Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E11/12: This One is For One Million Dollars

Message added by Whimsy

It has been repeatedly stated that there is not to be rehashing of past seasons in the episode threads. There is a pinned mod note at the top of the page for TAR and there have been several mod notes. Posts have been removed and warnings have been issued. Keep this thread on topic

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

It is interesting how the hometown of a person/pair rarely helps. I guess you might be familiar with airport and some locations but you still have to depend on the cab and the task at hand.

This is so true. In a city like Cleveland, which is divided into East and West by a river, people are much more familiar with things on their own side of the river.

• Love 2

It is interesting how the hometown of a person/pair rarely helps. I guess you might be familiar with airport and some locations but you still have to depend on the cab and the task at hand.

Though in this case Detroit wasn’t really their hometown. They are from Jackson which is like 80 miles away.

t is interesting how the hometown of a person/pair rarely helps. I guess you might be familiar with airport and some locations but you still have to depend on the cab and the task at hand.

There is always a home field advantage at one level (basic locations, navigating traffic, etc.), but there is also the risk that your knowledge can mislead you.  You may assume the clue means X and just head there, whereas the less knowledgeable would ask for help/phone and get the correct answer.  For example, I could see the clue being go to the Original Rays in NYC.  Well, everyone knows X is the original Rays, but then it turns out to be something completely different.  I'd end up on 9th street thinking, oh, no, what did I do?  Or, as in the one season, deciding whether to take the a cab or subway from Newark to the Unisphere.  I'd never take a cab all the way out there in real life, but someone with no knowledge might do so and beat me.  Of course, in that case, the winners took the 7 train instead of a cab. 

1 hour ago, Archery said:

Even Jamal -- dude: just take the directions a step at a time, reciting them out loud as you do the task.  Had he done that, he would have immediately figured out that he was not stopping on the counterclockwise 7 as instructed. 

I 100% agree with this.  I used to be in tech support, and it was a major training process if a trainee wasn't following instructions:  "Read it again - out loud.  Do each step before you move ahead."

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, BarneySays said:

There is always a home field advantage at one level (basic locations, navigating traffic, etc.), but there is also the risk that your knowledge can mislead you.  You may assume the clue means X and just head there, whereas the less knowledgeable would ask for help/phone and get the correct answer.  For example, I could see the clue being go to the Original Rays in NYC.  Well, everyone knows X is the original Rays, but then it turns out to be something completely different.  I'd end up on 9th street thinking, oh, no, what did I do?  Or, as in the one season, deciding whether to take the a cab or subway from Newark to the Unisphere.  I'd never take a cab all the way out there in real life, but someone with no knowledge might do so and beat me.  Of course, in that case, the winners took the 7 train instead of a cab. 

Exactly.  In TAR original recipe, Frank and Margarita were from NYC and convinced that they could do better taking the subway than using a cab due to traffic.  So, that's what they did while the other teams got cabs.  However, the finale was filmed in the early morning hours on a Sunday and traffic was very light, so the cab riding teams beat them by a bunch.  They outsmarted themselves.

In this particular leg, even if they'd been from Detroit and knew the landmarks, they were taking a cab from place to place anyway.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the finale and enjoyed seeing Detroit.  I don't think I could have, in any way imaginable, completed any of those tasks, so congrats to all of the racers in the episode.

The only nit I have to pick is with Colin's "we went against the best of the best" which, no.  The racers chosen to represent Survivor were definitely not chosen for their competitive strengths.  I was impressed that Victor and Nicole did as well as they did-I think Victor actually carried them through quite a bit.

Am looking forward to next season!  Hopefully there won't be any "gimmicks."

• Love 3
(edited)
57 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Detroit.  I don't think I could have, in any way imaginable, completed any of those tasks, so congrats to all of the racers in the episode.

Even fowling? 

I have never heard of fowling before but weirdly enough a few hours before the episode aired The Lonely Island Guys IG’d themselves playing at this place so I heard about it twice in one day!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

In TAR original recipe, Frank and Margarita were from NYC and convinced that they could do better taking the subway than using a cab due to traffic.  So, that's what they did while the other teams got cabs.  However, the finale was filmed in the early morning hours on a Sunday and traffic was very light, so the cab riding teams beat them by a bunch.  They outsmarted themselves.

Ah, yes.  I had misremembered.  One of the biggest boneheaded moves was when that extremely annoying "fan" crowed about being from the bronx and then dismissed his taxi when he was on Randalls Island (which is nowhere near another taxi).  I hated that season because I found him insufferable from first.

I was catching up on the RHAP exit interviews. The Top 3 teams gave exit press but Nicole & Victor passed on Rob. I’m sure Nicole got bent out of shape by some comment Rob made. Poor baby! Ugh! So glad they (she) lost. Just like on BB she let the man do everything. Victor seems like a nice guy but he’s also a little too serious and loves by a high standard moral code or something like that. Anyway, Colin & Christy were their usual nice & zen self in the interview. Tyler & Kory explained a lot of the backstory with the drums. Leo dropped a lot of F bombs (which were kind of funny) and, Jamal seemed very at peace with the turnout but also bummed.....rightfully so.

It was a fun season. I can’t believe it’s over. It got me over the Survivor drought end & BB starting so I appreciate that. I’m curious if they’ll follow suit for the next installment or will just plug TAR when one of their show fails. They don’t get much respect but I think CBS appreciates how they perform......somewhat. LOL!!!!! 

(edited)

The answer to everyone's most pressing question: https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/the-amazing-race-31-winners-colin-guinn-christie-woods-exit-interview/

GD: Christie, you have gorgeous hair, but I need to know, how do you race with your hair down?
Christie:
 [Laughs] Well, you knew it was getting serious if I had it back in a bun. When we were doing the rowing and when we were doing the drums, I did have it back in a bun. But I don’t know. I think it’s just part of me and I forget that it’s even there. So unless I’m super hot and sweaty, it doesn’t even occur to me to do anything with it, but I will and I’ll pull it back.

Edited by alihart41
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, vousviou said:

I'm not surprised Leo and Jamal came in third -- they have always had a tendency to get sloppy and jump to conclusions without completely understanding a task. I think they knew this, but couldn't quite get past it in the pressure of competition.

Over and over again, they make one mistake and instead of readjusting and trying something new, they just keep doing the same thing and can't figure out why it's not working.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, alihart41 said:

The answer to everyone's most pressing question: https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/the-amazing-race-31-winners-colin-guinn-christie-woods-exit-interview/

GD: Christie, you have gorgeous hair, but I need to know, how do you race with your hair down?
Christie:
 [Laughs] Well, you knew it was getting serious if I had it back in a bun. When we were doing the rowing and when we were doing the drums, I did have it back in a bun. But I don’t know. I think it’s just part of me and I forget that it’s even there. So unless I’m super hot and sweaty, it doesn’t even occur to me to do anything with it, but I will and I’ll pull it back.

Whew! Now, I can sleep. Get that girl a shampoo commercial quick. Her hair is everything.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Good finale,and outcome.  I enjoyed the England leg.  I’ve been to Dover Castle, although by car, not helicopter.  Also knew about the London black cabs and the test for licensing.  I have family in England so I’ve been several times.  Cabbies knowledge is pretty impressive.  On the cab task, I’m amazed that any of the teams got it!

Glad I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know about the Fort Wayne there!

• Love 2

I wish somehow Colin and Christie and Tyler and Korey could both have won. I love both teams. But I’m thrilled that Colin and Christie finally got their win, as I’ve always thought they were one of the best teams of all time, and Colin is certainly in the running for single best racer of all time. He is just somehow good at EVERYTHING. His ability to nail that rowing task really saved them (though holding the rows out of the water looked quite difficult also so honorable mention to Christie), and I quickly supposed upon seeing the fowling that he knew how to throw a football. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I was glad Colin & Christie won. They are very dull in personality for reality tv though.

I found them intense and exciting and anything but dull.  Their life story and growth was mesmerizing to me. 

OTOH I find the typical 20-something airheads with no life history who like to act out on screen doing outrageous things for attention the most shallow, dull and boring of people.

7 hours ago, Archery said:

I heard Korey and Tyler gloat that this was their "hometown" and immediately thought, "Frank and Margarita would love to chat with you about that." 

Also TAR2 Wil says hi.  (And in the middle of the Race itself who can forget that Paris was their "home" for some years for The Guidos).

20 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Who else would be on that list?  (Or is there a thread devoted to this elsewhere?)

Best individual Racer?  Yeah I'd go with Colin but also would have Zach on the list too. 

Zach ran his whole Race impeccably with one of the most major handicaps in Race history.  A loud, screeching albatross around his neck who whined and sulked and threatened to quit every other task.  Someone named Flo that you may remember.

Edited by green
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12

You’d have to add Eric to that list (and Jeremy in his first season) who to this day have the best average placement in a Race, ever. Eric and Jeremy had a best single double leg performance traveling from South America to Moscow to Munich without a rest period.

Another great team in their season was Chip and Reichen, whose airport skills in their season rivaled Colin during Colin’s first season.

one reason why I created an objective based average placement leg for each team for all seasons beginning with TAR 3 was to facilitate such discussion. While I’m in the process of updating for TAR 31 now that’s it’s over, I can say that Colin and Christie’s average placement in this season is even better than in TAR 5. And Korey and Tyler’s average this season was literally just a tad lower than in their first season. And all four averages are in n the top 20 all time for all the seasons combined,

Meaning there’s objective support for the notion that this season was among the best.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Too bad for Leo's brain fart with the vault.  But I'm glad he and Jamal got all the records back and finally overcame their final 4 curse.  How much further behind were they in reaching the mat?  They did all the tasks so they didn't get a pity direction to head to the pitstop.

Judging by the shadows at the mat, Leo and Jamal looked to be around an hour behind.

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

His ability to nail that rowing task really saved them (though holding the rows out of the water looked quite difficult also so honorable mention to Christie),

Christie was holding the oars on the surface, which is the right thing to do. The person not rowing should keep the oar blade parallel to the surface of the water and the oar itself so that it’s skimming the water as you go - keeps the boat balanced. Bravo/brava to them both - that’s hard to do if you’ve never rowed. 

Edited by ML89
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Colin has rowed in all kinds of watercraft. He mentioned previously that growing up to the Padre Islands across from Corpus Christi, he and his friends would paddle in rafts go to one another’s houses by the time he was 12 or 13. He found a way to use Christie to balance the scull and figure out how to get the speed needed to finish in time. No one else figured this  out. Could Colin and Christie complete the other side of the detour? Most likely. But they figured they could do this one faster.

Edited by theschnauzers
%*&#@@ apple induced typos
  • Love 5

I think Christie's just beautiful.   The Detroit cabbie might disagree with me.

Afghanimals choked like they did the first time around, when they just couldn't see what they were doing wrong in building that robot-like figure.   Maybe this time they used up too many brain cells constantly hyping their own awesomeness.   I hoped they would catch a penalty in England for grabbing a cab rather than booking it like everybody else was required to do

I don't like the White Stripes, or that song, but it seemed perfect for that challenge.  As the tension amped up, so did the music.   It was maddening and exhilarating all at once.

Great to see the Reilly girls at the finish line.   

Despite that it was precisely the finish I wanted (given the three teams running the last leg), I don't like that all three were rewarded for scheming together against other teams.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

You're not alone.  My first thought when I heard the clue was "Shit, now they've got to drive to Indiana?"

That was my first thought, too, but then I remembered that the Detroit Airport is Detroit Wayne and realized there must have been a Fort Wayne near Detroit.

37 minutes ago, millennium said:

I hoped they would catch a penalty in England for grabbing a cab rather than booking it like everybody else was required to do

Leo and Jamal did order a cab; they were the first ones to realize that protocol.

• Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, mertensia said:

That was my first thought, too, but then I remembered that the Detroit Airport is Detroit Wayne and realized there must have been a Fort Wayne near Detroit.

And Detroit is located within Wayne County.

Edited by theschnauzers
21 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I was as intensely for Team C&C this finale as I was against them last time around. Fifteen years... Crazy.

Same here, I was so happy when C&C (Music Factory, sorry I could not pass that up) did not win the first time.  Granted Chip and Kim are my all-time favorite team so I was biased but yeah I really did not like C&C their first go around.  This time I was really happy that they won, I mean I did read the spoilers that they won when they were posted a year ago so I was not shocked they won.  But I was happy that they did win.

19 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Christie in the cab was intense and downright scary. When Colin was trying to remind her that they are now zen people sister wasn't buying it. LOL!!! I'm still glad they won though. I thought they totally out when Christie was still typing......

Yeah that was not very zen of her.  It was so weird seeing her as the intense one and Colin trying to be the calming factor.  What a 180 there.

18 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I don't know. Even with his help Christie had trouble. That said, if he hadn't helped at all she might still be there. They all wanted Nicole & Victor out so bad and decided to work together is kind of dumb in the Final 4. Even if you are friends or in alliance I think the Final 4 is where I would end those deals.

I understand why they have alliances on TAR but I find them to be stupid.  I am not sure but I just was never fond of them and I have always felt like they cheapened the spirit of the race.

16 hours ago, Novel8 said:

Then there was the task of memorizing locations for a ride in the taxi. No one could have gone through the first time and knew them all. The winners had to do it 22 times.

I could not do it, but if you have a photographic memory you probably could.

16 hours ago, Whimsy said:

MASSIVE eyeroll from Eliza that I thought her eyeballs were going to pop out of her head. 

As others have said, that is her "thing".  It was what she was known for on Survivor, so I would not be shocked if either the producers decided to tell her to do it.  Or she just did it on her own because that is what she is "known" to do.

Eliza really disappointed me on here.  I always liked her on Survivor and I will admit I find her attractive.  But seeing her on here really killed my goodwill towards her.

I had read other posters in the Survivor section say that she was an asshole but I did not want to believe it (because I still do think she's cute).  Hell part of me is wondering if Corrine is just a bad influence on her.  Probably not, but it could be true.

Now I have always despised Corrine, she has never not been an asshole.

14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was team Tyler and Korey all the way. They had fun and appreciated every moment they were on the race, and (I think) won more legs than any other team. They're the type of team, on paper anyway, most fans say they like. Always polite to the locals and appreciative of the experience. I was on edge the last hour as they pulled ahead then fell behind again.

I have said it before I like Korey, but there is something about Tyler I just do not like.  I cannot put my finger on it, but yeah I just do not like him and I was happy that he did not win.  If Korey could have somehow won all by himself I would have been good with that though.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Leo and Jamal did order a cab; they were the first ones to realize that protocol.

I'll take your word for it, as nothing could induce me to go back to the episode and waste one more moment of my life on Leo and Jamal. 

• Love 1

I rolled my eyes when Nicole whined about the other teams colluding against her and Victor. There is a big difference between other teams helping each other and actively trying to sabotage you. No one is ever obligated to help you on TAR (or in life), but someone else's lack of help doesn't necessarily mean that they're scheming against you.

Even if you take away any personal feelings that the other teams had about Nicole and Victor, Korey/Tyler and Colin/Christie arrived at the castle at almost the same time so they decided to work together and help each other, which was the smart thing to do since they saw Leo/Jamal complete the task and leave just as everyone else arrived. To make it to the finale, you just need to beat one team and I can't blame anyone if the one team they want to beat is the team that they're less close with.

Even more ridiculous was the fact that Nicole's paranoid assumption that the other teams were working against them was based upon Colin telling Korey and Tyler that it was a deciphering task when they arrived. Colin knew that from reading the clue so if he hadn't told Korey and Tyler, they would have found out it was a decoding task about 30 seconds later when they opened the clue and read it for themselves. Colin wasn't exactly giving away state secrets.

I also think it's a bit much for a team that was already in a previous alliance to complain when other teams decide to help each other out. So an alliance is only okay when you're included in it?

Before the episode started, Mr. EB and I briefly discussed who we thought might win. Colin/Christie and Tyler/Korey have been the most consistent this season but that doesn't necessariiy mean anything in the finale. It just takes one mistake to lose. Leo and Jamal were much stronger competitors in their previous seasons. This time around, they kept making mistakes and escaping elimination by the skin of their teeth. But again, you never know what will happen in the finale so I thought there was still a possibility that they could power through.

I was rooting for either C+C or Tyler/Korey because I like to see consistency rewarded, but once Nicole and Victor were eliminated I was like fine, I'll be okay with whoever wins now.

I liked that the legs were designed so that there was room for people to catch up or fall behind (although I don't anyone anticipated that opening the vault door would cause any team to fall so far behind!).

I'd never heard of fowling before and I kind of wish they had replaced that task with something else because it was so basic as a task. As soon as Phil explained what it was, Mr. EB said, "Ahh, the things that drunk people come up with."

19 hours ago, Novel8 said:

Then there was the task of memorizing locations for a ride in the taxi. No one could have gone through the first time and knew them all. The winners had to do it 22 times.

There were 22 items that they had to to memorize (15 streets and 7 landmarks). Leo and Jamal got everything right on their fifth attempt. Korey and Tyler got it on their third attempt.

1589845594_TAR1.thumb.jpg.cfb221058ae5367d1aac7b5aaf2cfe24.jpg

149008432_TAR2.thumb.jpg.d1c90ddc90b789410b6569d06563fba1.jpg

• Love 18

21 HOURS AGO,  BYANOSE SAID: 

I don't know. Even with his help Christie had trouble. That said, if he hadn't helped at all she might still be there. They all wanted Nicole & Victor out so bad and decided to work together is kind of dumb in the Final 4. Even if you are friends or in alliance I think the Final 4 is where I would end those deals.

I understand why they have alliances on TAR but I find them to be stupid.  I am not sure but I just was never fond of them and I have always felt like they cheapened the spirit of the race.

19 HOURS AGO,  NOVEL8 SAID: 

I could not do it, but if you have a photographic memory you probably could.

1. The TAR teams were offended by the BB team alliance, and then then non-TAR team alliance, so they responded in kind. Given the circumstances of this season, it was understandable but at least they knew it would end of final three.

2. You didn’t need a photographic memory, for the taxi license task, you needed an audiographic memory (ability to remember everything you hear. (My mother did have the audiographic memory. When I was younger I clearly had a degree of both, so I knew the difference.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Yes, they were the first ones to go to the taxi office. Everyone was just running up to cabs and asking, "Can you take us?" Leo and Jamal were told by a taxi driver that they had to go to the taxi stand.

• Love 2

Two quick things: 

1. If your post did not include ANY response to THIS episode but instead talked about past seasons/racers, it's been removed. 

2. The topic of who is the best racer is interesting, but doesn't belong here.  I moved @Fukui San thread and the responses into a more general topic here. Further discussion of who is the best will be moved. 

19 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Of course. They almost always emerge from within the ranks. But it needn't be on drums; the many drum majors I've known encompassed among them pretty much all the wind (or, yes, percussion) instruments. The term "drum major" is a survival from centuries ago when such officers led a corps of drums only, but it's been unrelated to drums specifically for a very long time. Such is the evolution of terminology.

Right. I understand all that. Just pointing out that if someone is in a marching band, that is probably not all they do. A drummer in a marching band, like my husband was, for example, also likely plays in other venues. In college was in an R&B/funk band, a jazz ensemble, and the university marching band. So it would not be beyond the pale to think that a drum major also knew his way around a drum kit. 

3 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

1. The TAR teams were offended by the BB team alliance, and then then non-TAR team alliance, so they responded in kind. Given the circumstances of this season, it was understandable but at least they knew it would end of final three.

2. You didn’t need a photographic memory, for the taxi license task, you needed an audiographic memory (ability to remember everything you hear. (My mother did have the audiographic memory. When I was younger I clearly had a degree of both, so I knew the difference.

I was saying your second point to my H while watching. I'm really bad at retaining things I hear. Like if someone gives me verbal directions to a place, I can remember maybe the first two steps. I can't imagine having to remember 22 (well, 11, if it was split up). Now if I had to memorize stuff that was written down? I don't have a photographic memory, but I'd still do much better at that sort of task. I'm guessing Korey does have an audiographic memory.

To comment on what some others said, I agree that the fowling seemed out of place in the final leg. It would have been more of a challenge if *both* team members had to knock all their pins down. Or if they only got, say, 3 tries then all the pins had to be set up again. The record-making challenge was interesting in an "Oh that's how they make records" kind of way, but didn't add much drama really. Running through the market in the next to last leg was pretty great--and I forget who said it (Tyler maybe?), but they showed one racer saying, "Oh good, now all we have to do is find Phil and check in" before finding him then being given that clue! Drum challenge was good, too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes, they were the first ones to go to the taxi office. Everyone was just running up to cabs and asking, "Can you take us?" Leo and Jamal were told by a taxi driver that they had to go to the taxi stand.

Yup. Not only that, but they had the foresight to ask the guy in the stand if you could get a taxi any other way and the guy said no because it's illegal to pick up cabs. And then they directed Tyler and Korey to the stand while they waited for their cab. The Afghanimals can be super sloppy, and sure, they got lucky that the driver they talked to told them to go to the stand first, but that was the thing that gave them the lead that leg that they never relinquished. That was a good leg for them after, you know, being a strong team but not showing it for the past eight or nine legs. 

• Love 7

And then they directed Tyler and Korey to the stand while they waited for their cab.

I got the impression they directed Tyler and Korey away from the stand. They told them to go inside the airport, but the stand was just outside. Tyler and Korey were headed towards the general area of the cab stand so Leo and Jamal did their normal "No, go there" mis-direction. It slowed Tyler and Korey down a few more minutes.

Christie did lose a bit of her Zen in the cab.  But considering the massive displays of KF we've witnessed in the past, I think she kept her cool pretty well.

Alliances are an unfortunate fact of latter-day TAR that TPTB have worked hard to introduce. In-fightig and back-stabbing mixed with inter-personal draaama are deemed necessary to entertain the audience.  The "U-Turn Vote" is just a Mini-Tribal Council, whose entire purpose is to set one team against another. Because we couldn't possibly enjoy a race whose outcome was decided by competent racing, and not spitefulness.

Pleasantly surprised by T&K.  Found Tyler positively loathsome on his first TAR appearance. This time around he was quite bearable.

Surprised the Afganimals had trouble with the vault.  The procedure for entering the combination is pretty much the same as for any combination safe or vault I've ever used. And not that hard to get your head around.  I believe that as a team they suffer from a lack of focus. That's why the small details continually manage to trip them up.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, kili said:

I got the impression they directed Tyler and Korey away from the stand. They told them to go inside the airport, but the stand was just outside. Tyler and Korey were headed towards the general area of the cab stand so Leo and Jamal did their normal "No, go there" mis-direction. It slowed Tyler and Korey down a few more minutes.

Not that I could see.  It looked like they were helping Tyler & Korey.  But the Afganibles were ahead of them in line so of course had the advantage.

Whichever way it was I agree with alihart41 that that was what helped them win that leg.  They got to the boats a lot sooner and had maybe two official tries even was it before the next team showed up?  Which allowed them to bolt quicker to the taxi task.

I really did feel bad for Leo at the vault though.  It brought back nightmares of me using combination locks in junior high and high school.  God I sucked at that no matter how many years I had to do it.

And yeah MarylandGirl, I also always need written directions.  Especially if I scribble them down myself as in if I write it I remember it without having to look at it again.  Does that mean I have some sort of "writeographic" memory, heh.  A bunch of oral directions means absolutely nothing to me.  In one ear and out the other.

Actually for real is there some sort of writeographic thing?  In all my years of schooling I'd take notes then before tests I never ever cracked a text book or even went back over my notes.  Once I wrote something down it went somewhere into my brain as well.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, kili said:

I really don't think so. The taxi stand was located in the entryway hall between the outside and the actual airport (there were two sets of doors to get outside). I remember a wide shot of it when Nic and Vic were placing their order, and when Tyler and Korey ran in, they almost ran past it and went inside the actual airport until they saw Nic and Vic. Also at the beginning, when they all ran out of the airport (the shot in the previews), you could see a huge sign that said TAXI with an arrow pointing back inside.

I agree with green that they were genuinely helping Tyler and Korey. They literally said "you have to book it in there" and pointed back to the airport. And from my memory, Tyler and Korey looked lost when they wound up back on the sidewalk next to the Afghanimals. They didn't have to help them, but there was no reason not to help them at that point since, like green said, they were already first. And Race teams wanted an all-Race final three, so helping Tyler and Korey would ensure that.

Now if they had directed Nic and Vic, I'd be a tad more suspicious.

• Love 1

For those who are saying that Christie sort of lost her Zen with the cab driver, at least she admits it:

GD: There were a few times in the final leg where you had a brief lead and you came up against something, like your missing cab and the lock on the drum. We saw you guys come really close to losing it, so how hard was it for you guys to keep it cool when the finish was right there?
Christie: Well, I did kind of lose it on the cab driver, to be fair. [Laughs]

• Love 1
On 6/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, vousviou said:

There's a little bit of an irony of C&C beating T&K -- if Korey hadn't given Christie so much help decoding the message, it's possible C&C would have been knocked out in the second to last leg. And then in a final I think T&K would have had a bit more of an advantage against Victor and Nicole.

I had a similar thought.  They also gave Colin and Christie help at the Camden Market scavenger hunt. In fact, I think that probably made more of a difference than Korey and Christie working together at the roadblock—Christie might have struggled regardless, but sometimes having someone giving you advice on top of the official directions you're receiving can mess you up worse than just working on your own. It didn't seem like Christie really understood what Korey was telling her on his way out, so she may have wasted time trying to figure out what he meant, instead of just starting again and working through the directions on the page, which is what she had to do in the end.

I actually think they would have been faster (and stealthier) filling out their worksheets independently and then comparing the numbers assigned to each letter, and then comparing how they filled in the boxes with the letters, instead of discussing the directions and trying to come to some shared understanding of them before proceeding.

17 hours ago, alihart41 said:

Christie:

I have the same attitude towards my hair (I really don't like having stuff on my head—hats, hairpins, hair ties, etc.), but mine is not nearly as thick or as long as hers.

As for the cab, I think that's an example of how important tone can be. Christie definitely lost her cool, but her message was fine—that they were going to be in and out of the cab all day, time was of the essence, and so he needed to park where they could see him.

I was happy with the end, but I would have been at least as happy if Tyler and Korey had won—Colin's talk of vibes and the universe was starting to grate on me by the second hour of the finale. I'm glad he and Christie have found a way to be calmer, happier people, but as someone who doesn't go in for any kind of spirituality, I start to get annoyed when people constantly bring up theirs (or are edited that way). I don't mind the odd reference to flowing energies (or to Jesus or God, or whatever/whoever else), but the editors went too hard on the zen angle. Their transformation from who they were in Season 5 is a compelling story, for sure, (and did make their win a satisfying one) but I'd bet there were other ways it could have been demonstrated.

• Love 1

I wanted to like Eliza here, as I think she did ok on Survivor. But once I heard that she even had ANYTHING to do with Corinne - that was it - strongly despise. Corinne was derisive of someone who had just lost a parent. Heartless, for sure. She also made the claim, "It's easy to be nice. Anyone can be nice." But apparently being a raving hag is tricky business and best left to Corinne.

Liked the order of the finale. I would have really liked to see Nic and Vic in the final three though - instead of Leo and Jamal. But that wasn't going to happen because of the previous leg. C & C would have had to lose at the final "find things at the mat" task for N & V to be in the top three, and that wasn't worth it.

I thought both N & V were fairly intelligent. Not nearly as clueless as many racers have been. Nic mostly did the taxi cab recitation but she helped a bit. Anyone completing that task is impressive in my book.

Great season.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I rolled my eyes when Nicole whined about the other teams colluding against her and Victor. There is a big difference between other teams helping each other and actively trying to sabotage you. No one is ever obligated to help you on TAR (or in life), but someone else's lack of help doesn't necessarily mean that they're scheming against you.

That's really a semantic difference.  When all of the other teams are working together, they are de facto working against you. 

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even more ridiculous was the fact that Nicole's paranoid assumption that the other teams were working against them was based upon Colin telling Korey and Tyler that it was a deciphering task when they arrived. Colin knew that from reading the clue so if he hadn't told Korey and Tyler, they would have found out it was a decoding task about 30 seconds later when they opened the clue and read it for themselves. Colin wasn't exactly giving away state secrets.

I disagree.  The clues are sometimes intended to deceive the teams into thinking a physical task is a mental task and vice versa.  They were clear that corey has the better mental skills throughout the race, so being able to ensure tyler did not volunteer for the task was a significant help.  It's always helpful to know what the task is going to be before choosing who will do it.  This is why they have to choose before they learn what the task actually is.  In the last several seasons they've gotten lazy (or the editing has) because players will observe the task before making their choice.  If I recall, they used to be shielded from being able to see what it entailed. 

Edited by BarneySays
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BarneySays said:

That's really a semantic difference.  When all of the other teams are working together, they are de facto working against you.

Not really.  This is TAR.  Not Survivor or BB.  You help each other in loose alliance to try and survive.  Not to vote anyone out.  The only negative move against Nic & Vic was the Afganibles u-turning them.  But then Nic & Vic said they were planning to u-turn the Afganibles on that leg too but didn't get to the u-turn in time.

Also the BB teams formed an alliance right out of the gate so if an alliance is indeed a negative towards other teams then the BB teams started it. 

But if they wanted to be loyal to their show I have no problem with it.  Nor with TAR teams representin' for TAR.  The season was billed as BB vs Survivor vs TAR after all.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, alihart41 said:

I really don't think so. The taxi stand was located in the entryway hall between the outside and the actual airport (there were two sets of doors to get outside). I remember a wide shot of it when Nic and Vic were placing their order, and when Tyler and Korey ran in, they almost ran past it and went inside the actual airport until they saw Nic and Vic. Also at the beginning, when they all ran out of the airport (the shot in the previews), you could see a huge sign that said TAXI with an arrow pointing back inside.

Maybe the rules are different at Gatwick than Heathrow, but I seem to remember a taxi line when I was at the airport in London.

I get teams helping each other for mutual benefit, because you're best buds with another team, etc.. The problem I had with the final 3 TAR teams helping each other at final 4, was that it seemed like the main purpose was making sure that team "not one of us" didn't make it to the final 3 as opposed to making sure your pal did. I was disappointed in that. As for the coding roadblock, as BarneySays noted above, the person performing the roadblock is to be chosen before the clue is read and the details of the challenge are known. Roadblocks are purposely done that way. Colin giving that info to Tyler and Korey went against how the game is meant to be played. That bothered me. Aside from all that, it's final 4. Helping should be over. You should be doing everything you can to make sure you're as far ahead of other teams as you can get, not putting time and energy into trying to keep another team out of the final 3.

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't like teams helping each other, I never do it reduces drama, but I thought Colin and Christie will still likely to make the final without that as they seemed to have a decent lead.

I didn't think Christie was that bad with the taxi driver, she just made it clear that he should park with the others, in a final leg there's bound to be some tension.  We've seen before how taxi drivers can lose people the race.

Good detour in London, tough both sides, that's how it should be.  Colin may have been most impressive doing the safe.  Leo the weak point again for the Afghanimals.

The drum task wasn't a bad way to end, though I do miss the memory task about all the legs to wind things up.

It does make me wonder why when they do bring back old teams they don't go to some of the earlier seasons rather than just more recent ones.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

It does make me wonder why when they do bring back old teams they don't go to some of the earlier seasons rather than just more recent ones.

I would love to see teams from early seasons. I think, judging by how many people were rooting for Colin and Christie, the nostalgia factor alone would get people to watch. Unfortunately, I assume that life, in general, is what prevents earlier teams from racing again. Season one was filmed 19 years ago (!!!) so some of the earlier teams now have jobs/families they can’t leave, aren’t healthy enough or have passed on, or haven’t spoken to their former teammate in a decade, etc.

• Love 4

Just watched now! Awesome!

I was down on Colin and Christie at the start of the race but by the end I was all in on them! It would have tainted the entire season if Team Camera Mug had won and we'd have to watch Tyler strutting around on the finish mat like he owned the world not just racing around it.

It was nailbiting at the drums...I was so worried that Colin and Christie were going to drop to second place if the camera whores spotted that washer on the ground.

I will guiltily admit that I did enjoy Christies meltdown in the cab and Colin being the voice of reason. That showed his journey in a nutshell from back in TAR's heydey.

LOL at the afahanmil sitting there in the bank vault...it was unrecoverable for them at that point. How long did the other racers have to wait for them to show up?

Okay...now please producers...please do not bring ANY of these teams back especially Tyler and Korey...they've all had their day in the sun...let's move on...all new racers and now gimmicks please!

Does anyone know why Phil lowered his voice so much when checking in the teams after the Afghanimals at the market?

Rachel can still claim that she has run the most legs by a woman.

I thought I did see an ear plug in Colin's ear at one point? But I haven't gone back to check.

• Love 1

I really don't understand the animosity toward Tyler, in particular – especially during a season that had an actual execrable camera whore on it for her third time – but oh well.

For the sake of information, it wasn't all three TAR teams helping each other and deliberately excluding Nicole and Victor.  It was Tyler and Korey and Colin and Christie teaming up and helping each other whenever possible and convenient because those two specific teams were so genuinely close with each other during the race.  Leo and Jamal have said in post-finale interviews that they didn't care who the other two teams were in the final leg with them, as long as they themselves made it to the final leg.  The producers obviously fed T/K and C/C the question about having an all-TAR final three, and both teams said that would be nice, but they weren't like, "Fuck Nicole and Victor!  We hate them, and they must be annihilated!!!" And because this isn't Survivor or Big Brother, those two teams couldn't have really effectuated that outcome anyway (and I'm sure both teams knew that because they're very experienced Racers) because this show is primarily dependent on your own ability as a team to accomplish whatever tasks required; you can not want another team to beat you, but there's not much you can do about it if they can finish a task before you can.  Which Victor could, clearly.  If you listen to or read any post-finale interviews with Tyler and Korey in particular (since they seem to have been asked about it more directly than Colin and Christie from what I've come across), you understand how serious and deep the bond between the two teams was.  Korey said to Rob Cesternino, basically, that it didn't occur to the four of them not to help each other because they were so close and wanted to see each other do well (I have no evidence to back it up, but I kind of think C/C wanted T/K to win the Uganda leg because of what it would've meant to them).  Like, there was never a question that they wouldn't help each other, if possible, and that really wasn't directly about trying to screw Nicole and Victor so much as it was about wanting to help and race with people you love.

Honestly, the reason Nicole and Victor lost the London leg was because they tried to do the rowing task for two hours before switching.  With only four teams left, you have to be clear and decisive with your Detour selections; Tyler and Korey and, especially, Leo and Jamal knew pretty quickly that the rowing would not be able to be finished by them in a reasonable amount of time and switched without too much hesitation.  Nicole and Victor spent wayyyyyyy too much time trying to grind out that task without actually figuring out a system for accomplishing that task that would work for them.  Had they had the wherewithal to realize after even a few attempts that they just didn't have the focus or comprehension to figure out a feasible way to do the task, they would have switched much sooner and likely knocked Colin and Christie out because they only seemed to need four or five attempts at the taxi Detour to finish it.  However, because they only bailed once they had bled so much time, time that allowed Colin and Christie to catch up, they basically lost their advantage and sealed their fate.  They switched out of panic, and it was the right call in terms of switching to a task they could actually do, but they needed to make that switch with clearer, more rational heads much sooner.  With a team as formidable as Colin and Christie, you know they'll find a way to figure out that rowing task fairly efficiently, and that's exactly what they did (using the only system that could possibly work with inexperienced rowers).  I think if Nicole and Victor came back, they'd be much wiser Racers and have the clarity and ability to make quicker, more informed decisions that the other three, experienced teams had.  That's really why, in my opinion, we had an all-TAR final three, even though Nicole and Victor were certainly a very strong team in their own right.  The Race wisdom won out in the end, whether or not a few teams were helping each other.

• Love 13
(edited)

Was just able to watch tonight even though I checked this board yesterday morning to see who won. I wanted T&K to win so badly and I wanted to be mentally prepared if they weren’t the winners. Sigh. I still cried watching them come in second. 

I’m a Michigander so I was beyond excited watching them race in the D. That was fantastic. And I lived in metro Detroit for 10 years yet I also thought they were driving to Indiana when the last clue was read. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

I absolutely loved this season and I’m so very bummed that it’s over now. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1