Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Cannes You Cook?

• Start Topic

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Special K said:

People have never needed smoking to slack off on their jobs.  Anyway, aren't specific breaks mandated in certain (mostly hourly) professions?  They used to call them coffee breaks and you had to have one every certain number of hours.  I guess we're going back to the days of slave wages and child labor, though.  😕

In salaried jobs, breaks are kind of whatever the boss will allow for whatever reason.  I mean people take breaks to pump breast milk, and many other reasons.  If reading the bible is your need, I suppose if your boss is ok with it, then OK. What the viewing public might say, well that's another matter... 🙂

Depends largely on the employer.  When I was hourly, I was "trusted" to make sure I got my 8 hours in, as well as an hour for lunch.  Breaks were on me if/when I wanted/needed them.  Another place I worked mandated 30 minutes for lunch and two fifteen minutes breaks regardless of need so I'd end up either combining them with lunch or taking fifteen minutes strolls around the block.  (I've also worked in a shop where the shift opened at 7, break was 9-9:17, lunch was 11:00-11:30 and then another break was 1:30-1:45, like clockwork because that was the schedule and you only broke the schedule if you were working a rush job and God help you for working through a break if you didn't need to because all the old heads would give you absolute hell for out-working them.)  In all of these situations, if I wanted to smoke, I had to make use of the break time.  I've also had co-workers who have used their break time to read scripture or listen to sermons.  I was never bothered by it, except for the one time one of my co-workers decided we all needed more Jesus in our lives and hijacked the radio to play her pastor's Easter sermon on repeat for three days. 

Edited by Lemur
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 6/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, Pickles said:

Do not like the Jennifer Berman woman at all. I would bet she has some arrangement with Bravo, so she can plug her medical practice and her devices. The blonde friend is obnoxious. Screaming for an ashtray, when there was one right where she was sitting. She is a loudmouth.

I think the "chef" is a plant. According to Hannah on WWHL last night, the beautiful pictures of plated food were actually from the Cordon Bleu website. I think she was planted by production and, of course, the crew was not informed. Very convenient that Anastasia is a chef. 

Totally a plant and if the food is so inedible what is the crew eating? Also crew hasn’t complained about food? Capt would have fired her immediately if the food was as bad as we are seeing...I mean this is the third charter !

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Marvin said:

And she is entitled to do so. Just as many would bow down before the Saudi Princes or the leaders of Al Qaeda. That is her right and she shouldn't face anger or discrimination for that - because then that makes you equally bigoted.

For them to act like children around her rather than engage is conversation is wrong. If you read Bret Stevens article in the NY Times, he articulate why better than i ever could https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/opinion/dying-art-of-disagreement.html#commentsContainer

I agree she shouldn't face discrimination (that would be bigoted) and she is allowed to think and say whatever she wants.  That does not however mean she shouldn't face anger (being angry is not bigoted).  Views and what you say have consequences.  Her coworkers need to work with her, not bully her but they don't need to like her or not be angry at her.  She has abhorrent thoughts/views that don't have to be tolerated and off work they can treat her like a pariah (ignore her) but they are paid to do a job and no one should let their personal feelings get in the way of that.   This is more than a disagreement.  

• Love 10
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

(being angry is not bigoted). 

x1000. Bigoted has a specific meaning. Disliking someone because of their opinions is COMPLETELY different from disliking someone because of their skin color, religion, or sexuality. And "not wanting to see two men kissing" (if you are perfectly OK seeing a hetero couple kissing) is bigoted. 

Avert your eyes if you must, but don't expect a lot of support if you voice your "ick."

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 14

Have you noticed that when there is work to be done Joao always calls on Colin while the other two dingleberries just stand around and smoke. You saw it when Colin got hurt. No wonder he says he wouldn’t want to hang out with this crew. It looks like Joao and Colin are doing most of the work. Joao seems reluctant to assert his authority. Especially with     Jack-off who needs to straightened out.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Lemur said:

Depends largely on the employer.  When I was hourly, I was "trusted" to make sure I got my 8 hours in, as well as an hour for lunch.  Breaks were on me if/when I wanted/needed them.  Another place I worked mandated 30 minutes for lunch and two fifteen minutes breaks regardless of need so I'd end up either combining them with lunch or taking fifteen minutes strolls around the block.  (I've also worked in a shop where the shift opened at 7, break was 9-9:17, lunch was 11:00-11:30 and then another break was 1:30-1:45, like clockwork because that was the schedule and you only broke the schedule if you were working a rush job and God help you for working through a break if you didn't need to because all the old heads would give you absolute hell for out-working them.)  In all of these situations, if I wanted to smoke, I had to make use of the break time.  I've also had co-workers who have used their break time to read scripture or listen to sermons.  I was never bothered by it, except for the one time one of my co-workers decided we all needed more Jesus in our lives and hijacked the radio to play her pastor's Easter sermon on repeat for three days. 

It probably has less to do with outworking someone, and more to do with noncompliance with labor laws. Companies have found themselves in a lot of trouble and have been made to pay back wages to employees who chose to not take their breaks. I think that's why some companies are really rigid with their break policies. 

On topic, Mila has the right to her beliefs, and everyone else has the right to choose not to associate with her if they find her beliefs offensive. From what I saw, Hannah was dealing with her professionally in the course of their jobs, but didn't want anything to do with her otherwise. Nothing wrong with that.

• Love 12
On 6/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, HunterHunted said:

This is the thing I don't really understand about Hannah. Why is she so desperate and needy around guys? She always approaches every man like she's been wandering in the desert for 40 years and that dude is a bottle of water. She can never just bang a guy because she wants to. She catches feelings with the quickness. The worst part about it is that she's really vocal about wanting a rich guy to take care of her so why bother with these broke ass yachties. The only one with any money is Ben and he rejected her. It's 6 weeks. Bring a vibrator!

Eh, so she's more than single-faceted. Last season sounded like she didn't want to catch feelings and tried not to, but did anyway. I've been there. And she's certainly not forcing any of the dudes who find her attractive to do anything with her. Jack freaking shaved one of his legs because he felt so starved for female attention and would still bang Mila despite everything. But he's an unrepentant reprobate with what seems like the inability to catch feelings other than the very physical kind (for himself). That pic of him with his most recent girlfriend--she looked gorgeous!--but god forbid he "stay loyal." Must be nice never to hold yourself accountable for anything and be enabled to do so. 

That said, he's amusing and I love how they always have subtitles for him, even if I wouldn't want to date him myself (those types, I've found, are really good at getting themselves off but not so much about paying attention to the other person with them). I would have matched him up with Aesha, but she's Olympic levels above him and he has the sense to recognize it. I do wonder what the pairings will be this season...

...and I say all this as someone who thought I'd never watch BD:Med again because of the shitshow that was last season. Oh well. 😄

Colin and his talking about "more signs" that tell him he shouldn't be doing this. Foreshadowing? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I kind of understand where  Colin is coming from. He seems like a very decent guy when is getting the short end of the stick. He is doing all of the work and the other dingleberries are getting the screen time and all the girls.

I think he should capitalize on his celebrity and open a bar in Staten Island. He can call it the  “Friend Zone.”

Edited by langford peel
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9

So obviously, the new crew members are not vetted. AT ALL. Their credentials are not checked - their resume is assumed to be truthful and pristine.  How stupid can you get (although I have learned not to ask that question - most people take it as a challenge).

• Love 4

I'm surprised Le Cordon Bleu hasn't publicly distanced themselves from Mila. As my grandmother used to say, she went to the back (back yard) of the school not inside it. Her food looks like something a 5 year old would make.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Rebky said:

So obviously, the new crew members are not vetted. AT ALL. Their credentials are not checked - their resume is assumed to be truthful and pristine.  How stupid can you get (although I have learned not to ask that question - most people take it as a challenge).

It's been pretty clear that this has always been an issue just based on everyone we've been nominating for the yacht of the damned. There's: Andrew Sturby, alcoholic Dane, hair model Trevor, lying Kasey, Sierra who was too dumb for words, Chris Brown, and Jenderella. After Lee fired Sturby, he crewed a couple of different yachts and got fired from each of those after a week. The deck crew when Nico was lead decksun was so fucking green that Captain Lee wouldn't leave the dock with them.

I'm literally only including people who were truly incompetent or dangerous. Leon was a pain in the ass. Rocky was a pain in the ass. Sam and CJ were pains in the ass. Danny was a pain in the ass and had no experience, but he never lied about any of it.

• Love 4
On 6/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, HunterHunted said:

Hannah has always been passive aggressive and gossipy. Though the person who actually lit the match was Anastasia who immediately shared it with Aesha, who was in that van, and then ran to the bathroom to share it with Hannah. Hannah comes back with standoffish body language. Hannah pulls Travis aside to chat with him about the incident. Hannah and Travis come back to the table. She asks Joao to move because she can't sit at Mila's end. Hannah sits down and shares it with Colin. At the same time, Aesha, Jack, and Travis start openly discussing it at the table. Hannah shares it with Joao when they go to the second bar. I feel like Anastasia and Hannah are equally guilty. Is a lying incompetent bigot owed decorum?

That dry mop on Mila's head is a PSA for tolerance. That hair is what happens when gay people are raised in bigoted repressive environments. If you don't care about human rights, at least care about your hair. This message is brought to you by GLAAD, the HRC, and Pantene.

In the getting ready for the charter montage, Mila is once again smelling things in the pantry. Why? They restocked the boat 3 days ago. This suggests that she is using old produce and didn't have the sense to move it forward and use it first. Though it's possible those could be the truffles too. Canned shrimp and crab though. In my best Tom Colicchio voice, "If you know the product is no good, you don't have to use it and you certainly don't have to serve it." For fucks sake.

Reveal spoiler

Hannah said on WWHL that a google image search of Mila's dish reveals that they were someone else's. I am unsurprised.

Sexy Hitler. Jack might be the biggest fuckboi on tv right now.

She was sooooooooooooo trashy. Just a loud drunk trashy mess.

I remember her from "The Doctors" before she just disappeared .I'm wondering if her trashy behavior got her in trouble. She had me smh the entire time.

3 hours ago, HouseofBeck said:

That said, he's amusing and I love how they always have subtitles for him, even if I wouldn't want to date him myself (those types, I've found, are really good at getting themselves off but not so much about paying attention to the other person with them). I would have matched him up with Aesha, but she's Olympic levels above him and he has the sense to recognize it. I do wonder what the pairings will be this season...

Although I usually love English accents, I can't handle his and how lazy it sounds. It's like a continuous mumble ending with a slight inflection which makes every utterance sound like a question. I want to bark at him to quit being lazy and ENUNCIATE, please. And I usually like a good head of hair on a guy (or bald - like 'em both) but Jack is one of the 'undateables' to me because he doesn't look like he's had a shower in forever. Not my cup of tea at all (as he would say, heh).

• Love 8

Hannah was aimless for the first day or so and you could see the glee in her eyes when she learned that Mila is a prejudice, homophobic, incompetent. Remember when Hannah was perseverating on Kasey fudged resume? Even though she caught on quick and worked her ass off, Hannah NEEDS someone to belittle and bully. She was loving every minute when she'd go to the Captain and point out Mila's inedible food, but boy, she was thrilled with the anti-gay comments. She's counting on her future bullying, insulting, etc. behaviour will be forgiven because Mila is anti-gay. (Fair enough - Does Mila not realize who rents yachts?) However, Hannah will take it too far, as she always does. Lastly, Hannah is a sloppy drunk, especially around men. Remember her trying to bed Adam, and poor little Conrad couldn't even hide from her after he decided no more. Colin did a hilarious impression of drunk, sex-seeking Hannah. Ah well, 40 is going to come up on her very quickly, and poor Hannah is not going to receive it well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 3:45 PM, scrb said:

Grilled cheese is poor people's food.

Grilled cheese is unacceptable!

Grilled cheese is comfort food. Perfectly fine if it's on your preference sheet or you request it.

Grilled cheese is that easy on the tummy late night snack to munch as I watch the moonlight on the ocean after an exquisite dinner when I have insomnia.

Elevated grilled cheese is that interesting  thing Ben or Adrien will make with local bread and cheese with something yummy to dip it in while we are playing with the water toys.

An easy, simple, plain grilled cheese would be wonderful if I'm under the weather and can't eat what the others are enjoying.

Strawberry Frosted Poptarts toasted well and buttered on both sides is something I will bring on board myself. I'll ask to borrow the toaster and ask whatever crew that's up if they want some too.

Edited by Giselle
Auto corruption strikes again
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That is not how I remember that at all. She couldn’t even sweep.

I was gonna say! She spent the first couple charters seasick and the rest of the time clueless. There was lots of hard work blaming this on Hannah, but that’s about it. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

Strawberry Frosted Poptarts toasted well and buttered on both sides is something I will bring on board myself. I'll ask to borrow the toaster and ask whatever crew that's up if they want some too

I’d only heard of buttering Pop Tarts from an episode of “Family Guy”(*ducks*). That’s really a thing? I had no idea!

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I’d only heard of buttering Pop Tarts from an episode of “Family Guy”(*ducks*). That’s really a thing? I had no idea!

Try it!

I've been eating them that way for decades since I was a kidlet. Never watched Family Guy. 

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2

Grilled cheese sammi and tomato soup.  In the summer, I like to take tomatoes from the vine, roast them with basil and garlic and then puree it into a soup.  

I just came across an article about Joao's response over Mila.  He posted beautiful family photos with Auntie Shackles.  I had forgot about his TH during the show.  It's on his Twitter account if you'd like to see. Also!  His brother looks cute!

Apologies for being Joao's cheerleader this season.  

cheri oteri cheerleader GIF

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Grilled cheese sammi and tomato soup.  In the summer, I like to take tomatoes from the vine, roast them with basil and garlic and then puree it into a soup.  

I just came across an article about Joao's response over Mila.  He posted beautiful family photos with Auntie Shackles.  I had forgot about his TH during the show.  It's on his Twitter account if you'd like to see. Also!  His brother looks cute!

Apologies for being Joao's cheerleader this season.  

cheri oteri cheerleader GIF

GC & TS...  A match made in heaven!

Oooooh that it's so yummy Dosodog. I do the same thing.  In summertime, when it's super hot, I also like a spicy  cold gazpacho with my grilled cheese.

And no apologies about Joao! So far he's better this season and seems to be doing a great job. I'll admit that.

P.S. have you ever had the Three Cheese Monte Cristo at Disneyland. Yum!

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Obviously “Call me Captain” Sandy has to fire the chef on the next episode. Nothing else makes any sense.

I thought for sure the Mila would have fired before the second charter. Wasn't it revealed she licked the steaks? How can production allow her to continue? That is just wrong on every level.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I'm feeling rather dense because I don't get what's funny about "Crab salad--no claws."  Can someone clue me in?  

To me it was doubly funny.  First, you wouldn't expect claws in crab salad.  That's just basic.  As if maybe she thinks the claws themselves are edible. 

Second, because it came out of a can.  She wasn't breaking up a crab and pulling the meat out where maybe a piece of the claw or shell would end up in there. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

To me it was doubly funny.  First, you wouldn't expect claws in crab salad.  That's just basic.  As if maybe she thinks the claws themselves are edible. 

Second, because it came out of a can.  She wasn't breaking up a crab and pulling the meat out where maybe a piece of the claw or shell would end up in there. 

I assumed the use of claw was just a mixup in language and she meant shell and she was trying to use the one benefit for canned crab is that you typically don’t have to pick out shells like fresh lump crab.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I thought for sure the Mila would have fired before the second charter. Wasn't it revealed she licked the steaks? How can production allow her to continue? That is just wrong on every level.

Because it's good tv in their eyes and it's working, look how we're talking about it. In the real world she would be fired.

I'm sure the guests on that charter had a conversation with the production company and bravo after the episodes aired. I'd bet they either got some of their money back or they will be in a make-up cruise next season.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Going into this season after not caring for Hannah past seasons, I had high hopes for her after the first couple of episodes. After about 20 minutes of this episode, not so much. She acts like she’s in middle school. I don’t agree with what Mila said at all, but Hannah is spreading what she said like wildfire.  Her lack of decorum doesn’t say chief stew to me.

So if someone is homophobic or racist just keep quiet?  I don't think so.  And it wasn't like Mila told Hannah this in confidence.  She was very proud of her homophobic opinions.

Mila is trash, plus she can't cook.  She is the weakest link.

I don't think Mila is a plant at all.  I used to work in a place, where a woman was hired who lied about her credentials.  They'd done a phone interview with her as she was in another country.  Turns out, she only wanted to come to the US to have her babies, as she was nearly 9 months pregnant when she arrived.   

So I can believe that Mila could have lied about her credentials just to get on TV.  Some people don't care about how they look, just as long as they're on TV.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 14
21 hours ago, Rebky said:

I think their resumes are thoroughly vetted.  And they did a damn good job this season.

If someone had told me last season that they would nearly rehabilitate Sandy, Joao, and Hannah's characters in three episodes, have them all get along, and still have drama I would have called them a liar.

But then came Mila.  "Perfect" casting for their agenda.  Just not a person that belongs on a crew or in a kitchen; but that is why there is drama.

• Love 7

Hannah might not be great, but I'll take her over homophobe Mila any day.

Mila pisses me off because I am sure there are still places in the world where being gay is a crime, people have been murdered because they were gay.

It's not like Mila went up to Hannah and told her something like, "gay people make me uncomfortable, please don't tell anybody I said that."  And then Hannah blabbed it.  Mila proudly stated her opinion.  So if she's so proud about her opinion, then don't get upset when people don't like her because of it.

• Love 22
On 6/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, langford peel said:

Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit but it lets you get a lot of breaks. Nobody says anything about it and lazy bastards like Liverpool boy and dirty girl Hannah take maximum advantage.

Image if someone wanted to take a five minute break every couple of hours to read their bible?

That actually reminded me what happened 25 years ago when I started my first job in major printing company that printed newspapers for whole Slovakia. Everyone was allowed 5 minute break out of every hour. So we nonsmokers decided to take our break as well as it was supposedly required by law. Few days later there was big issue about us nonsmokers and even had to go to big office. Like we were not allowed the break if we didn't smoke!!! Such a bulshit. Plus smokers had this special sitting area that was awfully stinky so we had to go sit some other place. This was still during communism (so workers were organized) before Velvet revolution few months later. Finally we nonsmokers got a monsmoking nook to just chill there. Those smokers still didn't understand why we needed our own spot and why we got break if we didn't smoke 😬

P.s. To this day I have never ever even tried smoking or never even held cigarette in my hand or mouth. NEVER!!! Absolutely hate it. Once I made a mistake and kissed someone who smoked and I will never ever make that mistake again. Its the most disgusting thing ever. Yuck!!!  I was very proud of my dad who stopped smoking when I was 10 and my sister 7. He just went cold turkey after smoking for 20 years and did it for us as he knew we hated it. He never even smoked around us and would go out on balcony. But finally decided to do it and he did. I wish I had his strong will because I know it was not easy. Back then there were no smoking cessations or chewing gums to help you in our communist country.  

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Going into this season after not caring for Hannah past seasons, I had high hopes for her after the first couple of episodes. After about 20 minutes of this episode, not so much. She acts like she’s in middle school. I don’t agree with what Mila said at all, but Hannah is spreading what she said like wildfire.  Her lack of decorum doesn’t say chief stew to me.

Totally agree. I try to like her, but she always finds a way to be so unprofessional.

Edited by SallySarue
  • Love 2
On 6/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, Marvin said:

I disagree with what Mila said, but i believe she had a right to say it. People are entitled to their opinions and beliefs and they are not always going to align with yours. If everyone had the same opinions or thoughts, the world would be a boring place and every conversation or discussion would be very dull ! 

She didn't incite hatred or promote violence or anything like that - she just said she didn't like the gay lifestyle. A lot of people don't - especially those with strict religious beliefs. There are many that hate Islam or Christianity and disagree with the beliefs of those that practice it. It doesn't however mean that they hate Christians or Muslims or don't like the individual people themselves.

When you work in a multi-cultural setting, you have to be tolerant of many opinions, beliefs, lifestyles etc. When you start reacting to opposing opinions with hatred, anger etc - you are walking a path towards fascism and a closed society.  When you don't allow opinions or beliefs to be expressed,  you create extremism, division and hate. It is much better to openly discuss such things and openly argue for or against them in a calm manner using facts rather than feelings !

Just look at the political climate today to see an example of this. You can see the hatred between the right and left and the violence between both just because one side doesn't agree with the other !

She can say what she wants and she can think what she wants, but so can the others.  And they did.  If she wants to share what she thinks and feels, then she also has to be open to hearing what they think and feel.  And if her thoughts and feelings change the way other people look at her, that's part of the deal that comes from speaking those beliefs in public.  Mila is taking a stance that someone's fundamental being should be hidden and is disgusting because it is not to her taste, she doesn't care for it.  Something that they can't change.  If she wants to feel that way, fine, I guess.  

I'm not sure what the reaction someone could have other than nope, that's offensive.  If you want to feel that way, cool, but it's offensive and disgusting.  No one fired her, no one attacked her, they told her they didn't want to hear that language and that it was offensive.  They decided to distance themselves from her.  That's one of the consequences you might face when you speak your mind, even in a society with free speech.  

On 6/19/2019 at 8:59 AM, Lemur said:

I think you'd be surprised.  I smoked for 20 years and very few people knew I smoked because I never smoked in a confined space and was fastidious as the odor on my clothes, hair and breath.  If you're outside, and especially it's breezy, the smoke never has time to settle.  That said, yes, it can be very disconcerting and off-putting if someone is serving your food and their hands stink of nicotine. 

It's pretty easy to tell when someone comes in from smoking, if you are someone who doesn't smoke.  It's a really distinct smell, you can often even tell if they've just come in or if it's been a while since they've gone out to smoke.  

On 6/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, Special K said:

People have never needed smoking to slack off on their jobs.  Anyway, aren't specific breaks mandated in certain (mostly hourly) professions?  They used to call them coffee breaks and you had to have one every certain number of hours.  I guess we're going back to the days of slave wages and child labor, though.  😕

In salaried jobs, breaks are kind of whatever the boss will allow for whatever reason.  I mean people take breaks to pump breast milk, and many other reasons.  If reading the bible is your need, I suppose if your boss is ok with it, then OK. What the viewing public might say, well that's another matter... 🙂

I've had a few jobs before where we had a specified lunch break but other than that, breaks weren't set.  It was retail and if things were busy, all hands were on deck.  But when things slowed down? Most of us would start cleaning up, emptying trash, doing whatever random stuff has to get done in down time, prepping for the next busy time, etc.  Smokers? They ran for a break.  Every time it slowed, they got a break.  If you didn't smoke? You got a list of stuff that needed to be done.  Restaurants are similar.  When it's busy, everyone's busy and doing stuff.  When it slows down, smokers head to take a break, while nonsmokers start cleaning stuff up, doing prep work for the next meal or closing, emptying trash, sweeping, etc.  It's simply expected that if you are a nonsmoker, you will move onto the next task and the smokers get the break because they NEED it.  And if you point out that you aren't getting a break, it's "but it's just 2 minutes, and anyway they're going to do x, y and z" Except it's never JUST 2 minutes and they don't end up doing those things.

7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Hannah might not be great, but I'll take her over homophobe Mila any day.

Mila pisses me off because I am sure there are still places in the world where being gay is a crime, people have been murdered because they were gay.

Like Russia.  

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, SallySarue said:

Totally agree. I try to like her, but she always finds a way to be so unprofessional.

She is not Mila’s Superior and offered support to her when they were actually working I fail to see how any of the actions when socializing were unprofessional and on the job her behavior toward Mila hasn’t changed and she didn’t tell Sandy.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

Those pancakes make me irrationally angry. It is not hard to make pancakes—especially from a box. My pancakes are from a box (I prefer Krusteaz which my husband calls Crusy Ass) and they are always light and fluffy. She couldn’t even follow the directions on the back of the damn box. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

In that preview Mila seemed to be implying that she got the AJ mix because of the criticism on the earlier charter-- but it seems like that's something that must have been provisioned from the beginning--- is AJ mix even that common in Nice? I smell producer involvement. Here Mila-- this is what all Americans use to make pancakes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Neurochick said:

So I can believe that Mila could have lied about her credentials just to get on TV. 

I noticed when it first came up that Mila only said she had gone to Le Cordon Bleu, and didn't phrase things in a way to claim she had successfully completed training. That could have been a language thing, and she was just a D student, but she may have flunked/dropped out. If the producers checked, they probably just called and asked if somebody by that name had attended,

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

In that preview Mila seemed to be implying that she got the AJ mix because of the criticism on the earlier charter-- but it seems like that's something that must have been provisioned from the beginning--- is AJ mix even that common in Nice? I smell producer involvement. Here Mila-- this is what all Americans use to make pancakes.

I can’t speak specifically for Nice but yes, you can find AJ mix overseas. I just recently moved back to the US after living overseas (Middle East) and there was usually an American aisle, plus grocery stores that catered to expats (especially in the Middle East). In the UK, the American food was usually in the Ethnic Food aisles and would carry our junk food plus the Old El Paso line.  LOL. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

The thing is though is that pancakes are ridiculously easy to make from scratch (I just have impatient kids that don’t want to wait first thing in the morning). All it is is some flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, eggs, and butter. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

The thing is though is that pancakes are ridiculously easy to make from scratch (I just have impatient kids that don’t want to wait first thing in the morning). All it is is some flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, eggs, and butter. 

Do you really think Mila could do that?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

You can also make the batter the night before.  That is what my grandmother did.  The batter may thicken a bit but you just need to add a little milk.  She learned this from my great grandmother, who had 19 children.  She cooked them over a huge wood stove on 6 cast iron fry pans.  If my great grandma could make pancakes from scratch for 21 people, trained chef Milla should be able to make a stack of pancakes for one guest.,

• Love 10

I just hope the guests are getting some of their money back from this show. I know they are aware that it is a TV show and they signed something but they shouldn't be paying even 40% of the cost and be served slop.

It's wrong to do, even more so if it is a producer set up.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

This is what I keep keying on and why there are these big boxes of produce just out on the counter or on the floor. She has filled the fridge, pantries, and bilge with processed food, but she still needs to stock all the real ingredients too. She still needs to stock flour and all those other ingredients for all of those other non-pancake foods that need those raw ingredients.

The worst part about it besides being an absolutely awful culinary experience for the guests is that it obfuscates the smart informed decision-making and work that a chef in that environment can do. Almost all of the chefs have purchased refrigerated or frozen pastry just because pastry and bread work requires a decent amount of space and consistent conditions that aren't available on a ship, but we've also seen chefs make cakes, cookies, mousse, sorbet, ice cream, and do a bit of sugar work. They don't usually make their own stocks, but we see them use high quality stocks and demi glace to build flavor. We rarely see the chefs making pasta from scratch, but they still turn out amazing delicious sounding and looking dishes. Part of the enjoyment of this show is watching professionals try to provide 5 star level service in less than ideal situations.

• Love 14

I was thinking about what I would do if I had a vacation on a Below Deck yacht. I wouldn’t use any of the water toys because of health constraints although the rest of the family might. My concern would be with the food.

I confess I would micromanage what we were served at meals. I want to know what we are having for every meal. In detail. So I could veto some of the outlandish concoctions that some of them come up with. I cook for my family and sometimes I have to cook three different dinners due to health concerns or strong preferences. I would expect nothing less on a trip I would be paying so much money for as reported in the press.

I don’t understand why the guests are not more vocal about this.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, langford peel said:

don’t understand why the guests are not more vocal about this.

We have seen some guests be vocal about the food but the fact of the matter is a lot of people don’t care that much about the food.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know and I just don’t understand that. You pay so much money. Don’t you want to eat like a king if you a paying a kings ransom?

I think that they don’t want to look bad so they accept it. The last charter should have been a lot more vocal about the horrible inappropriate food they were served.

A foie gras burger? I am totally grossed out. I don’t want to see anything stuffed down a goose’s throat. Except maybe Kyle Richards.

Wait a minute.....those were swans.....never mind.

Edited by langford peel
  • LOL 9