Type keyword(s) to search

Awards and Nominations

• Start Topic

Congratulations on Orange Is the New Black for doing so well at the Critics' Choice Awards! They won in the following categories:

Best Comedy Series

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Kate Mulgrew

Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series - Uzo Aduba

• Love 2
(edited)

Congratulations on Orange Is the New Black for doing so well at the Critics' Choice Awards! They won in the following categories:

Best Comedy Series

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Kate Mulgrew

Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series - Uzo Aduba

I"m happy OITNB is winning awards, but Uzo's win seems a little....what's the best word to describe it?   disingenuous, maybe.  It reminds me of when Heather Locklear was a "guest star" on Melrose Place -- every single episode for how many seasons?      

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1

Yeah I thought Uzo Aduba was a regular... I guess not?

Anyway she deserved the win, so did Kate

So this is a comedy show? I thought it was more drama even more than dramedy...

I don't think I laughed much anyone else? 

(edited)

Yeah I thought Uzo Aduba was a regular... I guess not?

Anyway she deserved the win, so did Kate

So this is a comedy show? I thought it was more drama even more than dramedy...

I don't think I laughed much anyone else? 

Orange's submission in the Comedy category here and at the Emmys is strategic. Netflix submitted the show as a Drama to the SAG awards and Golden Globes; it was shut out at the former and only received one nomination at the latter. Had it been campaigned as a comedy, I think it would have done much better. Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara are other dramatic shows that benefited from submitting as comedies. 

As for Uzo Aduba, these awards reflect the first season, for which she received guest billing. Then again, I believe Laverne Cox was also credited as a guest, and yet she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Huh. 

Edited by ThatsDarling

Orange's submission in the Comedy category here and at the Emmys is strategic. Netflix submitted the show as a Drama to the SAG awards and Golden Globes; it was shut out at the former and only received one nomination at the latter. Had it been campaigned as a comedy, I think it would have done much better. Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara are other dramatic shows that benefited from submitting as comedies. 

As for Uzo Aduba, these awards reflect the first season, for which she received guest billing. Then again, I believe Laverne Cox was also credited as a guest, and yet she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Huh.

I agree; much less competition in Comedy, especially considering the Breaking Bad/True Detective juggernaut. I think this particular awards show considered Season 2 though, since Fargo won for best miniseries.

(edited)

8 Emmy nominations in major categories for OITNB: Best comedy, best actress for Schilling [only rookie of the 6 nominees in that category], best supporting for Mulgrew, best guest for Lyonne [yaaaaay], Adubo [expected and deserved] and Cox [interesting!]  Also best direction for Jodie Foster and best screenplay for the pilot.

It also picked up additional nods in smaller categories--the only one I remember off the top of my head being best casting for a comedy.

ETA: I guess the final tally has Orange leading all comedies overall with 12 nominations!  Guess that genre switch was a good call.  Here's the complete list of nominations for the show:

http://www.emmys.com/shows/orange-new-black

Edited by bravelittletoaster
(edited)

I am really happy about all nods the show got this year, particularily Kate Mulgrew and Adubo.  To be honest, I am a little puzzled by the nominations for Laverne Cox and Natasha Lyonne. I love their characters and all, but I feel they (especially Ms.Cox) have had a reduced presence this year compared to some others.  I am somewhat disappointed that Samira Wiley and Lorraine Toussaint weren't recognized, since I felt they were standouts this year.

But otherwise, YES! Can't wait for the Emmy's!!!! YOU GO OiTNB!!!

Edited by HeySandyStrange
(edited)

This is Orange's first eligible year for the Emmys.  For season 1.  [That's why Wiley, Toussaint et al weren't nominated].

Natasha tells the NYT she thought she was being pranked when her manager called her to tell her about the nomination, but "for some reason" she believed Taylor when she called her to congratulate her:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/2014-emmy-nominations-natasha-lyonne/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

And Taylor's reaction:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/07/10/taylor-schilling-emmy-reaction/12474367/?AID=10709313&PID=3753211&SID=17189hw8lpblx

Cute.  I'm so happy for them, they all seem so excited.

ETA: Taylor talking to EW about her nomination:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/10/taylor-schilling-orange-is-the-new-black-emmy/?hootPostID=0f212265b9e36e9e321d281305f6e030

The cast celebrating adorably:

http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/the-orange-is-the-new-black-cast-toasts-their-emmy-noms

(edited)

I've just read the news. Twelve Emmy noms? Wow, well done show! Congratulation to everyone who got nominated.

Hoping for Schilling to win in the lead actress category because it would be so well deserved. It's a tough category to win though, what with Julia Louis-Dreyfus  competing, but I think if anyone can beat her it's definitely Schilling. She was just splendid in season 1. Aduba's and Kate Mulgrew's performances deserve some more recognition too.

Good luck to all the nominees.  

ETA. I forgot to mention earlier, the girl who plays Pennsatucky (I'm sorry I couldn't remember her name), she's been outstanding in season 1 and should've been nominated. Definitely snubbed, which is a shame.

Edited by Gusto
8 Emmy nominations in major categories for OITNB: Best comedy, best actress for Schilling [only rookie of the 6 nominees in that category], best supporting for Mulgrew, best guest for Lyonne [yaaaaay], Adubo [expected and deserved] and Cox [interesting!]  Also best direction for Jodie Foster and best screenplay for the pilot.

Oh, that makes me feel a bit better. I just read over the major categories and felt bad that so many were shut out; I just didn't realize that they were in the guest categories. All 5 actresses are so deserving. Can we have a 3-way tie for best guest? (Though if I had to choose, I'd pick Aduba. The depth and sadness and humor and heart she brings to Suzanne...really a once-in-a-generation type of acting feat.)

(edited)

I think Aduba is the front runner.  She was the only one of the three I saw most critics predicting for a nomination [though some did mention Laverne Cox as a dark horse in the race].  Most critics I've seen still think the Emmy is Julia Louis-Dreyfuss' to lose, and while I'm a fan and love Veep I kind of hope the voters are in the mood for some fresh blood.  The girl doing the live broadcast today for Yahoo who covers TV as her beat said she thought Taylor had the best chance to unseat her.

Netflix must be beside themselves.  31 nominations in all.  And Orange was grabbing most of the headlines in today's recaps alongside True Detective and Game of Thrones.  God it'd be really nice to knock off Modern Family for best comedy.  I loved it once but it's kind of gotten tired IMO.  Orange seems to have way more heat at the moment, but if anyone's immune to heat it's Emmy voters...

Nice interview here with Kate Mulgrew about her nomination:

http://www.eonline.com/news/558631/orange-is-the-new-black-s-kate-mulgrew-on-her-first-emmy-nomination-and-more-star-trek

Have you heard from your co-stars?

I've heard from everybody! [Laughs.] I'm so happy because I care about them so genuinely. Taylor Schilling and I are friends for now many years, I played her mother on Mercy. I quickly fell in love with Natasha Lyonne. I found Uzo Aduba to be one those extraordinarily singular actresses. Nobody on Earth could've created Crazy Eyes but that girl. To see her recognized in this way makes me very, very happy. And Laverne Cox bringing transgenderism to the fore in a manner that is both gracious and courageous and unprecedented is also very, very moving to me. I'm of an age now where I see how emboldened women have become, how confident they are now and it's liberating. It's marvelous.

God it'd be really nice to knock off Modern Family for best comedy.  I loved it once but it's kind of gotten tired IMO.

I really do not understand the category. OITNB is a better show than Modern Family; but it isn't a better comedy. I just don't see it as a comedy at all.

(edited)

I think I laugh more at Orange, especially season 1, than I have at Modern Family in a while.  The premium subscription services tend to turn out comedies that are less obviously half hour sitcoms IMO, so this line will only get blurrier I think.  Shameless ran as a comedy, too.  And Jenji said she always had this "problem" with Weeds.  I guess I'd call it a "dramedy," but that's not a category, so I'm happy for it to take its pick and bring a bit more gravitas to what has always felt like the weaker of the two major Emmy fields.  But then I also don't have much respect for traditional network sitcoms, most of which I think kind of suck outside of NBC's Thurs night lineup.

ETA: Actually there's a little interview with Jodie Foster about her nomination that touches a bit on her approach in re: the show's unique genre:

“As a director, dramedy is what I do,” Foster tells Deadline who adores Kohan’s unique sensibility for moving, bawdy comedy, “It’s not who I am as an actor. The genre requires a very specific skill in terms of recognizing what is quirky and perverse, and to be moved by it. The female prisoners on Orange Is The New Black have a very spiritual journey that’s so complex. They’re all soul-searching and they change through each other”.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/jodie-foster-directing-career-orange-is-the-new-black-emmy-win/

I'm so thrilled for the show and the cast for their nominations. I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed a show that was both popular with audiences and critically acclaimed. Like others I wonder how the comedy category will help/hinder OitNB. I haven't watched the Emmys in over a decade, but I do recall they seemed to be a conservative bunch. I wonder if this generation of voters would give a chance to a show that isn't the standard 30 minute laugh track farce.

(edited)

Couldn't be happier with all the nominanations. Taryn probably should have been included int that guest category but maybe he Academy thought having 4 of the six nominations from the same show a bit much so had to leave Taryn off the list. I have no doubt she was in the top ten of prospective nominees for that category,. there just has to be a cut off somewhere.

Orange is the top buzz among entertainment journalist re: the Emmys. this bodes well for all the nominee. It is possible Orange could totally sweep the comedy section this year. Wow that would be simply great.

Edited by OrangeCrush

I've just read the news. Twelve Emmy noms? Wow, well done show! Congratulation to everyone who got nominated.

Hoping for Schilling to win in the lead actress category because it would be so well deserved. It's a tough category to win though, what with Julia Louis-Dreyfus  competing, but I think if anyone can beat her it's definitely Schilling. She was just splendid in season 1. Aduba's and Kate Mulgrew's performances deserve some more recognition too.

Good luck to all the nominees.  

ETA. I forgot to mention earlier, the girl who plays Pennsatucky (I'm sorry I couldn't remember her name), she's been outstanding in season 1 and should've been nominated. Definitely snubbed, which is a shame.

Hope she wins..when I started watching the show I had no idea she was such a fine actress. I think she's great, can't imagine anyone else portraying Piper. Btw I'm happy with all the nominations..very well deserved!

• Love 1

My first exposure to Taylor Schilling was in that NBC show Mercy. I actually really enjoyed it, and thought Taylor played her part well.

I had read OITNB so when I heard she was playing Piper, I wasn't sure how I felt about it...but now she IS Piper.

The show definintely deserves all the nominations - they were pretty much the only thing I liked about the Emmy noms this year [grumble no Hannibal grumble].

• Love 2

I'm surprised to see this nominated as a comedy; I've never thought of it as such. The number of dramedies is ever on the rise, encompassing the entirety of human emotion as opposed to sitcoms or heavy, straight dramas. As Jodie Foster pointed out (see bravelittletoaster's post above) dramedy requires a specific skill and ought to be recognized separately -- even though the Emmys already have about a bajillion categories.

The closer it gets to the Emmy’s, the better I feel about OITNB making a really great showing this year. The show has had over a year to sink into the minds of the viewers and the launch of S2 was strategic by Netflix to say the least, smack in the middle of Emmy season!

I think the show has a really good chance of getting 8 of the 12 awards. I would give them more but that would mean multiple wins in the same category. It could happen - a 3 way tie in guest and a tie in editing but not likely.

I think Taylor’s chances become better and better the closer it gets to the deadline for vote submissions. Netflix is not sparing change in the promotion. Have you been around LA/Hollywood lately. Hard to turn a corner and not see Taylor’s face at every bus stop, on bill boards and just about every where Netflix can buy the space.

Dreyfus is her biggest competition. JLD has was back to back Emmy’s. I don’t think she will get a third. Think the voters will want to pass the accolade to a new face. That is why I think Taylor really has a great shot at winning.

I for one will be just crazy happy for her if this happens. Taylor has done a masterful job the character of Piper. Everyone- cast, the writers, the creator knows it. It is time for the Academy to honor it!

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Love 3

The closer it gets to the Emmy’s, the better I feel about OITNB making a really great showing this year. The show has had over a year to sink into the minds of the viewers and the launch of S2 was strategic by Netflix to say the least, smack in the middle of Emmy season!

I think the show has a really good chance of getting 8 of the 12 awards. I would give them more but that would mean multiple wins in the same category. It could happen - a 3 way tie in guest and a tie in editing but not likely.

I think Taylor’s chances become better and better the closer it gets to the deadline for vote submissions. Netflix is not sparing change in the promotion. Have you been around LA/Hollywood lately. Hard to turn a corner and not see Taylor’s face at every bus stop, on bill boards and just about every where Netflix can buy the space.

Dreyfus is her biggest competition. JLD has was back to back Emmy’s. I don’t think she will get a third. Think the voters will want to pass the accolade to a new face. That is why I think Taylor really has a great shot at winning.

I for one will be just crazy happy for her if this happens. Taylor has done a masterful job the character of Piper. Everyone- cast, the writers, the creator knows it. It is time for the Academy to honor it!

Highly hope she get the recognition she deserves. Definitely my fav performance on a tv series since long time. 

Edited by baky

From your lips to God's ears, OrangeCrush!  I have been happy to see how much promo Netflix is throwing Taylor's way, and I've seen some insiders/critics say they think she has the best shot of upsetting JLD.  She is great in Veep, but a threepeat's kind of boring IMO.  I hope the voters want to mix things up a bit this year.

Small confession here, I will always pull for Amy Poehler to win the lead actress Emmy until she does (because Leslie Knope and Parks and Rec are everything that is right in this world), so I can't root for Taylor outright.  I will, however, put in a vote for her above Julia, because I believe in sharing the wealth.  I loved Candice Bergen in Murphy Brown, but even I got tired of her winning year after year.

I see Laverne Cox as a potential darkhorse in her race.  Honestly, I'm rooting for that because it would be an historic and important victory for transgender folks .  And the role merits an award.  I like when history meets merit. In ways we can't imagine, her winning would simultaneously rattle the whole world and also give some balance/footing to those who look up to her and need someone like her to get a win so that they can get more grounding for their own experiences.

Does anyone know what episode she submitted?  I'm assuming it is the one which explored her transition [Edit:  I initially said transformation, it has been suggested that the proper term would be "transition", if I'm still wrong, let me know, I want to get this right].  How fascinating if she were to win an Emmy when her brother played her character for part of the role.

Lots of folks think that this is Mulgrew's to lose.  I don't know, but I do know I would vote for her without hesitation for every award for season 2 for this line alone (regarding the older ladies' attempt to take out Vee):  "Step one, pick a person to kill. Step two, kill THAT person"

Edited by pennben
I see Laverne Cox as a potential darkhorse in her race.  Honestly, I'm rooting for that because it would be an historic and important victory for transgender folks .  And the role merits an award.

Have to disagree. I never thought Lavern Cox deserved a nomination. Yael Stone, Taryn Manning  and Daneille Brooks gave much better all around performances than Cox. I think she was given the nomination specifically because she is a transgender actor and nothing more. What in her performance was so much better that she deserved a nomination over Manning, Stone or  Brooks  or several other cast members for that matter.

Personally Cox is so over the top with her exaggerated drag persona it borders on being annoying. The girl just tries way to had to be a woman!

Laverne Cox is a woman.

I didn’t question her gender but now that you have mention it, granted she has physically transformed herself into a woman but it doesn’t change her genes or chromosomes. How she perceives herself and how she is perceived are two very different points of view. My annoyance is with is strictly one from a personal observation. I think she looks and acts like a drag queen.

It doesn’t change my opinion that there were members of that cast far more deserving of an Emmy nomination that Lavern Cox. Her performance was not special.

I tend to agree that the cast was really talented.  I think it would be interesting to debate if her performance was up to par.  However, everything else about this:

I didn’t question her gender but now that you have mention it, granted she has physically transformed herself into a woman but it doesn’t change her genes or chromosomes.

Unless we're geneticists, this is irrelevant. What do we know about the DNA of any other actor? Laverne has spent a considerable amount of her life convincing people of who she is and I have a hard time relating to that.  I was lucky enough to have my identity at birth.

How she perceives herself and how she is perceived are two very different points of view.

Perception v. Reality is a standard we all bear.  It has nothing to do with Laverne's gender.

• Love 3

Have to disagree. I never thought Lavern Cox deserved a nomination. Yael Stone, Taryn Manning  and Daneille Brooks gave much better all around performances than Cox. I think she was given the nomination specifically because she is a transgender actor and nothing more. What in her performance was so much better that she deserved a nomination over Manning, Stone or  Brooks  or several other cast members for that matter.

Personally Cox is so over the top with her exaggerated drag persona it borders on being annoying. The girl just tries way to had to be a woman!

I agree. Yael or Taryn deserved a nomination

I feel lucky anytime they actually recognize something or something I think is truly deserving of the honor. Their history of over-awarding some and completely ignoring others has just made me apathetic about them in general.

I agree. The Emmys and other awards really just seem to be publicity-generating machines for whatever the 'it' show of the moment is, they've never really been about rewarding the best of anything IMO. And the sheer self-indulgence of it all makes me pretty apathetic about awards as well. 

Anyway, the publicity aspect of it is what makes me think that in the guest actor category, Uzo Aduba has the best chance of winning out of the OITNB nominees. A year ago it was all Crazy Eyes, all the time, and that's barely let up. Laverne Cox has a chance too. Much as I adore Nicky, I doubt Natasha Lyonne will win; she hasn't been quite as front-and-centre publicity wise, as some of the other actors. 

I agree. Yael or Taryn deserved a nomination

These are for season 1, though.  I'd definitely argue Yael deserves a nod next year for season 2 [and I think they'll submit her], but I don't remember her doing anything last year that warranted an Emmy nomination.  I mean, she was great, but not Emmy nominated great.  Not through any fault of her own, but because she didn't have that kind of material to work with in season 1.

I kind of agree that Laverne Cox's nomination is a bit of tokenism but she WAS really good in her flashback episode so it's not a huge stretch to me.  I see a lot of people saying it should have gone to Manning instead, but frankly Manning's kind of just playing a slightly more cartoonish version of herself.  Tucky's not much of a stretch for her.

• Love 1

Note from the mods: posters have every right to question and debate who was and wasn't nominated in the cast and their reasons why they feel this way, however, any comments that use sexist, homophobic, transphobic et. al. terminology to argue your point will be deleted on sight from this point on. Thank you.

• Love 3

These are for season 1, though.  I'd definitely argue Yael deserves a nod next year for season 2 [and I think they'll submit her], but I don't remember her doing anything last year that warranted an Emmy nomination.  I mean, she was great, but not Emmy nominated great.  Not through any fault of her own, but because she didn't have that kind of material to work with in season 1.

I kind of agree that Laverne Cox's nomination is a bit of tokenism but she WAS really good in her flashback episode so it's not a huge stretch to me.  I see a lot of people saying it should have gone to Manning instead, but frankly Manning's kind of just playing a slightly more cartoonish version of herself.  Tucky's not much of a stretch for her.

You're right..in S1 there's no remarkable scene involving Yael :/ but she def. deserves a nom for s2...her episode was one of the best this season

I kind of agree that Laverne Cox's nomination is a bit of tokenism but she WAS really good in her flashback episode so it's not a huge stretch to me.

EXCEPT, that wasn't Laverne Cox in the flashback. It was her brother! Was there a big disclaimer on the submission DVD  - NOTE: The part of Sophia in the flashback is played by her twin brother. Not Laverne Cox.

Bet there wasn't. If there is no disclaimer or note about the stand in of the brother doing that part of the character, it is simply being decietful! If Cox does win, is she planning to cut the statue in half and give half to her brother who pulled most of the weight in that eposiode not Cox!

EXCEPT, that wasn't Laverne Cox in the flashback. It was her brother!

In, like, two scenes.  lol I can tell them apart, it's not that hard.  I meant that I thought her performance was good in that episode.  As for a disclaimer, I think as long as the academy voters aren't legally blind they're gonna be ok.  It was clearly a different person.  I was surprised to later learn it was her biological twin, but obviously they'd gotten a male actor to stand in for her.

• Love 2

Vox weighs in on the Emmys race:

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/11/5992231/emmy-nominees-submissions-tapes-bryan-cranston-matthew-mcconaughey-tv

Best Comedy Series
Who chose well: This category is a huge battle this year, with four shows that have genuine shots at winning. But of the four, Orange Is the New Black did the best job of choosing six episodes that will work both to convey the show's epic sweep while also standing alone as interesting episodes of television. If there's a concern here, it's that the episodes (which include such events as the protagonist being placed in solitary and a shockingly bloody finale) will perhaps make voters wonder why the show wasn't submitted in the drama category. But, then, many viewers at home will be wondering that, too.
Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Who chose well: With Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Taylor Schilling in this category, Amy Poehler probably can't win, but she found an episode that reminds viewers why so many of them liked Leslie Knope in a Parks & Recreation season that didn't always know how to use that character well. Had Louis-Dreyfus or Schilling screwed up their submissions (they didn't), she'd have an outside shot.
  • Love 2

The creative arts Emmys (ie, the less prominent categories) were held tonight, and Orange picked up three, winning in all the categories in which it was competing: casting for Jennifer Euston, editing, and guest actress for Uzo (Laverne and Natasha were also nominated, and the three presented an award together, adorably.)

Sweeping in its categories tonight could be a decent indication that the voters are feeling Orange next week in the bigger categories too.

Everything I read says Taylor's an outside chance, but the best bet for unseating the [basically] #1 seed Julia Louis-Dreyfus.  And they also tend to say it depends on how big the wave of support for Orange is.  So far, so good, with it picking up Emmys last night in every category in which it was nominated.  Also a couple of critics have said the acting block in particular at the Academy seems high on Orange, which would bode well for Taylor and Kate.  I think there's no shame in losing to the frontrunner or Amy Poehler were she finally to get her overdue Emmy, but it'd be great to see Taylor get this.  I think she really elevates the role and doesn't get enough credit for basically playing straight man to most of the prison [no one ever appreciates the straight man, and they're the linchpin holding it all together.]

• Love 5

Woo-Hoo! Huge congrats to Uzo, so well deserved. She's undoubtedly done some incredible things with this role, what a talent.

Love that they won the Emmys for the Casting and Editing as well. It's clear they have their momentum which makes me feel much more optimistic about their other noms. *fingers crossed*

So, am I right in thinking that the only Emmy OITNB got was Uzo's? Bummer. Though I'm not terribly surprised, just because of the whole comedy vs drama issue -- the show and its actors don't really fit into neat categories. 

Edited by Pimms

So, am I right in thinking that the only Emmy OITNB got was Uzo's? Bummer. Though I'm not terribly surprised, just because of the whole comedy vs drama issue -- the show and its actors don't really fit into neat categories. 

It also won an Emmy for casting.

Netflix and the producers went what they assumed would be the less competitive route, and lost big time. HBO gambled similarly in going more competitive in hopes of snagging a load of prestigious awards in the drama categories for True Detective (and freeing up the cast of The Normal Heart, who everyone assumed would then sweep the movie/miniseries categories), and nearly went home empty handed too. 

Orange was submitted as a drama to both the Golden Globes and SAG awards, earning one unsuccessful nomination at the former and zero at the latter. I'm disappointed that the show missed out on the big awards, but I don't think it would have been up for them were it categorized as a drama. 

Oh, I should have made it clear -- I agree that this show is 100% a drama, albeit with significant comedic elements. But I also know that in a category with Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones etc, OITNB doesn't stand a chance of winning much or even getting nominated, as ThatsDarling pointed out. (I also wonder how this will shake out for next year, in relation to season 2 -- screentime was shared around a lot more this season, and I imagine the actors would find it difficult to find one episode to showcase their work, especially if they submit again in comedy. The most significant screen time for any one actor/character tended to be in flashbacks, which were usually quite dramatic.)

I'll also admit that I'm not sure what criteria Emmy voters actually use with these things -- when voting for Best Comedy, is it just what they found the most consistently funny, or which one is actually the best show in terms of all-round entertainment? It seems like the Emmys always go to conservative choices anyway. Modern Family? Jim Parsons? Okay, then.