Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: A Storm Is Brewin'

• Start Topic

Not much to say about that episode other than the standard doesn't seem to be very high so far.

So if they are bringing back past contestants as captains, are they going to have enough females?  Off the top of my head I can think of 6 who I think deserve it but then I think it will just be well she made it half way through the competition.

• Love 2

Not even worth lamenting the roller coaster judging any more. Not finished? You win! As usual, Dave was the voice of reason: "I'd be bummed with that."

None of the artists are standing out to me yet but it's early days. Seems like Peck and Nunez slammed most of the women. I didn't see what their problem was with the sternum piece; maybe it looked worse in person.

The female coaches are:

Spoiler

Nikki, Sarah Miller, Kelly Doty, Megan Jean, Katie McGowan, Duffy, Ryan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm starting to worry a bit about the quality of artists this season. Two episodes down and we've seen a couple of B+ tattoos at best. 

Hate to say it but I don't disagree with the judges. On principle, an unfinished tattoo shouldn't win. However, the quality of the competition was just so low. The underwater tattoo was definitely nice but didn't have a lot of wow factor which left the door open. 

Touching to see Dave tear up a bit when talking about mental health.

The jury of peers still makes no sense in a competition of this format. 

• Love 7

While it is good that the self eliminator took herself out when she was concerned about her health I find her departure a blessing. She was constantly complains and was legitimately in the bottom.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, 2727 said:

The female coaches are:

I think there are 2 or 3 there who aren't top tier and probably don't deserve it.  I thought Tattoo Baby might have been one of them

Hide contents
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, 2727 said:

Not even worth lamenting the roller coaster judging any more. Not finished? You win! As usual, Dave was the voice of reason: "I'd be bummed with that."

None of the artists are standing out to me yet but it's early days. Seems like Peck and Nunez slammed most of the women. I didn't see what their problem was with the sternum piece; maybe it looked worse in person.

The female coaches are:

Reveal spoiler

Nikki, Sarah Miller, Kelly Doty, Megan Jean, Katie McGowan, Duffy, Ryan.

I cannot believe they gave an unfinished piece the win. How many times have we heard Peck and Nunez - especially Nunez - go on and on about "We don't want you doing big pieces you can't finish; we want you doing smaller ones you can." But at the same time, I was also baffled they gave the men's team the win in the flash challenge; I thought Nunez was right that their piece breathed more, so maybe the men's looked better in person.

I also thought they were going to be judging the teams as a whole, since that was the determining factor on which returning judge to send forward - it seemed to me like the women did better overall and while I like Ryan, I thought Joey did a better job coaching his team. Alexis was a shit choice from the men to put in the bottom, that was 100% so they didn't have to sacrifice a guy down there; there were pieces worse than hers.

Does the Jury of Peers get a heads up on who is selected by the judges though? Because we've never actually seen an overlap, so maybe they did pick Elva, and then when the judges picked her too, they picked someone else. I did like that no one made her feel bad for going home, and I did think it was kind of Joey not to try and convince her to stay or make her feel bad about leaving, since that eliminated his chance to win money. I can think of a lot of former contestants who wouldn't have reacted the same way.  

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

But at the same time, I was also baffled they gave the men's team the win in the flash challenge;

I thought the women's flash art was so much better! The white outlines on the men's piece looked jarring and childish to me. Of course the outline-obsessed Peck and Nunez singled that aspect out for praise.

Dave looks like he may have gained a little weight this season, which is good. I've been fond of the guy since his stints on those I Love the 80s shows and of course Rock Star. Wish him well.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 8

I thought it was hilarious that the guy who said last week "Really, I don't have to do a watercolor background every time" managed to do one in a black & gray challenge. It looked like a terrible decision, but there it was!

• Love 3

I definitely thought the women's flash was better - it actually looked like a landscape painting, I thought it was beautiful.

I did groan when the ladies were saying the skull pick would show how the men were "really playing this game." How ludicrous - as if they had won the pick they wouldn't have done the same thing in reverse! That is one sentiment I'll never understand - the constant complaining about skull pickers being out to get someone when they would do the same thing if they were picking skulls. Just G D stupid. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I felt bad for Joey, because he lost on a voluntary self-elimination. 

Sure, she might have gone home, anyway, but I think she had a shot of staying because Big Jaz' piece looked like a prison tat.  Hers could be reworked to look a lot better, but I don't think anything short of a Tommy Helms cover up could save his.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 4
On 6/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, Charlesman said:

I thought it was hilarious that the guy who said last week "Really, I don't have to do a watercolor background every time" managed to do one in a black & gray challenge. It looked like a terrible decision, but there it was!

Wasn´t that the heart? I thought that was by far the worst tattoo. But the person I disliked the most went home so I was happy.