Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E11: Madonna, Sir Ian McKellen, Danny Boyle, actors Lily James, Himesh Patel, and singer Sheryl Crow.

• Start Topic

Together on Graham’s sofa tonight: music icon Madonna, promoting her new album Madame X and upcoming shows at the London Palladium; acting legend Sir Ian McKellen, talking about touring and turning 80; director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionnaire) and actors Lily James and Himesh Patel, talking about their new comedy fantasy Yesterday; and singer Sheryl Crow, who performs her new single Still the Good Old Days.

• Love 1

Madonna's corset looked wildly uncomfortable, so I'm glad she acknowledged that.

It must be exhausting go have her as a mother, though. And as a person in your life.

Also, shut up, Madonna. You're not the only guest on the show.

LOL that Sir Ian McKellan got a bigger response than Madonna. As it should be.

No Big Red Chair, alas. Madonna hogged all the time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Madonna's corset looked wildly uncomfortable, so I'm glad she acknowledged that.

Well, I guess that's a tiny bit of polish on the turd that was her appearance, but she was still having trouble breathing in that thing, and it made me gasp for breath.  And when she first sat down, that one breast was almost the size of her head.  And located in almost the same place. 

I've bitched before about women wearing impractical outfits for sitting on a couch, but this one really takes the cake.  Not even an eye patch could distract from it.

God, I hate her.

Oh, and she singled out a man in the audience with glasses and a beard, but the guy they eventually showed didn't have glasses.  I'll blame that on her, too.

• Love 8

In addition to her ridiculous outfit and that gimmicky eye patch and her loosely-goosey fluid accent, what is up with Madonna’s teeth?  Does she have braces? Dentures? False teeth as part of this new album’s “persona”? And why does she behave like a complete asshole In every interview? The goal is to promote your latest opus to the unwashed masses, so maybe show a little gratitude for being given a platform to peddle it? If she feels she is so superior and above doing chat shows or press junkets, then stay the fuck home.

Aside from her presence, I liked the other guests. Ian McKellan is a joy.  I really want to see “Yesterday”, and Himesh Patel has a lovely voice.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

In addition to her ridiculous outfit and that gimmicky eye patch and her loosely-goosey fluid accent, what is up with Madonna’s teeth?  Does she have braces? Dentures? False teeth as part of this new album’s “persona”?

I thought she had some sort of grill (or partial grill) in. No earthly reason why that should be necessary, though. Or why she thinks it's attractive (if she does).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

....that one breast was almost the size of her head. 

I was waiting for it to pop out and knock her out. Which would have been a huge improvement. She really is obnoxious.

The rest of the couch was very enjoyable.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I didn't think she was that bad.  Aside from being uncomfortable due to the outfit, she seemed to have more natural conversations than I've seen in the past.  I've only seen her come off weirdly stilted and not really conversational in live interviews.  

Honestly? I thought Madonna seemed downright nervous,  ill at ease, overwhelmed by the experience. And a lot of her try-hard behavior struck me as compensating for that. 

It worries me a bit that I nursed a little bit of covetousness over Crow's fancy pants.

• Love 6

Sheryl Crow looked wonderful. Madonna looks like a whore. Sheryl has personality, Madonna seems like a total bitch. Too many people on the couch to get any good stories going. Why oh why is M so rich and famous. She sucks. 

• Love 2

Madonna looked like she was sitting oddly slouched for wearing such a tight corset.  Maybe that’s why she couldn’t breathe.

I couldn’t get over her stupid eye patch.  I agree with people above who said she seemed nervous.  I was initially turned off by her “I’m not used to sharing a couch” but later she did actually crack me up a few times, which doesn’t normally happen in her interviews.  I heard her on an NPR interview this week or last and she seemed downright rude.

What did Danny Boyle say was more expensive than the Beatles songs?  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:
21 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

What did Danny Boyle say was more expensive than the Beatles songs?  

Leonardo DiCaprio, referring to the movie The Beach presumably.

DiCaprio's fee (i.e., salary), to be precise.

16 hours ago, attica said:

Honestly? I thought Madonna seemed downright nervous,  ill at ease, overwhelmed by the experience. And a lot of her try-hard behavior struck me as compensating for that. 

I'd buy Madonna being nervous except a) she's been interviewed a billion times, b) she's been interviewed a billion times on TV before, and c) she's been on Graham's show before. He's such a fan he'd never say anything to embarrass her.

The saving grace was she wasn't on the entire show. Danny Boyle, Lily James, and Himesh Patel got to talk about their project without her interrupting them.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I didn't think she was that bad.  Aside from being uncomfortable due to the outfit, she seemed to have more natural conversations than I've seen in the past.  I've only seen her come off weirdly stilted and not really conversational in live interviews.  

I think Graham is a brilliant interviewer and is able to bring out the best of his guests.  In every other interview I have seen of Madonna she comes off as rude, obnoxious and insufferable.  She was still all of those things on Graham's show but to a lesser degree.   

• Love 4
On 6/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Sir Ian McKellan got a bigger response than Madonna. As it should be.

17 hours ago, attica said:

I couldn't believe she never sat in the outfit before wearing it on INTERNATIONAL TV.  Seriously.  I didn't think it looked that good standing u, but it was ridiculous sitting down.

I think she was intimidated a bit by Sir Ian, once she started to realize how awesome he is.  But she clearly had no idea who any of the other guests were and didn't care.  Her discussion about not having an OBE--she's not a British citizen!

On 6/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, BusyOctober said:

Ian McKellan is a joy.  I really want to see “Yesterday”, and Himesh Patel has a lovely voice.

Ian McKellan is always a joy.  I loved how he was celebrating being 80, especially in contrast to Madonna's desperation not to be "old".

I do think the movie sounds good, although I was disappointed to have the young Mr. Patel say he had to learn the songs--I'm not of the age to have listened to them "live" but my parents played them, and I know almost all their songs--I wish he could have said he learned none, since he already knew them.  Oh well.

• Love 3

It cracked me up that Sir Ian upstaged Madonna by coming on the show later and getting a bigger audience response. As is only right and proper. At first she was Not Having It, but did seem to be charmed and actually having some fun by the end.

I didn't think Madonna's outfit made her look like a whore (not that such would be a foreign experience), but more like the villain in an SNL skit about some Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style space opera.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I didn't think Madonna's outfit made her look like a whore (not that such would be a foreign experience), but more like the villain in an SNL skit about some Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style space opera.

Does she realize that wearing an eyepatch when she doesn't need to can cause damage to the eye not covered by the patch, if she does it too much?

19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'd buy Madonna being nervous except a) she's been interviewed a billion times, b) she's been interviewed a billion times on TV before, and c) she's been on Graham's show before. He's such a fan he'd never say anything to embarrass her.

Wouldn't it be nice if mental health actually worked like that? For some people, past experience does nothing to quell present terror. (See my sister, who has decades of flight experience, positively quake every single time she boards an aircraft.)

I don't mean to be argumentative. Her being nervous was just how I saw it. Obviously, I don't know her, so I can't say. My mileage varied, is all.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I do think the movie sounds good, although I was disappointed to have the young Mr. Patel say he had to learn the songs--I'm not of the age to have listened to them "live" but my parents played them, and I know almost all their songs--I wish he could have said he learned none, since he already knew them.  Oh well.

I assumed he meant he had to learn to play them, not necessarily that he wasn't familiar with the songs.  I'm just going to run with that assumption because I agree it would be irritating to think that anyone doesn't know their songs.  

• Love 1

Yes, I was sure he meant "learning" the songs as in "learning to play" them. It's one thing to be familiar with Beatles songs and to be able to sing most of the words correctly (vast swaths of us can claim that), but it's another thing entirely to learn how to play them on guitar and sing them as best you can with no missed lyrics, etc.

• Love 1

When Madonna was talking about focusing or having trouble focusing or whatever, I said, "You could focus if you took of that stupid eye patch." How ridiculous. I noticed she wore it in a few of those music video clips, so I guess that's a fashion thing like her lacy glove things were. But again, ridiculous. She looked awkward trying to look at the other people on the couch when she spoke to them.

I was really hoping she'd leave after her interview segment so she would sully Sir Ian's appearance. Alas.

But he was marvelous. Not enuf time with him. Never enuf time with him.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, peeayebee said:

I was really hoping she'd leave after her interview segment so she would sully Sir Ian's appearance. Alas.

But he was marvelous. Not enuf time with him. Never enuf time with him.

Imagine how great the show would have been without her at all?  We might actually have heard something from the first two guests (Lily James and Himesh Patel), and more from Danny Boyle and Ian McKellan.

And given Madonna's pointy bra and other provocative acts from her early days, at this stage she should know either how to flaunt it, or to dress more appropriately for the couch.

Best put down ever, when Madonna was trying to insult Graham Norton, "Do you want me to get an erection?"

Edited by Brookside
Because I'm apparently incapable of spelling McKellan correctly.