Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Another World

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Well, I'm going to dye my hair blonde, get blue contacts, filter the hell out of my pictures and put my profile on international dating sites just to see if I can land a hot foreign guy! 

Do it. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Who was the guy getting his whole face waxed?  Yikes! that hair will be growing and itchy within hours.

I had no idea that men actually waxed their faces. Facial hair is thicker and it looks extremely painful!

• Love 6

Deavin was trying to gain sympathy for herself when she said it was so hard to have a baby (nope, Drascilla is a toddler...) and to be pregnant.  When she said that I was mentally thinking "that's why they invented birth control, so it's all on you..."  I couldn't believe that she wouldn't look at Jihoon's parents when they arrived and tried to hug her and she turned her face.  Drascilla seems like she is teachable, but it has to start soon or it will be too late (first 5 years).  I don't see how Deavin even imagined she would make a good impression on Jihoon's parents.  I also think that Deavin doesn't understand the reality of what her life would be like in Korea.  Jihoon mentioned that his house doesn't have hot water.  And, if she thinks she can end up getting child support out of this I think she needs to look up average income for used cell phone salespeople.

Laura is not well informed if she thinks she will be calling the shots with Aladin.  I get the impression that she intends to make the decisions of their life together, but, no-that's not going to happen.  Of course she'll have to open a bank account to get her income checks and I would imagine that in Qatar only men can have bank accounts (just speculating as that is true in some countries, I just don't know about Qatar).  So, Aladin will be controlling her income.  There may be a few surprises ahead of her after she completes all of her initial paper work, etc.

I cannot express how frustrated I am with Brazil's government as it is just too efficient and they easily spotted the problems associated with granting Paul residency.  Darn it.  

Corey and Eviline are boring as she is so over him now that she has gotten every cent and t.v. out of him.  I agree with another poster that Corey will do everything possible to make it work as he starts to realize she got over $40,000 from him and he has nothing.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Shower thought: would Laura (good lord, I almost typed “Angela” at first) be able to get her accessories through an inspection in Qatar by claiming they’re for her sore back, like the geographically-challenged salesgirl suggested?

She can tape over the book to say Sore Backs for Dummies.

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, Evangeline said:

I wasn't one of the ones who commented, but I share their reaction about Evelin's proficiency with English. I took 7+ years of a language (French) in school, at some well-regarded schools, including taking an AP course. I was a very serious student. I tested out of my (well-regarded) college's language requirement based on an oral and written exam. But I can assure you, at my best, my French was pretty much useless and I was far from fluent. Those who are more proficient in languages generally had a parent who spoke the language, or spent time travelling to a place where they could be immersed. Those who were raised bilingual also seem to have an easier time picking up a third language. So my assumptions are based on my personal experiences trying to learn a language and my anecdotal experiences of the proficiency of those I know who went through the Canadian and American education systems. Hence the reason her proficiency in languages stands out to me.   

The reason people are commenting on it is because people from poor villages are less likely to be exposed to English day to day (more likely to hear it in cities), less likely to have had an opportunity to do a study abroad (not cheap), and less likely to need it for opportunities available in their town (if everyone in town speaks the same language and the economy is local, there is no need for employees with other languages). Compare her English to Karine's. Which suggests she either had a goal in mind that motivated her to take extra steps to learn, or there's something noteworthy in her backstory that explains it. 

Reveal spoiler

My understanding is her family is in the restaurant business, and her town has a tourist trade. That may be sufficient reason for her to have learned.

I studied French from grade 5 through 12 and was fluent when I graduated. I also went to private school and we were required to read novels in French and write papers. We had a grammar workbook but the focus was on reading, writing and speaking. Also, I was totally obsessed and thought being able to speak French was the most chic thing in the world. In my senior year of college, I took an advanced French class and was fine. Decades--and I mean several--later, I can survive on the streets of Paris on my own. Not still fluent, but I can get by. I took an Italian class in college and did quite well, but when I tried Spanish, it did me in.

My sister, who attended the same schools, and started French in grade 5, can't speak a bloody word of the language. So I agree that motivation has a good deal to do with it. Karine is learning English so she can communicate with her idiot husband who has not bothered to learn Portuguese and speaks to her in broken English because he's an idiot. And hopefully she was paying attention when listening to that app they use to communicate.

I think English is probably a lot easier to learn than many other languages because things aren't feminine and masculine, there are no million versions of the past tense, as in were is were is were and all the other crazy rules.

My best friend in life and all things French was dating a man from Cape Verde a long time ago and she took a Portuguese class that flummoxed her. That is not an easy language AT ALL. Can't imagine Paul mastering that.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, RealReality said:

LOL.  Was hilarious to watch devans hens coming home to roost (that sounds wrong but I don't know farm sayings).

It's real cute to pretend like non parenting is your choice, and I'd bet on any other day she'd give about zero fucks that her poorly behaved child was causing a ruckus and annoying everyone else.  

Nope, if it hadn't been for jihoons parents, she would have been grinning and giggling and druscilla went wild and shoulder shrugging and ignoring the dirty looks from everyone else.

She is a moron.  "Druscilla is acting so wild!". Bitch, don't act surprised, this is exactly the child you "raised". Don't act like druscilla is the problem.   YOU and your lassiez faire parenting are the problem.  In what universe did you think druscilla was going to behave any other way than in the manner you've allowed her to behave every other day??!?!!!!

"I don't want jihoons parents to think I'm a bad mom". Girl what?  I think that ship has sailed.

Also, what's going on with jihoons lip.  Does he need chapstick?  I can't live without chapstick .

Still confused about what that is, it sounds like shaving cream, but why not buy shaving cream from Target?  

I'm so glad someone mentioned this. It's all I can think of during his talking heads. Someone please introduce him to lip balm.

• Love 2
(edited)

For the record and may be off-topic, for which I apologize in advance:

Having studied both Spanish and Russian in high school and college, along with a sister who was a secondary ed French teacher for about one year, one of the things about foreign language is that not everyone can pick it up in exactly the same way. 

There are two schools:  the auditory and the visual.  The auditory are the types of people who can use programs like Rosetta Stone and become instantly conversational.  The rules don't matter too much.  Reading and writing are not the strong suits for these folks. 

The visual are the types of people who can read and write it, but can't speak it fluently (that's me!).  I was a whiz at scientific translation and I can sound out my Russian still (40 years later) if I can see it.  But speaking it to a native, not so much.

Diplomats have to be both - my late Uncle was in the foreign service and he and his wife wer put into a six week immersion program with the USIA (State Department) in Serbo-Croatian so that he could represent the US in what was then Yugoslavia.  He told the story of having to listen, translate and formulate a response in next to no time in order to be considered proficient.

That said, it looks like Evilyn's course is a kind of immersion course - no native language is spoken, once in the classroom.  All dialogue is in the target language (in her case, English).  And she seems to be doing pretty well.  It does help if one starts very young (my conversational German class started when I was 11).  Europe starts English almost in pre-school.  Comes a lot easier when many of the 'unusual' sounds (those not used in English) are extinguished (socio- and psycholinguistics).

I know entirely too much about this.....  LOL!!!!!

Edited by b2H
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:

I'm so glad someone mentioned this. It's all I can think of during his talking heads. Someone please introduce him to lip balm.

I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe a weird scar?

• Love 2
On 7/2/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mu Shu said:

Laura is in her sixties. She needs to step away from the Snapchat filters.

Ha!  If she tries to make herself any younger she’ll be a fetus.  Who is she fooling? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peaceknit said:

I had no idea that men actually waxed their faces. Facial hair is thicker and it looks extremely painful!

Yeah they do. I knew this!! (I feel quite educated cause I know nothing about men). It’s a typical way to keep up their facial hair shape. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Shower thought: would Laura (good lord, I almost typed “Angela” at first) be able to get her accessories through an inspection in Qatar by claiming they’re for her sore back, like the geographically-challenged salesgirl suggested?

I don't know man, the coohie cream and basic lingerie might give it away.  

But apparently any woman with blonde hair is a goddess over there so they might let it slide?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

It's like pavlovs dog.  Everytime I see jihoon's face I have to put on another coat of chapstick.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Think it's a status thing of having a blonde hair- blued woman. Some people fetishize certain features so much that it literally blinds them to the other imperfections the people may have. He seems to genuinely be excited about her.

In general, I think middle eastern women are so pretty.  I can't imagine how Laura....who really looks like the skipper .....is somehow preferable.

Im almost offended on their behalf.

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe a weird scar?

My younger brother was a major pot smoker in his teens. He used one of those “ alligator clips” (probably stole borrowed  it from his chemistry class) to hold the roach and he would routinely burn his lip. He tried to pass it off as a cold sore. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Let’s face it, blue eyed blondes get attention.  They’re only common in the Scandinavian countries. Most of us humans have brown hair and brown eyes.

However, Laura and Jenny are not terribly attractive. People are staring at them because they’re mature women dressed in stupid clothes that don’t make them look younger. I recently noticed my eye doctors wife who is a big, tall blue eyed blonde from Russia looks spectacular at 63. She wears her hair very short, and dresses flawlessly. She would get attention anywhere as desirable.  These two mutton dressed as lamb are just sad.

Jenny looks far better and younger IMO in the Indian clothing. She would look so much better with a makeover.  Laura does indeed look like the Skipper, and she’s a damn fool. Smuggling dildos. Such an attention seeker. Lady, I don’t need to hear about your cha cha. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Let’s face it, blue eyed blondes get attention.  They’re only common in the Scandinavian countries. Most of us humans have brown hair and brown eyes.

However, Laura and Jenny are not terribly attractive. People are staring at them because they’re mature women dressed in stupid clothes that don’t make them look younger. I recently noticed my eye doctors wife who is a big, tall blue eyed blonde from Russia looks spectacular at 63. She wears her hair very short, and dresses flawlessly. She would get attention anywhere as desirable.  These two mutton dressed as lamb are just sad.

Jenny looks far better and younger IMO in the Indian clothing. She would look so much better with a makeover.  Laura does indeed look like the Skipper, and she’s a damn fool. Smuggling dildos. Such an attention seeker. Lady, I don’t need to hear about your cha cha. 

Well as a blue eyed blonde I gotta put this to the test!  (I am 67% Scandinavian, btw!)

Yes I agree Jenny looked MUCH better in the Indian clothing.  She needs a good haircut, too.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Devaen is a Wiccan like I'm a unicorn. She's some sort of sorry, wanna be goth who can't stop crying. "Las Vegas is a fun city" she intones, looking like she's headed to her grandma's funeral. 

Just for my own info, does she claim to be Wiccan? Because I must have missed that. She certainly aspires to be a goth.

I agree with your entire post. "Hapless" certainly describes her, and might as well throw in ineffectual for good measure. Jihoon and his family have only yet begun to learn what they're in for if she sticks around.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 3
On 7/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, nr65000 said:

I'm not about to criticize anyone for their looks, but (imho) Evelin is not really all that attractive.  She has a nice body maybe, but her face is at best, average and she looks hard and ragged to me.  She won't age well.  It just doesn't seem to me like her looks are enough to make up for her godawful treatment of Cory.  I think her end game is to gaslight him with enough abuse so that he finally leaves, then blame him for leaving her (with all his $$).  I think the longer he puts up with her, the meaner she will be and the more frustrated she will get that he just......won't........go.........away.  She clearly loathes him.  I find it hard to be sympathetic to poor Cory.  He is so oblivious that he seems determined to learn the hard way because he sure isn't seeing all those big red flags waving frantically in front of his face.

Maybe in this case, the best revenge is to... stay. LOL. She is loathsome, so I hope he hightails it out of there before the next episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, renatae said:

Maybe in this case, the best revenge is to... stay. LOL. She is loathsome, so I hope he hightails it out of there before the next episode.

I think we've discovered they've been married for a few years...so not likely.

• Useful 1
On 7/2/2019 at 9:08 PM, RealReality said:

At this point I can safely say that filters are the new catfishing.  And boy did Laura catfish the hell out of aladin.

I'm pretty sure I saw a glamour shot in there.  The original catfish filter. 

I think this was a dual catfish situation. Although Aladin is a very nice looking young man, and he is actually young, I think his photos make him look drop dead gorgeous. He's handsome, but not like those glamour shots he has. He's definitely still the loser in the fishing contest, though.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, renatae said:

Just for my own info, does she claim to be Wiccan? Because I must have missed that. She certainly aspires to be a goth.

I agree with your entire post. "Hapless" certainly describes her, and might as well throw in ineffectual for good measure. Jihoon and his family have only yet begun to learn what they're in for if she sticks around.

I don't know, but the poster I quoted referred to her as a Wiccan. I don't think she's a Wiccan. If she is, she's one of those dark, brooding girls who calls herself a Wiccan, wears black all the time, and says things like "Goddess knows". But she ain't no real Wiccan. Wicca is all about being responsible for your actions, for one thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, nr65000 said:

I'm not about to criticize anyone for their looks, but (imho) Evelin is not really all that attractive.  She has a nice body maybe, but her face is at best, average and she looks hard and ragged to me.  She won't age well.  It just doesn't seem to me like her looks are enough to make up for her godawful treatment of Cory.  I think her end game is to gaslight him with enough abuse so that he finally leaves, then blame him for leaving her (with all his $$).  I think the longer he puts up with her, the meaner she will be and the more frustrated she will get that he just......won't........go.........away.  She clearly loathes him.  I find it hard to be sympathetic to poor Cory.  He is so oblivious that he seems determined to learn the hard way because he sure isn't seeing all those big red flags waving frantically in front of his face.

I looked up her FB page and I gotta give it her:  Her body is slamming.  But her face is not that pretty, to me, her hair is straggly and her whole personality is a turn off.  Corey is one of those guys (and in college I knew A LOT of them) who don't give two craps about personality but as long as the face is pretty and the body is on fleek and he wakes up dehydrated, he is good to go.

I am not sympathetic to Corey either.  He has so many red flags waved frantically in his face, over his head and just everywhere and he just forges on.  Kinda like Baby Beluga:  "I am not feeling that great, Nicole, I am only 55% attracted to you, you need to stop pawing at me in public, and I am embarrassed by you."  Nicole:  "So I should book my plane tickets today, then?"

On 7/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, glitterpussy said:

But damn, she just acts helpless and like it has nothing to do with her! Get your act together and maybe quit chasing the next asian dude and focus on the kid you have. I know, its too late for that 🙂

That is the part that is the most annoying.  She is so reactive rather than proactive and just sets them both up for a cycle of frustration.  They are the ones, who when they show up at a neighborhood BBQ, everyone leaves.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Did Jihoon really say the apartment has no hot water? Where do they live? Most buildings in Korea are heated with hot water running in pipes under the floors. There may be separate water heaters  for kitchen and bathroom faucets, but they make hot water when switched on.  This is just strange, unless he's trying to scare Deavan off. That, I could understand. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Deavin was trying to gain sympathy for herself when she said it was so hard to have a baby (nope, Drascilla is a toddler...) and to be pregnant. 

Well, it gets a lot harder when you don’t parent and let you kid run wild. Taking the time to instill some discipline and limits go a long way. 

Honestly, as much as we complain about Nichole’s parenting of Mae, I think Deavin wins the worse parent prize.  

• Love 17
1 hour ago, LGGirl said:

Well, it gets a lot harder when you don’t parent and let you kid run wild. Taking the time to instill some discipline and limits go a long way. 

Honestly, as much as we complain about Nichole’s parenting of Mae, I think Deavin wins the worse parent prize.  

I agree.  My kids were 21 months apart, so I get having a 3 year old and 1 and a half year old, but my first son was NOT "rambunctious" as she calls it.  Plus I, oh I don't know, disciplined him?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree.  My kids were 21 months apart, so I get having a 3 year old and 1 and a half year old, but my first son was NOT "rambunctious" as she calls it.  Plus I, oh I don't know, disciplined him?

I get the impression that “discipline” is a word Deaven’s mother doesn’t believe in so it might be too much to ask for Deaven herself to learn about it.  I also wonder how much is scripted, ie keep Drascilla up without a nap and feed her sugar so she will “perform” according to the script.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

I get the impression that “discipline” is a word Deaven’s mother doesn’t believe in so it might be too much to ask for Deaven herself to learn about it.  I also wonder how much is scripted, ie keep Drascilla up without a nap and feed her sugar so she will “perform” according to the script.

We can hope, but devans defense doesn't seem to be...."you guys just aren't seeing how well behaved she is"....it's something more along the lines of righteous indignation  "fuck you all, how are you judge my poor parenting by calling my child a brat!  Imma pretend that all these names you call my child are in no way a reflection on my child rearing decisions!"

I also think the fact that druscilla stays looking dirty and unkempt ALL THE TIME is an unintentional giveaway.  Mays hair often looks messy, but her face isn't dirty, everytime I see druscilla I feel like her face is dirty.  Even in the airport. 

Devan thought she was early, so it just means it's not in her nature to have a few baby wipes and wipe her child's face down.  Even before meeting her fiance's parents for the first time.  The parents I've seen almost do this automatically because it's second nature.  

• Love 3

My first child was so well behaved that I was absolutely certain the only reason children misbehaved was lack of discipline. Then came #2. Oh, my, what a strong willed child. Impervious to most forms of discipline all of the time. Embarrassing and exhausting. Could not abide any type of redirection.

He was especially bad when he was sick. If I told him at two years old that it was time for lunch and he kicked me in the shin, it was time to get his ears checked.

Today he is very sweet and does his best to be helpful, so yes, consistent discipline does win out in the end. But we had our share of humiliating moments. It was our lesson on pride and making assumptions.

But I do agree, Drascilla is not being disciplined. A listless, "C'mon, Drascilla, let's go," if she addresses her at all, isn't going to make it.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ThereButFor said:

If the producers are encouraging that, it’s nuts. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, renatae said:

My first child was so well behaved that I was absolutely certain the only reason children misbehaved was lack of discipline. Then came #2. Oh, my, what a strong willed child. Impervious to most forms of discipline all of the time. Embarrassing and exhausting. Could not abide any type of redirection.

He was especially bad when he was sick. If I told him at two years old that it was time for lunch and he kicked me in the shin, it was time to get his ears checked.

Today he is very sweet and does his best to be helpful, so yes, consistent discipline does win out in the end. But we had our share of humiliating moments. It was our lesson on pride and making assumptions.

But I do agree, Drascilla is not being disciplined. A listless, "C'mon, Drascilla, let's go," if she addresses her at all, isn't going to make it.

All kids are different for sure, sometimes what discipline works for one, does nothing to curb another. My niece needs only a sharp word or look and she’s back on track. The nephew? His parents are struggling to find the right path. At least they are trying, unlike Deavan, who is now reaping the results of her lackluster parenting. It didn’t bother her when Drascilla’s antics didn’t affect her. Now suddenly, she’d looking for approval from Jihoon’s parents in order to move forward with her future, and Drascilla’s behavior could be a major obstacle.

• Love 9
(edited)
38 minutes ago, iwasish said:

At least they are trying, unlike Deavan, who is now reaping the results of her lackluster parenting. It didn’t bother her when Drascilla’s antics didn’t affect her. Now suddenly, she’d looking for approval from Jihoon’s parents in order to move forward with her future, and Drascilla’s behavior could be a major obstacle.

This x1000.

I don't, for a minute think Devan has been bothered until she realized that her lack of effort might affect HER happiness 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

If the producers are encouraging that, it’s nuts. 

My cynical brain wonders how much of this is scripted to create “drama”.  Definitely nuts but I consider it a possibility!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I'm sorry but Jihoon is NOT that girl's father.  She should not be sleeping next to him.  That man is a fucking stranger to her.  This is EXACTLY how child molestations happen. Moms that care too much about their love lives that they put their children's safety last and suddenly the boyfriend has intimate access to their kid.  If there weren't enough rooms in the rental, then Jihoon can sleep on the fucking couch.

A healthy man gets multiple erections while asleep so I have never understood why a couple would want a kid near that.

• Love 7
On 7/2/2019 at 3:58 AM, Bunnyette said:

Cory should have just booked a hotel when he arrived to no Evelin. It’s a big city where he landed, then not say anything and have her wonder when her meal ticket was arriving.  

That would have been great!  Maybe he would have been distracted by any one of thousands of women that would make a better match than Evil-lin.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 7/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, islandgal140 said:

Evil-in's theme songs must be Ice, Ice baby by Vanilla Ice and Cold-blooded by Rick James.  I think the only reason she met him at the bus stop is to get the last little bit of shit he brought with him - the tv, cash whatever. She bled him dry. All the shit is in her name. She has no further use for him anymore. I can't find a shred of sympathy for Corey. He is the very definition of a SIMP. 

Corey if you can survive that 95 lb blood sucking mosquito Evil-in for this long, no need to worry about the ones in Ecuador. 

Or any mal-intended humans, for that matter, since he has found one who has already robbed him of everything!

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, MrHufflepuff said:

And now, another Haiku....

Pole, a terrorist.

Is Jesus Lizard running?

A load in the pants.

I do love me a good haiku. Please keep 'em coming.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, iwasish said:

Let’s see how it works for Nicole first. 

What? You didn't see Azan's enthusiastic response to her cooing over her purple hair? If he didn't want to marry her before she's just found the key to getting him say I do.

20 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

yoda.jpg

I need you to know that I just nose snorted by morning Dunkin' Donuts ice coffee over this. Its a baby Yoda!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm forever amazed at the life altering decisions people make from having babies without a solid foundation of a relationship and no way to support that child to heading over to another country to live with a virtual stranger without knowing the language and understanding that country's cultural norms.  And how do you drag a child to live in a foreign country to live when you barely know the person you are chasing after?  

• Love 6

I have some friends ... a nice couple with twins who remind me of Drucilla. The parents seem blind to the fact that they need to take the reins and have some control over the children. I read recently about some reviews of good new books about parenting, and I was going to send them one, but I can't remember where I where I read about them. I'm hoping someone has a nudge for me!