Type keyword(s) to search

B99 In The News

• Start Topic

Is Sunday after The Simpsons a good time slot or bad?  It seems like a bad move for them based on the above.

Can somebody who knows about this stuff can enlighten the rest of us?

1.  Why was this moved from Tuesday to Sunday?  What does that say about the network's belief in the show?

2.  Is the show doomed now in this new timeslot?

Is Sunday after The Simpsons a good time slot or bad?  It seems like a bad move for them based on the above.

Can somebody who knows about this stuff can enlighten the rest of us?

1.  Why was this moved from Tuesday to Sunday?  What does that say about the network's belief in the show?

2.  Is the show doomed now in this new timeslot?

You know, even though I hate that the show was moved to Sundays, I do think this is Fox's way of showing confidence - I think they thought they were doing them a solid by putting it on after The Simpsons.  The fact that it got the post-Super Bowl slot last year means that I think Fox has confidence in it.  

I'm hoping that since Utopia is just TANKING that B99 will make the move back to Tuesdays.

I gave a lot of color to that topic in the media thread.  I was just about to post an update on the ratings for this episode.

The drop from 2.6 to 1.6 isn't terrible news. Both of the other shows around it dropped A LOT more.  The Simpsons dropped by two whole points to 2.0 and the Family Guy dropped by even more to 1.9. So you could say that B99 did a really good job of keeping up with the ratings of the shows around it, which are essentially two of the three or four best rated scripted shows on FOX.

Football obviously dominates the ratings on Sunday Night, and B99 at 8:30 is in direct competition with the actual start of the games.  I'm not sure what Once Upon a Time is, but that 3.1 is a really good number and is apparently higher than it got last year due to some sort of Frozen connection.

Edited by JTMacc99

Yup, Disney made a good play with Once Upon at Time by putting a Frozen plot into this season, it's starting off strong, it will be interesting to see if it has the legs. Once Upon a Time also benefits in that it's not going to draw the same time of crowd as football.

With respect to this episode's rating (and Fox Sunday Night on the whole) I wonder how much is driven by having a lead in from the late afternoon game. Fox and CBS trade weeks where they get to air two games, last week was Fox's week, this week was CBS's. Most often if the network only has one show it shows the 1:00pm Eastern Game to most markets, meaning they don't get the same lead in, in theory.

I switched from last night's game to watch B99 because I was footballed out for the weekend and needed my laughs. I'll see how long that stays true.

Regarding the ratings drop and football, Fox did not have the late afternoon national game this week, so there was no football audience lead-in, plus the NBC Sunday night game (Patriots-Bengals) that was on against B99 probably benefitted from the heavy media coverage of the Pats and Tom Brady's on-field troubles this season. I'm not a fan of the switch to Sunday night myself, at least not during football season, but that's what DVRs are for.

Regarding the ratings drop and football, Fox did not have the late afternoon national game this week, so there was no football audience lead-in, plus the NBC Sunday night game (Patriots-Bengals) that was on against B99 probably benefitted from the heavy media coverage of the Pats and Tom Brady's on-field troubles this season. I'm not a fan of the switch to Sunday night myself, at least not during football season, but that's what DVRs are for

Last week had the football game running all the way up to the start of the Simpsons, and it also had weeks of promotions for both the Simpsons and Family Guy going for it.

The fact that Brooklyn 99 dropped less than half of the ratings points that the other two did means that this show held its core audience from last week and maybe even picked up some who checked it out last week. 

I do think that during the weeks when FOX has a good late game rolling into it, this show could pick up some more viewers.  The thing we should be looking for is for B99 to get up to about even with the two shows around it, which I think would make FOX pretty darn happy.

• Love 1

Looks like we'll be meeting more family members this season: Sandra Bernhard is going to be Gina's mom, and Stephen Root is going to be Boyle's father.  Really excited for Root; he's one of my favorite character actors, and I think he and Joe Lo Truglio will be hilarious together.  I hope we get more; I really want to meet one or two (or all!) of Amy's brothers and someone from Rosa's family.  Oh, and Holt's mom... I mean, "Your Honor."

• Love 2

I'm all for this Sunday move if it means the network has comfortably moderate expectations for how well B99 will fare against football. I'm a football fan, but I'm a bigger Brooklyn Nine-Nine fan and would follow it to pretty much any time slot. Humor is so subjective (I'm in a small minority who don't find Modern Family or even Parks and Rec funny!), but there's something so lovable, warm and engaging about this show that I think would appeal to at least a slightly wider audience than it currently has. And the more you watch this show, the more amusing it is since so much of the humor stems from the characters' foibles and their relationships with one another. I've been urging (read: forcing) a couple of friends to check it out, and they claimed they loved last week's episode and are going to keep watching. Or maybe they're just saying that to shut me up :)

Are there any Canadians who can explain what the fuck City is doing with the scheduling? I am so furious with City - they randomly pulled Parks & Recs and Community mid season last year and now they are fucking around with B99 TWO EPISODES into the season. ARGH! This is why people download illegally!!!!!!

Sorry... I'm a little rage-y right now.

• Love 1

I don't know what OTA is.  I don't have a TV, I watch everything online and I try very hard to watch things legally -- so normally I would watch on CityTV.com.  But they haven't aired the third episode and B99 isn't on the schedule for the next two weeks.  I Tweeted at them and they said "the fans will be the first to know", which basically means they have no fucking clue.

[From the ISPIS thread:]

Geez, what is up with A[lan] S[epinwall] lately?  Seems like he's so overwhelmed by his Sunday viewing responsibilities that he can't relax and enjoy a good laugh any more.  :-(

He has his tastes and preferences like the rest of us, and it's right that his writing should express them. But he does have one consistent viewpoint (and he reiterates it explicitly in this review) that I don't share: "If I've gotten tired of a particular performer's shtick in one series, then I will continue to find it tiresome in all his appearances thereafter, to the point of wrecking the episode." I don't feel that way (actors start with a blank slate for me in each new role), and more specifically I don't think that Ed Helms as Jack Danger was just doing what he's done before -- it felt like a fresh characterization to me. Nor do I agree with AS that "ISPIS" was like early Season 1 in the way Jake went off on his own in handling a case, and I give my reasons why I found it different in the episode thread. So my feelings about the episode were almost the opposite of his.

As for relaxing and enjoying a good laugh: he seems to give New Girl a free pass week after week, because it makes him laugh. Like I said, we all have our own preferences....

• Love 3

He's a pretty fair guy, and that was a pretty fair assessment. He noted that he doesn't care for the role Helms played in this episode based on a personal bias, and therefore he didn't care for the entire episode.

I might actually feel the same way if I were tired of Helms, but I'm not.

And since I'm here, the ratings for the last two weeks were 2.2 on 11/16 and 1.5 on 11/23. 

On the 16th, Fox had the late football game. The Simpsons got a 3.0 and Family guy kept B99's 2.2.  The Sunday Night Football game at 8:30 pulled a 7.1, but that's for the entire game and not just the 8:30 half hour.

On the 23rd, CBS had the late football game and The Simpsons got a 1.5 and Family dropped to 1.2 off of B99's 1.5.  The Sunday Night Football game at 8:30 was 8.1, with the Cowboys/Giants being a particularly good (from a TV ratings standpoint) draw.

The show just got nominated for three NAACP Image award nominations.

Actor in a Comedy Series
Andre Braugher

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Terry Crews

Writing in a Comedy Series

Brigette Munoz-Liebowitz – “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” – Road Trip

That was an interesting choice for the Writing category. I feel like there were some possibly stronger episodes that could have been submitted.

• Love 1

B99 also snagged a SAG Award nomination for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series.  The other nominated series are: The Big Bang Theory (watched once; the laugh track gave me a headache), Modern Family (no longer watch; played out, IMO), Orange Is the New Black (watched one episode; not a comedy, IMO), and VEEP (have watched a few times; good cast).

• Love 1

That was an interesting choice for the Writing category. I feel like there were some possibly stronger episodes that could have been submitted.

Which episodes would you guys have submitted?! 

Glad the show got an ensemble nod, but I'm bummed that grouping all the comedy actors and actresses into just two categories (no Lead or Supporting separation), prevented anyone single nominations.  Still, I would have put Andre Braugher over a couple of those guys.  Still, congrats to the group.  I'm pulling for them, although if they don't make it, I'm rooting next for Orange is the New Black, just to see if they can fit that entire cast on state (seriously, that list is huge!)  Of course, it probably means it's going to go to something like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family.

Which episodes would you guys have submitted?!

While I personally loved "Road Trip", assuming they only options were second season episodes, I might have slightly preferred "The Mole."  But, I can see arguments for various episodes.  Except "Lockdown."  Still don't care for that one.

The show just got nominated for three NAACP Image award nominations.

Actor in a Comedy Series

Andre Braugher

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Terry Crews

The NAACP Awards are for "people of colour" so the episode choice is probably limited by the identity of the primary writer.

(I'm assuming.  The website says "Established in 1967, at the height of the civil rights movement, the NAACP Image Awards is the nation's premier event celebrating the outstanding achievements and performances of people of color in the arts, as well as those individuals or groups who promote social justice through their creative endeavors." so either they are taking the show as a whole to be "promoting social justice through creative endeavours" or they are singling out a non-white writer for her achievement.

Shit, just reading the nominees, if you wanted a concise statement on the under-representation of people of colour in entertainment, LL Cool J is up for Best Actor in a Drama for NCIS: LA.  That's just sad.)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2

After watching Paul Sorvino on last night's episode of The Goldbergs, I'd love for this show to cast him to play off Holt (or Jake in some non-work fashion of having another Holt). The man plays comedy so seriously in a way that just makes me laugh. They'll need to retire the ongoing Munch storyline or it would be too much, though.

Mid season break, 11 episodes in, which are your tops?

1. The Mole (I seriously think this is the Emmy Nod episode; for the show and Braughter)

2. Undercover (STRONG season premiere)

3. The Jimmy Jab Games (Top performances from the whole cast with a lot of well done physical comedy)

4. The Pontiac Bandit Returns (I can't quit you Craig Robinson)

5. The Road Trip (Basically goes against every sitcom pitfall)

Looks like we will be meeting Jake's dad and he will be played by Bradley Whitford.  They done a great job at casting character's relatives so far, so I think Bradley will be good.  But, I"m still waiting for one of Amy's brothers and Holt's mom/"Your Honor."

I love Bradley Whitford, and while that's a left field choice to play Jake's dad, I can see it being really good. How high will he dial the smug, obnoxious dial?

I love Bradley Whitford, and while that's a left field choice to play Jake's dad, I can see it being really good. How high will he dial the smug, obnoxious dial?

I'm hoping for the level of when he was the head preppie frat boy in 1987's Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise which is the first thing I ever saw him in.

He can be seen seething in the audience in this clip probably thinking "I'll get those nerds!"

• Love 1

Time to celebrate!  Picked up for a third season!

Good news, everybody!

Fox must really like the show to renew it so soon, and I'm delighted they do. Given that it's won awards, garnered nothing but praise for its diverse casting, and is just freakin' hilarious, it's only good sense to keep it on the air. But this is Fox so... there's always that element of doubt.

• Love 2

It has also gotten considerably better ratings in its second season than in its first. Networks like that. Some credit is due to the new position on the Sunday schedule, about which so many here were concerned.

Glad to hear it.  I wish it weren't one of three shows that I want to see that are on at the same time, and I wish that I could record shows, and I wish F*X would let us watch on line the next day.  But bottom line, good ratings mean more episodes, so yay!

Not really, if anyone saw The Good Guys (and it seems unlikely considering the ratings it pulled in) that seems like inspired casting.  Bradley played a gung ho cop who loved being a cop just not actually following any procedures.  I could easily see him as Jake's dad. 

• Love 1