Type keyword(s) to search

BH: 90210 Anticipation.... It’s so Meta

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I loved these ridiculous episodes too. Kelly’s in a fire with a stalker. Kelly’s got a horrible burn on her neck. Kelly’s scar is miraculously gone. Yay she’s a model! 

And of courseee .. the girl in the fire with Kelly is in love with her too . What a shock 🙄

and right ? Because scars just disappear all the time . Not to mention she kept going on about it and how much the scar ruined her career , yet throughout that story line the scar wasn’t even visible . 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:05 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

Is it wrong that those were some of my favorite eps? The cult, the fire, the coke, SWF Tara., all legendary. So silly and soapy but damn were they memorable!

Kelly snorting that first line of coke with her's dad check is, IMO, a top-tier moment in soap history.

In reboot news...

Nobody being able to pull the name of the Beverly Beat was very amusing, particularly Jennie Garth admitting Kelly (slash she) didn't give a shit.

Also, man The Shan is looking good.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Kelly snorting that first line of coke with her's dad check is, IMO, a top-tier moment in soap history.

It really was.

And of courseee .. the girl in the fire with Kelly is in love with her too . What a shock 🙄

That was a storyline that made me just go, "What the hell is even the point of this? We all know damn well Fox isn't going to have Kelly become a lesbian for a chick she got burned with in a fire." The show didn't even do a lesbian exploitation kiss in the last season of the show when it had become kind of a ratings stunt thing by that year.

It was kind of funny thought that Kelly's OC Gen Y counterpart Marissa Cooper DID go there, and for an extended period of time.

• Love 2

It’s getting close, and I’m getting excited!

Check out this recent pic of Jim, Cindy and “Reek.”  (Of these, only Carol Potter is participating in the reboot, as far as I know.)

B6D0493F-29ED-48FB-A457-694743AC80A1.jpeg

• Love 8
2 hours ago, TomGirl said:

It’s getting close, and I’m getting excited!

Check out this recent pic of Jim, Cindy and “Reek.”  (Of these, only Carol Potter is participating in the reboot, as far as I know.)

B6D0493F-29ED-48FB-A457-694743AC80A1.jpeg

Jim and Cindy look great!

• Love 3

Shows about just pure social issues like 90210 would be hard to make as good nowadays because there was something about the innocence of people just hanging out at a place like the peach pit without talking about social media every second or getting an OMG text message every 5 seconds ( like pretty little liars ) It was just people hanging out and building relationships , cheating on each other , getting burned in fires .. all the real stuff . Writers are now into this mystery stuff because  having cell phones and social media is so easy to manipulate situations and increase the ways you can stalk and have people find out information , etc . So I don’t think shows will ever be the same again even if they went that route again , but I do really miss that format and I love re runs of all of these types of shows . 

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Shows about just pure social issues like 90210 would be hard to make as good nowadays because there was something about the innocence of people just hanging out at a place like the peach pit without talking about social media every second or getting an OMG text message every 5 seconds ( like pretty little liars ) It was just people hanging out and building relationships , cheating on each other , getting burned in fires .. all the real stuff . Writers are now into this mystery stuff because  having cell phones and social media is so easy to manipulate situations and increase the ways you can stalk and have people find out information , etc . So I don’t think shows will ever be the same again even if they went that route again , but I do really miss that format and I love re runs of all of these types of shows . 

I think you could do it, while acknowledging phones and social media but the writing would have to be really sharp to make it realistic. I remember the start of season 5 when Kelly and Donna were catching up and I couldn’t believe they didn’t talk ALL summer, that wouldn’t fly in 2019, but I can buy characters choosing to keep certain things off of social media etc. 

• Love 5

I'm looking forward to this too, though I can't stand Donna/Tori.  I would love if Val/Tiffani made an appearance (she was my favorite after Brenda) but doubtful since Tori and Jennie have not matured beyond their mean-girl mentality against any other female on the show.

Love the promo shots of the original eight... Until I realize one is missing :-(  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I'm looking forward to this too, though I can't stand Donna/Tori.  I would love if Val/Tiffani made an appearance (she was my favorite after Brenda) but doubtful since Tori and Jennie have not matured beyond their mean-girl mentality against any other female on the show.

Love the promo shots of the original eight... Until I realize one is missing 😞  

From what I have read, Tiffani couldn’t appear because of her schedule. She is in a Netflix show called Alexa & Katie. I do hope she makes an appearance if they do more episodes. 

I’m very excited at the teasers I’ve seen. It looks fun. The cast has been sharing lots of stuff on Instagram and I eat up every bit of it. Christine Elise (Emily Valentine, of course) shares a lot of fun stuff. She also blasted the negative  people who are being jerks about the reboot, and said the cast is having a great time so the naysayers can suck it. Heh. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, desertflower said:

I’m very excited at the teasers I’ve seen. It looks fun. The cast has been sharing lots of stuff on Instagram and I eat up every bit of it. Christine Elise (Emily Valentine, of course) shares a lot of fun stuff. She also blasted the negative  people who are being jerks about the reboot, and said the cast is having a great time so the naysayers can suck it. Heh. 

There's so much widespread confusion about how this isn't a true reboot and how angry some folks are about it. I never thought I would see these actors on my tv together again and I'm grateful they are doing it. Given how the CW 'reboot' went, I'm really okay without doing a true reboot with the original cast.

I'm glad Emily Valentine is back, I think it will add an interesting direction. And I love how open she is on Instagram.

• Love 4

First review I've seen, and it's positive: https://nypost.com/2019/08/05/bh90210-review-the-gang-is-back-to-poke-fun-at-themselves/

It also confirms something I've been speculating (minor spoilers): 

Spoiler

Shannen Doherty's not gonna be in too much of the pilot since she's appearing remotely at the convention the others are attending.  That's been my guess based on a bunch of the footage/stills we've seen.  Which I guess makes sense because I think it was written or pitched before she signed on?  But still, makes you wonder how long she'll be separate from everyone else.  I do think there's a spoiler about Tori approaching her in episode three about the show.

• Love 1

Are we going to get a full thread for the reboot, or is it all going to be discussed here?

There are only two things that would make me happier: If the time slot was 8:00 p.m. instead of 9:00 p.m., then it would really be like my childhood again. Wednesdays, 8:00 p.m. on Fox was what my whole week revolved around.

And of course, if Luke were still here. I'm going to watch, but even in viewing promos, a massive piece of 90210 is missing. I find myself searching the screen, wondering what I'm seeking, and then it hits me - Dylan isn't showing up. I don't know if I'll make it through the premiere without a massive amount of tissues.

Thankfully, I have the finale saved on my DVR. If this ep proves too painful, I'll get my Dylan fix that way.

• Love 5

Tori's actually going to poke fun at her money problems? Okay, I'm sold.

Spoiler

Shannen showing up via Instagram stream is kind of brilliant. It feels like a nod to the MTV Real World reunions of the 90's, when the troubled cast member didn't show up but they'd leave like a video where they said bitchy things to the cast.

I like that they've all pretty plausible adulthood storylines that aren't that far off from their real lives.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, allienc said:

There's so much widespread confusion about how this isn't a true reboot and how angry some folks are about it. I never thought I would see these actors on my tv together again and I'm grateful they are doing it. Given how the CW 'reboot' went, I'm really okay without doing a true reboot with the original cast.

I'm glad Emily Valentine is back, I think it will add an interesting direction. And I love how open she is on Instagram.

I don't think you can recapture the original magic of Beverly Hills 90210 - not just because the cast is older, Luke is gone, and times have changed. To think, no cell phones and pre-9/11 - the original show is a time capsule and I would like to preserve it and appreciate it in reruns.

But the other factor that not many people discuss is the sheer volume of episodes. These guys did 30-32 a season! Full-season shows do about 22 today if you're lucky. Premium channels give you 12 if they're feeling generous, often with more than a year break between eps. Prestige shows like The Sopranos, Mad Men, and GoT? They pretend to be British and benevolently hand out 6 eps as though each is inlaid with winning lottery numbers.

The sheer VOLUME of 90210 is part of the reason we feel close to these characters - they were literal constants on our screen. And for all the content they pushed out, the show rarely dragged during the Dylan years (seasons 7 and 8 are just unwatchable for me without him). Seasons 3, 4, and 5 were packed with iconic moments - even "filler" eps like the 60s ep and Rolling Stones ep are memorable and fun. 

The plot and relationships unfolded in real time - we saw the shifts in love and friendships. They earned the shock value, the outrage, the tears, etc. They were never off the air so long that we couldn't remember where the narrative had left off.

There's simply no way to accomplish that in today's TV landscape, so I'm thrilled to see glimpses of the cast hanging out and trying to make a reboot - as fictionalized version of themselves. I find their personal relationships just as fascinating and TV-worthy. And, as someone who adores the ending from May of 2000, I'm on board for any concept that doesn't retcon the original plot and sully that beautiful finale. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

And, as someone who adores the ending from May of 2000, I'm on board for any show that doesn't retcon the original plot and sully that beautiful finale. 

Well, the good thing is that this show is basically going to pretend that this abomination never happened:

The one worthy storyline that from iteration was Teddy's gay storyline, but then the guy he had actual chemistry left so it was pointless. And I guess Matt Lanter has really pretty eyes?

And then there were all the nasty things they did to the OG characters- making Brenda barren while giving Kelly Dylan's child (but he has nothing to do with his kid anyway) that looks suspiciously like Steve,  breaking up Donna and David, having Jackie relapse before killing her off, making Erin Silver psychotic, and having Andrea Zuckerman's daughter be Mark Green's awful kid from ER. I mean, what did Andrea do to deserve THAT?

I think the biggest problem with that show is that it never had a cohesive group feel to it and it jumped right away into a love triangle without realizing that the reason why the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly love triangle worked so well is because we had seen them develop a friendship for 2 years before it happened.

I'm glad that they're just completely chucking this. Although I do kind of want to see Brenda with a 11-year old daughter from China. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I don't think you can recapture the original magic of Beverly Hills 90210 - not just because the cast is older, Luke is gone, and times have changed. To think, no cell phones and pre-9/11 - the original show is a time capsule and I would like to preserve it and appreciate it in reruns.

I definitely understand what you mean by “no cell phones” effecting the tv drama world but can you expand on how the landscape was changed by 9/11? Forgive my ignorance, I did watch this show in real time but I was little, I was almost 16 when 9/11 happened. 

18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I definitely understand what you mean by “no cell phones” effecting the tv drama world but can you expand on how the landscape was changed by 9/11? Forgive my ignorance, I did watch this show in real time but I was little, I was almost 16 when 9/11 happened. 

It wasn't a commentary on TV specifically so much as the overall world view. We were in a very innocent time (and I was 3 when the show premiered, so I was quite innocent as well). 9/11 is like Pearl Harbor - there was life before and after that event. The world was, simply, a very different place, and those references were simply to illustrate how much time has gone by. I don't necessarily want to bring 90210 into this new era to deal with our iPhones, climate change, etc. - I'm happy to leave it where it is. That's why I'm on board with the style of the reboot.

• Love 3

It wasn't a commentary on TV specifically so much as the overall world view. We were in a very innocent time (and I was 3 when the show premiered, so I was quite innocent as well). 9/11 is like Pearl Harbor - there was life before and after that event. The world was, simply, a very different place, and those references were simply to illustrate how much time has gone by. I don't necessarily want to bring 90210 into this new era to deal with our iPhones, climate change, etc. - I'm happy to leave it where it is. That's why I'm on board with the style of the reboot.

Oh I see what you’re saying now thanks so much. 

• Love 1

I agree with you . Society has lost its innocence  and that’s what made the show so intriguing . I get a lot of comfort in watching re runs of 90s shows because of life without social media and before there was a mass shooting every 5 minutes and before you can get in touch with people in a second if you need to. Not to say the world was anywhere near perfect , but it was definitely a more innocent time and there’s something about watching especially the first few seasons of 90210 that’s very cozy . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I can definitely agree about feelings of nostalgia about the time of the early seasons of the show but I don't think they were more innocent times for the world. When I think about the outside world from that time I think about the AIDS crisis, LA riots, the first gulf war, the first world trade center bombing etc etc etc. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jenrising said:

I can definitely agree about feelings of nostalgia about the time of the early seasons of the show but I don't think they were more innocent times for the world. When I think about the outside world from that time I think about the AIDS crisis, LA riots, the first gulf war, the first world trade center bombing etc etc etc. 

The World was never innocent, but it wasn't as immediate and with us as it is now. 24-hour news, the Internet, iphones, texting - we are INUNDATED by every piece of information. The pace was slower.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jenrising said:

Yeah I agree with you. On a world wide stage we had the Rwandan genocide, the Bosnian War, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of apartheid......Just then the news wasn’t in our back pocket. 

On 8/3/2019 at 6:04 PM, Scarlett45 said:

These are really great photos of everyone. 

To me, Shannen looks like she’s the only one truly happy. She looks fantastic!

Edited by TeslaNewton
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2019 at 4:14 AM, Kiki777 said:

Love the promo shots of the original eight... Until I realize one is missing 😞  

Jennie and Tiffani were best friends for years during and after the show. The "Jennie was such a bitch to all the new actresses!" thing was one season and then she got over it and has fully acknowledged how weirdly protective she was of her "turf" for a bit there.

Can't speak on Tori as I can't stand her acting, character, or real-life personality so I avoid even good dirt at all costs!

Regardless, Thiessen isn't there because of a conflict. In a meta way, it'd be perfect to have her show up next season if there is one! Hope so. From the dirt I do know, the ones we definitely will never see are Robertson and Marcil.

I'm so glad this is a mockumentary instead of a revival. I don't want a 90210 world where Dylan is no longer alive. Obviously I don't want a real world where Luke Perry is no longer alive either, but unfortunately here we are. 

I'm bummed how much work Shannen seems to have had done (well, Tori, too, but that's been since the show). She was so stunning.

• Love 4