Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E26 Milla

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Mothra said:

Did anybody else see the Where Are They Now or whatever it's called episode about Milla and Charity?  It followed Milla for a couple more years, at the end of which she was able finally to get up and walk in a hospital corridor using some kind of specialized walker.  Dr. Now says he thinks she'll be able to walk unassisted in a year.

What I want to know is whether it was ever explained why she couldn't walk--she lost 200 lbs and still couldn't support her own weight.  Maybe her leg muscles had atrophied?  I recall a couple of other poundtestants who couldn't walk and Dr. Now was very impatient and even angry with them, telling them there was no reason they couldn't walk, they just didn't want to, all in their head, etc., but it seems to me he was always understanding about Milla's inability to walk.

Yes, I saw that episode, which aired before this one. In this episode we did learn what had been preventing Milla from walking earlier, in spite of all her weight loss. Both of her knees needed to be replaced, and she also had an issue with ligaments or tendons that made it difficult for her to straighten her legs, which I believe was resolved with physical therapy. If you have opportunity to view this episode, it should all make sense by the end.

I do agree that Dr. Now seemed to give Milla more leeway than he did to other poundticipants who had been reluctant to start walking again after their weight loss. He gave her more and lengthier stays in rehab too. When I mentioned this here back when this episode first aired, other pounders said they thought Milla received just what she needed for her situation, no more or less, which may be true -- but I still think she received a lot more than some others who had been in similar situations, who were sent home soon after surgery to do their rehab on an outpatient basis or else from home with visits from PT.

• Love 2
On 10/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, ProTourist said:

but I still think she received a lot more than some others who had been in similar situations, who were sent home soon after surgery to do their rehab on an outpatient basis or else from home with visits from PT.

I thought that Milla's living situation was far superior to other patients we see on the show.  I don't know if she rented or owned the home she lived in; however it was well furnished and clean.  As an aside (for whatever it's worth) she always appeared (after her weight loss, not before) neatly dressed and had no visible tattoos.

I'm thinking Milla may have had better insurance that other poundticipants due to her widow status so she was covered for those long rehab stays.  Perhaps her husband had a good job with survivor's benefits and/or left her an inheritance (or life insurance).