Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Butterfly/Cocoon

• Start Topic

I came for Pray Tell, and I stayed for Silicone Lady.

I still buy W&W lip gloss. For decades their #666 (I may have the number wrong) was the YLBB (your lips but better) beloved on makeup message boards everywhere.

I understand the reasons, but I'm a bit put off by all of the historical lecturing that gets jammed into the dialogue, especially Blanca's. And her constant mom-of-teenagers exasperation is wearing thin. Can we see her having fun?

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I've spotted Madonna's former Vogue dancer Jose Gutierrez as a ball judge on this show.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I came for Pray Tell, and I stayed for Silicone Lady.

I still buy W&W lip gloss. For decades their #666 (I may have the number wrong) was the YLBB (your lips but better) beloved on makeup message boards everywhere.

I understand the reasons, but I'm a bit put off by all of the historical lecturing that gets jammed into the dialogue, especially Blanca's. And her constant mom-of-teenagers exasperation is wearing thin. Can we see her having fun?

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I've spotted Madonna's former Vogue dancer Jose Gutierrez as a ball judge on this show.

Yes, Wet n' Wild lip pencil in #666 was the lip pencil for the mid to late 90s.  I will say that while the price point for the company has always been cheap, the quality has been there for decades.  They skip on the packaging and not the product.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 6/27/2019 at 4:22 AM, ClareWalks said:

Yes, she is transgender, and a tight tuck is undetectable from most angles.

Wow, I am impressed. So I gather transexual means post operation?  Transgender is without an operation? I love that in 2019 we (the public) are being taught the differences and encouraged to accept all. It's showing progress, regardless how slow.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, Chalby said:

Wow, I am impressed. So I gather transexual means post operation?  Transgender is without an operation? I love that in 2019 we (the public) are being taught the differences and encouraged to accept all. It's showing progress, regardless how slow.

The most widely accepted term nowadays is "trans," which is short for "transgender," which refers to someone who doesn't identify as the gender they were assigned at birth.

The term "transsexual" is fairly outdated, and is nowadays considered offensive by many (but not all) trans people. Back when it was in common usage, it was sometimes used to refer to a transgender person who'd had some sort of surgery to transition. But other times it was used the same way people use "transgender" nowadays.

(For example, Angel refers to herself as "transsexual," but we have no reason to think she's had any kind of surgery to transition.)

Edited by Blakeston
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 6/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, Pristine said:

Maybe it's just me, but I saw Paul's death coming from a mile away.  The whole time Elektra was killing time, filing her nails, etc... I was cringing.

Great episode!

To be fair, there isn't much one can't see coming from a mile away on this show... 

Big thanks to TrininisaScorp for the Spotify recommendation!

The acting has improved somewhat since last year. Elektra must have taken some acting lessons. She's still... not great... but she's dialed the over-acting down a little, especially when she was talking to Blanca about Popper Paul and telling her she didn't want her to be involved/become an accessory after the fact.

I agree with everybody else... the harsh reality is, calling the police wouldn't have ended well for Elektra. 

It looks like Sister Peg isn't coming back. I guess Damon's dance school storyline is pretty much over?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 12:42 AM, Chalby said:

I agree 1000x.  I think shows like this are helpful and maybe part of the reason they chose a cast who could mostly "pass." They also had a transsexual character on designated survivor.

Some people get upset, but I can not see the problem in humanizing and normalizing people who are human.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Some people get upset, but I can not see the problem in humanizing and normalizing people who are human.  

While there are certainly homophobic people out there, I do think that a lot of people, including myself, are ignorant when it comes to using the appropriate terms--e.g., as was discussed above, transsexual vs. transgender.   I'm old enough to remember when "queer" was a slur, now it's used as just another identifier.  I don't know if it makes a difference if a person is referred to as "queer" or as "a queer," but I suspect the latter term is regarded as a slur.  I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I'd just prefer to call the person by their name. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, goldil said:

It looks like Sister Peg isn't coming back. I guess Damon's dance school storyline is pretty much over?

He's been ditched for St. Angel.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:08 AM, pasdetrois said:

Quietly clocks your Makeup Alley participation.

• Love 5
On 6/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, Empress1 said:

It's cheap but it's everywhere. Every drugstore in the country sold Wet N' Wild in 1990. It's great exposure. Angel was right to stay - when she started to leave I thought, girl, this is your shot! (I actually didn't love the picture they chose, but hey.)

Angel looks fantastic in photos when she can wear her hair the way she wears it when not at a photo shoot. 

The photo they chose did not highlight her special beauty. 

• Love 1

This episode was relatively well written. 

I liked that Angel didn't win the contest. An easy ticket to success would have been too simple. But hopefully she can find a way to work at her dream. 

The Papi/Angel romance was a little sudden. A kiss and suddenly he's like it was love at first sight? But they're so cute, I can forgive it.

Elektra looked KILLER in her dungeon mistress outfit this week. WANT. Where do I buy it? The old school curls are a much better look than the tight pony. 

Candy was HILARIOUS when they went to her strip club. I loved the whole caper. Was it a little lighthearted for this show? Yes. But it reminded me of all the best movies of women doing crimes and taking revenge and being in covens. 

Candy's bright 80's makeup was fabulous.

I was happy to see Angel get that makeup campaign but the storyline was contrived. I get that modern cell phones didn't exist. But phones did. And beepers. Angel could have found a way to take a break and let Papi know she had to reschedule. 

Angel's tee with the exaggerated makeup face was super cute. WANT.

WTF? Who plans to keep a decaying body for the rest of their lives? After it's decomposed enough, surely she could dump out the contents somewhere?

• Love 2

Angel is so drop dead gorgeous! When she didn’t win that Ford contest, I kept thinking “aren’t they going to get her gigs and, if not, there are other agencies.” But “Wet and Wild”? That is the cheap makeup (and, yes, I’ve bought it!). Well, it’s a start.

As soon as I heard that I assumed it was because Wet n' Wild had some deal. Either they're going to release makeup inspired by Pose or they were just totally open to the show using their logo and whatever else in the display. I agree that Wet n' Wild is ubiquitous but it was the fact Angel dropped that line about them having the best eyeliner that made me suspicious that the brand had given approval.

It was one of those things like the mentions of Anna Wintour or Isaac Mizrahi. They don't feel organic to the time period. Whose favorite designer is Isaac Mizrahi??? 

A+ for this week's music! My Prerogative, Black Cat, Nasty Girl - so much good stuff!

Yes! I'm embarrassed to say I know that the Cher Lloyd version of the Neneh Cherry song and not the original.

Couldn’t you just call the restaurant and leave a message for the person?

Amazing point. It was supposed to be a fancy restaurant too so I imagine they were in the phonebook. Someone at the photo shoot could have figured it out. 

It just seems like the world's worst way to dispense with a dead body.  Not to mention creepy as hell.

Haha, yes. Based on my days of watching procedurals like Bones, this seems like one of the worst options they could have picked.

Angel appears to be based on Venus Xtravaganza, from the documentary Paris is Burning. She was a very pretty trans prostitute, who gave almost word-for-word the same speech about wanting a man to take care of her that Angel gave in the pilot.

My sense of things is that the show is very heavily influenced by Paris is Burning but it's not a one-to-one comparison. That is, characters are composites and details about real people's lives can be assigned to characters at random based on what the writers thinks fits best.

• Love 1