Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: Week 7: Latvia

• Start Topic

Hannah started out the season, or, I'm sorry, her JOURNEY, remember,  the previews or first episode, saying she wanted a man who would grab hold of her and say "that's my woman!"   But, when Luke tries to be that guy, she turns it around and says "You're not in charge of me."   Maybe Luke is the kind of guy she always thought she wanted.  But now that she's meeting other types of guys, she's re-thinking what she wants.  she hasn't dated a lot, and maybe she's just too inexperienced to be using a show like this to choose a husband.  

Her best bet would be to choose Luke - not to marry, not to be engaged to,  just to date, fuck, fight with, break up with, make up, rinse and repeat.  And THEN call one of the other guys and see who is available to have a relationship with. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Hannah started out the season, or, I'm sorry, her JOURNEY, remember,  the previews or first episode, saying she wanted a man who would grab hold of her and say "that's my woman!"   But, when Luke tries to be that guy, she turns it around and says "You're not in charge of me."   Maybe Luke is the kind of guy she always thought she wanted.  But now that she's meeting other types of guys, she's re-thinking what she wants.  she hasn't dated a lot, and maybe she's just too inexperienced to be using a show like this to choose a husband.  

Her best bet would be to choose Luke - not to marry, not to be engaged to,  just to date, fuck, fight with, break up with, make up, rinse and repeat.  And THEN call one of the other guys and see who is available to have a relationship with. 

I don't think she's mature enough to even date.  What she needs to do is grow up.  She is not ready for any relationship much less marriage.  She looks like she's 30, but acts like she's 16; that's a pretty bad combination to have at 24 (worst of both worlds). She doesn't have any self-respect; if she did then she would've sent Luke home ages ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I've seen so many references here to the South, and Alabama in particular, when it comes to Hannah's ways. I'm a native New Yorker who has been to the South many times, but only on vacation.  What in particular about Alabama would make Hannah's independence so unique? I genuinely do not like her, but not because she's a Southern girl. I know here in NYC there are so many, many cultures that there isn't ever just one mindset. We have many sincere Christians and Jewish people so it can't just be a religious thing. Is there still some kind of Southern Belle    Influence? Is it pageant culture? I thought that was more of a stereotype. 

Thank you for this comment. I am really tired of the stereotypes of the South that are mentioned on this board. I have lived in Georgia for almost 25 years. Prior to that, I lived in Missouri, Texas, and New Mexico.

Not all Southern women are alike and not all are pageant women. A lot of them are incredibly intelligent, independent and successful, just like other regions in the country. I haven’t lived in the Northeast but maybe I could describe all of those in the Northeast as loud, far left liberals, but that would be wrong and inaccurate. Likewise, I don’t assume all California residents are nut eating hippies. These too are stereotypes.

The recent decisions made but some legislators in states across the US do not necessarily reflect the residents of those states as a whole.

• Love 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Thank you for this comment. I am really tired of the stereotypes of the South that are mentioned on this board. I have lived in Georgia for almost 25 years. Prior to that, I lived in Missouri, Texas, and New Mexico.

Not all Southern women are alike and not all are pageant women. A lot of them are incredibly intelligent, independent and successful, just like other regions in the country. I haven’t lived in the Northeast but maybe I could describe all of those in the Northeast as loud, far left liberals, but that would be wrong and inaccurate. Likewise, I don’t assume all California residents are nut eating hippies. These too are stereotypes.

The recent decisions made but some legislators in states across the US do not necessarily reflect the residents of those states as a whole.

I think the production is perpetuating a Southern stereotype by having the most stereotypical contestant.   The small town girl with the strong Southern drawl is what some people expect from Alabama.  There are a lot of stereotypes that are probably based on TV and movies. 

There are women in Alabama who are rocket scientists.  That would actually be interesting to see on this show.

There are a lot of women in the South who are doctors, lawyers, business owners, etc.  Hell, maybe Hannah even has ambitions beyond evening gowns, but you wouldn't know it watching this show. I think it is just easier to go with the beauty queen thing because it is simple and gives good visuals.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5

nut eating hippies

Does this mean "nutty" hippies or hippies that actually consume only (or primarily) nuts? 

Bottom line, I think Hannah is obsessed with portraying the small town Southern girl stereotype, but I think she's suddenly torn because she also wants to be the stereotypical "I'm beautiful, but also strong and independent" type. It's not that these things can't co-exist, it's that Hannah hasn't figured out how to do it yet. She's still playing "dress-up," as many people in their early to mid-20's do, to try to figure out what combination of the traits she finds attractive are really her. There are still so many of her actions that I watch and I can just see her thinking, "I look adorable when I do this, don't I?"

When I was in my 20's (so about 10-15 years ago), I remember reading an entire article in Cosmo about how to watch football with your "man" and his friends. It was the most offensive thing I had ever read. It instructed women to "cheer or boo, but not too loudly or vigorously." "Buy team gear, of course they are often available in pink!" "Make delicious snacks for all the men folk." Etc., etc. 

Never in that article did they assume that a woman might enjoy watching football, or encourage women to follow their own interests, rather than pretending to enjoy what their boyfriend likes. 

I feel like Hannah lives her life this way right now, but maybe she's starting to come out of it a little bit. Does she actually like football, or does she think it's cute for a "girl" to like football? Does she even know? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

There are women in Alabama who are rocket scientists.  That would actually be interesting to see on this show.

There are a lot of women in the South who are doctors, lawyers, business owners, etc.  Hell, maybe Hannah even has ambitions beyond evening gowns, but you wouldn't know it watching this show. I think it is just easier to go with the beauty queen thing because it is simple and gives good visuals.

Most of those women wouldn't be caught dead on this show.  Plus, they'd be too old.  Late 20's to early 30's.   Rachel & Andi were young professionals, but were at the beginning of their careers and between jobs, thus having a year+ to devote to this ridiculousness. 

Usually the younger you are, the more likely you are still in school, have no job, have a flexible job, have a made-up job, or can just afford to quit whatever you're doing.  

• Love 1

Didn’t JoJo have a short guy with the same seeming issue of feeling the need to overcompenste?

to me, Hannah acts like a sorority girl; drinking, making out with lots of guys, all while wanting to meet “the one,” so obsessed with it, they can’t tell good guys from bad. 

I’m a southern transplant, grew up in Southern California and , Cincinnati. Live in Alabama now.  Trust me, the view that southern men want virginal women is not true. At least in North Alabama.  The men are pretty open minded about their women.  And southern women suffer from the same affliction women every where do: party hard, get married and have kids and all of a sudden forget that former life and tell their kids they never did any of that stuff (like Marty’s mom in Back to the Future).

trust me, Hannah LOVES football. Growing up in Alabama, especially Tuscaloosa, there isn’t really any option. It’s super annoying. The first thing (almost) someone from Alabama is gonna ask someone new is who they root for-and beware if it’s not Alabama or Auburn.

i for one am glad they are resetting the age downward.  To me, Rachel and her men were creeping into the too old category.  Because I’m weird, my first thought is almost always “they better hurry up if they want to have multiple kids.”  

• Love 5

I think some women are ready for marriage very young, even if they haven’t dated much. However, I’d prefer seeing older contestants just because they do tend to be more serious about finding the one. Unfortunately the number of hot single people does go down the higher the age is. They exist, just not near the number of those in their early to mid 20’s. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Riplet68 said:

Didn’t JoJo have a short guy with the same seeming issue of feeling the need to overcompenste?

That was Alex, the tiny tattooed twin Marine.  He kept trying to go head-to-head with Big Bad Chad.  It didn't happen. He was ridiculous. 

• Love 6
On 6/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and I still don't think it's gaslighting unless the victim is believing it.  In the movies the man was always a distinguished older gentleman and the wife very sheltered and naive, so she tended to believe everything he said.  Hannah calls Luke on all his double talk, and he usually looks bewildered because he doesn't realize he's doing it.  He believes his own lies and needs a trusted friend to check him every time until he sees it for himself and breaks the habit.. I'm guessing he was a very spoiled little boy.  Luke will never be smart enough to gaslight anyone.  

As for the producers setting up the dates, they do, but I've always heard the star has the right to veto.  When Hannah and Garrett got to the bungee spot, she said she knew it was going to be jumping but not the nude part.  Then when they stepped out on the platform she said they had decided to do the jump naked but knew they didn't have to.  I think she was told to mention that just so the show wouldn't get in trouble.  As Hannah will tell you she's a "grown ass woman," and she knows she doesn't have to jump "butt ass naked" if she chooses not to.

Oh my frick, you’re so frickin’ right. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay I know it´s not popular or nice to say the stuff I´m about to, but, I don´t think Hannah is remotely attractive. The men are all so far out of her league and it´s annoying. She always has a red nose, either from crying or having a cold, and it´s impossible to tell if she´s just under the weather or crying (since she´s always crying). There is a wetness to her, like she´s glistening for all the wrong reasons.
She´s by far the worst bachelorette there has ever been, both in personality and looks. There´s nothing cute about her. I thought this season would be fun and different, because she´s such an unusual lead, but it´s not. Just boring and weird, seeing the men talk about how amazing she is and beautiful when she is a whiny, (ugly) dramaqueen 😕 Oh and this is the best group of men that a b´ette has had in a long time. Such a waste. The casting is a fail, she should have been set up with a bunch of dramatic nutters, not this group where every guy (almost) is more charming, cuter and nicer than the last.
I´m really hoping for Luke to win because he´s the only one I want her to end up with. But she has treated him badly too, always yelling at him and telling him to be different. I don´t like the way he talks like he´s ready to take all her punches and be her slave, no matter what.

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 7

^ I think this Hannah is an attractive woman. Her personality takes away from it for me, but maybe the producers liked that she’s so emotional and confrontational. I did think there were a number of beautiful women on Colton’s season though. Caelynn, the other Hannah, Nina, who we hardly got to see, and others I can’t remember the names of. I think Nina would have been great not only because of her looks, but she was one of the older women. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, halkatla said:

Okay I know it´s not popular or nice to say the stuff I´m about to, but, I don´t think Hannah is remotely attractive. The men are all so far out of her league and it´s annoying. She always has a red nose, either from crying or having a cold, and it´s impossible to tell if she´s just under the weather or crying (since she´s always crying). There is a wetness to her, like she´s glistening for all the wrong reasons.
She´s by far the worst bachelorette there has ever been, both in personality and looks. There´s nothing cute about her. I thought this season would be fun and different, because she´s such an unusual lead, but it´s not. Just boring and weird, seeing the men talk about how amazing she is and beautiful when she is a whiny, (ugly) dramaqueen 😕 Oh and this is the best group of men that a b´ette has had in a long time. Such a waste. The casting is a fail, she should have been set up with a bunch of dramatic nutters, not this group where every guy (almost) is more charming, cuter and nicer than the last.
I´m really hoping for Luke to win because he´s the only one I want her to end up with. But she has treated him badly too, always yelling at him and telling him to be different. I don´t like the way he talks like he´s ready to take all her punches and be her slave, no matter what.

I wish I could "like" this a thousand times, especially the part about the sweaty (I call it greasy) face.  

Looks aside, I could tolerate her if she had a pleasant personality, but all I see is 24/7 "beauty" queen who thinks the men should bow and kiss her feet and it is not pleasant to watch.  I've only watched a couple episodes and just come here to read the recaps.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, halkatla said:

I guess I don't get this.  Basically the look on Luke's face seems to me to be "oh, I said something but for some reason she doesn't know that I am completely correct so I am going to look like I am listening and am sad."  But he is always sure that she misunderstood what he said even when it is exactly what is on tape.  He expects her to listen to him but knows that she gets to choose as long as the show is going on.  After that....

• Love 5
On 6/24/2019 at 8:49 PM, jackjill89 said:

Hannah needs to listen to the Maya Angelou quote "when someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them" whenever this guy speaks. What he said at the group date was exactly what he meant. The stuff later -- all backpedaling. 

Exactly. And if he is already gaslighting and manipulating her at this stage of the “relationship,” that is a very bad sign. It will not get better, only worse. She did a good job of calling him out on his behavior, but then she kept him. I think it’s producer shenanigans. He’ll be around for a little more drama but won’t make it to the top three.

It was strange hearing her talk about how super hot the chemistry was with the cute but dorky pilot guy, because I did not see it at all. It seemed forced to me. Or maybe I just don’t think he’s hot and I’m projecting my opinion onto Hannah? In any case, Tyler is the only one I find sexy. I am glad I missed the short pants scene at the end. 

Hannah seems to be having fun with the guys, but I find her boring as the Bachelorette. Either her mind isn’t that sharp or she’s getting a lukewarm edit. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, call me ishmael said:

I guess I don't get this.  Basically the look on Luke's face seems to me to be "oh, I said something but for some reason she doesn't know that I am completely correct so I am going to look like I am listening and am sad."  But he is always sure that she misunderstood what he said even when it is exactly what is on tape.  He expects her to listen to him but knows that she gets to choose as long as the show is going on.  After that....

I think the OP sees Hannah doing the same things Luke does, as do I. So it would make better sense for them to end up together so they can both act like immature brats and make demands at each other, try to change each other, until they eventually have a messy divorce we can all enjoy. I wouldn’t wish Hannah on any of the normal guys. I kind of see why the other pageant girl had issues with Hannah. She thinks she deserves everything her way without any give. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, RealHousewife said:

^ I think this Hannah is an attractive woman. Her personality takes away from it for me, but maybe the producers liked that she’s so emotional and confrontational. 

Agreed. 

Sometimes she looks stunning to me, like the women tell all during Colton's season.  hair was bone straight and she was wearing a sexy, low cut black dress.  That look was a, YES!  I don't think she's worn her hair bone straight all season.  

I thought she was more attractive in the beginning of the season than I do now.  But, as you said, I believe it's because I've seen more of her personality.  

She does look much older than her age to me, though.  She makes Peter look like a teen.  She looks older than Luke and Tyler, too.  IMO

• Love 4

I know a week has passed, but I was on vacation and I just watched week 7 last night. 2 thoughts....the best part was the outtakes at the end. Tyler cracks me up. Also, she went from having a hot and heavy makeout session with Peter, and not too long after, having another with Jed. That was just too UCK for me. 

• Love 7

I just watched this, having been out of the country (but not in Latvia). 

This staying in your own lane thing is just driving me nuts! That conversation just before the rose ceremony - looking at someone in the next lane, hey--that's how crashes happen, etc., etc., then Luke in the middle of it all suddenly says, "Don't text and drive." I just laughed and laughed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 PM, nutty1 said:

I’m on vacation and in the car. I am enjoying your commentary more than I’d probably be enjoying the show!

So they didn’t edit Jed any worse?

I hope you stayed in your lane.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I thought Luke was just socially awkward but he's an abuser imo

I think If this was Paradise and these guys had other women to choose from, only Luke would be interested in Hannah. She just doesn't have an appealing personality. She wants to control her suitors. The guys only want to win because it's a competition or becaise she's their only option. Jed doesn't seem into her. To me, he seems fake and only there to promote his lame ass music. Garrett is just strange and doesn't seem to have a connection with her. 

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, kira28 said:

I thought Luke was just socially awkward but he's an abuser imo

I think If this was Paradise and these guys had other women to choose from, only Luke would be interested in Hannah. She just doesn't have an appealing personality. She wants to control her suitors. The guys only want to win because it's a competition or becaise she's their only option. Jed doesn't seem into her. To me, he seems fake and only there to promote his lame ass music. Garrett is just strange and doesn't seem to have a connection with her. 

I agree. Hannah is pretty, but pretty only goes so far, especially on Paradise where there are other pretty women who won’t all be full of tears, lectures, and double standards.

ETA: I don’t think Hannah is a mean spirited woman. I think maybe with a little growing up, she has the potential to be a catch as she’s got the pretty face, is in amazing shape, and I do think she’s a good girl at heart. For right now though, if I were any of the guys, I wouldn’t propose to her. She’s not ready, not that I blame her, being that she’s only 24.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2

I have not been watching this season, but I had to drop in on this episode because my mother was born in Latvia and emigrated here after the war. I've never been there. But I saw those guys lined up for the trademark "Hannahhhhhhh!!!!" and I thought "Those guys all look exactly alike!" Is the poofed up hair now a requirement for (at least the white) bachelor guys?

I don't watch this show but I listen to the Bachelor Party podcast. Because I'm not that invested, it's easy to listen to while I'm doing something else. 

Anyway, they played a clip of Jed's Riga song. I thought it was just poor audio but I just checked out the episode on hulu. NOPE. He is a SHOCKINGLY bad singer for someone whose ambition is to be a professional singer. It was like he was doing an impression of Michael McDonald... if he was tone deaf and had absolutely no resonance or depth in his voice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2