Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Cannes You Cook?

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

I’m pretty easy-going when it comes to being on vacation & being served, but if I was on some super swanky yacht & was eating a grilled cheese sammy... I would NOT be happy!!!

Totally agree!  I think the guy asked for a grilled cheese as a last resort -- he was starving, anyone can make one, and it would probably not give him food poisoning.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I love grilled cheese and would rather have it as a snack then any of the fancy concoctions that some of these so called chefs come up with.

Everyone would mock me but I would be perfectly happy with a snack of mini grilled cheese sandwiches, hamburger sliders, tater tots and pigs in a blanket.  With a cold beer.

Perfect!

• Love 16

Do not like the Jennifer Berman woman at all. I would bet she has some arrangement with Bravo, so she can plug her medical practice and her devices. The blonde friend is obnoxious. Screaming for an ashtray, when there was one right where she was sitting. She is a loudmouth.

I think the "chef" is a plant. According to Hannah on WWHL last night, the beautiful pictures of plated food were actually from the Cordon Bleu website. I think she was planted by production and, of course, the crew was not informed. Very convenient that Anastasia is a chef. 

• Love 14
(edited)
17 hours ago, pieinmyeye said:

Going into this season after not caring for Hannah past seasons, I had high hopes for her after the first couple of episodes. After about 20 minutes of this episode, not so much. She acts like she’s in middle school. I don’t agree with what Mila said at all, but Hannah is spreading what she said like wildfire.  Her lack of decorum doesn’t say chief stew to me.

I can't stand Hannah.  She's a mean girl and worse, she's a lazy, generally unprofessional mean girl.   I don't agree with Mila's opinion and find it narrowminded and pretty shitty but there's no reason to drag your crew to the bathroom or on a smoke break in order to gossip about it.  Hannah is supposed to be the chief stew.  Maybe she should start acting like it.

Clearly she and Travis are going to have a thing.  Heaven forbid Hannah go an entire 6 weeks without getting involved with a coworker.  

Jack is either extremely laid back or fairly lazy but he's endearing and pretty funny.  Sexy Hitler?  OMG!  

Joao has got it going on this season.  He is hardworking and definitely takes his position seriously.  I can't see Hannah and her 20,000 smoke breaks doing that.  In fact, wasn't Hannah griping about how she had 5 or 6 cabins to do turndown on while she was at either cleaning a glass or making a drink?   So yeah, she's not necessarily doing the 5 or 6 cabins; more like Aesha - - who is crazy AF but entertaining.  I like that she's pretty happy but she might also be seriously exhausting.  I do love her accent though.  (Who am I kidding?  I love ALL the foreign accents.) 

Mila must have padded her resume or flat out lied.  These friends of Captain Sandy's are total assholes but surely a trained chef has had people complain about food before?  Get a grip, throw a pan like Ben if you need to but then turn out a kick ass meal.   

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 6

I think Joao has finally got a clue. The key to this show is that keep two or three people for familiarity and cast a new bunch of knuckleheads for the old timers to react too and play off of to create drama. Hannah has sort of run her course and should be replaced next season. Either Hannah or Sandy has to go. If they keep on Joao as the “professional” he might get two or three more cycles out of the show.

Smart play.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I’m pretty easy-going when it comes to being on vacation & being served, but if I was on some super swanky yacht & was eating a grilled cheese sammy... I would NOT be happy!!!

It depends.  If I ask for it because I'm drunk or having digestive issues, that's one thing.  If it's because chef is a frizzy-haired incompetent best fit to serve as chum who just served canned crab and frozen shrimp while having access to fresh seafood, I would be incredibly not happy.

17 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Mila must have padded her resume or flat out lied.  These friends of Captain Sandy's are total assholes but surely a trained chef has had people complain about food before?  Get a grip, throw a pan like Ben if you need to but then turn out a kick ass meal.   

Spoiler

Hannah said on WWHL last night that she lied on her resume, maybe never graduated La Cordon Bleu (kinda missed this part) and they were able to Google reverse image search all of her dishes back to other people (definitely heard this part). 

Edited by Lemur
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I’m liking everyone this season with the exception of Mila, who can’t cook and kind of just sucks as a human being in general. More gross food that just proves she can’t cook at all. Once Sandy gets a load of her unenlightened views (and Hannah will make sure she does), she is gone. There’s a reason why we’ve only seen so much of her in the previews. I was really looking forward to seeing our first female chef, but Mila is just a joke. Thank heavens Anastasia is there, not that her common sense advise is followed by Mila (why wouldn’t you just leave a steak to cook on a burner after it’s done?). 

Joao is impressing me with his unexpected professionalism. Nice change from last year.

The blonde guest with the big mouth really gets on my last nerve. I’d be embarrassed to act like that on TV.

• Love 8

I disagree with what Mila said, but i believe she had a right to say it. People are entitled to their opinions and beliefs and they are not always going to align with yours. If everyone had the same opinions or thoughts, the world would be a boring place and every conversation or discussion would be very dull ! 

She didn't incite hatred or promote violence or anything like that - she just said she didn't like the gay lifestyle. A lot of people don't - especially those with strict religious beliefs. There are many that hate Islam or Christianity and disagree with the beliefs of those that practice it. It doesn't however mean that they hate Christians or Muslims or don't like the individual people themselves.

When you work in a multi-cultural setting, you have to be tolerant of many opinions, beliefs, lifestyles etc. When you start reacting to opposing opinions with hatred, anger etc - you are walking a path towards fascism and a closed society.  When you don't allow opinions or beliefs to be expressed,  you create extremism, division and hate. It is much better to openly discuss such things and openly argue for or against them in a calm manner using facts rather than feelings !

Just look at the political climate today to see an example of this. You can see the hatred between the right and left and the violence between both just because one side doesn't agree with the other !

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

As far as chief stews go, Hannah couldn’t carry Kate’s toilet brush.

Seriously.  I am fairly new to BD, having only watched the past season of BD before this one, and I sorely miss Kate and Josiah.

• Love 5
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I disagree with what Mila said, but i believe she had a right to say it. People are entitled to their opinions and beliefs and they are not always going to align with yours. If everyone had the same opinions or thoughts, the world would be a boring place and every conversation or discussion would be very dull ! 

She didn't incite hatred or promote violence or anything like that - she just said she didn't like the gay lifestyle. A lot of people don't - especially those with strict religious beliefs. There are many that hate Islam or Christianity and disagree with the beliefs of those that practice it. It doesn't however mean that they hate Christians or Muslims or don't like the individual people themselves.

But she didn’t just say that-she praises someone who does trample on human rights in many ways. That is different than just not liking someone’s lifestyle. I don’t like when men wear jean shorts. But I’m not cheering jorts wearers being prosecuted or discriminated against. She also kept talking about her freedom of speech. Trick-you are Russian in French/international waters-curious to where the US Constitution applies. And like posters pointed out, it just protects you from being prosecuted-it doesn’t protect her from my opinion of thinking she is a dumb, useless, hateful bag of hair. I’m sure she would think I’m hateful against a big haired Pillock &  that’s fine  

My friend said Aesha’s voice sounds like auto tune & I thought she nailed it. I think she’s hysterical-I want to have a beer with her. I’m not sure Jaoa would find her so funny if she wasn’t so conventionally pretty.   

Edited by jmcd44
Extra words don’t make sense!
  • Love 23
8 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

But she didn’t just say that-she praises someone who does trample on human rights in many ways.

And she is entitled to do so. Just as many would bow down before the Saudi Princes or the leaders of Al Qaeda. That is her right and she shouldn't face anger or discrimination for that - because then that makes you equally bigoted.

For them to act like children around her rather than engage is conversation is wrong. If you read Bret Stevens article in the NY Times, he articulate why better than i ever could https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/opinion/dying-art-of-disagreement.html#commentsContainer

• Love 6

Sounds like we're wandering into the Intolerance Paradox territory ...

That said, Joao seems to have gotten his act together.  I don't think he's mentioned Zimbabwe to a guest once yet.  (If I'm wrong, correct me.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, langford peel said:

I love grilled cheese and would rather have it as a snack then any of the fancy concoctions that some of these so called chefs come up with.

Everyone would mock me but I would be perfectly happy with a snack of mini grilled cheese sandwiches, hamburger sliders, tater tots and pigs in a blanket.  With a cold beer.

Perfect!

I'm with you as long as it's a mix of comfort food cooked better than I can do it (my nachos might be criticized for being nachos, but they're edible and don't look like vomited up corn...), but I do want some schmancy food I'm never going to get otherwise.

Really I want my yacht chef to be a dessert expert.  THAT'S where my vacation food focus lies.  And local sandwiches. 

I believe sandwiches can speak volumes about a culture and country.

Has Joao said Zimbabwe this year?

Edited by dosodog
Zimbabwe! I find it fun to say!
  • Love 6

She has the right to free speech, though not in Russia.

But the crew has the right to have nothing to do with her for her shitty views.

If she's going to live and work with people, she's going to have to respect their different views and maybe, just maybe, open up her mind a bit.

That often happens to people when they interact with others from different cultures and backgrounds.

She can say whatever she wants to get herself shunned.

• Love 13
(edited)
6 minutes ago, dosodog said:

I'm with you as long as it's a mix of comfort food cooked better than I can do it (my nachos might be criticized for being nachos, but they're edible and don't look like vomited up corn...), but I do want some schmancy food I'm never going to get otherwise.

Really I want my yacht chef to be a dessert expert.  THAT'S where my vacation food focus lies.  And local sandwiches. 

I believe sandwiches can speak volumes about a culture and country.

I agree that I would like to try some fancy pants stuff. But at dinner. Breakfast and lunch should be good solid food so you can fuel up and get in the water or go on an excursion. From what I saw her breakfast and lunch are abysmal.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Yes, last night when talking about his Uncle and how being gay was illegal in Zimbabwe so he ended up killing himself. 

• Love 5

Is there something about being in that industry that inspires smoking?  I know that younger kids around our community are now using Juul.  (e-cigarettes), and most older adults don't smoke.  So, is it still popular with the 20-30's crowd?  It just seems yesteryear. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Mila is a Putin plant!  And she secretly is in love with him due to his pecs.  Gay men never have pecs like that, Putin told her.  She's obviously part of the Russia Mafia, or the KGB.  See how sneaky she was when she licked that stake?  She's hiding her addiction to vodka, because her brain is fried due to the Mediterranean heat.  Russian only has snow, ya know.... Just a few observations... 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

Grilled cheese is poor people's food.

Grilled cheese is unacceptable!

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is there something about being in that industry that inspires smoking?  I know that younger kids around our community are now using Juul.  (e-cigarettes), and most older adults don't smoke.  So, is it still popular with the 20-30's crowd?  It just seems yesteryear. 

I'm in California and we're kind of our own extreme little entity, so mileage may vary, but I always notice people smoking more when I travel, especially when in Europe. 

Hannah should be thanking her lucky stars for Travis and Jack, they are saving her the lazy edit this year.  Those two are always just standing around gabbing and never actually working.  Jack is worse than Travis, but both are bad.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, snarts said:

Still not understanding why everyone else can freely discuss Mila's comments but it makes Hannah mean, lazy & unprofessional,  Guessing the answer resides in the first line.  

In terms of her title, I can't even fathom what kind of over the top reaction Kate would've had to Mila., both her cooking & social views.  

Mila is obviously allowed to speak her mind, but that doesn't mean people won't have a reaction to her comments.  No one screamed or yelled at her, they simply started to avoid her. I would've done the same. 

I didn't say that Hannah discussing Mila's comments made her mean, lazy and unprofessional.  Hannah was mean, lazy, and unprofessional long before Mila ever set foot on the boat.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, terrymct said:

I also hope the stews are smart enough not to start having sex with the deck hands.  That never, ever goes well.  I've said this in past seasons, but it bears repeating.  I work on boats.  I have relatives who manage high end charters.   In neither case is fraternization among the crew allowed.  Nor is bringing a one night stand back to the boat allowed.  You'd lose your job on the spot.

This is Bravo reality, not real life.

Fraternization is encouraged!

In fact, if the cast member wants to come back in future season, hook up on camera!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Clearly she and Travis are going to have a thing.  Heaven forbid Hannah go an entire 6 weeks without getting involved with a coworker.  

This is the thing I don't really understand about Hannah. Why is she so desperate and needy around guys? She always approaches every man like she's been wandering in the desert for 40 years and that dude is a bottle of water. She can never just bang a guy because she wants to. She catches feelings with the quickness. The worst part about it is that she's really vocal about wanting a rich guy to take care of her so why bother with these broke ass yachties. The only one with any money is Ben and he rejected her. It's 6 weeks. Bring a vibrator!

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Blindfox said:

Once Sandy gets a load of her unenlightened views (and Hannah will make sure she does), she is gone.

Hannah said on WWHL that she didn't tell Sandy because Sandy likely wouldn't fire Mila for different beliefs. Sandy would only fire someone for poor job performance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

This is the thing I don't really understand about Hannah. Why is she so desperate and needy around guys? She always approaches every man like she's been wandering in the desert for 40 years and that dude is a bottle of water. She can never just bang a guy because she wants to. She catches feelings with the quickness. The worst part about it is that she's really vocal about wanting a rich guy to take care of her so why bother with these broke ass yachties. The only one with any money is Ben and her rejected her. It's 6 weeks. Bring a vibrator!

Exactly.  Or find Jesus on another boat like Kate did.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes... It's a really good way to remove you from any situation ! Nobody will contest it (for real 😉 )

• Love 1

In addition to all the smack that’s been said about Hannah here (all deserved) I’d like to point out that she’s also a moron. 

She said that the word for wine in French is “vino” and then pronounced Chianti as chee-ahn-tee.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Well I’ll be the lone fan of Hannah. I don’t like everything she’s ever done, especially last season, but I generally like her. I like Kate, too. 

I couldn’t stand Mila from the start, and she keeps getting worse and worse. I’m sure she’s not long for this show.  

Joao is working hard this season so far, and seems to be working hard to get along with his crew, and everyone, actually. 

Anastasia is a gem. Ayesha seems very intelligent, but somewhat immature. I’d bet that she uses a bit more discretion as she gets a little older. She’s sweet, though. 

I still like Colin. I’m liking Captain Sandy a lot more this season. 

The other deck crew members, I keep getting their names mixed up. Long-haired guy looks better when he’s not speaking. Short-haired guy seems fine so far. 

Capt. Sandy’s friend that’s the main guest on this charter is a bit over the top with her vaginal/orgasmic talk, but I’ve known of her for years now. She and her sister, who is also a doctor, used to be on Good Morning America and other shows, for medical segments. That bleached-blonde guest was really annoying. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Hannah said on WWHL that she didn't tell Sandy because Sandy likely wouldn't fire Mila for different beliefs. Sandy would only fire someone for poor job performance.

That’s the first time I have a modicum of respect for “Call me Captain” Sandy.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, TV Glotzer said:

In addition to all the smack that’s been said about Hannah here (all deserved) I’d like to point out that she’s also a moron. 

She said that the word for wine in French is “vino” and then pronounced Chianti as chee-ahn-tee.  

Well, she said visited the south of France with her mother, loved it, and moved there. She googled jobs in France that don't require a person to speak French. It led her to yachting. Hannah speaks no French. While she loves her wine, I think she figures if gets the message across more or less vin or vino doesn't matter.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

I think that's how someone from England or Australia would pronounce chianti.

See Hannibal Lector and the fava bean line.

• LOL 5
46 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Heh, well I don't mean that! 🙂  I just feel like cook me something I can't cook myself.

I took the original comment to be a joke about some guests from a previous charter (not sure if it was BD or BDM) where the guest said that chicken was unacceptable and low class food.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

I took the original comment to be a joke about some guests from a previous charter (not sure if it was BD or BDM) where the guest said that chicken was unacceptable and low class food.

Oh that's right! I remember now 😉  I wasn't butt hurt tho  😉  In fact, I can be a snob when I need/want to.

• LOL 5
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's still very common in the service industry, as drinking and smoking go hand in hand and smokers get more breaks.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Lemur said:

It's still very common in the service industry, as drinking and smoking go hand in hand and smokers get more breaks.  

I'm not particularly picky about this, but, to me, if a person paid the very high cost of that kind of experience and then they are approached by a deck hand or server, who reeks of smoke..........I  think they might find it unacceptable.  No matter how much you try to air things, spray on stuff, disguise it, etc.  cigarette smoke lingers on regular smokers' clothes, hair, skin and breathe.  At least that's been my experience.  I could understand doing it on your own time, after the guests are gone and you are out after a tour, but, during the tour.....it just seems odd to me. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not particularly picky about this, but, to me, if a person paid the very high cost of that kind of experience and then they are approached by a deck hand or server, who reeks of smoke..........I  think they might find it unacceptable.  No matter how much you try to air things, spray on stuff, disguise it, etc.  cigarette smoke lingers on regular smokers' clothes, hair, skin and breathe.  At least that's been my experience.  I could understand doing it on your own time, after the guests are gone and you are out after a tour, but, during the tour.....it just seems odd to me. 

I think you'd be surprised.  I smoked for 20 years and very few people knew I smoked because I never smoked in a confined space and was fastidious as the odor on my clothes, hair and breath.  If you're outside, and especially it's breezy, the smoke never has time to settle.  That said, yes, it can be very disconcerting and off-putting if someone is serving your food and their hands stink of nicotine. 

• Love 14

I can't stand Hannah.  She's a mean girl and worse, she's a lazy, generally unprofessional mean girl.   I don't agree with Mila's opinion and find it narrowminded and pretty shitty but there's no reason to drag your crew to the bathroom or on a smoke break in order to gossip about it.  Hannah is supposed to be the chief stew.  Maybe she should start acting like it.

Agreed. Hannah was practically salivating over Mila's situation. Hannah loves when somebody else get in trouble, and she swoops in and inserts herself into the drama...and then prolongs it. And I laughed heartily at this (paraphrasing heavily): "If I had been there I would have knocked her out." Nice professional attitude, chief stew. And cowardly to boot. Can't stand her, wish the show would get rid of her.

• Love 9

Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit but it lets you get a lot of breaks. Nobody says anything about it and lazy bastards like Liverpool boy and dirty girl Hannah take maximum advantage.

Image if someone wanted to take a five minute break every couple of hours to read their bible?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Image if someone wanted to take a five minute break every couple of hours to read their bible?

People have never needed smoking to slack off on their jobs.  Anyway, aren't specific breaks mandated in certain (mostly hourly) professions?  They used to call them coffee breaks and you had to have one every certain number of hours.  I guess we're going back to the days of slave wages and child labor, though.  😕

In salaried jobs, breaks are kind of whatever the boss will allow for whatever reason.  I mean people take breaks to pump breast milk, and many other reasons.  If reading the bible is your need, I suppose if your boss is ok with it, then OK. What the viewing public might say, well that's another matter... 🙂

• Love 7