Type keyword(s) to search

The Tenth Doctor: He Didn't Want To Go

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Harriet Jones told the Doctor, "What does that make you, Doctor? Another alien threat?" Remember that Jones fired that weapon after the Sycorax were leaving, probably to tell the others not to come to Earth.

All the Doctor ever does is change the course of history. He saved Earth any number of times in the past and future. This wasn't just a case of Earth defending itself, it was Jones and Torchwood having to teach aliens a lesson after the Doctor had already sent them packing. I think Ten decided that Jones was wrong and did something about it.

Most of all, if six words from the Doctor could take down Harriet Jones, I'm sure the Master could be just as persuasive to get her out of the way. The Doctor's failure was in letting the Master have access to the TARDIS, not keeping some tyrant with a death ray in power.

• Love 1

Harriet Jones told the Doctor, "What does that make you, Doctor? Another alien threat?" Remember that Jones fired that weapon after the Sycorax were leaving, probably to tell the others not to come to Earth.

Or to raise a bigger army - that was Harriet's point. If the Sycorax came back with a bigger army to take revenge for this defeat, could the Doctor guarantee he would be there to save the Earth again? Let's place Harriet's comment to the Doctor back in context:

HARRIET: That was defence. It's adapted from alien technology. A ship that fell to Earth ten years ago.

DOCTOR: But they were leaving.

HARRIET: You said yourself, Doctor, they'd go back to the stars and tell others about the Earth. I'm sorry, Doctor, but you're not here all the time. You come and go. It happened today. Mister Llewellyn and the Major, they were murdered. They died right in front of me while you were sleeping. In which case we have to defend ourselves.

DOCTOR: Britain's Golden Age.

HARRIET: It comes with a price.

DOCTOR: I gave them the wrong warning. I should've told them to run as fast as they can, run and hide because the monsters are coming. The human race.

HARRIET: Those are the people I represent. I did it on their behalf.

DOCTOR: Then I should have stopped you.

HARRIET: What does that make you, Doctor? Another alien threat?

Harriet isn't acting without cause. People died this day and the Doctor wasn't around to help - he popped up at the very last possible moment and saved the day, hooray, but what if he'd stayed in his coma a few minutes longer? What would have happened then? What if he hadn't happened to be on Earth at all when this happened? I'm not saying she was right to destroy the Sycorax ship, but it was her call to make. It was her job to make big decisions like that, to defend her people, her planet. She asks the Doctor if he's just another alien threat after he has just threatened her. He likened her to the invading aliens who just tried to murder millions of people and conquer the world, just because she took the line of defence further than he wanted. Maybe the Sycorax would have fled and never come back, as the Doctor hoped - or maybe they wouldn't. It was a judgement call. The Doctor wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but he has the luxury of being able to do that because he isn't going to be the one cleaning up the mess, and since he doesn't live on Earth he won't be the one living for possibly years with the fear that they might come back. This isn't his planet. Defending it is his occasional hobby, not his responsibility. If they did return with a bigger army, he might not be there to help - he doesn't know. And when Harriet pointed that out to him, he turned on her. From her point of view, yes, he might well be just another alien threat - sure, he is usually benign, but he also sees himself as a higher authority with the right to impose his judgement on other species, at his own whim, and that does make him dangerous. No, I'm with Harriet on this. He overstepped the mark.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4

Harriet Jones also said she was sorry as the Doctor walked away. Did she realize she was wrong or was she just afraid for her job?

I know that whole sequence was controversial, but I loved it because all the Doctor did was ask one question to make Harriet spiral out of control. Her reaction ultimately doomed her. For me, it showed that the Doctor has the TARDIS and his sonic screwdriver and all these other gadgets, but he doesn't need any of it most of the time.

Since the Doctor has no Prime Directive, the question is whether he respects a country's sovereignty. He didn't depose her. He only made Jones fight for her job, which she failed at.

Harriet Jones also said she was sorry as the Doctor walked away. Did she realize she was wrong or was she just afraid for her job?

Later on (The Stolen Earth), she stands by her decision; so it's not her realising she was wrong. IMO she wasn't wrong either, but that's really not settled.

• Love 2

Later on (The Stolen Earth), she stands by her decision; so it's not her realising she was wrong. IMO she wasn't wrong either, but that's really not settled.

I don't think either of them is wrong. It's one of those situations where both have a valid point of view and there is no clear cut right or wrong. That's the point, imo, which is why we shouldn't fall into the trap of believing the Doctor is automatically right and anyone who doesn't agree with him is automatically wrong - this was an early glimpse of the hubris that would become such a major character flaw for this incarnation.

• Love 2

You're so lucky, @Iheartdoctorwho! If you have time, I wouldn't mind an update after the event. Tennant is delightful.

I love the the title of this thread because I didn't want Ten to go either. I watched The Doctor's Wife (S6 E4) just over a month ago but haven't moved forward in my Nu-Who Netlix-ing because I'd rather re-watch older episodes.

My favorite altogether is probably Season 4 because it contains what I call "The Superfriends Arc." After Turn Left, which is in my Top 5, the shows that follow are great simply because all my favorites are present. Unfortunately I don't feel as bonded to the characters who come later.

• Love 2

I am such a huge David Tennant fan.  My husband was so sweet, he got me a VIP Ticket to the Wizard World Comic Con in Raleigh to meet David Tennant on 3/14!!!!!

I actually get to stand next to him, maybe give him a hug and take a photo with him!!!

#JEALOUS!!! I hope you come back and post your pic here :)

You're so lucky, @Iheartdoctorwho! If you have time, I wouldn't mind an update after the event. Tennant is delightful.

I love the the title of this thread because I didn't want Ten to go either. I watched The Doctor's Wife (S6 E4) just over a month ago but haven't moved forward in my Nu-Who Netlix-ing because I'd rather re-watch older episodes.

My favorite altogether is probably Season 4 because it contains what I call "The Superfriends Arc." After Turn Left, which is in my Top 5, the shows that follow are great simply because all my favorites are present. Unfortunately I don't feel as bonded to the characters who come later.

My fav season is also season 4, sigh, I miss DT & Donna, they were a fab pairing!

• Love 1

I am such a huge David Tennant fan.  My husband was so sweet, he got me a VIP Ticket to the Wizard World Comic Con in Raleigh to meet David Tennant on 3/14!!!!!

I actually get to stand next to him, maybe give him a hug and take a photo with him!!!

What a way to celebrate Pi Day!  Please swing by after you come down out of the clouds and tell us about your meeting!  :0)

• Love 1

It was incredible meeting David Tennant. He was sweet, kind, funny and he liked my TARDIS tattoo.  He was asking "where" is it when they snapped our first photo so he told the photographer to take it again. I got to keep both the funny one and the good one.

I got to see him again in the autograph line.  I had brought along a photo of Peter Davison (autographed) with David to get his autograph on the other side.  He smiled when he saw that I had Peter's signature!

My daughter was with me, but she was scared to say hi. I said to her "He's a dad too and he won't bite" and he said "maybe I will though" and winked at her, she perked right up saying "you won't bite me!".  He just smiled at us both and when I said we were huge fans, he thanked us profusely. He is so genuine and seems to really adore his fans. So humble and adorable in person!!

He's going to the Wizard World Con in Philly in May. I wish I could go to that one too! Billie Piper will be doing a meet on Sunday of that weekend with him.

• Love 11

Iheartdoctorwho Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

My daughter was with me, but she was scared to say hi. I said to her "He's a dad too and he won't bite" and he said "maybe I will though" and winked at her, she perked right up saying "you won't bite me!".  He just smiled at us both and when I said we were huge fans, he thanked us profusely. He is so genuine and seems to really adore his fans. So humble and adorable in person!!

I can almost hear him saying it in that lovely accent of his!  How old is your daughter?

Since I can not find a Dalek thread, I just throw this comment here since it is about Dalek Caan and his prediction for 10.  Really just about Dalek Caan, I get a kick out of his voice.  It seems to me that the voice actor (Nicholas Briggs) had fun voicing an insane Dalek.

After watching season 9 and the Christmas special, I cleansed my palate by binging on Doctors 9 and 10. So refreshing. For me (although Doctor 4 was the first Doctor I saw) Doctors 5, 6, 9 and 10 are my Doctors. (Tho' many will disagree about Doctor 6 - he did wonderful Big Finish audio productions to keep the Doctor alive during BBCs hiatus and the unfortunate McCoy era) So I loved the vulnerable Doctor, the ego-centric Doctor, the Dark Doctor and the human Doctor. I particularly liked the human Doctor - 10. Perhaps because he was so accessible while still being alien. The Moffat iterations have left me very cold. So I will rejoin the world of the Doctor with the advent of a new show runner.

• Love 2

Watching "The End of Time" again, with the way Ten describes Gallifrey as being in a "bubble", not a literal one, it makes me wonder if he did remember what happened in "The Day of the Doctor".  Bubble is very close to "cup-a-soup".

• Love 1

David Tennants father :-(

The Very Rev Dr Sandy McDonald (78) passed away this morning.  He had been suffering from the degenerative lung disease pulmonary fibrosis for awhile now.  May he rest in peace, may his family be comforted during this time.  By all accounts he was a lovely and kind man. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-tennants-father-dead-78-7574541

Edited by cocobeans
  • Love 1

David Tennants father :-(

The Very Rev Dr Sandy McDonald (78) passed away this morning.  He had been suffering from the degenerative lung disease pulmonary fibrosis for awhile now.  May he rest in peace, may his family be comforted during this time.  By all accounts he was a lovely and kind man. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-tennants-father-dead-78-7574541

Sad news!  It sounds like they had a good relationship, which is always good to hear.

Trivia from wiki:

In May 2008, he made a non-speaking cameo appearance in the Doctor Who episode "The Unicorn and the Wasp", playing the part of a footman alongside his son.

I am so enjoying have David back as the Doctor for a few stories, not to mention Catherine Tate' Donna! I got the Big Finish 10/Donna stories and am almost done with the second of three. They've both slipped back into the roles as if they never left. I highly recommend them for any fans of Ten and Donna. Molto Bene!

On 8/12/2014 at 0:35 PM, theredhead77 said:

I loved Martha later and she's just fantastic with Jack. To be fair, I wasn't over Rose and had no patience for Martha's unrequited love and jealousy. She was behaving like a whiny freshman / teenage girl not a grown ass woman / medical student and she just needed to get!the!frell!over!it! I wanted to throw copies of He's Just Not That Into You at her. If they hadn't written the that angle in to her arc I would have been a lot more receptive to her.

It never ceases to amaze me how mileage varies -- Martha didn't bug me, but what you felt about her is how I felt about Rose with Ten! Rose's pouty, jealous, possessive girlfriend behavior drove me bananas. 

• Love 8
On 11/28/2016 at 9:43 PM, snarktini said:

It never ceases to amaze me how mileage varies -- Martha didn't bug me, but what you felt about her is how I felt about Rose with Ten! Rose's pouty, jealous, possessive girlfriend behavior drove me bananas. 

All the "Word!" in the world, for you. Everytime I do a rewatch, I try to give Rose a benefit of the doubt, but I just can't, for oodles of reasons, not in a Ten thread ;).  I am in a rewatch (last 4 of the specials, and I am going to be sad). Nine + Ten were my doctors, I loved all the companions (But Rose)... and the stories and everything. Everyone else bothers me. but something I just realised. 

Ten said radiation doesn't bother him. (to which we even see him take it in, move it down his body and kick off his shoe because that's where it settled). but he dies because of too much radiation. What gives there?

After all the Rose romance and the Martha crush it was quite nice to have a companion who was just a mate. And CT and DT played so very well off of each other that I just wanted to hang out with Ten and Donna. They just seemed like they'd be cool to hang out with. I also love that she was so into it all in an excitable, playful way. Like how she dressed up for Agatha Christie and was so into playing amateur detective. I just wish they had had more time together.

• Love 5
On 8/1/2014 at 5:31 PM, tv-talk said:

Matt Smith got one of best story arcs in series history, no wonder Tennant didn't want to go. 

I only started watching regularly during the Smith years.  Reruns started running on BBC America and I still look forward to them every day.  I love Nine and Tennant (whom I had caught on the odd episode before I began watching regularly) was great fun and a tremendous Doctor.  His mark on the series is indelible.  I also enjoyed Cappeli.

But Matt Smith is my Doctor.  He always will be.  He was manic and hilarious and when he got angry it was so tangible I could literally feel it radiating from the screen.  I hope he has a stellar career.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:04 PM, chitowngirl said:

My heart broke that they had to erase all her memories of her time with The Doctor.

I missed that one and always wondered what happened to her.  Why did she leave?  And why did they erase her memories?

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, smorbie said:

I missed that one and always wondered what happened to her.  Why did she leave?  And why did they erase her memories?

Who, Donna? For reasons of Plot, Donna managed to merge her DNA with the Doctor's during an aborted regeneration - he'd come into possession of the hand he'd had cut off in his first adventure (don't ask) and siphoned off his regeneration energy into that rather than change appearance himself; Donna touched it, adding human DNA into the mix, and thanks to Handwavium Technobabble two human-Time Lord hybrids were created. One of these grew out of the Doctor's severed hand, was basically the Doctor but mortal and with a generous helping of Donna's personality, and was left in the parallel universe with Rose. The other was an upgraded Donna, who was basically herself but with Doctor!brain grafted on. She managed to save the day, but her human body and brain were unable to cope with the Time Lord overload. The Doctor decided that it would all be okay again if he simply wiped her memory of him and all their adventures, essentially conning her brain into thinking it's a normal human brain again - a load of old cobblers, imo, but if you say the technobabble fast enough it sounds plausible. Donna begged him not to make her forget, but he chose to overrule her, wiped her memory clean, and then took her back home for her family to look after her while she recovered, warning them that she must never be reminded of his very existence, or her brain will implode, or words to that effect. It was all very melodramatic and tragic.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 3

Wow.  thank you for telling me.  Is that how the Doctor ended up being able to stay with Rose in the parallel universe.  I've seen that one, but just don't remember.  They've started over with Tennant on the reruns of BBC America (I wish they'd started at the beginning with Nine, but whatever), so I'll see it soon.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:48 PM, Mabinogia said:

After all the Rose romance and the Martha crush it was quite nice to have a companion who was just a mate. And CT and DT played so very well off of each other that I just wanted to hang out with Ten and Donna. They just seemed like they'd be cool to hang out with. I also love that she was so into it all in an excitable, playful way. Like how she dressed up for Agatha Christie and was so into playing amateur detective. I just wish they had had more time together.

Next to Amy, Donna was my favorite companion.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2016 at 9:43 PM, snarktini said:

She didn't have the charisma with Tennant that she had with Nine.  It always seemed a bit off to me.

4 hours ago, smorbie said:

Wow.  thank you for telling me.  Is that how the Doctor ended up being able to stay with Rose in the parallel universe.  I've seen that one, but just don't remember.  They've started over with Tennant on the reruns of BBC America (I wish they'd started at the beginning with Nine, but whatever), so I'll see it soon.

Next to Amy, Donna was my favorite companion.

Yeah, that's how Rose managed to bag a Doctor of her very own to live happily ever after with in the parallel universe - a mortal, human-life-span version of the Doctor who could grow old with her. It was all very contrived.

4 hours ago, smorbie said:

She didn't have the charisma with Tennant that she had with Nine.  It always seemed a bit off to me.

For me, the problem with Rose and Ten was that they were two positives leading to overload, so to speak. Rose and Nine were a positive and a negative, which made for a balanced dynamic. Rose-Ten was just too much, by comparison.

• Love 2

By the time Rose left, she needed to go.  Her character had become too weighed down to be fun anymore.  Usually by the time the companions leave I'm ready for them to move on.  I don't remember that's being the case with Donna.

• Love 3
On 3/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, smorbie said:

By the time Rose left, she needed to go.  Her character had become too weighed down to be fun anymore.  Usually by the time the companions leave I'm ready for them to move on.  I don't remember that's being the case with Donna.

That episode still disturbs me and to this day I cannot watch the part where Donna "dies."

It just seems so horrifically unfair and wrong that she should go out that way. She was by far my favorite companion and to end her run by "forgetting" and going back to old Donna was just upsetting. I always end the episode when Ten!Too and Rose watching the TARDIS disappear.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, hnygrl said:

That episode still disturbs me and to this day I cannot watch the part where Donna "dies."

It just seems so horrifically unfair and wrong that she should go out that way. She was by far my favorite companion and to end her run by "forgetting" and going back to old Donna was just upsetting. I always end the episode when Ten!Too and Rose watching the TARDIS disappear.

Not me.  There's too much fun left.  The one I've never watched and don't think I ever will, is when eleven regenerates.  I liked Eccleston and Capeldi, and loved Tennant.  But Matt Smith is my doctor.  I adore him.

• Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, hnygrl said:

I just watched this one and I have to agree.  But they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with all the "she's-the-most-important-woman-in-the-universe" references.  And I get what they were going for, I really do.  Taking this beleaguered, stomped-upon woman, almost despised by her mother, chronically under employed and romance challenged and making her a real heroine.  It was a lovely story, but the ending was a real bruiser.  It all explains why the other companions occasionally come back, and many other cast alumni are sprinkled throughout the episodes, we never again saw Donna.

I must agree with the doctor, she really was "brilliant".  She still shines above almost every other companion he has had.

• Love 4

As a new viewer (from Jodie's first season), I watched Capaldi's era in the middle of Series 11, then a few other episodes from other eras out of order. Then I started at the beginning of NuWho with Series 1 and I recently finished Series 4, Tennant's last regular season. I still have to watch or rewatch Tennant's specials (along with Matt Smith's era), but so far, Tennant's 10 and Whittaker's 13 are my two favorite Doctors, though for me, Tennant had a habit of overacting (especially with his eyes). 10 is just so much fun, yet serious when he needs to be. His first series, Series 2, was a mixed bag for me but I really enjoyed the next two seasons/series. The 2 part Series 4 season finale (The Stolen Earth and Journey's End) were a mixed bag of wild and crazy, over the top dramatics, too much techno babble, and too, too much fun. The sadness of course was the Doctor taking away Donna's memories of him and their travels to save her. That still seems controversial even to this day. Somehow, she should have been given a choice, even if it meant dying.

• Love 3

I loved that!! David Tennant is my first and favorite Doctor. After finding the show, I searched all over and found many of the original shows online, also watched the Eccleston year. I think he may be my 2nd favorite Dr. I bought the very first episodes on disc from Amazon. I guess they are obsolete now that new computers don't have disc players any more.😠

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I loved that!! David Tennant is my first and favorite Doctor. After finding the show, I searched all over and found many of the original shows online, also watched the Eccleston year. I think he may be my 2nd favorite Dr. I bought the very first episodes on disc from Amazon. I guess they are obsolete now that new computers don't have disc players any more.😠

DVDs won't be obsolete until DVD players and the TV screens to hook them up to are no longer sold. They are not just, or even primarily, for computers, you know 😉

And heck, you can still get hold of VHS players, if you really need one!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

Me at the beginning of watching Part 1: "Rise of the Cybermen": Oh this those Cybermen so dumb looking. This'll be good for a laugh."

Me at the end of Part 2: "The Age of Steel":

giphy.gif

Now I understand the secret of this show. It lulls you in with the cheesiness and comedy and then suddenly blindsides you with emotions!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6

I just watched and loved the two parter "Impossible Planet"/"Satan's Pit". It was epic. Loved all the characters we met like Jefferson.

I also really liked "Love and Monsters" and am surprised to find out it's not well liked by fans. I thought the "LINDA" group was endearing and was sad most got absorbed by that alien and died when he was killed. Elton and Ursula were cute and I was rooting for them so much. I'm glad Ursula is still alive in some form but living as a piece of pavement is still a bummer!

• Love 1

In the middle of the third season with Martha Jones as the companion.

I've heard about this episode "Blink" a lot and it lives up to the hype. The Weeping Angels rank up there with The Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Hush" as scariest monsters. Man, if I saw this as a kid I would have been traumatized for life! It's funny that the most nightmare-inducing episode so far has no horrible deaths. Practically every episode of DW I've seen countless innocent people have died the most horrific deaths imaginable but the only two victims in the episode were just sent to the past, met someone, got married and died of old age! Also nice to finally see where "Timey Wimey ball" comes from. Carey Mulligan as Sally Sparrow is great. If she hadn't gone off to Hollywood she could have had her own spinoff.

Other thoughts:
David Tennant gives a great performance as "John Smith" not wanting to "die" and become the Doctor again in the "Family of Blood" episode.

It's hilarious to hear pre-Spider-Man and Social Network Andrew Garfield attempt a Southern accent in the two part Daleks in New York episode.

Martha is pretty but her sister Tish if FINE.

Martha... *sigh* He's just not that into you sweetie.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

It's funny that the most nightmare-inducing episode so far has no horrible deaths. Practically every episode of DW I've seen countless innocent people have died the most horrific deaths imaginable but the only two victims in the episode were just sent to the past, met someone, got married and died of old age!

That is funny, isn't it? As astoundingly creepy as they are, the Weeping Angels just send you back in time to die of old age, and while it's awful that you don't get to see your loved ones again, at least you can arrange an eerily-timed message so they aren't left wondering what happened to you. Meanwhile, the Slitheen tear you apart with their giant claws and then wear your skin as a disguise, but fart jokes and goofy-looking alien suits, so we aren't nearly as scared of them. It'd be way better to be killed by a Weeping Angel than a Slitheen, but I didn't have to turn on all the lights in my apartment after I watched the Slitheen's debut for the first time.

• Love 2

I just watched "Gridlock" from Season 3.  I decided to watch this again as I had just seen the animated recreation of The Macra Terror and the Macra appear in this one.  I haven't had a chance to go back and watch these episode since my original viewing of them about 3 or 4 years ago.  I always liked the premise of Gridlock (years long traffic) and I have to say I really enjoyed it again while watching it.  It's a fun episode and has a number of moments in it, like The Doctor telling Martha about Gallifrey.  A fun guest cast and some returning faces, including literally.  

DT is my favorite Doctor although he has some hilarious over-the-top moments in this one.

• Love 2
On 11/22/2019 at 11:27 AM, DanaK said:

I finished Tennent's specials a few weeks ago. They were pretty entertaining, but I can't imagine how hard it was to wait over a year for them all to be broadcast

Me neither. I watched all of them this week and just finished the last one. So THAT'S where the crying old man gif is from!  It was Donna's grandfather! I think I like 'Waters of Mars' the most. The "Time Lord Triumphant" speech by Tennant at the end was chilling and a good preview of his future role as Killgrave on Jessica Jones.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1