Type keyword(s) to search

The Ninth Doctor: He Was Fantastic

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Since BBC America has taken to pretending Eccleston was never really Doctor Who, despite his being numbered as one, I am on the search for his episodes.  I'd like to avoid having to buy the DVD's because they're expensive and I'd rather just watch.  But Netflix has dropped Doctor Who (which I can NOT understand) and Hulu doesn't carry it, either.

Does anyone know where I can view them?

There's a streaming service called Britbox which has all the extant Classic Doctor Who serials, just added, so there's been a bit of press about it - I'm not sure if they have New Who, though, and can't check because it isn't available in my country.

(edited)
2 hours ago, smorbie said:

Since BBC America has taken to pretending Eccleston was never really Doctor Who, despite his being numbered as one, I am on the search for his episodes.  I'd like to avoid having to buy the DVD's because they're expensive and I'd rather just watch.  But Netflix has dropped Doctor Who (which I can NOT understand) and Hulu doesn't carry it, either.

Amazon Prime gave me access to all the season episodes starting with Eccleston.

Edited by DJG1122
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2017 at 2:50 AM, smorbie said:

We've been watching them on Amazon Prime

Yeah, I'm waiting for my son to re-up our membership.  He just changed jobs going from bi-weekly pay to once a month, so it will be a few weeks before that happens.  But when it does, I'm hitting Dr. Who like a hungry man chowing down on a steak.  I'm tired of watching the few episodes BBC America shows us every day.  And I really want to see Nine's outings again.

I remember planning not to like him because he's a bit dour looking and I didn't think he could pull it off.  But, with his first line he completely won me over.  Now that's acting.

Christopher Eccleston is currently on The Leftovers on HBO.  I haven't been watching that series, but my son loves it.  

Eccleston was also on Heroes for few episodes and was amazing in that role.

I think the BBC took Doctor Who off of Netflix because they are devising their own pay-channel.  :(   I haven't heard anymore about that, but there were articles about it when it was taken off of Netflix.  I dunno if I want to pay multiple fees to multiple services.  Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS Online. Ugh.  

One thing I loved about the episodes being on Netflix is that they were not chopped for commercials so you got the full episode. 

Eccleston is definitely my favorite doctor.  I haven't really been able to get into any of the other doctors after him, especially, I guess 11?  He of the big head.  Now we have this new old guy and he's just not my doctor.  I have seen the beginning of this season and I may have to give the new doctor a watch.  

• Love 1

I just started watching on Amazon Prime with my daughter's encouragement.  She has seen everything from 9-11 (she doesn't like 12)  I just finished Season 1 and am 2 episodes into season 2.  I cannot imagine liking a doctor more than Eccleston.  He sucked me right into the series.  I am a fan of David Tennent (LOVED him in Jessica Jones) and am looking forward to seeing more of him, but wish I could have seen more of Eccleston.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ElleMo said:

I just started watching on Amazon Prime with my daughter's encouragement.  She has seen everything from 9-11 (she doesn't like 12)  I just finished Season 1 and am 2 episodes into season 2.  I cannot imagine liking a doctor more than Eccleston.  He sucked me right into the series.  I am a fan of David Tennent (LOVED him in Jessica Jones) and am looking forward to seeing more of him, but wish I could have seen more of Eccleston.

I really liked Eccleston and didn't like Tennant until several episodes in. Then, I really liked Tennant and didn't like Smith until several episodes in. Then, I really liked Smith and didn't like Capaldi until several episodes in. Now, I like all of them for different reasons. Capaldi in Season 10 with Bill is not the same Capaldi in Seasons 8 and 9 with Clara. 

By the way, you may want to watch Broadchurch with David Tennant.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, DJG1122 said:

Thanks for the tip.  I will put it on my watch list.

3 hours ago, DJG1122 said:

I really liked Eccleston and didn't like Tennant until several episodes in. Then, I really liked Tennant and didn't like Smith until several episodes in. Then, I really liked Smith and didn't like Capaldi until several episodes in. Now, I like all of them for different reasons. Capaldi in Season 10 with Bill is not the same Capaldi in Seasons 8 and 9 with Clara. 

I am glad to hear that, which seems to be what most people are saying.  I was worried it would be like Star Trek.  I really liked Captain Kirk (Shatner) and didn't like Picard until a few episodes in.  I was hoping for the same when I watched DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, and while I liked them all, none of the captains lived up to  Shatner or Stewart. (Love Chris Pine, though!)  I know it is not the same but i hope you get my point

Edited by ElleMo
On 6/28/2017 at 3:17 PM, DJG1122 said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I thoroughly enjoyed all three seasons. of Broadchurch.  

Chris did a great job as the 9th Doctor, Rose and him had fantastic chemistry. DW had some wonderful writing and episodes back then. Beautiful music to go along with the characters too. OMG, Father's Day episode had me gutted, that was so_ many levels better writing and acting compared to w

hat we have been given with the 13th Doctor.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

On a first time binge watch and halfway through the first David Tennant season. I liked Eccleston. He was great in "Dalke" and "The Doctor Dances"

I know this is just a typo, but 'Dalke' legit sounds like a fab Doctor Who alien name! 😄

• LOL 2
23 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Well, this sheds some new light on his decision to leave after one season. 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/sep/16/christopher-eccleston-reveals-he-is-lifelong-anorexic

That's sad. Male actors have it just as tough to keep up their appearances as women in certain cases.

It's interesting to compare the dynamic between Rose and Nine and Rose and Ten. Nine, with his shaved head, leather jacket and Northern accent seem like a fitting match. He and Rose looked like they could have hooked up at a pub or a football match. Ten, with his dapper suits and ties and glasses, there's like a "My Fair Lady" thing going on with Rose.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That's sad. Male actors have it just as tough to keep up their appearances as women in certain cases.

It's interesting to compare the dynamic between Rose and Nine and Rose and Ten. Ten, with his shaved head, leather jacket and Northern accent seem like a fitting match. He and Rose looked like they could have hooked up at a pub or a football match. Nine, with his dapper suits and ties and glasses, there's like a "My Fair Lady" thing going on with Rose.

I think you've got your Nine and your Ten the wrong way round here - Nine is the one with the leather jacket and Northern accent, Ten is the one with suits, ties and glasses 😉

• Useful 1

Nine is my second favorite Doctor, just after Twelve. Well, I really like all of them so far, so the difference is really minimal, but still. And season 1 is my most favorite by far, I loved the Nine, Rose and Jack dynamic from the last few episodes.

I don't follow any of the audio stories, but I like that Christopher Eccleston has apparently made his peace with the show and returned for a new story. And I really liked this interview, it's refreshing that he admits it's a job to him and doesn't pretend he kept up with all of the episodes.

• Love 2
On 6/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Nine is my second favorite Doctor, just after Twelve. Well, I really like all of them so far, so the difference is really minimal, but still. And season 1 is my most favorite by far, I loved the Nine, Rose and Jack dynamic from the last few episodes.

I don't follow any of the audio stories, but I like that Christopher Eccleston has apparently made his peace with the show and returned for a new story. And I really liked this interview, it's refreshing that he admits it's a job to him and doesn't pretend he kept up with all of the episodes.

That was... fantastic! I agree - it's refreshing to hear an actor talk about the work as work. Ten is my favourite Doctor, but Nine is a very close second. It's always a little disconcerting to talk to an actor, or listen to them speak, about a role/show that you (as a viewer) are so invested in. You have almost certainly spent more time on the minutiae of the character and the story than they ever will. I've been on the receiving end of a blank/confused stare after asking a question about this scene, in that episode, that affected me so deeply - and the actor has no idea what I'm talking about. Not gonna lie, it's a little disappointing, but also understandable. I'm glad to see Christopher happy to portray Nine again, and I hope if this revisiting by RTD brings us a Doctors reunion of any sort, that he is involved.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
On 6/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Interesting! Nine is my favorite doctor (well after Four < but he is classic so...) I loved Nine and Rose! and Nine and Rose and Jack! and well -- just Nine by himself!

• Love 1