Type keyword(s) to search

BH: 90210 Anticipation.... It’s so Meta

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, desertflower said:

Carol Potter said on her Instagram that she was filming an episode. Yay! I’m getting excited. 

She showed up on Greek circa 2009 or so and I remember being so excited. I honestly believe that out of all the "parents", she really did bond with her t.v. children.

If we're ignoring that CW reboot we could also bring back Jackie, if she's willing to take a week off from her ministry. Hell,  since this is meta, they can TOTALLY play on her being a minister if she's game.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
On 6/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, psychoticstate said:

I am insanely, ridiculously and gleefully excited over this! 

So am I! But only because I want to see Shannen and Jason together again--hopefully the chemistry of Brenda and Brandon as brother and sister is still there. I would have loved to have seen Luke and Shannen again ( I can't recall if he was on board with this and would have appeared or not), since I know they were close before his death. He was there for her during her battle with cancer and chemo. And even David Austin Green.

I don't give any shits about Tori, Jennie or Ian. The latter really trash talked Shannen after she left, and I'm petty enough that I still hold that against him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So am I! But only because I want to see Shannen and Jason together again--hopefully the chemistry of Brenda and Brandon as brother and sister is still there. I would have loved to have seen Luke and Shannen again ( I can't recall if he was on board with this and would have appeared or not), since I know they were close before his death. He was there for her during her battle with cancer and chemo. And even David Austin Green.

I don't give any shits about Tori, Jennie or Ian. The latter really trash talked Shannen after she left, and I'm petty enough that I still hold that against him.

I believe it was reported that Luke was going to appear in a limited capacity, working around his Riverdale role.  

It would have been great to see him and Shannen together again, as I always felt Dylan was Brenda's endgame, not Kelly's.  

I have always had and will always have a soft spot for Ian Ziering/Steve Sanders.  I do think he and Shannen mended fences - - if memory serves, she attended one of his Chippendale shows.

Hopefully  all of them can realize that whatever issues they had were years ago, when some of them were still teenagers, and let it go for the greater good (i.e., so that those of us who are still unabashed 90210 fans can continue to get our fix.)   

On a shallow note, in the promo video it took me a minute to recognize Jennie Garth.  She's clearly done something (or somethings) to her face.

• Love 5
On 6/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So am I! But only because I want to see Shannen and Jason together again--hopefully the chemistry of Brenda and Brandon as brother and sister is still there.

Shannen posted a photo of her and Jason filming together on her IG yesterday.  Tara posted a screen grab on the awt twitter account.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am filled with unpopular opinions but also conviction so I'm sharing them anyway:

I liked the finale. The right people ended up together. Aside from Val not getting a happy ending and Brandon and Andrea not ending up together, I had no issues. I am not on board with any reboot that fucks with that peaceful ending from May 2000.

For me personally, there was no show without Dylan. I have never rewatched the reruns of seasons 7 and 8. I watched them during the original run only. I would have watched to see Luke even in a limited capacity. The fact that we are now talking about a tribute ep... I still can barely process it. There was something about Dylan... he was in every triangle. He was the show's secret sauce. The show didn't work without him 20 years ago, and I don't see it working now. Even seeing promos breaks my heart.

I am not on board with resurrecting 30-year-old drama. Everyone had the same story about Shannon back in the day. I'm sure she's matured but no one was more nasty about her than Jason - as recently as 2016 in fact. Luke disliked her so much he literally went to Charles Rosin, broke up Brenda and Dylan, and invented Dylan and Kelly as a couple. And yet, somehow, the other females are still being labeled as catty bitches when they did nothing more than their male co-stars to handle a notoriously problematic colleague.

I want so badly to be stoked for this, but no Luke plus toxic fandom means I'm leery.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 5
On 7/4/2019 at 1:32 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

I am not on board with resurrecting 30-year-old drama. Everyone had the same story about Shannon back in the day. I'm sure she's matured but no one was more nasty about her than Jason - as recently as 2016 in fact. Luke disliked her so much he literally went to Charles Rosin, broke up Brenda and Dylan, and invented Dylan and Kelly as a couple. And yet, somehow, the other females are still being labeled as catty bitches when they did nothing more than their male co-stars to handle a notoriously problematic colleague.

There were rumors after Shannen had left the show, that Jennie and Tori were not welcoming to any new actress on the show. shrug.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

There were rumors after Shannen had left the show, that Jennie and Tori were not welcoming to any new actress on the show. shrug.

I hadn’t heard anything about Luke trash talking Shannen. I did read how Brian and Tori still remained her friends. As for Jennie- I saw what she said about Shannen. That Shannen wasn’t a team player and how she wanted the show to be about her all the time. And what happened after she left? Who did the show focus on 99.999% of the time? Who was always falling in wuv with? KELLYKELLYKELLY.

So Yeah, I stand by my judgement against Jennie Garth.

• Love 6

I'm in the minority of loving all the seasons. I also don't want to hedge up old wounds. They were teenagers when all the drama occurred. At least Shannon, Jennie, Brian and Tori were.

I also don't agree every episode was centered on Kelly's character. Donna had plenty of storylines. In fact all of them did and many of the suitors fell for Donna just as much as Kelly. I actually enjoyed Steve's storylines for the comic relief his character would get in.

Yes, from the looks around here I'm one of the few Kelly/Dylan shippers. I just don't understand why Jennie is blamed when Luke had stated on multiple occasions he requested it and the writers said they had to come up with a way to make it happen. Thus the recon of knowing each other for a long time. Kelly's character was originally for Brandon, they were trying to have her grow up a bit before they put them together but they tested them a lot in earlier episodes; The election and prom for example. Luke heard they were about to put them together and requested a change.

I just love all things about the show and there's nothing on today or after which has enveloped my time. I wish Dylan was still here and I'm not too excited about this reboot since it's not really a reboot but, nevertheless,  I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I will say that I think after Brenda left the show , kelly did become the center . They all had big story lines obviously since the show ran 10 seasons and they couldn’t just have things happen to one person all the time  , but I would say Kelly was the “main “ character who was really involved in all triangles / stories . Steve to me was always just a side character . He never really was the center of any episode and he was just there most of the time , which is probably why he was most liked . Donna had bigger story lines as the show went on , and toward the last few seasons they gave her a lot to work with . 

• Love 4

I was always a Kelly/Dylan shipper, too, @Thinbalina. Honestly, I still am. I realize that's unpopular, but I completely respect everyone's opinion, & respect that we're in the minority. I also didn't start watching the show until about the summer of deception, & I love a good triangle, although, in real life, I'd hate both Kelly & Dylan if they'd done that to someone I love, but I loved watching it on TV. Kelly & Dylan really did make sense on paper. They were both poor, little, wounded, rich kids. I really do see the pull to each other. They did have a very strong physical attraction to each other, too. I think Dylan was more mentally & emotionally drawn to Brenda, but more physically attracted to Kelly. It's the exact same thing with Brandon/Kelly/Dylan. 

However, every time they were actually together, it sucked. They fought, they were miserable, & they were always looking to others (Brandon, John Sears, Brenda). I didn't really like them together, but I loved their desire to be together if that makes sense. 

I do think Kelly was the main girl in the show in later years, but with Brenda gone, & Kelly dating the other main character, & when not dating him, pining for him & vice-versa, I think that made sense. Kelly was the stereotypical California girl, & full of confidence (which is usually considered pretty attractive); what I couldn't understand was why men would fall over Donna on-site. Donna was a very kind person, for the most part, but she wasn't oozing sexiness, TM the Deaner. It'd make more sense if men got to know her & then fell all over her, not just because of her looks. It's a crying shame that men didn't break their necks to have a chat with Gina. I'd buy that she'd have men see her buying coffee & trip themselves to get over to talk to her before she was gone. Donna? Not so much.

I'm pretty excited about the reboot. It seems like everyone buried the hatchet with Shannen, & they're all good. The thing I'm the most interested in is how they'll pay their respects to Luke. Still can't believe he's gone. 

• Love 1
On 7/8/2019 at 4:34 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I will say that I think after Brenda left the show , kelly did become the center . They all had big story lines obviously since the show ran 10 seasons and they couldn’t just have things happen to one person all the time  , but I would say Kelly was the “main “ character who was really involved in all triangles / stories . Steve to me was always just a side character . He never really was the center of any episode and he was just there most of the time , which is probably why he was most liked . Donna had bigger story lines as the show went on , and toward the last few seasons they gave her a lot to work with . 

Listening to the Podcasts it’s pretty clear after college Steve was regulated to the C plot other than his marriage to Janet and their daughter. Even then they would only highlight them 1-2x in seasons 9 and 10. 

11 hours ago, nkotb said:

Kelly was the stereotypical California girl, & full of confidence (which is usually considered pretty attractive); what I couldn't understand was why men would fall over Donna on-site. Donna was a very kind person, for the most part, but she wasn't oozing sexiness, 

I never thought a lot of guys “fell over Donna” outside of the “modeling in Paris” foolishness in season 3. She dated David, and Ray (at the beginning of her and Ray, she went on 1-2 dates with Casper Van Deen), then Joe, David again, Noah and David- so in a 10yrs span the character had 4 boyfriends. Not a wallflower but not a crazy amount of guys. 

Kelly was pretty in a very California girl way but they made the character so BITCHY after season 4 I’m surprised anyone put up with her for two seconds. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Listening to the Podcasts it’s pretty clear after college Steve was regulated to the C plot other than his marriage to Janet and their daughter. Even then they would only highlight them 1-2x in seasons 9 and 10. 

I never thought a lot of guys “fell over Donna” outside of the “modeling in Paris” foolishness in season 3. She dated David, and Ray (at the beginning of her and Ray, she went on 1-2 dates with Casper Van Deen), then Joe, David again, Noah and David- so in a 10yrs span the character had 4 boyfriends. Not a wallflower but not a crazy amount of guys. 

Kelly was pretty in a very California girl way but they made the character so BITCHY after season 4 I’m surprised anyone put up with her for two seconds. 

It’s not really the amount of boyfriends she had , but guys did throw themselves at her left and right and they all seemed to fall in love right away  ( cliff being one that stands out ) but there were many others . Yet they were never interested in Val . Okay . 

Even in season 10 which I just finished watching , numerous guys wanted to date her but she turned them down essentially for David . I could see why physically guys wanted Kelly . Once she opened her mouth it was a different story .. but Donna , eh . 

• Love 6

That's exactly where I am on guys falling all over Donna. Specifically Cliff, or, as David referred to him, "Rescue 911", & the surfer dude, I think his real name is Shawn Christian. There was also a guy who had something to do with coffee, & another one who was involved in the website for Now Wear This. I do think that once people got to know her, she became more attractive, but for men to just see her & fawn all over her was a stretch. 

Again, though, in a lineup, I think Gina & Val would win most men over in a heartbeat. Even today, they're both still knockouts. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, nkotb said:

That's exactly where I am on guys falling all over Donna. Specifically Cliff, or, as David referred to him, "Rescue 911", & the surfer dude, I think his real name is Shawn Christian. There was also a guy who had something to do with coffee, & another one who was involved in the website for Now Wear This. I do think that once people got to know her, she became more attractive, but for men to just see her & fawn all over her was a stretch. 

Again, though, in a lineup, I think Gina & Val would win most men over in a heartbeat. Even today, they're both still knockouts. 

The ONLY reason all of these random guys fell for Donna and stalked her was because she was Tori Spelling. 'nuff said. Now I'm going back to the seasons 1-3 thread, because that was the show I loved. Season three, not so much because of the destruction of Brenda and Brenda and Dylan.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nkotb said:

I think you mean the beach volleyball player, Wayne.

• Useful 1

I knew it was something beacy. 😉 

On topic, I thought the guy from "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger" was supposed to play Tori's love interest on the reboot. With the Deaner now signed on, unless they're doing a "Tori gets her revenge on Dean by cheating" storyline, I don't know where he'll fit in.

• Love 2

Ok, so yesterday or the day before I saw a clip on Instagram of some quick scenes from the new show. Tori and BAG were dancing at the Pit, a few other quick snippets, then at the the end Jennie and Jason were in bed, looking at the ceiling, and Jennie says “Wow!” Today I went back to look at it again and it’s gone. Poof. Maybe it was an IG story and that’s why it disappeared but I could’ve sworn it was a regular post. Maybe they weren’t supposed to share it yet!

I am still very curious how the new show will be, how they will handle Luke, etc. I am encouraged by some things Brian said in one of his podcasts, that they will indeed have scenes as their characters, and that they may even do some stand alone episodes as the characters. I think he said it would be towards the end or into season 2. 

Does anyone follow the 9021bro on Instagram? His name is Darren and he has been a die hard fan and collector for years. Apparently the cast invited him to appear in the new show. He posted some fun pictures with them. I thought that was awesome of them to include him. 

• Love 3

This pic is fun...they dressed the ladies up in their 90’s looks. Check out Shannen Doherty! With that hair and makeup she looks exactly the same!! Gabrielle looks pretty close but she’s obviously older. I don’t think Jennie looks as much like her old self, the hair is a little off. And Tori’s had so much work done she just looks like a weird version of herself. But again, Shannen!

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, desertflower said:

This pic is fun...they dressed the ladies up in their 90’s looks. Check out Shannen Doherty! With that hair and makeup she looks exactly the same!! Gabrielle looks pretty close but she’s obviously older. I don’t think Jennie looks as much like her old self, the hair is a little off. And Tori’s had so much work done she just looks like a weird version of herself. But again, Shannen!

BWAH! Is Jennie wearing that outfit that made her look like a frau in the college years?!!!😅🤣 And Tori's hair looks like she slapped a wig on top of her square head. Yes, I'm mean.

But yeah, my gurrrl Shannen is looking very good! Wish my hair had grown back as great after my bout with fucking chemo!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But yeah, my gurrrl Shannen is looking very good! Wish my hair had grown back as great after my bout with fucking chemo!

I think it’s probably extensions mixed in with her hair. It doesn’t look that full in her regular Instagram posts. It’s awesome how close they got it to her season 3 look. 

I would’ve liked to have seen Jennie with the flowy hair she had senior year/freshman year of college. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 2:32 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

I liked the finale. The right people ended up together. Aside from Val not getting a happy ending and Brandon and Andrea not ending up together, I had no issues. I am not on board with any reboot that fucks with that peaceful ending from May 2000.

I thought Val won the finale, IMO.  She came to town, looked great, spiced up Donna's bachelorette party, knew her place was hanging with the guys the morning of, told us she had a job and was spending time with her mom and was dating a guy who cared about her warts and all, she didn't put up with Kelly's shit at the wedding, got a beaming smile out of Dylan, and then got to flee town and not be a daily part of these peoples' lives.  That's pretty happy if you ask me lol.

This will never happen, but I would loooove some kind of meta scene between TAT and Shannen Doherty, like we see Shannen go to an audition for a different role and she bumps into TAT because she's reading for the same part, that would be hilar.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I thought Val won the finale, IMO.  She came to town, looked great, spiced up Donna's bachelorette party, knew her place was hanging with the guys the morning of, told us she had a job and was spending time with her mom and was dating a guy who cared about her warts and all, she didn't put up with Kelly's shit at the wedding, got a beaming smile out of Dylan, and then got to flee town and not be a daily part of these peoples' lives.  That's pretty happy if you ask me lol.

This will never happen, but I would loooove some kind of meta scene between TAT and Shannen Doherty, like we see Shannen go to an audition for a different role and she bumps into TAT because she's reading for the same part, that would be hilar.

Val did kinda steal the finale. I just wish she'd been in it more. She was the most complex female character the show ever created, and my favorite female on the show. TAT looked SMOKIN in the finale, as she did throughout most of her seasons. No one would have given any other girl a second look with Val around!

I guess I just wanted explicit triumph for her. It would have been a worthwhile scene to have her and Dylan discuss his  recommitting to Kelly. She could have ribbed him about it, since she hates Kel, and given us more info about her current life. Ah, oh well.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2019 at 12:53 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hadn’t heard anything about Luke trash talking Shannen. I did read how Brian and Tori still remained her friends. As for Jennie- I saw what she said about Shannen. That Shannen wasn’t a team player and how she wanted the show to be about her all the time. And what happened after she left? Who did the show focus on 99.999% of the time? Who was always falling in wuv with? KELLYKELLYKELLY.

So Yeah, I stand by my judgement against Jennie Garth.

Whether or not Shannen wanted the show to be about her, the fact is that 90210 started out about the Walsh family, not the Taylor family.  The Walshes were the stars; everyone else was a friend or supporting player.  At least in the beginning.   So if Jennie did say that, it's kind of unfair (and hypocritical since, by some accounts, she moved into the HBIC role once Shannen departed.)  

Also once Shannen departed, everything did seem to be about Kelly.  I mean, look at her first 2 years of college only.  Dating Dylan, breaks up with Dylan, hooks up with Brandon, becomes some face of college campuses for Seventeen, gets modeling interest, gets in a fire, gets involved with a cult, cheats on Brandon with Dylan, gets proposed to by Brandon, chooses herself, goes to NY and hooks up with lame Colin.   And this is pre-coked out Kelly.   Really, as someone who might snark on Ohhhhhhhndrea but generally liked her, it's too bad that Ohhhhhhhndrea got married and had a baby and the "good" storylines were given to Kelly.  Frankly, rather than DJ Jazzy Dave and his meth laced orange juice, I think it could have been more interesting (and unexpected) for Ohhhhhhhhndrea to develop a drug problem.  But bygones.  

I've posted in other threads but I also didn't get the constant fluffing of Kelly.  Was there anyone besides Val who wasn't in love with Kelly?   

On 7/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, desertflower said:

Love the throwback type photo!  Shannen does look great.  We all know Tori has had her share of cosmetic surgery (is her own DNA even admissible in court any longer?) but Jennie doesn't really look like herself either.  

• Love 3

I’m just curious what the hell the writers would have done with ohhhhhndrea had she stayed on the show for the full 10 seasons . They would have had to completely change her character to have her survive the never ending seasons . 

• Love 2
On 6/25/2019 at 7:50 AM, psychoticstate said:

On a shallow note, in the promo video it took me a minute to recognize Jennie Garth.  She's clearly done something (or somethings) to her face.

I just saw the promo -- thought for a minute it was an advertisement for "Botched".

• LOL 3
On 7/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

TAT looked SMOKIN in the finale, as she did throughout most of her seasons. No one would have given any other girl a second look with Val around!

Gina is the only one that comes close, which makes it ridiculous that everyone would be pining after Kelly and Donna, instead of Val or Gina.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I’m just curious what the hell the writers would have done with ohhhhhndrea had she stayed on the show for the full 10 seasons . They would have had to completely change her character to have her survive the never ending seasons . 

It could have been interesting to see her struggle as a divorced single mother especially in the latter "adult years" seasons, but I do wonder. She probably would have been involved in the Beverly Beat storyline and we would have seen her try a series of completely boring nice Jewish boys.

The writers MIGHT have killed off her daughter to try and free up Andrea and give her drama. Having a baby die would be pretty dark for this show, but hell, Little House on the Prairie did this kind of shit all the time. (They had at least 3 different baby deaths on that show's 10 seasons and various t.v. movies.) Or they might have had Jessie win custody, essentially freeing up Andrea without killing off her daughter.

I think with Andrea, we probably wouldn't have gotten Susan, Tracey, or Janet.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Having a baby die would be pretty dark for this show,

Did you watch the original from seasons 8-9? Kelly was shot, and then raped (a season later); and she killed her rapist; it was retconned that Val's dad had been molesting her since she was 11 and he didn't really kill himself, but she killed him. I consider that pretty dark.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

It could have been interesting to see her struggle as a divorced single mother especially in the latter "adult years" seasons, but I do wonder. She probably would have been involved in the Beverly Beat storyline and we would have seen her try a series of completely boring nice Jewish boys.

The writers MIGHT have killed off her daughter to try and free up Andrea and give her drama. Having a baby die would be pretty dark for this show, but hell, Little House on the Prairie did this kind of shit all the time. (They had at least 3 different baby deaths on that show's 10 seasons and various t.v. movies.) Or they might have had Jessie win custody, essentially freeing up Andrea without killing off her daughter.

I think with Andrea, we probably wouldn't have gotten Susan, Tracey, or Janet.

Yeah, I think Andrea's struggles as a single mother could have actually been interesting. One of her final storylines was her cheating on Jesse with that doctor, and I found it surprisingly realistic for Andrea to be wanting to explore relationships with other people after having impulsively married one of her first boyfriends after getting accidentally pregnant after like 3 dates. Like, of COURSE that's what an 18 year old would end up doing (...passing off Andrea as 18 is another issue entirely, but I digress). I was even rooting for her to leave Jesse and recognize how her decision to marry him wasn't a good one (they were a TERRIBLE match after all). 

Unfortunately, however, the writers lost the nerve to actually "go there" and naturally had Andrea realize the error of her ways and reconcile with Jesse. I like to think the show would've been better if she had ended up leaving him and stayed on for the rest of the series. Maybe she'd have had a chance at some meatier storylines (for all the crap she gets for being too old for her character, I'll stand by my belief that GC was one of the best actors on the show, and like TAT, at least managed to give her character some weight even when the writing didn't). But the truth is that they probably all would've been boring as hell anyway, as was par for the course after season 5. Nobody on 90210 ever really got to do anything with real, interesting consequences that lasted longer than an episode or two.

Edited by GrahamV
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think with Andrea, we probably wouldn't have gotten Susan, Tracey, or Janet

I LOVED Susan and Janet, so that would have made me sad, but I SO wish Andrea had stayed on the show. For me, something left the show with her and never returned. She was such a source of intelligence and integrity (even with the stupid affair story line that was totally out of character), and no one else filled that. Brandon was a sanctimonious douche from season 4 on, not a moral compass. They pushed Kelly as a saint but I never bought that. Steve became some great source of fatherly wisdom in the last two seasons, and that felt earned, but it wasn't the same as having Andrea around.

I'd rather have seen Andrea compete for Brandon's heart against the likes of Claire, Susan, and Tracy, rather than that awful Kelly/Brandon/Dylan triangle that dominated the later seasons. Kelly and Brandon were just awful together. If Kelly needed a main man in Dylan's absence, that could have been Steve - it would have made much more sense. Then Steve could  have found Janet when Dylan returned and we'd still have ended up where we did at the finale - just a much smoother narrative ride with less ancillary characters. If we'd kept OG Andrea, we wouldn't have needed the likes of Noah, Gina, Carly (God bless Hilary Swank), or Sweater Vest Matt.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GrahamV said:

Nobody on 90210 ever really got to do anything with real, interesting consequences that lasted longer than an episode or two.

Well, technically, Kelly's 2-episode stint with cocaine brought Single White Female Tara into her life. So that's like 4 episodes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Well, technically, Kelly's 2-episode stint with cocaine brought Single White Female Tara into her life. So that's like 4 episodes.

Is it wrong that those were some of my favorite eps? The cult, the fire, the coke, SWF Tara., all legendary. So silly and soapy but damn were they memorable! 

Even funnier, who the hell would have wanted Kelly's awful haircut? From the moment she broke up with Dylan at the end of season 4 until he returned in season 9, she looked godawful. Outfits, hair, the whole 9 yards - wardrobe had it out for Jennie Garth.

Gosh, I would LOVE to have Tara make an appearance in the reboot. Between her and Emily Valentine, it would be a reunion of all the crazy pixie blondes!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, GrahamV said:

Yeah, I think Andrea's struggles as a single mother could have actually been interesting. One of her final storylines was her cheating on Jesse with that doctor, and I found it surprisingly realistic for Andrea to be wanting to explore relationships with other people after having impulsively married one of her first boyfriends after getting accidentally pregnant after like 3 dates. Like, of COURSE that's what an 18 year old would end up doing (...passing off Andrea as 18 is another issue entirely, but I digress). I was even rooting for her to leave Jesse and recognize how her decision to marry him wasn't a good one (they were a TERRIBLE match after all). 

Unfortunately, however, the writers lost the nerve to actually "go there" and naturally had Andrea realize the error of her ways and reconcile with Jesse. I like to think the show would've been better if she had ended up leaving him and stayed on for the rest of the series. Maybe she'd have had a chance at some meatier storylines (for all the crap she gets for being too old for her character, I'll stand by my belief that GC was one of the best actors on the show, and like TAT, at least managed to give her character some weight even when the writing didn't). But the truth is that they probably all would've been boring as hell anyway, as was par for the course after season 5. Nobody on 90210 ever really got to do anything with real, interesting consequences that lasted longer than an episode or two.

Worse, in regard to Andrea's cheating storyline, was that the show made it "tit for tat" by having Jesse confess that he had cheated too.  Huh?  Of course that was off screen and seemed like a retcon of sorts so that Andrea wasn't the only "bad" one.  It was just wrong all around.

I always liked Andrea because she wasn't one of the "rich kids," nor full of herself, judgy and bitchy (yeah, looking at you, Kelly.)   She was also smarter than Brandon and could totally put him in his place (always a good thing.)  

I think having Andrea get pregnant, have the baby and keep it was the worst thing for her character.  Even outside of getting married, pregnancy and motherhood pushed her further outside The Gang.  Watching those episodes now, as an adult, I feel sad for fictional Andrea.  She was 18 or 19, had been in college for all of 3 or 4 months, living on her own the same time and here she is, pregnant and preparing to marry.  Ugh.  

One thing that always bugged me with regard to her getting married - - she and Jesse lived in a nice apartment (certainly far nicer than my first apartment) and we never really heard a mention of how they couldn't afford food, or to keep the power on, or even paying what should have been ridiculous bills for Hannah being in the hospital all summer.  Nothing.   Was Jesse making that much money tending bar?  Law school isn't cheap.  

Another thing, as many fellow posters have pointed out, is Andrea's sudden flip from journalism to pre-med.  It was stupid and made zero sense.  I think an episode or two prior to switching to premed, Andrea was freaking out (at the Peach Pit, of course) over injecting an orange that she was practicing on because she was going to have to give Grandma Rose insulin injections.  How does someone go from that to deciding to major in medicine?   And I'm pretty sure your first year in college you are taking basic requirements - - not premed stuff per se.  

Anyhow, if the show had kept Andrea in the journalism field, she could have had storylines with Josh Richland - - maybe even dated him, which would have driven Brandon crazy, which would have delighted me.  It would have kept her tied in with Brandon, much as the Blaze did in the high school years.  She would have been involved when Brandon eventually began writing for the Condor and maybe even she and Susan could have butted heads.   Maybe Andrea could have had something to do with the campus tv station, if she ventured into broadcasting or something like that.

I think she could have had a lot more to do than having a coffee in the student union or providing Brandon with info he was too lazy to discover himself or running around after some dopey doctor.  

Edited by psychoticstate
Because the Blaze and the Beat were not the same thing
  • Love 5

Totally agree that having Andrea drop journalism like that was dumb. Why?  What great story did they end up doing that they couldn’t have done with her pursuing journalism? None.  The only time it ever tied in with anything was when she was working in the lab with the animals and Brenda got involved with the animal rights group. I agree GC was one of the better actresses on the show. She did a good job with what she was given. My favorite moment of hers is when she tells off Mr. Myers after he tries to push her aside as editor. 

Anyway, I’m still enjoying all the promos coming out for the new show. Won’t be long now.

• Love 3

And continuing on the Andrea thread . . . 

High school would NEVER have dropped journalism because she had to give a bad review to someone she knew.  Never.   But of course she just so happened to get the card to review the Peach Pit (because there was clearly no other place to eat in LA) an of course it just so happened to be on an night when everything went wrong.   High school Andrea would have written up an accurate review of that night but probably mentioned that she had eaten at the Pit many, many times before and not had such issues.   Just such a stupid plot device.  

So I guess Andrea - - a freshman who got the lab job out of all the other students at CU -- had that lab job only during the time that Donna and Brenda found Rocky and when Brenda was arrested because it was never mentioned again.  

Too bad the show didn't have her working at the campus bookstore (seems more likely for a freshman) as that could have been another place The Gang could have hung out, and where Andrea could have been present, versus the Peach Pit and then the PPAD.   

@desertflower, you make an excellent point.  The crappy storylines Andrea was handed post-pregnancy and marriage could all have been done if she was still a journalism major.  So why the change?  Did the writers make that decision for reasons unknown before GC's pregnancy was incorporated into the series?  Did they have other storylines in mind for her that had to do with the medical field?  

And that brings to me another thought.  Had GC stayed on the show, and still been in the medical field, she could have shared the clinic storyline with Kelly.  Actually, the storyline would have made more sense for Andrea than Kelly since Kelly showed zero interest in anything medical.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

And continuing on the Andrea thread . . . 

High school would NEVER have dropped journalism because she had to give a bad review to someone she knew.  Never.   But of course she just so happened to get the card to review the Peach Pit (because there was clearly no other place to eat in LA) an of course it just so happened to be on an night when everything went wrong.   High school Andrea would have written up an accurate review of that night but probably mentioned that she had eaten at the Pit many, many times before and not had such issues.   Just such a stupid plot device.  

So I guess Andrea - - a freshman who got the lab job out of all the other students at CU -- had that lab job only during the time that Donna and Brenda found Rocky and when Brenda was arrested because it was never mentioned again.  

Too bad the show didn't have her working at the campus bookstore (seems more likely for a freshman) as that could have been another place The Gang could have hung out, and where Andrea could have been present, versus the Peach Pit and then the PPAD.   

@desertflower, you make an excellent point.  The crappy storylines Andrea was handed post-pregnancy and marriage could all have been done if she was still a journalism major.  So why the change?  Did the writers make that decision for reasons unknown before GC's pregnancy was incorporated into the series?  Did they have other storylines in mind for her that had to do with the medical field?  

And that brings to me another thought.  Had GC stayed on the show, and still been in the medical field, she could have shared the clinic storyline with Kelly.  Actually, the storyline would have made more sense for Andrea than Kelly since Kelly showed zero interest in anything medical.

Taking to the Seasons 4-7 thread.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, nkotb said:

I knew it was something beacy. 😉 

On topic, I thought the guy from "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger" was supposed to play Tori's love interest on the reboot. With the Deaner now signed on, unless they're doing a "Tori gets her revenge on Dean by cheating" storyline, I don't know where he'll fit in.

I missed where it was posted Dean was cast.  The MMISWD guy was brilliant for the crossover camp.  Dean's just looking for another paycheck.  I hate the way he calls her "Mama" and "TT."

On 7/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, desertflower said:

Ok, so yesterday or the day before I saw a clip on Instagram of some quick scenes from the new show. Tori and BAG were dancing at the Pit, a few other quick snippets, then at the the end Jennie and Jason were in bed, looking at the ceiling, and Jennie says “Wow!” Today I went back to look at it again and it’s gone. Poof. Maybe it was an IG story and that’s why it disappeared but I could’ve sworn it was a regular post. Maybe they weren’t supposed to share it yet!

I am still very curious how the new show will be, how they will handle Luke, etc. I am encouraged by some things Brian said in one of his podcasts, that they will indeed have scenes as their characters, and that they may even do some stand alone episodes as the characters. I think he said it would be towards the end or into season 2. 

Does anyone follow the 9021bro on Instagram? His name is Darren and he has been a die hard fan and collector for years. Apparently the cast invited him to appear in the new show. He posted some fun pictures with them. I thought that was awesome of them to include him. 

I follow the 90210bro guy.  He posts some great stuff and lots of photos I've never seen before.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2019 at 1:05 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

Is it wrong that those were some of my favorite eps? The cult, the fire, the coke, SWF Tara., all legendary. So silly and soapy but damn were they memorable! 

I loved these ridiculous episodes too. Kelly’s in a fire with a stalker. Kelly’s got a horrible burn on her neck. Kelly’s scar is miraculously gone. Yay she’s a model! 

• Love 1