Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Awards Chat: And The Winner is....

I don’t understand why Murphy Brown was in the "Talk About An Anti-Climax: Anticipated New Show That Failed Miserably" category instead of the "They Mostly Come Back At Night, Mostly Award: Most Unwelcome Show Revival or Reboot" category; it was a revival, not a new show.

Anyway, another year in which I don’t watch a single one of the winning shows (although I do watch a few of the runners-up – of course, only one of them is a current show).  Oh well; this year quite a few things I like made it to the final round, so I was able to cast about 10-12 votes, which was a lot more fun than scrolling through category after category filled with five shows I'd never seen.

Oh, circling back to Murphy Brown, I can't believe "Benny" the dog didn't get first or even second place in the "Favorite Performance By a Real Animal" category!

• Like 3

I've never seen on episode of Game of Thrones, but how did that show NOT WIN Favourite Drama or Genre Show?

It wasn't even among the finalists.  It won the past two years, didn't it?  It got more buzz in 2019 that I can ever remember.

I know some people were disappointed with the finale, but I am truly shocked Game of Thrones didn't even make the final round.  Good to have new shows in there (Go Chernobyl), but The Good Place repeated.

• Like 3

Thank you for the second Winners' List with GIFs!  That could not have been quick and easy to put together and you all should know that it's appreciated. 🥂

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Roaster said:

I've never seen on episode of Game of Thrones, but how did that show NOT WIN Favourite Drama or Genre Show?

It won lots of awards... just not the ones it would want to win. It's a bit like Suicide Squad which won an Oscar (for make up) but also was "rewarded" at the Razzies. Nobody was criticising its production values, but its writing was... questionable.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Roaster said:

I think the fact that it won "worst writing" explains how it didn't win "favourite drama."   Sadly a lot of people were very disappointed with the final season.

• Like 4

The people picked The Big Bang Theory as Runner-up for Favourite Comedy Show.
The Moderators picked The Big Bang Theory as Runner-up for Worst Show on the Air.

I'm surprised such a bland show produces strong opinions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, deaja said:
On 6/25/2019 at 12:06 AM, Roaster said:

I think the fact that it won "worst writing" explains how it didn't win "favourite drama genre show."   Sadly a lot of people were very disappointed with the final season.

XQxqcpG.gif

It didn't even get nominated for Fav Genre show.

25 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

So I'm thinking I'm one of the few people who have never watched Game of Thrones?

I haven't seen it, either, so yep, we shall settle in at our little table :p. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

So I'm thinking I'm one of the few people who have never watched Game of Thrones?

I haven't seen it, either, so yep, we shall settle in at our little table :p

I bet the table for those of us who never watched GoT is too big for any dragon to carry away.

—which is why I really appreciate having first runners-up this year.

And I'd love to see the lists of nominees (both rounds) with the final tally numbers.

I am now going to put a reminder on my calendar to screen grab next year's. I feel a tad guilty for spending time on any of this, but if the too-late-for-this-year's-awards When They See Us and the barely-in-time Best Drama 2019 winner Chernobyl are any indication, by next year we will feel proud to cheer on the creatives who bring such stories to the fore.

• Like 3

Also not a Game of Thrones watcher so felt a bit "meh" about a lot of the categories where they had multiple nominees in the final.

Was it only me who was a bit confused at the overlap in some categories? "What Dafuq Just Happened?!: Worst Payoff To An Ongoing Storyline" and "You’ve Got to be Fucking Kidding Me: Biggest Plot Point Letdown" had some similar nominees, as did "We Heart Bad Boys: Favourite Villain" and "Big D (or V) Energy: Badassiest Badass" (which had the same winner) and "Get Your GOAT: Favourite Show of All Time" and "Oldie but a Goodie (or Bestie Even): Favourite Show that no longer airs" (also the same winners). There were A LOT of categories, so maybe some clearer nomination requirements next time around? Or combine some categories?

That being said, I would also love a "BEST Payoff To An Ongoing Storyline" category. So often shows drop the ball, but sometimes things come back around really well and it would be nice to have the positive version of that category!

• Like 8

Yay! Some of my nominations won! Despite feeling overall like I always do, that this is just a measure of WHAT forum users are watching rather than any sort of objective measure of what is good, I'm pretty happy with this list! And REALLY happy that runners-up were included! I remember last year I nominated Killing Eve all over the place to no avail (unsurprising since it was so new), so it's super gratifying to see it take so many categories this time.

No surprise Game of Thrones won all over the place. The show is so well-known and people typically vote for what they know. Still, some of those wins were really disappointing. Biggest Cliffhanger? Where did a dragon we'll never see again take a dead body we'll never see again, which is of no further import to the story? That is not even A cliffhanger, let alone the BEST cliffhanger. It's a lingering question, at most.

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

if the too-late-for-this-year's-awards When They See Us and the barely-in-time Best Drama 2019 winner Chernobyl are any indication, by next year we will feel proud to cheer on the creatives who bring such stories to the fore. 

This is so true! I hadn't thought of it like that! Game of Thrones has dominated these awards for so long, I really wonder what next year's winners are going to look like, now that it's ineligible! There is so much great stuff already out, and nothing is dominating the watercooler discourse like GoT has for years. Anything could happen!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

No surprise Game of Thrones won all over the place. The show is so well-known and people typically vote for what they know.

Yes, for the last 2 years' awards, I did just vote for what I knew. 
This year I realized that if I used all 5 of my votes in a category, I was essentially voting against my own top choice -- if that makes sense -- probably someone else can explain it better.

5 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:
On 6/26/2019 at 5:27 AM, shapeshifter said:

if the too-late-for-this-year's-awards When They See Us and the barely-in-time Best Drama 2019 winner Chernobyl are any indication, by next year we will feel proud to cheer on the creatives who bring such stories to the fore. 

This is so true! I hadn't thought of it like that! Game of Thrones has dominated these awards for so long, I really wonder what next year's winners are going to look like, now that it's ineligible! There is so much great stuff already out, and nothing is dominating the watercooler discourse like GoT has for years. Anything could happen!

LOL, my comment reads as much more optimistic than I really am, @Slovenly Muse. I expect there will be a new Lost- or GoT-type show to capture the obsessive tendencies and need-to-escape of the masses (and maybe even of you and me). 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:27 AM, shapeshifter said:

I bet the table for those of us who never watched GoT is too big for any dragon to carry away.

—which is why I really appreciate having first runners-up this year.

And I'd love to see the lists of nominees (both rounds) with the final tally numbers.

I am now going to put a reminder on my calendar to screen grab next year's. I feel a tad guilty for spending time on any of this, but if the too-late-for-this-year's-awards When They See Us and the barely-in-time Best Drama 2019 winner Chernobyl are any indication, by next year we will feel proud to cheer on the creatives who bring such stories to the fore.

I'll be joining that never-watched GoT table too.

I was happy to see that Twitney Thore finally won an award she is deserving of🤣👏😀

• Like 2

I really liked the gif for Michael Weatherly's win as least favorite actor.

It has Eliza Dushku's character slapping Weatherly's character on Bull.

Very nice Previously TV.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, Macbeth said:

I really liked the gif for Michael Weatherly's win as least favorite actor.

It has Eliza Dushku's character slapping Weatherly's character on Bull.

Very nice Previously TV Primetimer.

😉

• Like 2