Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Something Borrowed, Something New

• Start Topic

(edited)

Me thinks it is too hard to edit the show if the dress is bustled...unbustled leads to easier continuity....

MAFS has a history manipulating scenes, editing with a dull machete and totally creating bullshit nothingness to the level of comic proportions out of a glance, a turn of the head, an expletive so presenting situations out of order is done to support the story lines...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, humbleopinion said:

MAFS has a history manipulating scenes, editing with a dull machete and totally creating bullshit nothingness to the level of comic proportions out of a glance, a turn of the head, an expletive so presenting situations out of order is done to support the story lines...

Absolutely. And re: bustles being "a problem for MAFS editors": of course they are! MAFS producers and editors want 'the girls' to bounce around as much as possible

Referring back to some other comments: It's super-difficult to find a great, well-fitting wedding dress (off-the-rack) with less than 2 weeks' notice!! These women probably did the best they could.

Yes, MAFS could totally have paid for the necessary alterations -but that would give social media and website commentors one less thing to snark about. 

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 3

Does she work for her dad or did he get her a job where he works? Either way, I imagine there are coworkers looking at social media and nodding their heads at the comments. Can’t imagine what the jobs must be like with the two of them there. 

Elizabeth works for her father's company. I'd bet she hasn't ever worked anywhere else.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Elizabeth's "cute quirkiness" is not that at all. She even makes over the top Sam, with all the candles and  "cute quirkiness", seem somewhat normal.

I agree with whoever said Jamie looks like Seinfeld. I was trying to figure out who he looked like so thanks. I think Jerry Seinfeld, with a fuller face and a bald head, is spot on. Same eyes and big teeth. I also agree with whoever said Elizabeth is pushing 40. She's looking worse for wear. She saw 30 about 10 years ago. Jamie is going to be the third wheel in the relationship between Elizabeth and Daddy. Good luck, Jamie.

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, Matty said:

Jamie is going to be the third wheel in the relationship between Elizabeth and Daddy. Good luck, Jamie.

Make that fourth wheel if you include the mother. In fact, maybe mom’s position is looking up - now with Jamie she has someone to talk to!

• Love 5

Google  "Jerry Seinfeld smile" and click "images of Jerry Seinfeld"

Get ready to see image after image of why Jamie is the wider head, fatter, bald version of Mr. Stand Up Comedian...

You'll leave the page after about 20 images...overload...

5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Elizabeth works for her father's company. I'd bet she hasn't ever worked anywhere else.

Thanks. You’re probably right. Must be nice.

5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Big Red Chardonnay is an executive at Daddy's company...wanna bet their desks face each other...

You sure they don’t share one desk? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, aphroditewitch said:

Most of the previous cast members have struggled with even temporarily combining their life with someone they don't know.

I can’t blame them! I’ve been with my husband for 21 years now but we literally grew up together into adulthood. Try bringing someone else in my life, not a freaking chance. It’s absolutely a monumental task in my eyes

3 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Elizabeth works for her father's company. I'd bet she hasn't ever worked anywhere

The very definition of a Loser

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Matty said:

She saw 30 about 10 years ago

Hey that’s offensive to those of us who are 40! Can we make that “20 years ago” 🙂 

Edited by ShowFan
  • LOL 3
23 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I so do not see where they got 'southern gentleman' for Jamie.  And I can't remember if they said 'southern belle' for Elizabeth, but if they did, that is even more deluded.

Right here lol

Screenshot from 2019-06-23 20-42-10.png

And here hahaha

Screenshot from 2019-06-23 20-34-48.png

• LOL 3
On 6/23/2019 at 12:01 AM, LuvMyShows said:

I've read people's comments on this, but I actually think she was being genuine, not funny or cute.  There are people who poop/pee in front of their spouse, and I think she thinks that it's a sign of true no-holds-barred closeness, like she is looking forward to.

21 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don’t think Iris meant it as a metaphor - I think Keith needs to mentally prepare for seeing Iris on the toilet. Whatever the case, it definitely came across as completely tone deaf for place and time!

By my count Iris is the 3rd MAFS bride to look forward to this!  (Monet and Vanessa being 1 and 2.  Who can forget Tre's face as he asked the "expert":  'You mean using the restroom together?' 😂😂😂

12 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Referring back to some other comments: It's super-difficult to find a great, well-fitting wedding dress (off-the-rack) with less than 2 weeks' notice! These women probably did the best they could...

Still, MAFS could totally have paid for the necessary alterations -but that would give social media and website commentors one less thing to snark about!! 

It may be difficult, but here's what's easy - buying a strapless bra that fits!

11 hours ago, Matty said:

Elizabeth's "cute quirkiness" is not that at all. She even makes over the top Sam, with all the candles and  "cute quirkiness", seem somewhat normal.

Haha agree to disagree on this one! 😄 

• LOL 1
(edited)

For me the couple who are going to crash and burn the most easily and the quickest is hands down, deonna and greg.

My take on the couple is this....

Not even 5 mins into their first conversation, she tells greg that she hasnt been in a relationship for OVER 10 years. Yep OVER 10 years.

Then proceeds to say to greg not once but twice, " I feel the judgement ". Talk about starting out on the wrong foot. 

I seriously could not believe that she would get actually get mad at anyone for reacting to her in the same way greg did, as any normal rational person would be surprised AF to hear that.

She tells the " so called experts "  that her 1st boyfriend was her high school boyfriend.

Then he supposedly hurts her so badly that she then decides to swears off men and getting into any type of relationship for the next decade plus.

Fast forward to today, she is now 30 which means that from ages 20 or even 19 or earlier, thats when he broke her heart.

Once again she states that it was OVER 10 years ago, so she could have been 18 or 19 when whatever bad happened to her, not necessarily from only 20 to 30.

In any case, she has one relationship under her belt and thats the extent of her entire relationship experience/knowledge.

She then proceeds to jump straight into a blind marriage, stating that she is ready now for " the next step " after stating that she was " only dating herself " the past decade or even possibly longer.

Yeah ok darling, are you totally delusional? do you even know how to handle being in a bf/gf relationship, much less being in a full on blind marriage? I think not.

So yeah, I dont see that working out long term. no way. 1st one to crash and burn IMO.

Screenshot from 2019-06-23 21-15-21.png

And this . . .

Screenshot from 2019-06-23 21-17-19.png

Yes ladies and gentleman, NOT once but TWICE she said that to greg. 

Also put her hand up to greg when she said it too, how RUDE !!!

Edited by STRIDER1
typo
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, STRIDER1 said:

Yeah ok darling, are you totally delusional? do you even know how to handle being in a bf/gf relationship, much less being in a full on blind marriage? I think not.

So yeah, I dont see that working out long term. no way. 1st one to crash and burn IMO.

She says it then demands he "not make that face".  As if he's not allowed to react in a genuinely surprised manner.

It sounds like all of that self-dating hasn't prepared her for any normal relationship.

• Love 8

I honestly think Elizabeth is an alcoholic or she frequently mixes medication with alcohol.  No reason she just gives me the same vibes as Kim on RHOBH did.  Just unexplained weirdness, can't manage simple things in life, is often late,  and she looks rough.  Maybe she's just insane though.

I'm sure all the 8th grade boys in Amber's class have already passed around video of her with the stripper.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jack Sampson said:

She says it then demands he "not make that face".  As if he's not allowed to react in a genuinely surprised manner.

It sounds like all of that self-dating hasn't prepared her for any normal relationship.

Yes, thats exactly my point ! how rude  of her.

She apparently locked herself away in a cave this past decade and is now READY to conquer the world lol 😂

And on a separate side note, looks like its only Jack S and myself that are the only ones here that wants sexy smoking hot amanda hahaha 😍❤️❤️

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, topanga said:

And I can't decide if being too thirsty for your husband is a thing. I mean, you're married--you're not on a first date. So is it still possible to act too eager?

I'd say this depends on the husband you've got.  Some men appreciate the affection and will understand that it takes effort to keep you that interested.

If you have an entitled shithead (like this one who felts his parents owe it to him to stay together despite his being out of the house out of the country. to the degree that he's not speaking to them) it's wise to train him like a dog:

• Give him a kiss when he's a Good Boi (gets you a drink/offers you some of his food/compliments you/asks you to dance/pulls out your chair.)
  • Don't give him a kiss for smiling/breathing, or he'll think that's all it takes. 
  • Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:01 AM, Blissfool said:

I prefer subtle makeup too. Iris' wedding makeup was nice. She looked beautiful. Like a model. BUT, as the preview comes rolling around, we see her without makeup. She looked different. Still pretty, but different. 

A makeup artist once explained to us that some faces "can take a lot of makeup" - in other words, there are so many convex/concave areas that if an artist was inclined, they could change the person's entire face around if they apply a lot or use the wrong color choices.  The trick she said was to not fall for it and stop when enough was enough. That said, Iris... is gorgeous with and without makeup.  Her enthusiasm makes her more so.  Keith's a smooth-looking guy in the vein of Geoffrey Wright.

Full disclosure @Jack Sampson and @STRIDER1 - Teevee Wife Amanda struck me as a pain in the ass; the girl who only thinks someone is husband-material if they're already someone's husband.

Jamie is a tool, but matching him with Elizabeth seems extraordinarily cruel.  What do you hate? Racism, animal cruelty, ableism?  Nope!  People who show up a few minutes late to things.  Fuck off.  Full-BIC-head is a bold choice, but only works if you're either a) really jacked or b) really good-looking.  You're c) a man who gives you shit about having car trouble and looks like a walking peen shaft.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

This has been driving me a little crazy.  Deonna reminds both me and Mr LH of some actress, but we can't figure out who.  It's her look, but also her voice.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, lh25 said:

This has been driving me a little crazy.  Deonna reminds both me and Mr LH of some actress, but we can't figure out who.  It's her look, but also her voice.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Mindy Kaling?

13 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

I honestly took that scene as a joking/teasing type thing.  It was edited to look more serious, but I'm pretty sure his reaction to "don't make that face"  and "I feel judgement" was laughter.  It's the type of thing my friends would say to each other, so maybe it's cultural.   Deonna's 10 year dating gap is a big ole red flag, but I didn't think this scene was one.  

4 hours ago, lh25 said:

She reminds me of Naturi Naughton

• Love 2
On 6/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, Gem 10 said:

Some women are petrified of getting pregnant, so hold off.  Not everyone will use some sort of birth control or even think of abortion.

Yup, especially in their teens and even 20’s if they’re still in school. Also I know some nice and attractive women who are very much sexual but had no luck finding someone despite not being too picky. It’s not the norm, but it does occur. For me, depression, anxiety, and body image issues also played a part when I was younger. If you have a lot going on in your life, sex isn’t going to be a priority.  Sometimes if you’re deemed the pretty girl and know exactly why guys approach you, it’s more pressure to look a certain way. I’ve avoided relationships when I wasn’t comfortable getting naked in front of someone and/or didn’t like the way I look without my makeup. Those insecurities may be a problem on their own, but it didn’t mean that I’m too picky with men or not sexual. I just know how sexual and visual men are and what a lot of them expect. When I’m happy, healthy, and trust my partner, I’m as sexual as anyone and aim to please. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Drogo said:

Jamie is a tool, but matching him with Elizabeth seems extraordinarily cruel.  What do you hate? Racism, animal cruelty, ableism?  Nope!  People who show up a few minutes late to things.  Fuck off. 

Well, to be fair, that was a really weird time to be asking him what he "hates" (right after they met for the first time). I mean, it's kind of a given to hate the things you mention; I think he was trying to give insight to his personal pet peeves. What I think would have been hilarious is if he had said people who lack personal responsibility and don't own their shit; then cut to daddy paying her car registration.......

6 hours ago, Drogo said:

That said, Iris... is gorgeous with and without makeup. 

I agree. She is easily the most beautiful person ever cast on this show, and Keith is no slouch either.....

Speaking of Iris, I am going to weigh in on the virginity thing and am apologizing upfront if it's TMI.......I think it is 100% a religious choice for her; however, I do not think that means she is not/has not been sexually active in some way. When she said "technically a virgin", she qualified that as no penis insertion. That doesn't preclude other sexual activities. I understood exactly what she meant. I grew up in a Christian home where abstinence was preached on the regular starting with the teenage years. I was "technically" a virgin when I got married at 25, but that didn't mean I hadn't explored other "activities" prior to marriage including everything but the "insertion" aspect. In my circle growing up it was jokingly called "Christian Sex", and I think it's pretty common with Christian teens/young adults. Iris seemed like an experienced kisser at any rate. If Keith is as nice as he seems, I really hope this doesn't completely undo them because I like them separately and together and I really hope they can make it work.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Well, to be fair, that was a really weird time to be asking him what he "hates" (right after they met for the first time). I mean, it's kind of a given to hate the things you mention; I think he was trying to give insight to his personal pet peeves. What I think would have been hilarious is if he had said people who lack personal responsibility and don't own their shit; then cut to daddy paying her car registration.......

I agree. She is easily the most beautiful person ever cast on this show, and Keith is no slouch either.....

Speaking of Iris, I am going to weigh in on the virginity thing and am apologizing upfront if it's TMI.......I think it is 100% a religious choice for her; however, I do not think that means she is not/has not been sexually active in some way. When she said "technically a virgin", she qualified that as no penis insertion. That doesn't preclude other sexual activities. I understood exactly what she meant. I grew up in a Christian home where abstinence was preached on the regular starting with the teenage years. I was "technically" a virgin when I got married at 25, but that didn't mean I hadn't explored other "activities" prior to marriage including everything but the "insertion" aspect. In my circle growing up it was jokingly called "Christian Sex", and I think it's pretty common with Christian teens/young adults. Iris seemed like an experienced kisser at any rate. If Keith is as nice as he seems, I really hope this doesn't completely undo them because I like them separately and together and I really hope they can make it work.

Loved your post and it wasn’t TMI.  We are all friends here, and sometimes it’s good to share and get things off the chest.  Besides, we don’t know one another, other than here.  In my day, we called it “heavy petting”, and it was wonderful, especially if you were in love.  We weren’t complaining.  Wish I could have that time back again one more time.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Mindy Kaling?

18 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Sherri Shepard?

18 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

Octavia Spenser

17 hours ago, After7Only said:

Naturi Naughton

Thanks for the suggestions, none of them are who she reminds me of.  I'll probably think of it one morning at 2 AM.

• LOL 2
56 minutes ago, lh25 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, none of them are who she reminds me of.  I'll probably think of it one morning at 2 AM.

She reminds me a little of Vanessa Huxtable (Tempest Bledsoe's character on The Cosby Show)

Spoiler

who I remember because I had the biggest crush on her.2fe035c7d5a76dd56253be3f22e92189.jpg

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Loved your post and it wasn’t TMI.  We are all friends here, and sometimes it’s good to share and get things off the chest.  Besides, we don’t know one another, other than here.  In my day, we called it “heavy petting”, and it was wonderful, especially if you were in love.  We weren’t complaining.  Wish I could have that time back again one more time.

Thank you @Gem 10, I appreciate your kind words! Unlike Iris, I didn't go around telling people "I'm a virgin!" because even 20 something years ago it wasn't that common, and honestly, I didn't want comments like Elizabeth made (calling Iris a fossil). I did it because of my beliefs, but it was between me and whoever I was dating, and ultimately, Mr. Ilovepie. And although it was probably something Iris needed to disclosed to the experts, I would have asked to keep that private. I definitely wouldn't have wanted it to be the thing that defines me, and frankly, I think it's kind of tacky to make someone's (anyone's really) sexuality their defining trait.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Thank you @Gem 10, I appreciate your kind words! Unlike Iris, I didn't go around telling people "I'm a virgin!" because even 20 something years ago it wasn't that common, and honestly, I didn't want comments like Elizabeth made (calling Iris a fossil). I did it because of my beliefs, but it was between me and whoever I was dating, and ultimately, Mr. Ilovepie. And although it was probably something Iris needed to disclosed to the experts, I would have asked to keep that private. I definitely wouldn't have wanted it to be the thing that defines me, and frankly, I think it's kind of tacky to make someone's (anyone's really) sexuality their defining trait.

Being a Virgin is like the style of the year.  In my day, we wore black sheer stockings with hi heels to work, now they wear sneakers or any ole thing.  Most were virgins, now it’s practically unheard of.  Smoking was the thing, now practically no one smokes.  It goes round and round.  I do wish tho, the black stockings with the seam were back, as they were sexy as hell, lol.  The dresses were beautiful too, and modest .. not boobs falling out all over the place.  The less shown, the more intriguing to men.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Kareem said:

I thought Butterfly McQueen until I saw Bledsoe. 

That might be it.  I'll have to pull out my copy of GWTW and see.  Thanks

She also reminds me of one the friends of Cousin Pam on the Cosby show.

• Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, princelina said:

at the time of our wedding he hadn't spoken to his dad in @5 years and I didn't meet they guy until 10 years into the marriage.  And on his mom's side she's frequently "not speaking to" him, or me; his brother won't talk to us or the mom for @12 years, but talks to the dad - they're all insane.  When I finally did meet the dad none of Mr P's siblings knew if the kid from his second marriage was their half sibling or just the wife's daughter.  So when I got the chance I asked her - she is his daughter, but the mom has another one that's not his, but no one has spoken to her in years!  None of this was made known to me at our first meeting, even without TV cameras, so I can give Matt the benefit of the doubt until he tells us his story.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, topanga said:

Typical American family. Lol.  My newly married husband went and told his Mother I made the Italian sauce better tha her, and it was war from then on, lol.  I came from a very quiet family, and his were always stirring the pot every little thing.  I had to contend with three troublemaking females.  If I had been smarter, I would have moved to a different town.  Then if there was a wedding or function of any kind, all the haters kissed each other like nothing was wrong.  All backstabbers and kiss asses.  Most people have a story of some kind.  As long as you and the husband stick together, everything works out.  I think I screwed up.  This post is in answer to Princillas post.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

My newly married husband went and told his Mother I made the Italian sauce better tha her, and it was war from then on, lol.  

Oh that silly, silly man... in an Italian family dems fightin' words- let the battle of the sauces begin.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Then if there was a wedding or function of any kind, all the haters kissed each other like nothing was wrong.  All backstabbers and kiss asses.

Are we related?  Sounds like a familiar bunch...

4 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

If I had been smarter, I would have moved to a different town

(sigh) I feel the regret as well. For me a different state, or planet, might have been better.

Edited by gonecrackers
ellipses abuse
On 6/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, Kareem said:

Their first dance was somewhat tragic.  

Yes, Greg & Deonna were they only couple that got an upbeat song for their first dance. Everyone else got a slow love song that was easier to slow dance to, and doesn't require rhythm or "moves" to entertain the sea of eyeballs gawking at them. That was really messed up of the producers. And that is just another reason (of the hundrends of reasons) why I would never allow someone else plan my wedding! 

• Love 2
On 6/22/2019 at 7:29 PM, retired watcher said:

Elizabeth's fther was giving me major creep vibes. The look on his face at the reception was that of a jealous lover. And my last love, that should be your husband.

When she told her father that he was her first love, that seemed fine. But when she went on, and said he'll also be her last love...my face contorted. That is beyond creepy! EWWWW!! Sucks for her husband, or even her children, that they won't be her last love. They gotta be playing it up for the cameras.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, Kareem said:

Can definitely see the comparison to Tempestt Bledsoe.  I thought Butterfly McQueen until I saw Bledsoe. 

I'd have never thought of this but now that you say so I can see it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Being a Virgin is like the style of the year.  In my day, we wore black sheer stockings with hi heels to work, now they wear sneakers or any ole thing.  Most were virgins, now it’s practically unheard of.  Smoking was the thing, now practically no one smokes.  It goes round and round.  I do wish tho, the black stockings with the seam were back, as they were sexy as hell, lol.  The dresses were beautiful too, and modest .. not boobs falling out all over the place.  The less shown, the more intriguing to men.

Love this post, but I’ll admit men do seem to light up seeing a nice set of boobs out, like Jamie! Lol 

You are right about them still being intrigued with a little modesty. I’ve had men go gaga wearing totally modest dresses. The subtle sexiness of black stockings and heels goes a long way. Unfortunately hosiery irritates my skin, and heels hurt my feet if not saved for special occasions. Otherwise I’d be dressed like that every day. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Are we related?  Sounds like a familiar bunch...

(sigh) I feel the regret as well. For me a different state, or planet, might have been better.

To get along with your married children, a friend told me the secret .. keep your mouth shut and your pocketbook open.

Edited by Gem 10
  • LOL 1
On 6/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, STRIDER1 said:

Not even 5 mins into their first conversation, she tells greg that she hasnt been in a relationship for OVER 10 years. Yep OVER 10 years.

Then proceeds to say to greg not once but twice, " I feel the judgement ". Talk about starting out on the wrong foot. 

I seriously could not believe that she would get actually get mad at anyone for reacting to her in the same way greg did, as any normal rational person would be surprised AF to hear that.

Screenshot from 2019-06-23 21-15-21.png

Yes ladies and gentleman, NOT once but TWICE she said that to greg. 

Also put her hand up to greg when she said it too, how RUDE !!!

Yes! What she said, and the tone she said it in, was totally off-putting! I was shocked that she had the nerve to speak to him that way within the first hour of meeting. How rude! 

If anything, she should be trying to make him feel comfortable with the info she just revealed, not get bitchy right away about it. Of course he'd have some kind of feelings about it. Geez lady, give him a minute to process it!

Maybe that was her defensiveness showing, which is her way of trying to make herself feel less awkward, and less judged...by calling the attention to the other person for judging.

• Love 4