Type keyword(s) to search

Awards and Nominations

The Americans was nominated for several Critics' Choice Awards but were shut out (kind of a bummer but I honestly can't complain about Tatiana Maslany winning). They were up for the following:

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series - Matthew Rhys

Best Actress in a Drama Series - Keri Russell

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Annet Mahendru

• Love 1

I CANNOT believe The Americans was overlooked in this morning's Emmy nominations. Same old, same old names/shows.

Matthew Rhys was totally robbed... His acting on this show has been amazing. Also, if I had a say, I would have nominated Margo Martindale as well. Although brief in the second season, she is riveting when on screen.

I hope next year is their year!!

• Love 1
I CANNOT believe The Americans was overlooked in this morning's Emmy nominations.

Me either. There must be something behind the scenes going on that has this show on everybody's shite list. The drama categories are extremely competitive now but I think there should have been some room for this show and its actors.

(edited)

I CANNOT believe The Americans was overlooked in this morning's Emmy nominations. Same old, same old names/shows.

Matthew Rhys was totally robbed... His acting on this show has been amazing. Also, if I had a say, I would have nominated Margo Martindale as well. Although brief in the second season, she is riveting when on screen.

I hope next year is their year!!

I just looked at the nominations list and I'm pretty sure I saw Margo Martindale's name in the Supporting Actress category.

ETA:  My error...her nomination is in the Guest Actress category.

Edited by Mrs. P.

I just looked at the nominations list and I'm pretty sure I saw Margo Martindale's name in the Supporting Actress category.

ETA: My error...her nomination is in the Guest Actress category.

Ah, yes! She is there in Guest Actress! Happy for her, Rhys is a glaring omission!

(edited)

The Lead Actor & Actress categories were extremely competitive, but I'm baffled as to why they keep nominating Downton Abbey for Best Drama when everyone knows the show is crap.  Oh well, at least this is Breaking Bad's final year, so maybe there will be some room for The Americans next year.

Edited by SaharaTea
  • Love 2

The Lead Actor & Actress categories were extremely competitive, but I'm baffled as to why they keep nominating Downton Abbey for Best Drama when everyone knows the show is crap.  Oh well, at least this is Breaking Bad's final year, so maybe there will be some room for The Americans next year.

DA is entertaining as fluff, but I agree that the Americans far outclasses it as a drama.

(edited)

I love Margo on the show, and her nomination is well earned, but her being the only nomination is just the laziest thing these bastards could do. I can almost see them now- "oh, we gave her award once and I've never seen the show, but I'm sure she's good in it, so I'm going to check my box besides her name."  It would have been almost better for them to have a complete shut out.

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 1

For me that's the sad part, that once a drama enters the category it doesn't move until it winds up production. The Americans and Masters of Sex are better, and deserve nominations, than some of the dramas that occupy the space simply based on past performance. So these brilliant productions will probably have to hit seasons 3 or 4 before they get recognition, by which time maybe the consistency might have gone (I hope not!!!) Mad Men, nothing against the show, has been nominated every year since 2008. It's a slick production, so maybe the wrong one to highlight but I think it's nomination happens on auto pilot. 

Finally catching up with this show on Amazon Prime, just finished season one. And good God, Noah Emmerich! Supporting Actor in a Drama was a crowded category for the 2013 Emmys, but how the hell does he not even get nominated?? Maybe critics hadn't caught on to the show yet, but Emmerich kills it all season and nearly steals the show for episodes like seven through ten. Looking back at that year's Emmys, the amount of nominations for Downton performers is staggering and unbelievable. British actors are good at playing uptight, posh, and repressed? My heavens, what a surprise!

• Love 1

Matthew Rhys was also nominated.

I did mention that, if this is responding to my post. I mentioned the show, Keri, Matthew, & Lois Smith (who was nominated for her guest role of the old lady working in an office when Philip & Elizabeth had to go do, I forget what now, & Elizabeth--sadly--made her take a fatal overdose of her heart medication, after she saw & learned way too much about Elizabeth).

• Love 3

Congrats to them all. I hope Mathew and Keri win, they deserve it. If people aren't convinced, they should check out that scene when that South African was "necklaced". Only for a couple of seconds, there's horror in Philip and Elizabeth's eyes, then they reel it in and pretend not to be bothered. 2 seconds on the screen but masterfully done. Or that scene that changed "pulling teeth" to mean making love. 

• Love 2

I did mention that, if this is responding to my post. I mentioned the show, Keri, Matthew, & Lois Smith (who was nominated for her guest role of the old lady working in an office when Philip & Elizabeth had to go do, I forget what now, & Elizabeth--sadly--made her take a fatal overdose of her heart medication, after she saw & learned way too much about Elizabeth).

Sorry about that. I don't know how I managed to completely overlook Matthew's name in your post.

Good Luck tonight to Matthew, Keri, Guest Actor Lois Smith, & the show itself at the Critics' Choice Awards! For anyone who's interested & whose cable/satellite package includes the channel, the awards will be aired LIVE on A&E Network beginning at 8PM Eastern/5PM Pacific Time tonight, Sunday, May 31st. Check your local listings for the correct channel number for A&E on your cable/satellite provider.

• Love 1
(edited)

Winner of Best Drama Series! Woohoo!

Sorry Matthew, Keri, & Lois Smith weren't awarded for their acting, & I suppose I get at least the reasoning for Taraji P. Henson winning Keri's category, but can I get *another* woo-hoo?

The Americans *also* won a Peabody Award this year/last night! (though it seems kinda crappy they'd schedule 2 award shows we were nominated in on the same night, maybe on both coasts--but I guess some probably repped the show at 1 ceremony & others were at the other ceremony).

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/605168074094985220

(I also have a pic on my Twitter feed of Alison Wright & Holly Taylor at the Critics' Choice Awards last night--Annet Mahendru was supposedly with them, but she's not in the pic; I have to go back through my Twitter again, to find the pic & I'll post the link when I do).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

As expected, The Emmys didn't give the show much love, giving the show only two nominations- one in writing (Do Mail Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep? -Joshua Brand), and the other for, you guessed it, Margo Martindale and her two minutes of screen time.

• Love 1
(edited)

No surprise that the show is almost completely ignored AGAIN.  I'm surprised they actually got a writing nomination though.

Margo is a great actress but this year's nomination is another example of lazy Emmy voting.  Two minutes of screentime and she gets a nomination...did voters just see her name, remember she's a past winner and just give her the nod without actually looking at the footage?

Margo getting nominated for two minutes of screentime reminds me of Rafael Palmeiro winning the Golden Glove at first base during a season in which he only played 28 games at the position.

Edited by benteen

Hmm, with Maslany finally nommed, the only TV Critics Association multiple time drama nominee to not have an Emmy nom is Matthew Rhys. Maybe next year will finally be his ticket? Both Jon Hamm and Jeff Daniels will be gone next season.

I appreciated that MR retweeted the Vulture article about "So who got snubbed...?" and he seemed to have added "The Americans, mostly." Hee.

I was talking to someone else who said they were almost more bummed by the noms it did get than the many ones it didn't and I personally had to agree. But oh well.

Especially considering how much praise she seemed to get after the episode aired (at least here & from the Television Critics' Awards... Or whatever they're called), I'm somewhat surprised (though I guess I shouldn't be, considering the lack of attention the show normally gets from the Emmys) that Lois Smith wasn't nominated for Guest Actress in a Drama Series.

Not that I'm knocking Margo's nomination. I love how she plays Claudia. But, because of her other work, she *has* had a decided lack of screentime in the show the last couple of seasons & maybe she got this nomination as more of a "sentimental favorite/recognizable as a past winner" sort of thing, than for her actual work in the submitted episode.

There are no "submitted episodes" in the nomination phase.  People really are going off of memory and name recognition at that stage.  It is only when voting for the winners that voters must attest that they have watched the episode submitted by each nominee.  This is why it has traditionally been hard for strong actors on lesser-watched shows to break through.

Well actually, in the nominations phase for GUEST ACTORS, there are in fact "submitted episodes" for each candidate.

Of course, no one's gonna force people to watch dozens and dozens of tapes for just one category, but still.

It's a travesty. We might have to resort to Orphan Black's fan campaign for Tatiana. But that was a clear cut case that could wade through the voters' laziness. Without watching it through, how can The Americans' greatness be appreciated?

(edited)

Of course The Americans gets snubbed. I like it and think it is the best show currently on television without a character being front lined for no reason.

It's my fault. All the shows I like get snubbed.

I accept full responsibility.

I know let's have the Emmy voters arrested for espionage. That's a good way to get them to remember the show.

Too much?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Well actually, in the nominations phase for GUEST ACTORS, there are in fact "submitted episodes" for each candidate.

Of course, no one's gonna force people to watch dozens and dozens of tapes for just one category, but still.

There is a "named" episode, but I don't think it is "submitted" in the sense of the actor having to supply a tape to ATAS.  But correct me if I'm wrong!  As you note, the point is that voters don't have to have watched ANYTHING before voting on nominations.

(edited)

Well, especially now that there aren't panels this year and all eligible people can just vote online if they claim to have seen the nominees, voters "having to watch" things to vote for winners is questionable.

It's like how theoretically in political elections, it's assumed that you'll vote because you're actually informed, but many people are totally ignorant yet vote anyway.

Edited by jjjmoss

I love Margo but she won an Emmy for one two-minute scene?

Sometimes it's not the length of the scene/material that's important. It's what the actor does with it. And so The Americans finally gets its first Emmy win.

By the way, the Creative Arts Emmys for this season (where Margo won tonight) will air on the FXX network (NOT FX, where The Americans airs) next Saturday, September 19th, at 8:00 & 10:30PM ET & PT.

Sometimes it's not the length of the scene/material that's important. It's what the actor does with it. And so The Americans finally gets its first Emmy win.

I agree, there was absolutely nothing in that scene that she did something all that special with. No insult intended to the actress--she was great, but it wasn't a scene where it would even have been appropriate for something unusual.

• Love 1

Exactly.  Margo's a great actress but her entire work for Season 3 was two minutes look in an ultimately insignificant scene.  This is the Emmys basically giving an Emmy to someone who was a past winner and nothing more.

• Love 1
Exactly.  Margo's a great actress but her entire work for Season 3 was two minutes look in an ultimately insignificant scene.  This is the Emmys basically giving an Emmy to someone who was a past winner and nothing more.

To be honest, it doesn't even feel like a win for the show, just for MM. And I have nothing against that, but it seems like it's more clear than ever that they're ignoring the show itself and see her as something separate from it given the circumstances.

• Love 2

Hey anytime a legitimate award says the words "The Americans" it is a win in my book. I don't care if it is for Best DYI dentistry or Least annoying children . This show deserves to have all the praise it can get.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

How much Claudia did we even see in the past season?

Not much, and nothing particularly award-worthy that I can recall.  But Martindale seems to be in the automatic nomination category right now, due to name recognition or something.  Ruthie Ann Miles as Young Hee was a much more memorable guest star this past season.

• Love 4