Type keyword(s) to search

B99 In The News

• Start Topic

Congratulations to Andre Braugher for winning Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series at the Critics' Choice Awards! He beat Keith David (Enlisted), Tony Hale (Veep), Albert Tsai (Trophy Wife), Christopher Evan Welch (Silicon Valley), and Jeremy Allen White (Shameless).

• Love 10

So, both Samberg and the interviewer in the first article say nobody's yet been shot. What about Boyle? I recall something about him getting shot in the ass. They did a whole episode on his return to the station. 

Congrats to Andre Braugher for getting an Emmy nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, but it sadly looks like the show was shut-out in all the other categories.  Bummer.  I was hoping it would get more love, but from what I can tell, it looks like Silicon Valley and Orange is the New Black got all the new show love in the comedy category.

• Love 1
(edited)

And no offense to Andre, but I think he got nominated on name recognition.  Stupid Emmy voters probably don't even watch the show. 

The continued fawning over Modern Family annoys me to no end.  I find that show unwatchable.

Edited by Inquisitionist

TBBT Theory and Modern Family still have a spot on my rotation, but they're becoming increasingly "laundry shows" (that is what I flip on while I'm doing something menial around the house such a folding laundry). I have no doubt that those shows have broader appeal, but based on this season alone I would have taken B99 over either.

The show emmy is  Veep's to lose I hope.

• Love 1

I can't seem to find the rules about DVD submissions by nominated performers for this year's Emmys, but I assume each nominee has to select one episode (maybe two for supporting).  So if you were André Braugher, which one episode would you submit to showcase your Best Supporting Actor chops? 

I can't seem to find the rules about DVD submissions by nominated performers for this year's Emmys, but I assume each nominee has to select one episode (maybe two for supporting). So if you were André Braugher, which one episode would you submit to showcase your Best Supporting Actor chops?

I'm guessing "Full Boyle", though "Christmas", "Operation: Broken Feather", "Tactical Village", and, of course, "The Party" are all possibilities.
(edited)

Zap2It.com is reporting some Season Two "scoops".

Schur jokes the show is going "super-dark" with Jake's undercover scenes: "We're going to make 'Law & Order: SVU' look like a cartoon," he says.

Why are they moving this to Sunday at 8:30 -- between Simpsons and Family Guy?  That seems like a bad call.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2
I can't seem to find the rules about DVD submissions by nominated performers for this year's Emmys, but I assume each nominee has to select one episode (maybe two for supporting).  So if you were André Braugher, which one episode would you submit to showcase your Best Supporting Actor chops?

They select one, and according to Gold Derby, he picked "Christmas", which seems like a good choice (i might have chosen "The Party" though).  However, my dark horse for the win is Jesse Tyler Ferguson, because he actually picked a really great episode (Message Received).  I am still surprised that with a relatively weak Best Actor in a Comedy category, Andy Samberg couldn't get a nomination, especially considering he won the Golden Globe.  Part of me wonders if they still think of him as the "Dick in the Box" guy and aren't ready to see him branch out as a comedy actor, which is a shame, because I think he does a great job on the show.

Why are they moving this to Sunday at 8:30 -- between Simpsons and Family Guy?  That seems like a bad call.

I really don't understand what Fox is doing with their Sunday lineup.  Right now, it's going to be Simpsons/B99/Family Guy/Mulaney, which makes no sense to me.  B99 and Mulaney should be paired, and they should have both on Tuesday with New Girl and The Mindy Project, since those all kind of go together.  I really fear for the ratings on Sunday.

• Love 1

I really don't understand what Fox is doing with their Sunday lineup.  Right now, it's going to be Simpsons/B99/Family Guy/Mulaney, which makes no sense to me.  B99 and Mulaney should be paired, and they should have both on Tuesday with New Girl and The Mindy Project, since those all kind of go together.  I really fear for the ratings on Sunday.

Agreed.  Hopefully if the ratings suffer the Golden Globe will be enough to prompt a scheduling change rather than a bubble order.

RE the scheduling change, the only thing I can think of is that (maybe) they think NG and MP are "female" shows and are going to pair them with other "female" shows, for a "Ladies Night on FOX!" campaign (I am barfing, so please don't think I endorse this strategy), and they think B99, Mulaney, Simpsons, and Family Guy are "Guy Shows" and want a Sunday Night Guys Night, as well.

For the alternating instead of grouping animation together, maybe the animated shows have higher ratings and they are actually hoping to boost ratings for B99 and Mulaney by giving them stronger lead ins, rather than grouping "two weak shows" back to back?

I personally find it highly annoying, because I watch NG, MP, B99, and will give Mulaney a chance, and I have no interst in The Simpsons or Family Guy, and also because Sunday nights are already too crowded. But if I had to guess what the execs are thinking, that'd be my guess.

• Love 1

For the alternating instead of grouping animation together, maybe the animated shows have higher ratings and they are actually hoping to boost ratings for B99 and Mulaney by giving them stronger lead ins, rather than grouping "two weak shows" back to back?

That's a pretty standard programming strategy. It's what NBC used to do years ago with its hit Thursday primetime lineup: Put the established shows on at the top of the hour, then sandwich less established shows in between, hoping that inertia will lead viewers to keep the channel on and keep watching between the two shows they wanted.

That's a pretty standard programming strategy. It's what NBC used to do years ago with its hit Thursday primetime lineup: Put the established shows on at the top of the hour, then sandwich less established shows in between, hoping that inertia will lead viewers to keep the channel on and keep watching between the two shows they wanted.

Is Simpsons still that solid in the ratings?

I mean, logically, I know they probably did the sandwiching because The Simpsons and Family Guy have held those timeslots for years, so they aren't going to change them now, I just think it's a dumb move on their part to place B99 and Mulaney where they did.  But I guess that's why Fox didn't consult me before they made their decision : )

B99 cast members will be guests on Top Chef Duels - don't yet know which week, but Andy Samberg, Melissa Fumero, Stephanie Beatriz, Chelsea Peretti, and producer Dan Goor will be featured.

I noticed for in our On-Demand section of cable for B99, they have a quick 8-minute recap of S1 (actually more of give a few seconds on each character). The also highlighted Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon Miller. I'm wondering if they will be promoted in the credits.

I noticed for in our On-Demand section of cable for B99, they have a quick 8-minute recap of S1 (actually more of give a few seconds on each character). The also highlighted Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon Miller. I'm wondering if they will be promoted in the credits.

They are promoted to regulars for season two, though I don't know how they'll work out the opening credits.

Is Simpsons still that solid in the ratings?

Yes. Family Guy as well.

TOP 10 COMEDIES IN ADULTS 18-49

1. The Big Bang Theory                            6.3/20

2. Modern Family                                     4.5/13

3. How I Met Your Mother                      4.2/12

4. 2 Broke Girls                                            3.2/09

5. Family Guy                                                       3.1/08

6. THE MILLERS                                                2.9/09

7. Two and a Half Men                             2.8/08

7. MIKE & MOLLY                                            2.8/07

8. New Girl                                                           2.7/07

9. The Simpsons                                                    2.7/07

Source: Nielsen, Most Current, (9/23/2013 - 4/13/2014)

Slotting this show between The Simpsons and Family Guy should NOT be a bad move for several reasons.  First, this is a really good show, and the people who turn on their TV for either of those shows will very likely enjoy this show. Second, during most of the fall, FOX has the ability to sell it during football and people really do watch FOX shows on Sunday night because they just finished watching football. Third, the FXX Simpsons marathon generated a huge amount of interest and triple the expected ratings last month. The new episodes will almost certainly get a bump from that event, which again provides a higher number of people who might show up at 8:00 and give this show a try at 8:30.

Or to put it another way, FOX dropped B99 into the sweetest spot in the schedule regardless of whether or not it fits exactly into the style of the two shows around it.  Here are numbers from last year:

FOX scripted shows 2013-14 18-49 demo Year-to-year change Viewers (mil) Year-to-year change

1 Sleepy Hollow (renewed)  2.60  7.46

2 Family Guy (renewed)  2.34 -13.26% 4.71 -13.18%

3 The Simpsons (renewed)  2.21 -11.14% 5.02 -7.24%

4 New Girl (renewed)  2.09 -9.02% 4.31 -2.16%

5 Almost Human (cancelled)  1.88  6.24

6 24: Live Another Day  1.76 -39.90% 6.33 -31.74%

7 The Following (renewed)  1.76 -33.05% 5.19 -34.84%

8 Brooklyn Nine... (renewed)  1.74  3.98

9 Bones (renewed)  1.72 -19.61% 6.61 -14.75%

10 American Dad! (renewed) * 1.64 -23.60% 3.37 -23.30%

11 Bob's Burgers (renewed)  1.47 -24.07% 3.17 -22.75%

12 Dads (cancelled)  1.39  3.50

13 The Mindy Project (renewed)  1.27 -18.99% 2.55 -16.65%

14 Glee (renewed)  1.22 -44.86% 3.28 -43.97%

15 Surviving Jack (cancelled)  1.13  4.30

16 Rake (cancelled)  0.75  3.11

17 Raising Hope (cancelled)  0.65 -59.09% 1.97 -47.85%

18 Enlisted (cancelled)  0.59  1.77

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

In case anybody is wondering, here are the ratings from Sunday night. 

The rating of 2.6 is the same number it premiered at for season one but is double the 1.3 it got for the season finale last year.  Both the Simpsons 3.9 and Family Guy 4.5 were also up significantly from where they left off at the end of last year. It was a good night for these shows, and I hope that a lot of the people who were tuning in to this show for the first time or first time in a while enjoyed it as much as I did and will stick around.

If it can keep a very large percentage of The Simpsons lead-in number, I think it can gain the following it deserves.

Edited by JTMacc99

In case anybody is wondering, here are the ratings from Sunday night. 

Wow, I do not understand those ratings -- the "lower rated" shows sometimes have more viewers???  I don't... please don't try to explain.  I'm in a place where I'm confused and I'm comfortable with that.

Wow, I do not understand those ratings -- the "lower rated" shows sometimes have more viewers???  I don't... please don't try to explain.  I'm in a place where I'm confused and I'm comfortable with that.

Ha! There is no question I will not try to answer with my limited knowledge of many things.

The little ratings numbers represent the important people to advertisers.  So 2.6 is the ratings score it got with viewers in the 18-49 age group.  The total number of viewers counts everybody, which includes the less valuable 50+ viewers.

It's actually not that confusing!

On the chart it shows that Once Upon a Time on ABC 7:00 PM got 1.6 rating with 5.49 million viewers.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine got a 2.6 rating with 5.46 million viewers.

What that means is that even though both shows had almost the exact same number of people watching it, a MUCH higher percentage of the 5.46 million viewers watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine were 18-49.  In turn, that means that advertisers are willing to pay a MUCH higher rate to be on Brooklyn Nine-Nine than on Once Upon a Time.

And of course, that is very good news for those of us who like this show and want them to keep making it.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2