Type keyword(s) to search

B99 In The News

• Start Topic

Bad, it now conflicts with Shield so I won't be watching live (not that it matter much).  The good is after 7:30 I'm done with shows for Sunday night.  

Moving the show back to it's old night where it didn't do great is kind of bad, but considering how much of a mess Fox is, I kind of doubt there's any chance of the show getting canceled.

Edited by Matt K

I think it's bad.

B99 is not owned by Fox.  And like the Mindy Project, it can be canned before season 4 (despite syndication opportunities after 88 episodes) because of it.  So if B99 and a bunch of shows aren't doing well, I think it's more likely that they'll cancel it over shows they do own.

Tuesday's right now are already are a graveyard for Fox re: ratings.  And being sandwiched between Grandfathered and The Grinder (getting 1.0 and subfractional ratings atm), I'm not really hopeful.  At least on Sunday's it got a little boost from football and The Simpson's before it.

I dunno. I'm really sad about this.  Mostly because I think the show deserves a lot of seasons and I don't think it will get them.  But who knows, maybe it will defy expectations.

• Love 1

I haven't watched Grandfathered, but The Grinder is pretty good. Sorry to hear it's not doing well ratingswise.  I always record B99 and watch it later with my husband, so the day of week doesn't affect me personally.  I'll be sad, however, is this ends up being a ploy to justify cancelation.

The sooner someone comes up with a reliable alternative to the ridiculously outdated ratings system, the better all of television will be for it.

The Grinder is the second funniest network sitcom to debut since the first season of Modern Family, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the funniest. That they don't get anywhere near the ratings of the CBS garbage heap is an absolute travesty. But I think Brooklyn Nine-Nine would be a prime candidate for a Netflix/Amazon style acquisition if Fox do cancel it.

But in this case, I prefer to think that Fox are trying to maximise what they have by putting their strongest comedy into a block with others that need help.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Yeah, I do think this is Fox's way of trying to help two other shows, rather than hurt B99.  I keep thinking back to the fact that they had Andy host the Emmys - you don't choose someone on your network to do that, and be the defacto face of that network, if you're planing on either burying or canceling the show.    

• Love 1

Yeah, I do think this is Fox's way of trying to help two other shows, rather than hurt B99.  I keep thinking back to the fact that they had Andy host the Emmys - you don't choose someone on your network to do that, and be the defacto face of that network, if you're planing on either burying or canceling the show.    

Good point with Samberg hosting the Emmys. His star is absolutely on the rise, with that and the HBO movie he did and a couple of movies in the pipeline. It would be very shortsighted to cancel his show and watch him go somewhere else. Plus, they clearly like The Grinder, giving it a full season order. It's easy to be suspicious of Fox, after some of the shit they've pulled over the years (and it's not like they're NBC, sticking with low-rating but critically acclaimed shows), but I think they believe in these shows, and are trying to put them in the best position to succeed.

• Love 1

That's a great point.  I think Fox assumes B99 has a base audience and hopefully it can boost some of the other shows.  And I think while Fox seems to like Andy (I think he was the one who convinced the network to take on the show; and I think he/The Lonely Island were developing some animation stuff for Fox too?  Not sure), ultimately it's still a business and they'll cut things if it's not worth it for them.  But hopefully some of these other factors can balance all that out!  It's sort of comforting that 98% of Fox's shows aren't doing well at all so they can't get rid of everything!

Edited by evesix

Jake's mom will be appearing.  Interesting casting.

Huh. Not how I ever imagined Jake's mother, but... this works.

Now we just need to see Amy's family. I mean seriously, we've met people from the lives of every other character on the show except Rosa, who it is fully in character for to keep her family life a long way away from the precinct.

I think the writers have already said they don't plan to write Melissa's pregnancy into the show (phew), so it'll be a case of watching them artfully (and hopefully with a wink to the audience) hiding her growing belly as the episodes go on. I just hope this doesn't mean less Amy, though, because I already feel like there's been a lack of her in too many episodes this season.

If they're not writing the pregnancy in, they'll probably be able to just hide it with large blazers because they'll probably be wrapped for the season before Melissa gets really big.

Now we just need to see Amy's family. I mean seriously, we've met people from the lives of every other character on the show except Rosa, who it is fully in character for to keep her family life a long way away from the precinct.

Actually, we did see a flash of Rosa's family in a Thanksgiving or Christmas episode -- I think they were playing charades?

Hitchcock and Scully remain family-less.  I'm not sure if they don't have family, or if we just haven't seen them.

• Love 1

You can actually see her looking larger in recent episodes, I said it a few weeks ago before she tweeted about her shower.

Yeah, when I saw the thing about the baby shower my first thought was "I knew it!" I was glad it wasn't just my imagination that she'd got, well, bustier, since last season.

Really looking forward to seeing Katey Sagal as Jake's mother. That could be great.

You can actually see her looking larger in recent episodes, I said it a few weeks ago before she tweeted about her shower.

I noticed it during this past episode when they had her in that dress and she was dancing with Terry.    I thought the dress looked so weird, and she seemed surprisingly wide across the abdomen, for such a slim woman.  Now I know why.   I am so glad they are not writing her pregnancy into the show!

Hitchcock and Scully remain family-less.  I'm not sure if they don't have family, or if we just haven't seen them.

I don't really count them as characters, to be honest. They're more like the precinct's wacky background. Cartoon characters who have no depth, and aren't intended to. But I'm grumpy that Amy, my favourite character, has been so short-changed when it comes to life outside the precinct.

I noticed it during this past episode when they had her in that dress and she was dancing with Terry.    I thought the dress looked so weird, and she seemed surprisingly wide across the abdomen, for such a slim woman.  Now I know why.   I am so glad they are not writing her pregnancy into the show!

I agree and I too immediately noticed it. Usually I am totally blind to pregnant actresses on TV. They could have put her in a better outfit to disguise it better, even adding a cardigan would have helped. 

Bad, it now conflicts with Shield so I won't be watching live

I read this about three times as The Shield and thought I'd time warped back 20 years.

Andy Samberg was great and such a fanboy on Ellen Degeneres. And kudos to her for saying he should host the Emmys every year.

Edited by mansonlamps

I'm worried that the show moving to Tuesday is going to hurt it. It blows that it's going up against Shield and I'm hoping that they did enough advertising that people will know it's moved. Fox should have just left it as is.

I think so too. Last night's ratings, where Fox aired new shows instead hoping to take advantage of The Simpson's decent ratings I guess, didn't pan out so well.  I think it's a mistake all around because B99 really did seem to fit better on Sunday.  Maybe if the new Sunday shows really do bomb, they'll move it back.

• Love 2

FWIW, they are doing a lot of advertising about the time change. They're promoting the whole line up, including B99, and I think that shows they do have some level of commitment to it, because usually shows this old don't get equal promotion with the new shows being launched (not that any of the Tues shows are new, but they are getting a lot of promotion). I have no idea whether it will work or not, but I'm looking forward to new episodes either way. I do think, personally, that it didn't really make sense to pair a show with live actors with animated offerings. I never watched any of the stuff they paired it with on Sundays, but will probably watch the entire new Tuesday line up. So maybe other people are like me and that's why they're making the change.

• Love 2

I never watched any of the stuff they paired it with on Sundays, but will probably watch the entire new Tuesday line up. So maybe other people are like me and that's why they're making the change.

The new Tuesday lineup is made up of the only 4 comedies I watch. So nope, not just you. (And I would probably have dropped Grandfathered if they hadn't done this - inertia will keep it in my lineup).

Just saw a Tuesday promo running in the middle of the day on Esquire, and they did good job. It's such a fun show, I hope the advertising is effective.

Can't wait to see what looks like Holt in a dance-off!

Charles: "Do you think that will work?" Jake: I don't just think it will. I know it might!"

Edited by snarktini

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I watched Tuesday's Grinder and was dismayed to see that my DVR recording of that show picked the very end of the B99 episode that preceded it. Blergh.  Here's hoping it's also on the end of the B99 recording (I had previously set those to go one minute past the scheduled ending time.)