Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: One Big Happy Family

druzy
  • Start Topic

Maci and Taylor have a TTM photoshoot debuting their toddler line, while Ryan’s family prepares for his release from prison. Catelynn worries that Nova isn’t adjusting to her new sister Vaeda, so decides to buy her a pony.

Airs: June 24, 2019

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, druzy said:

Maci and Taylor have a TTM photoshoot debuting their toddler line, while Ryan’s family prepares for his release from prison. Catelynn worries that Nova isn’t adjusting to her new sister Vaeda, so decides to buy her a pony.

That’s why they got a pony??

🤦‍♀️

• Love 7
8 hours ago, druzy said:

How is this show not satire? They're just parodies of themselves at this point. Are we being punk'd? ASHTON?? COME OUT ASHTON, YOU GOT US!

• LOL 15
  • Love 3

I have no words for Maci and her TTM photo shoots. 

Of course Ryan is too tired for a fucking phone call.

Cheyenne is all of a sudden fine with Taylor now that she has Baltimore Matt.

What was up with Ryder's party on a random street corner? Are there no parks? Pools? Trampoline places?

Amber is so fucking self centered. Andrew is about to have surgery and her biggest concern is how stressed and tired she will be taking morning shifts. 

And what's with all the NASA clothing? First Andrew from TM2, now Amber. Do they think it makes them look smart? It doesn't. 

I'm sorry; when has Cate EVER overextended herself? 

Shit, her baby is weeks old and she's already off to the spa. Of course Nova's freaking out. Last time mom went to a "spa" it was months before she came back. She's terrified. 

But buy her a pony. That will fix everything. Because...you know...you couldn't bond with her over books or painting your nails or anything. 

• Love 24
(edited)

You hope Ryan STILL likes you when he gets out of jail Mack? That’s a good one! He didn’t like you BEFORE he went to jail.  Idiot.

Nova’s trauma isn’t funny.  All of the adults are all, “whatever” while they smile and chuckle as Nova is inconsolable.  They all suck.   And why is Tyler’s skin so bad? Isn’t he like, 30?  Valera is TINY.

Edited by Emmierose
Nova isn’t Vaeda
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

Wow, Catelynn, so proud of you for thinking about getting the pony for several days  instead of jumping right into it (eye roll)...good lord, she knew she was getting it all along, even though she suffers from severe depression, and has a NEWBORN BABY... and we all know how well that has worked out in the past.

When she first mentioned getting the pony, Tyler looked horrified. He knew what is likely coming and who is likely to end up taking care of it when/before/during/after Cate loses it again.  Then he caved and went into denial mode.  It's a cycle. Very sad.

• Love 16

I was taken aback by Nova's meltdown and Cate's cavalier attitude towards it. Of course Nova freaked out when her mom said "I'm leaving." This is a child who is used to mommy disappearing for long stretches of time and doesn't have the security to trust that she'll return. Cate getting amused by Nova's distress (which she caused by saying "I'm leaving" instead of "I'll be gone a few hours but I'll be back to have supper with you" or whatever) and dismissing it as clingyness is a total disregard of Nova's emotional needs. Nova's not clingy, she's not spoiled, she is TERRIFIED that her mom will walk away for good, and the adults in her life are doing a piss-poor job understanding that mindset and doing anything to help foster faith they will stick around.

Tyler listening to Cate's plan to buy a pony and landing on the reaction that he will "trust" her decision sure felt like a defeated man accepting his fate. I'm sure Tyler "trusts" that if Cate loses interest in the pony, he'll be the one to take care of it, just like he does everything else (do we ever see Cate cooking or cleaning like we do Tyler?). I can't believe how proud Cate was of herself for waiting a couple days to purchase the pony when it's clear her mind was made up from the initial conversation. Cate seems unable to think beyond her immediate desires and Tyler no longer seems to have the energy to keep her in check. A happy marriage this is not.

• Love 23

After they got the pony, it was Tyler walking it around with Nova on it.  While Cate watched from the porch with the door open, on her way inside. She’s shouting “do you like your pony “ then heads inside   

Amber is just ridiculous.  She expected her mother to say “omg, you are a hero” when she said “I didn’t get much sleep but managed to go to bingo”. 

Cheyanne’s Matt is kind of hot from what I see while fast forwarding thru her scenes. 

Maci. Yawn. Sorry. I fell asleep. Rhine can’t even stay awake to film, how am I supposed to be expected to stay awake while watching?  

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Linny said:

dismissing it as clingyness is a total disregard of Nova's emotional needs.

And her mental health. You know, the phrase Cate throws around.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Linny said:

I was taken aback by Nova's meltdown and Cate's cavalier attitude towards it. Of course Nova freaked out when her mom said "I'm leaving." This is a child who is used to mommy disappearing for long stretches of time and doesn't have the security to trust that she'll return. Cate getting amused by Nova's distress (which she caused by saying "I'm leaving" instead of "I'll be gone a few hours but I'll be back to have supper with you" or whatever) and dismissing it as clingyness is a total disregard of Nova's emotional needs. Nova's not clingy, she's not spoiled, she is TERRIFIED that her mom will walk away for good, and the adults in her life are doing a piss-poor job understanding that mindset and doing anything to help foster faith they will stick around.

Cate doesn't understand when she gets to take "me" time as a mother.  It's not right when you bring a new baby home and your toddler has separation issues (that you caused).  IF I was going to take time away from the new baby, I would have used it to hang out with my toddler.  Cate is trying to present herself as so together, but she is not even close.  She showed zero emotional reaction to Nova's crying. 

• Love 22

I watched that whole scene with Cate leaving for the spa just cringing. I was also thinking about how much shit she was going to get on the internet for it. 

What Cate doesn't realize is that we know her history (props to the editors for putting all the pig scenes in this episode!) and that influences what people think and say.

Sorry Cate, the slate's not clean. A better mom would get some grace for what happened because, yes, moms need time away and all kids have clingy moments. But Cate's left not-Carly too often, and we've seen it all.

• Love 15

Instead of taking Nova to Once Upon A Treetop (or whatever Michigan's version of it is) Cate's lazy ass buys her daughter a pony. Tyler's a schmuck too. I don't care if he feels defeated, he needs to grow up. The only victims here are Nova and the pony. 

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

I don't actually watch this show, so could someone enlighten me -- is Cate going back to Arizona?  Or to a closer spa?    And how soon after the birth of Not Rainbow did she leave?

Cate wants to be careful about becoming exhausted because it will trigger her (in her words) postpartum so she is going to the spa for a few hours.

I think it's a dry run. Everyday she will leave for a few hours more than the prior day so Nova can adjust to her absence for extended periods of time. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

I don't actually watch this show, so could someone enlighten me -- is Cate going back to Arizona?  Or to a closer spa?    And how soon after the birth of Not Rainbow did she leave?

She was just going to get a massage for an hour. At a local spa. But I can understand Nova's terror and confusion, given Cate's tendency to run off to "spas" for much longer periods of time. No one seemed to understand why the poor child was so upset. 

I wasn't clear on the timing, but Vaeda had to have been just a few weeks old. She looked TEENY. To each their own, but I would have waited a bit longer to get some pampering time in. 

• Love 11
(edited)
29 minutes ago, druzy said:

I think it's a dry run. Everyday she will leave for a few hours more than the prior day so Nova can adjust to her absence for extended periods of time. 

Are they going to buy Nova a pony every time?

"Who leaves a country packed with ponies for a non-pony country, it just doesn't make sense"

Edited by Mr. Minor
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4

My heart broke for Nova. She was upset and that crew of sloths let her wind herself up to a full screaming, weeping, terrified meltdown in minutes. You don't holler "you'll be fine" from your recliner at your sobbing baby, Cate. Lumber on over to her and talk to her. God I hate Cate so fucking much. And Tyler, bitching at her about the curtains. Seriously dude?

They only ever call her "big sister" now. She needs to know that she still has a mommy and a daddy too, not just a baby sister that she has to "help" with.

• Love 24

How old is Nova? She seems to emotionally be 2 years old. That poor little girl. The adults were very dismissive of her feelings. Yeah a pony is exactly what she needs.🙄

• Love 5

Cate seems to forget all her “me” time is well documented   Again They put themselves out there, and are now surprised they get called for their antics.    You are not teenagers anymore.  Grow up.  Get real jobs.   Learn a trade.   Develop a skill   Something 

• Love 14

Not to be shallow, but April packed on some pounds, huh?

I would have told Nova that when I go, put on Beauty & The Beast and then have a snack/take a bath/read a book and by the time you finish all that, I'll be home.

Amber, you had to do a NIGHT SHIFT? with your own son who probably sleeps through the night?   omg how impressive!  (also didn't she say on an IG live that she has a staff of nannies?  is she lying to us?)

also, if your man is snoring too loudly, just go out on the couch or Leah's room or something...why is this hard????

Ryan, buddy, I know.  Life is just exhausting.  Sure.

I used to laugh at how dumb they all were, now it's just making me angry, what is that about???

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, starfire said:

Wow, Catelynn, so proud of you for thinking about getting the pony for several days  instead of jumping right into it (eye roll)...good lord, she knew she was getting it all along, even though she suffers from severe depression, and has a NEWBORN BABY... and we all know how well that has worked out in the past.

When she first mentioned getting the pony, Tyler looked horrified. He knew what is likely coming and who is likely to end up taking care of it when/before/during/after Cate loses it again.  Then he caved and went into denial mode.  It's a cycle. Very sad.

Yes! These two have a very unhealthy relationship...the psychopathy that brought them together when they were 13 was their shared experiences as children of drug addiction,  alcoholism and divorce. Catelynn's pregnancy with Carly and the adoption cemented their bond...but after that they didn't grow emotionally like normal teens/young adults. I blame some of this on their dependency on MTV. They did not do what their peers did...they didn't continue with their education and plan for a career. They didn't date other people or move away from the toxic environment they were brought up in. Now they're raising two children and the problems they face are adult problems but they are still stuck in adolescence. 

It's an easy fix however...Tyler needs to man up and say no to Catelynn and her selfishness...and the pony was a typical manipulative tool for Catelynn to implement. Just like the pig and the other horse she "needed". Tyler's concerns about owning another animal are real...animals of that size need fed, exercised and veterinarians. None of which is cheap. Tyler knows HE will be the one that has to do all this and pay the bills...just like he had to do with their children's clothing line. BTW is the Nova Reign clothing line defunct or still running? But I digress...Tyler and Catelynn need to sit down and plan a budget and put money aside for their daughters futures. Tyler needs to make Catelynn responsible for these animals and do her fair share of care taking. Grow a pair Tyler! And finally, they need couples counseling to help manage their stress and relationship problems. Sure they had tough childhoods and terrible parents but now they have the chance to make life for their kids better and create a healthy and happy environment for their kids. Putting this mess out there for millions of people to watch each week is no way to earn a living long term...they are not prepared for what life will be like when this show ends. The time to prepare is now and the sooner the better.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Catelynn and Tyler are so illiterate and ignorant and their lives are just depressing. I couldn’t spend that amount of money in such a sad way if I tried. It’s not full-on hookers and blow and MC Hammer memorabilia. It’s just a lot of tacky stuff that makes their lives worse. Lots of weird shades of blue. Ugly but new cars. Who needs a miniature pony? Aren’t they kind of mean? Or was that just the one that bit me?

Also, “postpartum” is not a condition. It’s a word to describe things that might happen after giving birth. Postpartum depression is one of those things. It drives me nuts how Catelynn drones on about her “pos’pardom.” I just feel like if you have a thing and want to talk about that thing in a public forum, you need to use proper terminology for the thing. See also: people who say they have “Celiac’s” like it’s named after Jack Celiac who discovered the disease in 1934. 

Nova makes me uncomfortable. Every time we see her she’s screeching and wailing, no matter what her mood is. I’m sure it’s largely due to the haphazard way she’s parented but she just seems so delayed and feral to me. I’d rather babysit all three of Leah Messer Simms Calvert Messer [Calvert?]’s hellions for a weekend than spend an hour with Nolevuh. 

These people’s lives are all kind of depressing to me, actually. (I don’t watch Cheyenne’s segments so I can’t speak to hers.) It seems so boring to not have a real job or skill or passion, and just sell tacky merchandise from home, if even that, and arbitrarily have kids you’re barely interested in, with people who probably don’t love you. Maci’s situation is the best of them and I still can’t imagine being married to scraggly facial hair (at least he’s a Cowboys fan!) and getting 40% of my calories from Bud Light. 

Ugh why do I watch this? I need to go catch up on My 600-Lb. Life to lighten the mood. 

Agree with EVERYTHING you said except the Cowboys fan part....I'm a Giants fan...LOL!

2 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Are they going to buy Nova a pony every time?

"Who leaves a country packed with ponies for a non-pony country, it just doesn't make sense"

Great Seinfeld reference...classic episode!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

Cate doesn't understand when she gets to take "me" time as a mother.  It's not right when you bring a new baby home and your toddler has separation issues (that you caused).  IF I was going to take time away from the new baby, I would have used it to hang out with my toddler.  Cate is trying to present herself as so together, but she is not even close.  She showed zero emotional reaction to Nova's crying. 

I blame some of this on the MTV world they live in...this "me " time that she needed didn't involve a long nap or going to the grocery alone or having coffee with a friend. It was a SPA! Of course all these teen moms are now spoiled by spa days, fancy rehabs, make up artists and resort vacays. Nova certainly has separation anxiety and she and Catelynn don't have a very strong bond. Catelynn seems almost comatose in regard to showing affection or concern for Nova and to some extent the new baby...almost robotic. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Also, “postpartum” is not a condition. It’s a word to describe things that might happen after giving birth. Postpartum depression is one of those things. It drives me nuts how Catelynn drones on about her “pos’pardom.” I just feel like if you have a thing and want to talk about that thing in a public forum, you need to use proper terminology for the thing. See also: people who say they have “Celiac’s” like it’s named after Jack Celiac who discovered the disease in 1934. 

Yes, a thousand times YES.  It drive me crazy.  How stupid are these people?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

would HAVE

would HAVE

would HAVE

Oh my god I cannot with her terrible grammar.  It stresses me out to the point that I need to go to the spa! 

She’s such an asshole. If she really cared, she’d know the correct terminology is “died by suicide.” Empathetic people don’t say “committed suicide” anymore. 

• Love 8

I never really hated Cait & Tyler, just felt sorry for them, until this episode. Now, I legit hate them. Poor little Nova, she was so terrified. I could never, and will never, leave my son in that state. That's cruel and fucking abusive in my book. Nova's going to have PTSD from her mom fucking abandoning her, then laughing when Nova's trauma is "triggered," Caits favorite word. And her asshole dad's too much of a pussy to do something about this sad, fucked up situation. I'd be loving on that sweet little girl so much she'd ask for some goddamn me time!

• Love 13

Who buys those shirts that Taylor’s “empire” is hawking?  And now, your toddler can wear one,too.  Who cares? You can get a T-shirt with a logo that actually means something to you at any Walmart or bodega. Are they selling any of them?

• Love 9
7 hours ago, kicksave said:

they didn't grow emotionally like normal teens/young adults. I blame some of this on their dependency on MTV.

I think this show has totally damaged their ability to actually grow as people and become functioning adults.  The steady stream of MTV money gave them no reason to have ambition and try to better themselves (this is true of pretty much all the Teen Moms, of course, with the exception of Farrah who, for whatever else you can say about her, has always had hustle), and being on TV has given them a false sense of self-importance (again, this is true of pretty much all of them - when these shows finally come to a real, permanent end, I would be very interested in seeing a decade later "where are they now" to see how they coped without the show).

But even more than that, I think the experience of the show has psychologically damaged Cate and Tyler (particularly Cate) in ways that might never be undone.  If 16 and Pregnant had just been a one-off show, I think that they would have been fine.  They would still have had to find a way to break out of the cycles of drug addiction and poverty that their families were stuck in, but I think that they would have found a way (albeit maybe not together, and that might have been for the best).

But the show turning into an ongoing thing is probably the worst thing that could have happened to them.  They put Carly up for adoption for a number of reasons, but one of them was certainly financial - they knew they couldn't provide for her in the way that she wanted her to be provided for.  Yet here they are now with this MTV money, probably thinking that if they had known then what they know now (that the money truck was about to pull in) they wouldn't have gone the adoption route.  I think at least some of their issues are a result of trying to grapple with the guilt and resentment and all the "what ifs" that flows from all that.

• Love 14

Could life be any harder for Amber having to take care of her husband and kid for two nights...one of which she was out playing Bingo with Leah and Kristina, Leah’s real mom? I mean, if Andrew’s snoring, go sleep in another bed. And the baby is definitely big enough not to need regular bottles and diaper changes overnight. She’s such a martyr talking about how she’ll do whatever she needs to do while she complains incessantly. Hope Andrew is back to normal so she can resume her sleeping til noon regular schedule.  

• Love 9
13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

5283EE83-4F25-43E7-AA5D-C16740325C83.jpeg

570A3DB8-1948-4EF2-BE62-30F1E7449AA7.jpeg

B500B2DA-A0CA-4452-BC37-118CCDF83302.jpeg

“Would of.” Oh, Cate.

6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

would HAVE

would HAVE

would HAVE

Oh my god I cannot with her terrible grammar.  It stresses me out to the point that I need to go to the spa! 

I see this all over FB every day and have stop myself from correcting everyone!

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, jennyf said:

Could life be any harder for Amber having to take care of her husband and kid for two nights...one of which she was out playing Bingo with Leah and Kristina, Leah’s real mom? I mean, if Andrew’s snoring, go sleep in another bed. And the baby is definitely big enough not to need regular bottles and diaper changes overnight. She’s such a martyr talking about how she’ll do whatever she needs to do while she complains incessantly. Hope Andrew is back to normal so she can resume her sleeping til noon regular schedule.  

3 hours ago, jennyf said:

Not a morning person...I guess that means she sleeps till 3 or 4 pm everyday? So she doesn’t take care of the baby all day and just feeds him supper and puts him to bed? We know she doesn’t cook or clean either. This guy is basically a nanny and housekeeper. 

• Love 7
On 6/24/2019 at 8:48 PM, Brooklynista said:

Amber fluffed Matt's pillow...ok? She's making such a huge sacrifice.  A regular Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I was chuckling to myself with Cate's comment to not overextend herself.  Doing what?  Going on fucking Twitter?  Tyler's skin is so bad.

Then there's Amber struggling with taking care of her baby at a different time than usual for like a day.  I totally thought they were setting us up for her making an excuse not to see Leah. 

Cheyenne needs to see the bright red flag of a man being able to pick up and move just like that AHEM DAVID AND OTHER MATT.  I still don't get R Kyle Lynn's name. 

• Love 6
On 6/24/2019 at 11:54 PM, Emmierose said:

You hope Ryan STILL likes you when he gets out of jail Mack? That’s a good one! He didn’t like you BEFORE he went to jail.  Idiot.

Maybe we can have a reality show crossover with Love After Lockup............I would be all in on that.

21 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Best line ever!

As usual, I missed the show.  I just can't remember to watch it at its slated time.  I will literally channel surf and never see it.  I might be smartening up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Poor Amber , she's not a morning person and has to wake up 2 days in a row before 12 . And other mothers just love waking up at the crack of dawn, having to go to work, take care of their kids when they get home from work, and waking up in the middle of the night to take care of their babies. I know the less you do, the more spoiled you become.. but for her to complain about ANYTHING is ridiculous. 90 % of the world doesn't get the luxury of sitting on a couch 24/7 and making hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing so. I know some people are more natural born mothers than others, but Amber just has no business having a kid.

• Love 8

You know, maybe I should pull a Cate at my job. I can tell my boss I can't send out that email and I can't call that client because I can't get stressed and it could trigger my depression. Also, I am taking the afternoon off and going to the spa. See how well that goes over.

Did Ryder really have 3 outfits for her birthday party? I do admit, all of the donuts and sweet stuff at her party looked yummy

• Love 8