Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The End of the World

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that this topic is to discuss the episode; posts with mentions of the book or unspoiler tagged book references will be removed and repeat offenses may result in additional sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Mary Louise tries to get closer to Jane. Rather than address her troubles at home, Renata focuses her wrath on Principal Nippal. Madeline is forced to confront her issues at a couples therapy session with Dr. Reisman. Celeste remains conflicted by her memories of Perry.

Airing Sunday, June 23, 2019.

1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

Is it my imagination or have they turned Renata into a non-stop raving idiot?

I mean, she always idled at 11, but IIRC her outbursts were always targeted (and funny). This episode she was just full-throttle stupid and shallow angry.

Yeah they’re turning her into a caricature.  I think I was over her when she was yelling at her husband in front of her daughter in the hospital bed.  That was over the top even for a character like Renata.

• Love 12
(edited)

The psychiatrist is right about Celeste.  She is essentially like someone coming back from a war zone who misses the war.  I still think the scenes with the psychiatrist with Celeste and now Madeline are some of the best scenes of the show.   I keep waiting for Celeste to tell the Psychiatrist she Perry.

On the other side the little bow peer shrink was down right creepy.  Of course I can see the value.  Probably hella works for a second grader but it creeped me out.

i really liked the scene with Jane and Mary Louise.

i must be the only person who really loves Renata.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 15

Does Monterey only have one therapist? Isn't having two friends as patients a conflict if interest for the therapist?

What's the over under that Weird Guy Corey is related to Perry? He was awfully eager to meet Ziggy.

Madeline is so far up her own ass it's a wonder she can breathe, She even made Celeste's abuse about her.

Hate to say it, but it's looking that this entire season was written just to have Meryl Streep join the cast.

• Love 20
(edited)
13 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

Does Monterey only have one therapist? Isn't having two friends as patients a conflict if interest for the therapist?

What's the over under that Weird Guy Corey is related to Perry? He was awfully eager to meet Ziggy.

Madeline is so far up her own ass it's a wonder she can breathe, She even made Celeste's abuse about her.

Hate to say it, but it's looking that this entire season was written just to have Meryl Streep join the cast.

I hate to say it also, but you are right. They took a character that has no value to the show but to insult, harass, verbally abuse and cause damage in every scene she is in. I now fast forward through her scenes and am trying to enjoy the show without her. I really don't think she was needed. I think that the show this season without her would be good enough. There is more than enough drama to go around.

I think that with Perry the bad guy last season they are shaping this season as the "5" surviving his mother. They just changed members of the family to be the bad guy.

Edited by juno
missed some stuff
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
23 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

If Maddy and Celeste compared notes, they'd probably decide to ditch the therapist rather than hear inconvenient truths -- and no I'm not talking about the kids being spooked about climate change.

Hey the therapist isn't wasting their time -- hers or their.  She's telling them things they need to hear.  Still the episode ends with Celeste wanking to Perry -- how do people save those video messages anyways?

Mary Louise is the mother in law from hell -- no not necessary redundant.  She won't hear anything that paints Perry as the POS that he was.  Jane told her bluntly that he raped her, held her down as she screamed at him to stop and Celeste said the Vicodin was for the pain when he kicked her upside the head.

Old people can be just as stubborn as younger people.  But I don't think she'd continue to engage after Celeste kept throwing facts about Perry's behavior right back in her face over and over.  She may not be convinced but it doesn't seem like she'd persist.

Then again, relatives, usually of different generations, continually argue about politics at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings.  There's a little troll in a lot of people.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

This bitch Mary-Louise really called a rape a "rendez-vous".

I liked Meryl a lot better this episode as an actor though.  I thought the scene between Meryl, Reese, and Laura was so funny.  Meryl was also really funny with the cop.

I've never liked the therapist.  

The guy dating Jane reminds me of the dearly departed Anton Yelchin.  Shailene's hair is criminal and unforgiveable.  

There is no reason Jane should ever be even 1% mildly friendly towards Mary-Louise after the sick shit Mary-Louise said to her, absolutely zero reason and if Jane spends any time with her Jane needs serious help.  Plot contrivance.

Why did they make it seem like Jane's date was pushing her into a passing bus?  I had to rewind that to get what was happening.  Weird.

What does Renata Klein do for a living?  What does her husband do?  What did Renata's husband do with her finances? 

1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

Well, it was.  There's nothing wrong with you saying it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16
(edited)

I never thought Laura Dern was a very good actress, I’ve seen her in other shows and movies and always thought the same. As Renata, screaming and being over-the-top isn’t good acting to me. It’s not hard to do OTT, when you can do the quiet scenes well, that shows an accomplished actor more, and she’s never done those well. And now they’re pushing Renata’s OTT and it’s for the worse.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 11

I thought the first two episodes flew by and I was surprised when the credits appeared. This was the first one to drag for me. Let’s hope it’s the outlier for the season. 

I’m extremely suspicious of Jane’s new boyfriend. I agree with @sashayshante that he wanted to meet Ziggy way too fast. Jane seemed to hesitate when he said it but now they’re surfing together? I’m not convinced he’s related to Perry but I don’t think he has good intentions. 

With all the references to drowning this season (Bonnie’s mom teaching her to swim, Celeste’s comment to Madeline that she would have “pulled her out of the pool”, in this episode alone) someone is dying in a body of water this season FOR SURE. Either by accident, by force, or on purpose. My money is on Mary Louise because we all know this show can’t afford to keep Meryl on for two seasons. Perhaps she’ll “slip” and fall into a pool after “borrowing” some of Celeste’s pills and drown. With at least one of the Monterey Five close by to witness it. 

I didn’t like Reese’s speech at the PTA meeting. It seemed like an attempt at an Emmy-grab. I love Reese but you know she’s gearing for it after Nicole and Laura’s wins last season. And that monologue ain’t gonna do it. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, juno said:

I hate to say it also, but you are right. They took a character that has no value to the show but to insult, harass, verbally abuse and cause damage in every scene she is in. I now fast forward through her scenes and am trying to enjoy the show without her. I really don't think she was needed. I think that the show this season without her would be good enough. There is more than enough drama to go around.

I think that with Perry the bad guy last season they are shaping this season as the "5" surviving his mother. They just changed members of the family to be the bad guy.

It’s so sad that they saddled Meryl Streep with this typical mother-in-law-from-hell role. It would have been far more interesting to see her as sympathetic to Celeste and to have Mary Louise dealing with the pain of accepting what her son was like. Meryl does pain and crying so well. It would have worked better with the feel of the first season too, more emotional. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Also, am I crazy, or is teaching second graders that Charlotte’s Web is about sustainability insane?  Also also, Teach, why didn’t you notice that Amabella was missing before she fainted in the closet?

I would watch the whole thing all over again to listen to Chloe declare that Charlotte was looking to rebrand Wilbur.  I actually LOL and that’s odd for me without wine.

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I really like the therapist.  I don't see her as combative.  She is challenging a client, who is/was in a life threatening situation.  If Perry had not died, he probably would have killed Celeste.  She still continues to minimize Perry's violence towards her.  The therapist challenges her because she is trying to save Celeste's life.  She needed to be very blunt and honest with Celeste in order to break through the denial.  Perry is dead but Celeste is at high risk to become involved in another violent relationship.  I think Celeste's therapist is excellent.

I disagree. A therapist can lead the patient into certain results but not challenge them and outright tell them what’s what (which is really only the therapist’s own POV). They’re supposed to help the patients find their own way. This therapist is using her own views to supposedly make them better. She’s far too pushy. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
29 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I thought the same when it showed Madeleine at the same therapist. It’s not some small hick town where everyone goes to the same therapist. 

No but we often go to our friends for recommendations so I don't think it's all that strange that Madeline would go to the same therapist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Personally, I’m enjoying Streep and Mary Louise. I feel like her character is a slow boil. And frankly, without her character, the conflict would all feel rather inconsequential. Bonnie being the “killer” last season was unearned, imo, and watching her slog through the aftermath isn’t compelling to me. 

I also found Madeline’s realization about her parents’ marriage felt incredibly tacked on, as does her identity crisis this season. I like Madeline, but the way they seem to be seeking out drama to amp up her story isn’t great. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 16
27 minutes ago, ferjy said:

A therapist can lead the patient into certain results but not challenge them...

Not challenge them?

Need to get a new therapist...

(I think challenging is allowed.  There are many different ways to treat/counsel/help...)

• Love 18
(edited)

Forgot to add:

Dr. Peep was bizarre, but awesome.

Jane’s scenes with Mary Louise were terrible, but really well done. I did not like her scenes with the date. First off, him haranguing his poor waitress didn’t come off interesting or intelligent. Secondly, I don’t think he has a hidden agenda, I think he’s just awkward and they’re not sure how to write it. The actor lacks. I do remember him from “Big Love”, but he sadly hasn’t improved.

I was disappointed by Mary Louise’s scene with the detective. I really wanted more to be revealed and I wanted some clarity about what was said that night and if Mary Louise knows that Celeste was battered that night.

”He was the best monster.” Those scenes of the kids, Mary Louise, and Celeste watching the videos of their dad was so  crushing. Because it really highlighted how insidious abuse is by someone you’re supposed to love and trust. Because how could this man be so loving, so playful, so perfect, but also be the one responsible for so much fear and cruelty. Those moments and the closing moment of Celeste watching that video of Perry really illustrates why her clinging to only the good is so damaging. Her boys have this deep love for their dad, but we’ve seen how they were also marinated in an extremely abusive relationship involving their parents. They don’t love and respect their mother in how they need to and Celeste seems too comfortable with that.

Renata was much better last season.

Ed’s responses to Madeline after Bonnie left was inspired and well earned. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Is it my imagination or have they turned Renata into a non-stop raving idiot?

I mean, she always idled at 11, but IIRC her outbursts were always targeted (and funny). This episode she was just full-throttle stupid and shallow angry.

I agree, and I can't believe she told Gordon repeatedly not to talk to Amabella. Yes, Gordon screwed up in a major, possibly marriage-ending way, but he's still, as far as we know, a loving father. It would make Amabella even more anxious if her dad stopped talking to her.

I like that Celeste told ML straight up that she needed Vicodin for the pain after Perry hit/kicked her. She was tiptoeing around it too much before ("we were violent with each other", "we had a sickness", etc.)

• Love 23

Yeah Renata, how could your family POSSIBLY be contributing to Amabella being stressed?! As she is making fun of the doctor like a five year old and arguing with her husband while her daughter is in the hospital. With parents like hers, its no wonder Amabella has issues. So are they saying that Renata is becoming more intense now because of her financial issues? Because she is going from intense to carton character lately. 

Why is Ed suddenly the bad guy for being pissed at Madeleine for having an affair and telling their daughter about it? Its impressive that he actually agreed to go to therapy and not leave her in my opinion. Like, why was Celeste being snippy with him after her little spoken word Rainbow Connection freak out? Maybe their marriage had others issues as well, but Madeleine was the one who cheated, Ed is 100% the wronged party here. 

Madeleine's daughter saying how she "cries buckets whenever the Tin Man gets his diploma" did make me laugh though. Why doesent she consider taking some classes now that she has the money and time? I know that covering up manslaughter is decently time consuming, but there has to be some time in between!   

I think I liked Meryl Streeps performance better this week, she seemed like she was a real character more than "Hollywood Legend Meryl Streep". She really is awful, and the more time she is around, the more awful she gets. Between trying to act like Jane somehow "temped" Perry into raping her, and constantly deifying her son despite everything she knows about him now, she is really the more victim blaming person I have seen on TV in awhile. 

I think that Celeste did love Perry, as awful as he was, and I think that she needs to believe that he wasnt a total monster to justify her staying with him, and missing him so much. She has always struggled with the idea that she was a domestic abuse victim (that imagine people have of these pathetic stupid beaten victims, even if the truth is very different) and this is probably a variation of that.

Like, can we all just admit that Perry was awful, and move on?

• Love 18

I'm at a point where the plot is irrelevant to me, it's the performances that are priceless:

The surreal exchanges between Principal Nippal,  Renata and Madeleine. In what world does a school principal have conversations that go like this with kids' parents?

Renata's reaction to Madeleine's speech

Dr. Reisman digging into Celeste, Maddie and Ed, and Ed's body language in the session.

Mary Louise's narcissism on Perry's behalf. How can anyone sit at a table and talk about her sweet, gentle son, and imagine that shit is going to earn her a pass into the life of the grandson that was gotten by rape?

• Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Not challenge them?

(I think challenging is allowed.  There are many different ways to treat/counsel/help...)

I think by challenge the other forum members meant (at least it appears so to me) she shouldn’t be pushing the patients into doing what she wants them to be doing. I too think that she should be helping them to figure out a way to solve their own problems. 

Edited by jenn31
spelling
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, jenn31 said:

I think by challenge the other forum members meant (at least it appears so to me) she shouldn’t be pushing the patients into doing what she wants them to be doing. 

Yes, that’s what challenging means.  Some therapists are passive, and some *challenge* their patients to get out of their comfort zone or to see things from a different perspective.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Yes, that’s what challenging means.  Some therapists are passive, and some *challenge* their patients to get out of their comfort zone or to see things from a different perspective.  

Obviously that’s what challenge means. No need to be snide. You missed my meaning that it’s the pushing to do “what she wants” that’s people are saying is wrong. I think a therapist should be more open to listening and finding ways to help the patient through the problems.

• Love 11

A+ for whoever chose that Cowboy Junkies song for this episode!

It takes a certain kind of person to have an affair in your own house in the bed you share with your spouse while your three year old daughter is at home, and that is the kind of person who says, "There are things your mother doesn't ever need to know."

Mary Louise follows in the grand tradition of the asshole who shows up unannounced at someone else's place of work to have a conversation about something very private and personal. Ugh. And how would a paternity test prove that Perry wasn't a rapist, Mary Louise? Again I say UGH.

And while I'm complaining about people being jerks this week, Renata's reaction to Amabella being brought to the hospital served to remind us that although she is not being mean to Maddie and the other women in the Monterey Five anymore, she's still ridiculous with 99% of the population. First she blamed Amabella's teacher (hissing "What did you do?" before storming back to see Amabella) and then snapping at the doctor about how she wanted Amabella transferred to Stanford. Renata is one giant ball of tension and even though she speaks nicely to Amabella, she still acts like a jerk in front of Amabella and that is enough to stress a kid out (or teach them that this is considered acceptable behavior).

I was really glad that Maddie reassured Abigail that she wasn't mad at her for spilling the beans about her affair with the drama teacher and told her that the fault was her own for having the affair. I wish she'd been as candid during her first therapy session. Hee, I loved that even Abigail knew that the therapist was right when she said that Maddie is insecure about not finishing college. I worked with a couple of people like that and although they were good at their jobs, they would sometimes make comments that made it obvious they were self-conscious about not having degrees. I don't understand why Maddie doesn't just finish her degree though. She could go to CSU Monterey Bay or UC Santa Cruz (which is 12 miles away), or she could just take online courses. She has the time and the money to do it and since there's no rush or deadline, she could take just one class at a time.

I love Dr. Bo Peep!

I still love Dr. Amanda too, despite her advice to Celeste last week to try dating. Although I think that it's too soon for that, she's been pretty spot on about everything else. This week it was when Celeste wanted to remember the good things about Perry and the therapist pointed out that he almost killed her so maybe clinging to the happy memories wasn't the best thing to do. I think Celeste is still ashamed of the abuse and that choosing to only remember the happy things is her way of still denying the abuse in her day to day life, so in that sense she's still hiding the abuse. I'm not saying she needs to take out a full page ad and detail all of his abuse, but she clearly still needs therapy because she is not dealing with the fact that her husband beat the shit out of her on a regular basis.

I hate that Jane rewarded Mary Louise's STALKING with a sit down. In theory, I admire that Jane is willing to be the bigger person and have a conversation with the woman who asked her to get a paternity test and basically slut shamed her and accused her of lying about being raped. In reality, it's far more generous than I could be. I get that Mary Louise misses Perry and is desperate to cling to any remnant of him, but if I were Jane I would be really reluctant to let my son spend any time with my rapist's mother, especially after she kept insisting that Perry was so kind and tender.

One of the things that really annoys me about Renata (aside from her blatant rudeness) is how she feels the need to exaggerate everything. First she said that Amabella was in a coma due to the school teaching her about climate change (and later she said that the school almost killed Amabella), then she told Maddie that the teacher told her to go to hell (when she's the one who threatened to squish the principal).

Man, I'm really starting to like the principal. When he told Renata that the school was there to serve all the children, not just her daughter, I wanted to high five him.

Even though Corey rubbed me the wrong way at first, I'm glad that Jane fond someone who is fine with taking things slow. Honestly, it's kind of sad that the bar is set so low that I'm saying something positive about him simply because he isn't pushing Jane or dumping her because she isn't ready to have sex with him on the first date, but there you have it.

• Love 19

Bo-Peep the therapist who makes house calls - priceless.  Runner-up was Renata demanding a transfer to Stanford Hosp. - for a panic attack.  I like Gordon despite his reckless disregard for their life savings.  His toy trains are all he has now, yet Renata demands he sell them to pay for Amabella's birthday blowout?  I think she's enjoying this, deep down.

Principal Nippal dealing with the "Shakespearian" mothers is hilarious.

Is Ed really disengaged and emotionally distant?  With this bunch, that would be called 'survival.'

Oh dear, Celeste still rubbing one out to Perry's Skype-sex is so sad and kinda hot at the same time.  It's no wonder she's confused, but let's hope her hard drive crashes soon.  

Jane won't let Ziggy's grandmother into his life, but the new weirdo she's dating - no problem.  Not that I blame her, but I'm not convinced Mary Louise is a terrible person.  I think any mother who  lost a beloved child and then learns some disturbing things that threaten her entire memory of him would do the same.  I look forward to the integration of the two Perrys, for everyone's sake.

Cowboy Junkies 'Dreaming' in the end was sublime.  The first season was awesome, but this deeper dive I find even more compelling. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Not challenge them?

(I think challenging is allowed.  There are many different ways to treat/counsel/help...)

I don’t dispute that Celeste is in denial, but it’s the way the therapist is handling it that bothers me. Something feels off to me with the therapist. She’s too insistent. She seemed a little too displeased with Celeste not hating Perry more. She was also snippy to Ed. I started me thinking that maybe she had an abusive man (husband? father? brother?) in her past. I wouldn’t put it past these writers to turn her into a crazy. 😄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I was with the moms-- wtf?  Turning Charlotte's Web into a story about sustainability for 2nd graders?  There has to be a better way to discuss climate change without giving 8yos panic attacks.  Poor sensitive Amabella!  (However the "rebranding" line was hilarious.)

Finally Celeste told Mary Louise to leave!  Her creeping around both Celeste and Jane is, well,  creepy.  Does anyone else think she's looking for evidence to throw either woman in jail so she can gain custody of any of the children?  She's making a list of their faults: Jane is a slut and Celeste is an addict.

8 hours ago, UGAmp said:

With all the references to drowning this season (Bonnie’s mom teaching her to swim, Celeste’s comment to Madeline that she would have “pulled her out of the pool”, in this episode alone) someone is dying in a body of water this season FOR SURE.

I think so too.  I caught the drowning references last week.

Dr Bo Peep was really weird, but she knows her stuff!

Renata is unhinged.  And I love, love Ed.

• Love 16
(edited)

Also I meant to add I am really enjoying  Meryl Streep.   Mary Louise is playing a mother in deep denial about her son and asking the questions a mother in that kind of denial would  ask about her son who died suddenly and knows people are keeping secrets.  Heck she just found out she has another grandson who has an uncanny resemblance to her “other” dead son.  

“Are you sure he assaulted you?”

”Why do you have these pills?”

A lesser actress would not be able to pull this character off.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It takes a certain kind of person to have an affair in your own house in the bed you share with your spouse while your three year old daughter is at home, and that is the kind of person who says, "There are things your mother doesn't ever need to know."

Sorry, I missed what this is in reference to.  Did Madeleine do this?  And what does she not need to know?  

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sorry, I missed what this is in reference to.  Did Madeleine do this?  And what does she not need to know?  

Madeline’s father did it.  She walked in on him cheating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh Meryl -- how I love you -- you make me want Mary Louise to hang out at the top of the stairs while the Monterey 5 are around.  And no small feat for a woman who made me love Miranda Priestly!

I get the weird feeling Jane's new Beau is some wanna be reporter trying to write a piece on the Monterey 5.  No idea where I get that from in terms of hints from the show -- but there is something distinctly odd about the full court press he is doing so early on.  I much prefer Tom the Coffee Shop guy.

Edited by BeatrixK
  • Love 10
(edited)

I think it's a testament to Meryl Streep's acting (and the hair/makeup/costuming, which is on point) that I cannot physically bear to watch Mary Louise's scenes all the way through. I've never been triggered by a mere character in TV/film before, but Mary Louise triggers me. If you've ever had a woman like Mary Louise in your life, I think you'll understand (and also, I'm sorry).

Dr. Bo Peep was awesome. Can she come back? I loved how she switched from her high-pitched "child" voice to her businesslike professional voice.

I know the plot requires that Amabella be at the same school as the other kids, but from everything we've seen, there's no way Renata wouldn't have had her child homeschooled from the start with specialized tutors. 

The principal who is 1,000% done with the parents' bullshit is great.

No idea where I get that from in terms of hints from the show -- but there is something distinctly odd about the full court press he is doing so early on.  

Yeah, pushing to get too serious too soon is normally a classic red flag for potential future abuse.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, UGAmp said:

I’m extremely suspicious of Jane’s new boyfriend. I agree with @sashayshante that he wanted to meet Ziggy way too fast. Jane seemed to hesitate when he said it but now they’re surfing together? I’m not convinced he’s related to Perry but I don’t think he has good intentions. 

I think he's a cop.  That's my pet theory, anyway.

Please give a round of applause to Ziggy, who seems to actually understand Charlotte's intentions: Grown-ups lie sometimes to protect the ones they love.

That kid gets it.  Madeline, maybe, not so much.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, UGAmp said:

With all the references to drowning this season (Bonnie’s mom teaching her to swim, Celeste’s comment to Madeline that she would have “pulled her out of the pool”, in this episode alone) someone is dying in a body of water this season FOR SURE. Either by accident, by force, or on purpose. My money is on Mary Louise because we all know this show can’t afford to keep Meryl on for two seasons. Perhaps she’ll “slip” and fall into a pool after “borrowing” some of Celeste’s pills and drown. With at least one of the Monterey Five close by to witness it. 

You confuse BLL with the "Melrose Place".

Gosh, their psychiatrist is so unprofessional, I'd leave her after the first appointment. 

• Love 1

The depiction of the people of Monterey on this show has always been bizarre to me - especially when it comes to matters involving the school.

The way the Amabella strangling incident was handled by the school was truly odd.

The way that people in town (including the mayor!) were trying to shut down a production of Avenue Q was even odder.

Then in the season two premiere, the principal was like a mustache-twirling villain, blaming Madeline for Perry's death.

Now we find out that the second-grade teacher is telling kids that Charlotte didn't want Wilbur being eaten because raising pigs is bad for climate change? It seems like Rush Limbaugh's idea of what liberal schools are like.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Amabella needs the therapist the Drapers took Sally too. She was awesome AF. 

Yeah I liked the teacher til the Charlotte's Web bs.  

It's very easy to teach small children about recycling, schools do it all the time without mass hysteria breaking out. 

The show should be renamed Big Little Bad Decisions. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

I'm getting tired of seeing Perry's monster shtick. It made me wonder if that was only way he could relate to his kids so it was a relief to see him just reading a story to the twins at bedtime. I noticed that Mary Louise was mouthing along with the words so I'm guessing it was a story she used to read to Perry and his brother when they were kids. 

Good for Jane and Celeste for standing up to Mary Louise. Jane for refusing to give in to a paternity or "a simple blood test" and for telling Mary Louise that she was yelling for Perry to stop and "you don't misread that." Celeste for telling Mary Louise that she needed vicodin after Perry kicked her. Mary Louise sure sticks her nose wherever she wants doesn't she? Showing up at Jane's and snooping through Celeste's things. I like how she told Celeste that she wouldn't lie and proceeded to lie about what she was doing when Celeste walked in on her. Because she was 100% snooping.

I loved the principal telling the 2nd grade teacher that yes, he smokes and he knows a place where they can smoke where the kids can't see them. I LOLd.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
49 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Good for Jane and Celeste for standing up to Mary Louise. Jane for refusing to give in to a paternity or "a simple blood test" and for telling Mary Louise that she was yelling for Perry to stop and "you don't misread that." 

Jane definitely needs some therapy about being raped. Her immediate instinct when Corey tried to kiss her was to swerve away so she still had some issues with what happened. But that’s why I was so proud of her for so calmly shutting Mary Louise down first when she refused the paternity test again when Mary Louise suggested that Jane had tempted Perry who had misread her signals. It didn’t happen to me and I was practically spitting at my screen on Jane’s behalf. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No but we often go to our friends for recommendations so I don't think it's all that strange that Madeline would go to the same therapist.

Originally Celeste and Perry went to her for counseling.  Meaning that couples counseling is probably her specialty.  Not much of a stretch to have Madeline and Ed go to her when that's what they need.

And she was telling Madeline what she needs to hear:  that Ed is going to have a really hard time trusting her after her lies.

• Love 4

We've known since season 1 that the therapist is unprofessional. She flat-out violated confidentiality rules by having appointments with Celeste behind Perry's back (which is a big no-no when you're a couples counselor).

However, despite her unprofessionalism, she seems to be doing a great service to almost everyone she sees. She's talking sense into Celeste, whose lack of perspective is deeply troubling. And she has Madeline pegged, even if Madeline doesn't realize it.

The one person she seemed to be wrong about was Ed, when she suggested that Ed had betrayed Madeline by being indifferent. He's been overly passive, but never indifferent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4