Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Vendetta

• Start Topic

As Oliver and Helena grow closer, Oliver trains her to be his ally, complete with showing her how to use a crossbow. Diggle disapproves of Oliver sharing his secret with Helena as he’s not sure she can be trusted, but Oliver refuses to listen to his concerns. Helena’s quest for revenge proves to be too strong for Oliver to handle after she kills the head of the Triad and all hell breaks loose.

(edited)

" She's lost, Diggle,  whether she knows it or not, I can save her."  In this episode, Oliver tries to save Starling City, one crazy person at a time.  On re-watch I was surprised to see how much it's Oliver chasing Helena rather than something mutual.

Oliver:  Before the island I wasn't a good person.... you're on an island too Helena. 
Helena:  I can't be hurt again.
Oliver:  I'll never hurt you, I promise.

It feels like Romeo and Juliet on crack.  Helena is definitely unstable if having dinner with his old girlfriend on their third date gets her hurt.  And she calls Laurel 'the love of [his] life.'  Because she really thinks so, or because she can't move on from her fiance?  Either way, shut up, Helena.

Oh Diggle, how I love you.  Between the wisdom and the snark, he was definitely the MVP in this episode:

Oliver:  Diggle is my .... associate
Helena: Well any associate of Oliver....
Diggle:  Is absolutely nothing to you.  Ma'am.

Diggle:She know's my name. That's lovely

Oliver:  You can trust her.

Diggle:  'Cept I don't.  Sleeping with this girl, Oliver?

Oliver:  Oh I don't think that's any of your business, Diggle.

Diggle:  It became my business when you brought me into this.  And when I signed on , I told you I was going to keep your head straight. But Oliver you're lonely, lonelier than you like to admit.  And that's why you think you can change this girl because you need to think you can.  You're like a dope fiend who thinks he can deal with his own addiction  by making another addict go straight. Oliver what you do is dangerous and getting confused about who's good and who's bad is a good way to get yourself dead.

Oliver:  Are you done?
Diggle:  Yeah, I'm done. With this.  Everything else, I don't know.  I don't know, Oliver, you tell me.

Later Helena threatens to expose who they are.  You called it, Diggle.  Oliver finally gets it "I looked into her eyes tonight and I can't stop her from going over the edge, she's already over."  Here's the rule of thumb about women, Oliver -- Trust Diggle.

Meanwhile, Walter is having troubles of his own.  "I haven't changed Walter, I'm still the woman you met and fell in love with."  I love Moira, and how Susanna Thompson plays her. She is so many shades of grey.

Walter and Thea are so good together.  I think Thea needed him even more than Moira did.

Poor Felicity, as Walter jumps down her throat.  It's a hard position for Felicity, and a hard one for Walter too as he realizes that he still can't trust Moira.  

"I hate mysteries. They bug me... they need to be solved."  Go, Felicity, even though she's just been scared she's being fired.  I'd forgotten that in these early episodes, Felicity is involved in Walter's storyline a lot more than she is in Oliver's.

Tommy and Laurel are cute, except she's trying to push him too hard.  She really needs a man who is okay with her pushing him around.  And then she switches into bitchy mode:  "If they don't seat us soon, I am going to write a  horrible review on line."..."I'm sure I'm hungry."  Who does that?

And then, laying into Tommy, she doesn't get it:  "You didn't ask him?"...."Tommy why are you so upset?.. You were supposed to talk to him"
No, you were trying to get Oliver to help.  It's typical Laurel, always running to her to your white knight.  It's Oliver and Laurel, it always has been, that's not going to change...am I supposed to be reminded that I can't give you what he could."  So it's not just me who sees Laurel as a gold-digger?

And of course it's Tommy who is the one who apologizes and tell Laurel she's a million times too good for him even before he was broke.  Laurel is totally stunned to find Oliver with someone else.  But then she tells Tommy "Oliver and I are over"... what, am I supposed to like her now?.At least Laurel apologised for pushing him too hard and it was kind of sweet.  But I'm getting whiplash from her jumping back and forth.

Tommy ends on a high note when Oliver offers to share his trust fund "No, that's the easy answer....what I want is a job."

Is it just me? Because I was given oxycodon when I hurt myself, and I couldn't get off it fast enough..

And Diggle being a big brother to Oliver again: I don't think love is about changing or saving a person, I think it's about finding the person who's the right fit......you opened up, took a risk with your heart . The Oliver I met a few months ago wouldn't have been able to do that. And when you meet the right person, you'll be ready for her.

Cut to Felicity entering Walter's office.  Even the film editor ships Olicity.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

Before I started this episode I looked at the cut scenes from the previous episode, which had a lovely little sideplot of the Hood working with Quentin's partner.

Talk about a missed opportunity.

Anyway, moving on.  This episode was blocked, storyboarded and written after "Lone Gunman," (aka Felicity's first onscreen appearance) aired, and written before but edited after "Damaged," (aka Laurel kisses Oliver and then bolts from the room, a scene that came in for criticism for various reasons) was aired.  The episode was also written and filmed before any discussion of a Birds of Prey spinoff had popped up.

An episode with the theme of change, change, grow up a bit, change, change, mobsters versus the Chinese triad, change. And:

1. To cement the doomed, Romeo and Juliet major romance theme Statsgirl just talked about, Oliver and Helena get a morning after scene.  

For what's it's worth this remains Oliver's only morning after scene through two seasons - he leaves McKenna and Laurel in the middle of the night, barely even saying goodbye to either, although McKenna later gets a very nice "I'm willing to abandon everything for you" speech in the hospital later and Laurel gets...a scene that I shall complain about; Isabel's "after" scene focuses on Oliver and Felicity, not Isabel; and the Sara/Oliver morning after scene apparently consisted of them watching the Olympics

.  Admittedly, said morning after scene is Helena leaving Oliver behind without waking him up (I thought you told Laurel that you didn't sleep, Oliver?) but still, for a two episode guest star relationship, this is quite a bit of focus.

2. I do like the way Helena pushes Oliver on his hypocrisy.

It's also an interesting parallel to the way Felicity later jumps on Oliver for getting all "HA HA YOU LIED" on Barry. 

3. You know, give Oliver's reputation as a ladies' man, it says something that this is only episode 8 and already two women have told Oliver, "Yeah, thanks, but no."

4. I love the way this show so generously combines monologues and deep discussions about insane assassins with shirtless workouts and moments on the salmon ladder. Never argue that the show doesn't at least somewhat know its audience. 

5. I'd honestly forgotten just how much effort Oliver put into making Helena the Huntress. Her own little crossbow and personalized purple leather thing. Awwwww.

6. And as long as I'm being honest here, my biggest suspension of disbelief in this entire episode? That the best place a billionaire could find to hide her Secret Conspiracy Stuff was in an antique grandfather clock. I mean, what if Walter had decided to have the clock fixed for a birthday present or something, or if a maid had decided to clean it? 

And I get that they are all about using the subway map as a Nice Symbol, but still, putting a subway map on a jewelry box? How obvious IS this conspiracy and why on earth wasn't it taken down before this? Though I get that the writers may or may not have decided what the symbol was yet.

7. Oh, that dinner. Poor Helena. Poor Tommy.

8. Oliver's people reading skills failure number eleventy-eight:

Oliver: Helena's mentally stable!

One dinner later.

Oliver: HELENA'S IN AN ABYSS.

Oh, Oliver.

9. "When you meet her, you'll be ready for her." And cut to Felicity. HMM, show. HMM.

10. Speaking of Felicity, between the kangaroos, the Christmas suicides, and the needing to be dark while they "did this," she was on fire this episode. Diggle gets a very close runner-up with his "Is absolutely nothing to you, Ma'am," line.

And now, Laurel!

To make up for the previous episode, WOW is there a lot this episode.

To give her all due credit before I go ballistic, she does give Tommy an actual, ego-saving reason why he could work at Oliver's club.  She also has a nice moment of at least saying that she never cared about the money and billionaire was Tommy's least attractive quality (so, er, why have you dated not one, but two billionaires, Laurel? Those of us who really don't care about the money date broke guitar players in college and afterwards, not billionaires. Also, you seemed to like the way Oliver's money got you to a table.) 

That ends this episode's list of Good Things About Laurel. And now, everything else:

1. Number of times Laurel fails as a human being, twelve: 1, not responding to her broke boyfriend's expensive dinner plans with a tactful, "You know, Tommy, I'd really prefer a burger," and instead guilt tripping him not just about his restaurant choices but his job status and telling him to contact her ex for a job. Seriously. I realize the ex is also a friend of Tommy's, but still. 2. After this lovely moment, going to the restaurant anyway even though she knows Tommy can't afford it. 3. Complaining about having to wait for a table. Hi, Laurel. This is the Real World. Please Meet It. I've had to wait for Applebee's. 4. Immediately being mildly rude to Helena, who whatever her failings, doesn't deserve this from Laurel. (Diggle, sure, but Diggle knows what Helena is doing.) 5. Getting mad that Oliver/Helena are getting a table ahead of her even though, Laurel, for all you know, they were also waiting, just outside. (Ok, yes, it's really Oliver's money, but, still). And making a snippy comment right in front of Oliver and Helena.  Yes, I've seen that from customers who have seen complete strangers seemingly jump ahead in line, but still.  No wonder Helena feels the immediate need to be nice. 6. Ignoring the protests of her own boyfriend and her ex's obvious discomfort and deciding to jump into the dinner just because she's hungry. Have a peanut. 7. Asking Tommy, "You didn't ask him?" right there at the table, instead of waiting until after the dinner, Laurel, making the other three people deeply uncomfortable and once again putting her own needs/curiosity/anger over the feelings/comfort of others; 8, Pushing the issue of the job, even though Oliver clearly doesn't know about it and now both Helena and Tommy look awkward and tense. And - although Oliver's a bit of a jerk here too - part of his response is because he wasn't asked, so how was he supposed to take this seriously, Laurel?  Leading to, 9, Making Tommy feel like a failure; 10, Following this up with the Aspen story, making poor Helena even more uncomfortable; 11, making me feel sorry for and empathize with the deranged sociopath killer; 12, not understanding that yes, your boyfriend may be a bit upset that you just embarrassed him at dinner in front of a friend and a more or less complete stranger AND you were the one to bring up a romantic trip you took with his friend in the past and looked all nostalgic about it.

Seriously, when the deranged sociopath killer has a better grasp of common courtesy, Laurel, we have a problem.

(I am honestly wondering how much impact this scene had on Sara's introduction and the proposed Birds of Prey spinoff, because honestly, after that dinner, it's hard to imagine Helena and Laurel working together.) 

2. Number of times Laurel fails as a lawyer, one: Laurel, seriously, is your office, which is so busy that just last week we saw you taking work home with you, really the best place to be lecturing your boyfriend about his life choices?  Focus on those files that you have in your hand.  (Ok, this one is petty and only because of set costs, so ignore me here.)

3. Number of people making a negative comment on the Laurel/Oliver relationship, four: 1. Oliver, reminding us that he slept with her sister, and later telling us that he doesn't love Laurel; 2, Helena, noting that Oliver and Laurel used to be together and Laurel is now dating his best friend; 3, Tommy, calling it prime for a reality TV show and bringing up that Laurel always looks to Oliver for rescue; 4, Laurel telling Tommy that she and Oliver are "over."

Helena's comment is later softened by her "I saw the way you look at her," and "that kind of love doesn't die."  And although Helena is not exactly Mentally All There she was arguably the most rational person at that dinner, so I'll give her words a little weight here. That said, she herself said that she can't handle being hurt again, and is therefore very wary and on the defensive.

And as it turns out this is going to be about the most positive statement we get from an outside character about Oliver and Laurel's relationship for the entire series. Ahem. 

Tommy's observation, though, is spot on. This episode went to fairly great lengths to show that while Oliver is more than happy to help and train his romantic interests, he is also looking for someone who can work with him, not just need rescuing. As Tommy points out, that's not what Laurel is looking for

(or what is going to be happening with her for most of the rest of the series so far, sigh.) 

On a meta level, this episode suggests that when Laurel and Oliver are together, they end up hurting other people. Helena was sorta on the road to recovery before the dinner; Tommy was obviously hurt, and before Laurel and Oliver got together the first time, Sara was alive.

Also, not an assassin

.  And, of course, Helena is already fighting next to Oliver, which Laurel has not yet done; Helena learned Oliver's secret before Laurel did. If she weren't totally psychotic and poised to run after a single lousy dinner, it'd be great!  (Usually, I'd describe the psychotic thing as a total relationship killer, but compared to the major Laurel/Oliver issues...hmm.)

I've theorized before that the writers either wrote Laurel and Oliver to be in trouble right from the beginning, or realized by at least episode two that this relationship was in severe trouble, and that by episode five, they were already casting about for a way to replace Laurel as a love interest for Oliver.  

It's entirely possible that had the show not decided to kill off Tommy, the show might have kept Laurel on as Tommy's girlfriend as Tommy went evil - and then had Laurel turn to Oliver, after Oliver was already with someone else - Helena, Felicity or whoever. But of course that didn't happen.

Granted, at least part of the screentime devoted to Helena this episode is less to set up an alternative love interest for Oliver and more because she is a major DC character. Still, the screentime devoted to the relationship is notable, especially given that McGouw came in only as a two episode guest star. 

In just two episodes, they spend more time discussing their relationship and issues than Oliver/Sara and Oliver/McKenna do over a longer period; the only two other relationships to get this much screen time are Laurel/Oliver and Felicity/Oliver. 

It's also notable that although I don't think Jessica McGouw is particularly good in this role, she's allowed more time to bond with and understand Oliver.

And then of course there's the cut to Felicity at an Appropriate Moment.

Future episodes will mirror this, with almost every one of Oliver's other romantic moments leading back to Felicity.

I don't know if the writers had decided at this point that Felicity could be an alternative. I do, however, think that the writers at this point had decided that they did have to start setting up credible alternatives for Laurel. Why they started with a psychotic, however well known in DC Comics, is just slightly less clear. 

Edited by quarks
  • Love 8
(edited)

quarks, your reviews are like a glass of cognac, no matter the quality of the meal (episode), I'm left with a warm happy feeling.  (Your thoughts on Laurel never fail to amuse.)

This episode went to fairly great lengths to show that while Oliver is more than happy to help and train his romantic interests, he is also looking for someone who can work with him, not just need rescuing.

Both times he left before a 'morning after' with McKenna and Laurel, it's because he's interrupted by a phone call from his work partner Felicity to go do Arrow things.

You know, give Oliver's reputation as a ladies' man, it says something that this is only episode 8 and already two women have told Oliver, "Yeah, thanks, but no."

One of the things I really like about this show is how much it loves having people call Oliver on his crap, whether it's the hypocrisy as Helena did here, or his delusions of saving people as Diggle did, or his self-flagellation 

as Diggle and Felicity did at the end of the season

although Helena is not exactly Mentally All There she was arguably the most rational person at that dinner,

That's a scary thought.  Tommy was pretty good too except when it came to Laurel and Oliver.

I like Helena as long as I think of her as 'a scary sociopath who will never be in a relationship with Oliver'.  (This show does sociopaths really well, 

just look at Malcolm Merlyn, Slade and Isabel.

I'm very glad they didn't push her as a serious love interest for Oliver because I can't see them being igood given how unstable she is.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
I'm very glad they didn't push her as a serious love interest for Oliver because I can't see them being igood given how unstable she is.

I'd really say

continue to push

, since these two episodes do show her as a viable if insane love interest. Helena is, after all, the first girl

in the current timeline and onscreen

to figure out Oliver's secret, which in comic book terms is huge.

We now know that Amanda Waller knew earlier, and presumably Sara figured things out before Helena did, but on the show, Helena is the first.

Oliver also helps her get her superhero costume/weapons, again huge in comic book terms. They get a long sex scene with Significant Music and Look, What Clever Editing, which is huge in action movie terms, and the episode ends with a promise that Helena will be back.  Sure, the issues are huge, but they are the sort that in theory can be solved by the end of the series, after Helena Turns Her Back On Killing and Becomes a Hero. And when the first episode of the two parter was storyboarded/written, the show didn't really have any other alternatives to Laurel, except very arguably Joanna (who had barely interacted with Oliver on screen, was not based on a major DC character, and who would have added a second best friend sleeping with the ex storyline) and even more arguably China White, listed here only as A Woman Not Related to Oliver Queen On the Screen.  Sure, in theory, something might have been set up between China White and Oliver Queen, but that's really, really stretching things.

By the time the episodes actually aired, though, two things were clear:

1. The Huntress is a fun character, but Jessica McGouw is kinda dead and lifeless in the role. I get that part of this is because part of Helena is supposed to be dead and lifeless, so it's not a completely wrong acting choice, but it's also not really compelling - and some of her line readings in these two episodes are just awful.  

She's much better in Birds of Prey in the second season, but by then, the show definitely had alternatives. 

2.  The show had an alternative.

Arguably, these two episodes also suggested that the show could just have a Flavor of the Week for Oliver, without hooking him up with any major romance or with one specific person. I suspect the writers discussed this,

but realized that alternative just left them stuck with Laurel/Oliver

• Love 1

• And now we have our second masked vigilante of the series! As I mentioned in my last commentary, I haven’t read the green arrow comics. What’s Helena’s code name? I’m assuming she’s a comic character based on the fact she was given a costume. 

• I like Laurel so far, but ugh at her behaviour during the double date. It was up to Tommy if he wanted to approach Oliver. It wasn’t her place bleh. Although good for her for at least apologising later and not just accepting Tommy’s comment.

• Ugh at the Felicity joke about suicide. It’s not cute or endearing to make light of such a sensitive subject writers. Bad choice on their part unless the aim is to try and make me dislike the character.  

• So @BkWurm1 was right about it likely being the heat of the fire that made the words appear than spiritual intervention. Not that I doubted the word of an expert watcher haha.

Edited by Wayward Son
20 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

• And now we have our second masked vigilante of the series! As I mentioned in my last commentary, I haven’t read the green arrow comics. What’s Helena’s code name? I’m assuming she’s a comic character based on the fact she was given a costume. 

Helena's called The Huntress. I don't remember if they called her that in the first season. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

• Ugh at the Felicity joke about suicide. It’s not cute or endearing to make light of such a sensitive subject writers. Bad choice on their part unless the aim is to try and make me dislike the character.  

What suicide joke?

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

? Pretty sure that's not what she meant.  Nothing to do with suicide. It was her being awkward and making a joke that she thought Walter was going to fire her. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

? Pretty sure that's not what she meant.  Nothing to do with suicide. It was her being awkward and making a joke that she thought Walter was going to fire her. 

Ohhh, that. Yeah, that wasn't about suicide that was about getting fired/axed.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Ohhh, that. Yeah, that wasn't about suicide that was about getting fired/axed.

I’ll have to rewatch the scene tomorrow, but I read it as some crass joke that was basically “I hope you’re not firing me cus you know lots of people commit suicide this time of year due to firings”. If the writer was going for quirky humour it was off the mark for this viewer at least. 

11 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I’ll have to rewatch the scene tomorrow, but I read it as some crass joke that was basically “I hope you’re not firing me cus you know lots of people commit suicide this time of year due to firings”. If the writer was going for quirky humour it was off the mark for this viewer at least. 

Felicity was making the joke about HERSELF being axed. Nothing to do with jokes about suicides that time of year. I've read a crap ton of opinions about Arrow, here, at TWOP, and AV Club and elsewhere and not once has anyone ever thought it was a joke about suicide. I think you're off base with that reading by a long shot.  The joke might not have worked for you but it was not about suicide.  Felicity is awkward, but she's not an asshole.

• Love 5

I just watched the scene. She is timid and scared when she walks in, I presume this scene follows the one where Walter threatened to suspend her if she looked into Tempest again.

Pretty sure Felicity isn't joking about people committing suicide. She's basically begging not to be fired (in a very awkward way).

• Love 3

I rewatched the scene and she’s states the following 

Did I mention it’s almost Christmas? Many of the suicide this time of year are due to sudden and unexpected jobliness”

So either

A) She’s making light of the topic of suicide. 

B) She is trying to guilt him into not firing her by raising the possibility of suicide being a result of firing someone. 

Either option is in pretty pair taste IMO. I dunno if the writers were going for quirky or what, but it just didn’t work for me at all. 

6 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I rewatched the scene and she’s states the following 

Did I mention it’s almost Christmas? Many of the suicide this time of year are due to sudden and unexpected jobliness”

So either

A) She’s making light of the topic of suicide. 

B) She is trying to guilt him into not firing her by raising the possibility of suicide being a result of firing someone. 

Either option is in pretty pair taste IMO. I dunno if the writers were going for quirky or what, but it just didn’t work for me at all. 

Or C) Felicity is babbling nervously and bringing in statistics about the topic that she is worried about happening to her, not as a manipulation, a joke or a threat, but as words just spilling out mishmash out of her control.  So you could say the writers were making a joke, but there's nothing about the character that ever hints at her finding the topic of suicide humorous or to be taken lightly.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Or C) Felicity is babbling nervously and bringing in statistics about the topic that she is worried about happening to her, not as a manipulation, a joke or a threat, but as words just spilling out mishmash out of her control.  So you could say the writers were making a joke, but there's nothing about the character that ever hints at her finding the topic of suicide humorous or to be taken lightly.  

This is the correct option.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

• Love 3
7 hours ago, jaye.elle said:

You might like the Arrow Reddit stream - they're definitely anti-Felicity and pro-Laurel. I know that I always enjoy sharing my opinions with similar thinking people - hence why I left Reddit far behind. Obviously up to you - just wanted to give you an option :). 

Definitely enjoying your reviews though - always great to see a fresh opinion on the show :)

Thanks for the recc :) . Although while I didn’t appreciate that particular line I’d say I haven’t actually watched enough that I’m super anti anybody at this point in time :). Each of the characters have been able to offer something I find interesting so far. 

108 (Vendetta) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. For five years I was stranded on an island with only one goal... survive. Now I will fulfill my father's dying wish... to use a list of names he left me, to bring down those who are poisoning my city. To do this, I must become someone else. I must become something else."

108 (Vendetta) - Oliver and Helena visit Sara Lance's grave, and Oliver tells Helena about what kind of man he used to be:
Helena: "Who was she?"
Oliver: "Somebody I knew a long time ago. I was dating her sister and it was getting serious. But back then, I did not do serious well. But I was excellent at screwing things up. I started sleeping with Sara. I started sleeping with my girlfriend's sister. I brought her on the yacht and she died. Right in front of me. And I hurt-- I hurt her family. I just didn't care. Before the island, I wasn't a good person. I was selfish and thoughtless and awful. And it affected, really affected people. People I love. Because, Helena, you're on an island too."
Helena: "Oliver, I want to let you in. But Michael was the last man I opened up to. I can't be hurt again."
Oliver: "I'll never hurt you. I promise."

108 (Vendetta) – We learn that Felicity doesn’t like kangaroos, and Walter cuts off her investigation into Moira’s fund diversion:
Felicity: “How was your trip to Australia? I've always wanted to go Down Under. It's just – I have this thing about kangaroos. More of a phobia. They wig me out. They look evil, and I'm sure their picture's up on like everything everywhere in that country.”
Walter: “You had something important to tell me, Ms. Smoak?”
Felicity: “Yes, I did. It's about Tempest. Your wife's mysterious LLC, the one she diverted company funds to.”
Walter: “I appreciate your diligence on this, but, uh, it was a simple misunderstanding between my wife and I. Everything's been resolved.”
Felicity: “No. See, it hasn't. There was something about the money transfer that felt hinky to me. The money your wife withdrew from the company, I wasn't the only one who tracked it. She was being shadowed by another entity, and whoever it is, they're good. NSA good. But, as you know, I'm good, too. So even though they left almost no trace of their presence in our system, I did manage to find one thing. Well, one image. (Shows printout of image to Walter) Does that symbol mean something to you, sir?”
Walter: “No. What means something to me is one of my employees prying into my wife's private business without authorization. And should it happen again, I'll have you suspended. Is that clear?”
Felicity: “Crystal.”

108 (Vendetta) – Tommy and Laurel have an argument after Tommy walks away from the restaurant table during a disastrous double date with Oliver and Helena:
Laurel: “Tommy, why are you so upset?”
Tommy: “Why did you say something about the job?”
Laurel: “You were supposed to talk to him.”
Tommy: “Well, I hadn't.”
Laurel: “Okay, I didn't realize. I was trying to help.”
Tommy: “You were trying to get Oliver to help. You know, it's typical Laurel, always running to her white knight. It's Oliver and Laurel. It always has been. That's not gonna change.”
Laurel: “Oliver and I are over.”
Tommy: “Oh really, because you seemed awfully bothered by his new girlfriend.”
Laurel: “What, am I supposed to like her?”
Tommy: “I do not wanna be Oliver's charity case. To every day be reminded that I can't give you everything he could. You know, losing a fortune, I think, is gonna be easier than losing you, so why don't we just stop now?”

108 (Vendetta) - Helena and Oliver have an argument after the disastrous but revealing double dinner date with Tommy and Laurel:
Oliver: "Hey. I'm sorry. How was I supposed to know it was gonna get so weird in there?"
Helena: "No, I'm sorry. Sorry I ever listened to you."
Oliver: "Helena."
Helena: "You know what I've been through. I told you I couldn't be hurt again."
Oliver: "I'm not trying to hurt you."
Helena: "So, making me have dinner with the love of your life is... what, Oliver? Laurel was the girl things were getting too serious with, the girl whose sister's grave you used to manipulate me. I saw the way you looked at her. That kind of love doesn't die. And you still love her."
Oliver: "I don't."
(Helena looks at him in disbelief and then turns to walk away."
Oliver (grabbing her arm): "Hey."
Helena: "Don't. Don't touch me. I am done talking." (Walks away)

108 (Vendetta) – Tommy and Laurel reconcile:
(Tommy knocks on the door to Laurel’s apartment, and she lets him in.)
Tommy: “I came to apologize. I know you were just trying to help. I guess I wasn’t ready to face reality. This is just so new, you and me, and I didn’t want you to see that I’m scared. I’m almost 30 years old and I’ve never been given an ounce of responsibility in my life. You – you are driven and intelligent. You’re a million times too good for me, even before I was broke. And now I have absolutely nothing to bring to whatever this is.”
Laurel: “I never cared about the money. And, truth be told, billionaire was your least attractive quality. I am so sorry if I pushed you too hard on the job with Oliver. I just – I thought you working for him was a good idea because he’s your friend, and it’s okay to ask a friend for help. You won’t lose your street cred.”
Tommy: “I am happy to lose my street cred. I just don’t want to lose you.”
Laurel: “Well, I’m not saying that it’s going to be easy. But I’m here for you if you need someone to lean on. That’s what people do when they’re together.”
Tommy: “Together like boyfriend-girlfriend?”
Laurel: “Do not ruin this moment. It was going so well for you.” (Chuckles)
(They kiss.)

108 (Vendetta) – Walter asks Felicity to investigate the notebook:
Felicity: “You wanted to see me, Mr. Steele? Did I mention, it's almost Christmas, and many of the suicides this time of year are due to sudden and unexpected joblessness?”
Walter: “I want you to find out all you can about that notebook. (Nodding to notebook on his desk) Where it was made, how it was purchased. And what it could mean.”
Felicity: “Yes, sir.” 
Walter: “Felicity I asked Josiah Hudson, our head of security, to look into the same subject matter. He died the next day under questionable circumstances. What I may be asking of you, this mystery, are you sure you want to do this?”
Felicity: “I hate mysteries. They bug me. They need to be solved.”

108 (Vendetta) – Diggle gives important advice to Oliver about his love life:
Oliver: “I don't know what hurts worse, this or getting shot with a curare-laced bullet.”
Diggle: “Been there, done that. Definitely the bullet.”
Oliver: “Heh.”
Diggle: “You know, Oliver, I'm no expert at this, but I don't think love is about changing or saving a person. I think it's about finding the person who's already the right fit. One day you will.”
Oliver: “I think I burned that particular bridge. Napalmed it, actually.”
Diggle: “So things didn't work out as you planned. You did save Frank Bertinelli's life. He'll be doing time for a while. Justice wins out.”
Oliver: “Helena doesn't see it that way.”
Diggle: “You opened up, took a risk with your heart. The Oliver I met a few months ago would not have been able to do that. And when you meet the right person, you'll be ready for her.”
(Cut to next scene where Felicity enters Walter’s office.)

108 (Vendetta) – Felicity makes an important discovery about the notebook:
(Felicity enters Walter’s office, where Walter is sitting at his desk, and turns off the light.)
Walter: "What are you doing?"
Felicity: "It needs to be dark in here for me to do this. If I had had more time to think of that sentence it wouldn't have sounded so dirty. Look. (Hands notebook to Walter.)"
Walter (flipping through pages): "I don't see anything."
Felicity: "I got these from applied sciences. (Hands over special glasses) They're able to pick up the sub-visible variations in the UV spectrum. Now look at the book again."
(Walter looks through notebook and now sees names written on its pages.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
jbuffyangel continues her #ArrowRewatch reviews...

There’s a fundamental difference between “we should work” versus “we do work”. The differences between who we are and who we want to be are vast. As are the distances between who we want to love and who we actually love. Arrow is a hero’s journey and no hero’s journey is complete without a great love. In “Vendetta” the writers explore who Oliver Queen’s great love is… or rather who she will be.
Deep dive on where L*uriver & Helena went wrong, which of course leads to where Olicity went right. Also, my child side eyeing things Oliver Queen says gives me life.

Edited by tv echo