigger:  Dancer from Australia. I was really hoping he would be great. I was so disappointed. His act was terrible.  He wasn't funny. It was just a stupid act. 

Regression. The last 2 weeks were mild improvements over the weak first 2, but E5 was awful.

Opera Knife thrower- mediocre singer, weak knife throwing. Nice touch using her foot, but both her hubby and Simon were completely off to one side of the board and she tossed it way over to the other side. Boring, done before.

Kid dancers- boy wears too much lipstick. Girl was oddly youngish looking for that pairing, music and act. Kinda odd. They are pretty good, see ya in 5 years and we'll see.

Do it again guitar guy- mediocre singer, horrifyingly boring fake routine with another Simon faking an exchange with him and faking learning a new song to sing mediocre again. Painful waste of lots of time. Does Simon know this repeated fake act is insulting to the watchers?

Death- terrible. Waste of time. Not remotely funny. Cat joke the worst.

African choir- another sob story choir act. Why do foreign acts get to come to America’s Got Talent Anyway? If you are from Africa, apparently America doesn’t have talent. And the crying, stop it. And the poverty... really? Lots of poor people here ya know. And why is it poverty stricken massive groups from India and Africa fly over here and show off their $30k glittering teeth? Poverty? Right. PS, they weren’t very good either.

VR guys- interesting, different which is a lot to say re:AGT. Not sure it’s sustainable.

Little opera girl- far and away the most talent on the show, regardless of her age. Was impressed an American act was good until I heard she was originally from Jordan and won this show there. Why is that allowed? Are there really so few acts to choose from now? Too bad opera doesn’t have a chance in h—l of winning, she’s great.

Guy and dog from yet another country- I liked them no matter what because the dog was irresistible. Reminded me of that girl and Hero last year... loved the dog, liked the handler, but they really weren’t very good. They won in Germany? Yikes.

Shadow Troupe- done before, over and over, zzzz. Oh, tear jerker, woo. It was a hair different with bringing some dancers into light but same old same old. This routine was mildly interesting 10 tries ago.

Trigger fat gay guy- is this what the show has evolved into? America’s got drag Queen? Great. Does this stereotype bother gay people?

General stuff... didn’t Julianne stand up once and drop her leg on a Golden Buzzer or was that an X of Simon’s?  Don’t remember, couldn’t get past her leg. And the people mocking her dark eye makeup... psst she’s having fun, and she’s still hot. Nobody talking about Gabbys crazy balloon outfit. And speaking of Gabby, last night watching her childlike reactions to the knife throwing and the shadow acts, I see what the new judges choice is about. Apparently she has not seen this stuff 10 times already like people who watch the show do. Let’s pretend it’s new. She has taken over Mel’s job of jumping up and down over every black act pretty well, and without all the stupid, so she’s been fine. She more likeable than I expected.

And anybody else, when seeing Terry in his USA getup think of Apollo Creed in Rocky 5 dancing to Living in America by James Brown? Shocked that music didn’t come on, given the name of the show. Of course, there’s very little America about the show.  Liiivvvvvinnng in Amerrrrrricccaaa...

On 7/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

If last nights (7/2) episode was a recap of auditions 1-5 doesn't Julianne still have her golden buzzer? It was hit by accident and if next week's going to start the guest judges cuts when is she going to get to use her golden buzzer?

This week (7/9) is the last audition episode and then judge cuts start next week (7/16). Julianne will hit her buzzer this Tuesday.

• Useful 1

Two actual moments of genuine emotion from a deep place.

First, Death's delivery of his place of residence (Burbank) was sublime.  I laughed.  The timing and pace were perfect.  I thought maaaaaaaybe we finally had a real comedian.  Oopsie.  But, that first laugh was very real and earned.

Second, the jarring transition to war by the shadow dancers.  In those seconds, most everyone, imo, and myself  most definitely, were staggered into a recognition of the horror of war in the shocking jilt of timing, thus opening us up to a more fully realized experience of dread.  Really, really, well done.  

Ginger boy singer gets my vote for most annoying contestant this season.  That is saying a lot given we are in an Olympic year for such.  He is an ultimate snowflake millennial.  His inflated sense of self, and the polar opposite reality as to why he feeeeeeels that way, squicked me out.  He may have been playing out a script when he balked at coming back, but man, those moments were painful to witness.  I simply can't believe it was all an act.  It was too perfect a rendition.  

I wanna be there when they fight over keeping tiny dancer GB boy.  I'm betting we don't see him featured again.  We may see him in a montage or in passing mention of the NEVERBEFORESEENINWORLDHISTORY buzz.  

Howie's never heard anything like the African Choir before?  Liar.  Any number of Gospel choirs sounded precisely like that.  This is not to say there wasn't beauty and art presented.  There most certainly was.  

It's most unfortunate that an ep with so few solo singers ended up being absurdly manipulative with the prior winners from offshore.  It was still better than the all-time trainwreck of Ep. 4.