Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: AKA I Did Something Today

In having a lot of trouble with the full court press the police and Hogarth are putting on Trish. This is a city with vigilantes, they are not new. Daredevil had been operating for years now, and the police are not going after him with any gusto, and he's done 10x anything Trish has done. Luke Cage is out in the open and no ones going after him. That's not even factoring in the idea that this is still theoretically part of the MCU, Spider-Man is operating in New York, and powered people have saved the world multiple times.  The idea she would get sent to the Raft is just senseless.

• Love 15
18 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

The idea she would get sent to the Raft is just senseless.

Especially considering her state of mind leading up to the attack. Yes, they still don't have any proof that Salinger killed Dorothy, but Trish's belief that he did would be something for a defense attorney to argue on her behalf.*

I also found the idea of three stray hairs on the dead kid's body somehow being a smoking gun to pinning his death on Salinger. They were close friends when he was alive, I'm sure his defense attorney could argue away their presence.

I like the idea of making Jessica face a moral dilemma here, but it feels a little forced. I think they could have found a better way to reach this goal.

And I'm still having a hard time empathizing with the self-righteous, angry, character they've turned Trish into.

*I am not a lawyer, so maybe this doesn't really matter when it comes to her sentencing or jury's possible verdict.

• Love 3

I don't get all the heat on Trish either, she's basically a low level Daredevil. Jessica and Luke have far more dangerous powers. I get them being interested in her but not enough where they putting most of the force on her case. Jeri being interested made a little more sense when she found out she stole files from her. 

Yeah the hairs would easily be dismissed in court by a good defense attorney. That might be enough to get him arrested and tried. But not enough to convict. 

I really hope Jeri gets what's coming to her. She wants her legacy being she defended evil people. Jess should bring her evil detector to meet Jeri to see what kind of read he gets from her. He felt a 3 from Malcom for working for her. 

While Eric is selfish like Trish is since she was doing it for the glory not to help people. I get him not wanting to go to prison with his powers, that would probably kill him. 

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I really hope Jeri gets what's coming to her.

She has ALS.   It doesn't get much worse than that.   Especially near the end.  Everything goes but the mind.  You are imprisoned inside a body that no longer works.   You can't speak, can't gesture, can't control bodily functions.   I know of someone who died of it, saw her in the final months.   Terrifying.  

Edited by millennium
On 6/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, moonshine71 said:

In having a lot of trouble with the full court press the police and Hogarth are putting on Trish. 

For the life of me I couldn't understand this.  What did Trish-As-Vigilante do to Hogarth to make her act like this?  Simply break in?  Is that it?

• Love 1

The big takeaway I get from this episode is that Trish just needs to learn to keep her damn mask on.  Okay, I can give her a pass for the Malcolm bit since she was trying to ward him off at the time, but there was no need for her to have it off when she was beating the shit out of Sallinger, and he would have had nothing on her if she kept it on.  I guess they're going for a whole "her emotions got the better of her and she wanted to make it personal", but long term wise, that was dumb as hell.

Not surprised Jessica would end up doing Sallinger's bidding, because deserved or not, she would do anything for Trish.  Granted, I agree that evidence did seem flimsy.  Especially with Jeri as his lawyer.

Speaking of which, Jeri just going full tilt into bad guy territory.  Come season/series finale time, Erik's head will probably literally exploded if he gets near her.

• Love 3
(edited)

For the life of me I couldn't understand this.  What did Trish-As-Vigilante do to Hogarth to make her act like this?  Simply break in?  Is that it?

Three of the five people in jail due to Trish are Jeri's clients.  She feels like she has been targeted and that the vigilante is personally trying to destroy her practice.  She's wrong but I can sort of understand why she feels that way - if someone puts it together that a vigilante is targeting Jeri's clients, people might stop coming to her.  It also came on the heals of dead guy claiming Jeri protected powered people.  So you have a powered person putting Jeri's clients in jail and that news could impact her business. 

I think Jeri always feels people are out to get her unless she gets them first.  I don't think it's personal for Trish - I don't think she is out to get Jeri - she's just trying to punish some of the guilty people that Jeri successfully defended.  I think if she personally knew other lawyers she'd probably be going through their files too.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
clarity
  • Love 7
On 6/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I think Jeri always feels people are out to get her unless she gets them first.  I don't think it's personal for Trish - I don't think she is out to get Jeri - she's just trying to punish some of the guilty people that Jeri successfully defended.  I think if she personally knew other lawyers she'd probably be going through their files too.

This. Also, Malcolm works as Jeri's investigator so Trish knew he'd have info on Jeri's clients.  Jeri fits all three of the "means, motive, opportunity" trifecta for Trish. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked that Malcolm quit before Jeri fired him. I hope he doesn't have a tragic end. 

I feel bad for Costa. Agree you owe him Jessica. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 1:00 AM, millennium said:

She has ALS.   It doesn't get much worse than that.   Especially near the end.  Everything goes but the mind.  You are imprisoned inside a body that no longer works.   You can't speak, can't gesture, can't control bodily functions.   I know of someone who died of it, saw her in the final months.   Terrifying. 

Yes, it is one of the worst illnesses. My husband had two close relatives (a father and son) who died from ALS--one in his 50s and the other in his 30s--and it was very upsetting to see the decline. (It also makes the rest of the family very anxious about who might get it in the future, though thankfully no one else has been affected so far.) But the problem with ALS as a plot point in this show is that Jeri does not seem to be seriously affected by it, other than a couple of slips or near-falls and a consultant coming to tell her how to adapt the house. Part of me wants to see her decline more quickly, as karma, but another part of me doesn't want her to become a sympathetic character because of the ALS. 

38 minutes ago, Paloma said:

Yes, it is one of the worst illnesses. My husband had two close relatives (a father and son) who died from ALS--one in his 50s and the other in his 30s--and it was very upsetting to see the decline. (It also makes the rest of the family very anxious about who might get it in the future, though thankfully no one else has been affected so far.) But the problem with ALS as a plot point in this show is that Jeri does not seem to be seriously affected by it, other than a couple of slips or near-falls and a consultant coming to tell her how to adapt the house. Part of me wants to see her decline more quickly, as karma, but another part of me doesn't want her to become a sympathetic character because of the ALS. 

There is also thought to be a connection between ALS and Botox.  Perhaps not coincidentally the woman I knew had received Botox injections a few years before the onset of ALS.    Who can say if one caused the other, but I would never risk it now.

9 hours ago, millennium said:

There is also thought to be a connection between ALS and Botox.  Perhaps not coincidentally the woman I knew had received Botox injections a few years before the onset of ALS.    Who can say if one caused the other, but I would never risk it now.

Don't know if there is connection, but Botox has been proposed to treat drooling in ALS patients. However, there are also warning on Botox labels that it should not be used in patients with ALS. Probably best to avoid Botox anyway.

(edited)

So I am just going to assume that Trish probably beat that cop to death, because that seems like something she would do at this point. I feel awful about her mom, but I am really sick of her "me me me" attitude all season. While Jessica would do anything for Trish, I dont think she could say the same about Jessica anymore. Her doing this vigilante thing isnt really about helping people, its about getting attention and praise for being special, even if its causing endless trouble for everyone else around her. 

I am glad that Jeris ex girlfriend told her to shove it, she so clearly didnt do all of this for her ex (she seemed perfectly happy with her husband) to help her or something, she is just lonely and scared after her diagnosis and wanted someone to be there with her for the end. Its understandable, and no one deserves such an awful fate, but it wasnt based around love, she blew up her life because she was selfish. I find Jeri to be an interesting character, but she is becoming a worse person every day it seems like. 

Poor Costa.   

I cant really blame Eric for not wanting to use his powers after that, what an awful backstory. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, moonshine71 said:

In having a lot of trouble with the full court press the police and Hogarth are putting on Trish. This is a city with vigilantes, they are not new. Daredevil had been operating for years now, and the police are not going after him with any gusto, and he's done 10x anything Trish has done. Luke Cage is out in the open and no ones going after him. That's not even factoring in the idea that this is still theoretically part of the MCU, Spider-Man is operating in New York, and powered people have saved the world multiple times.  The idea she would get sent to the Raft is just senseless.

Not only that but would it really be that hard for Trish to disppear? I mean her mom was brutally murdered which is a great excuse to leave NY. Plus Bucky hid out in Europe for 2 years before anyone found him betweem Winter Soldier and Civil War.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I also found the idea of three stray hairs on the dead kid's body somehow being a smoking gun to pinning his death on Salinger. They were close friends when he was alive, I'm sure his defense attorney could argue away their presence.

Especially since they were on the same wrestling team. Lots of physical contact  so lots of chances to get those hairs on his body.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am glad that Jeris ex girlfriend told her to shove it, she so clearly didnt do all of this for her ex (she seemed perfectly happy with her husband) to help her or something, she is just lonely and scared after her diagnosis and wanted someone to be there with her for the end. Its understandable, and no one deserves such an awful fate, but it wasnt based around love, she blew up her life because she was selfish. I find Jeri to be an interesting character, but she is becoming a worse person every day it seems like. 

That scene was brutal and I am glad the ex saw through Geri's creepy, selfish bullshit.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Especially since they were on the same wrestling team. Lots of physical contact  so lots of chances to get those hairs on his body.

Wrestling season runs basically December to early March, I'm gonna guess they are building a gazebo over summer break, when time and weather are more permitting.

I think the kicker isn't just the hair, but the combination of the hair and that he was so heavily involved in building the gazebo, to the point of continuing to work on it by himself when everyone else had called it a day.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

I think the kicker isn't just the hair, but the combination of the hair and that he was so heavily involved in building the gazebo, to the point of continuing to work on it by himself when everyone else had called it a day.

Not to mention, didn't he take a picture for the parents of him standing on the gazebo or the spot where it was or something, with the caption "Nathan will always be with you"?  I mean, yeah, individually it's still all circumstantial and a I-never-lose lawyer such as Jeri would still be able to spin it as such, but there's definitely enough there to warrant a further investigation.

• Love 2

I know Trish is upset that Sallinger murdered her mother but good lord, the hypocrisy. She punched Erik in the face and blamed him for Dorothy's death, accusing him of being a coward (when in reality, he was practical enough to realize that if he went to jail for a year, the pain of being around all those murderers and evil people would kill him), yet she killed Jessica's mother and then expected Jessica to, in her own word "get over it." Okay then.

And after finding out that Jessica made a deal with Sallinger, instead of being upset that justice wasn't served (you know, because Trish has been claiming all season that the most important thing is doing what's right), she was mad that Jessica "obliterated my only win in a long, agonizing list of losses." As usual, it's all about Trish.

I looooooved when Kith called Jeri on her selfishness. For all her aggressive professions of love, Jeri didn't act out of love. She exposed Peter's embezzlement because she wanted Kith to hate him enough to leave him, even though she knew that would mean publicly humiliating the woman she claimed to love. You don't get to justify the shitty things you do by saying that you love someone.

Poor Costa.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I'm constantly waffling on which is the best of the Marvel series.  It's either Jessica Jones or Daredevil.

I hate to see what's happening with the Trish character since I've been interested in following her since the beginning of the series.  I had read about Hellcat in the Avengers back in the 70s, so I've been waiting for her to get super powers all along.  Amazingly enough, the Patsy Walker character dates back to the 1940s!

Obviously she's been naive, self centered, and attention seeking all season, it's just been a question of when she was going to learn her lesson and hopefully mature.  Unfortunately, it looks like Sallinger has probably gotten a win by pushing her over the edge.  Thus giving him some revenge on Jessica, maybe just not in the way he intended.  Creepy bastard.

The only complaint I have in this whole thing is I'm surprised Jessica hasn't shown more grief.  Dorothy was her step-mother after all.  But I know she isn't real expressive.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I'm constantly waffling on which is the best of the Marvel series.  It's either Jessica Jones or Daredevil.

For me it's definitely Daredevil. It just has the perfect mix of cast and story which makes it more rewatchable to me. But Jessica Jones is definitely second in line.

7 hours ago, rmontro said:

The only complaint I have in this whole thing is I'm surprised Jessica hasn't shown more grief.  Dorothy was her step-mother after all.  But I know she isn't real expressive.

Well after losing her family in an accident, being raped by Killgrave and being forced to kill. And  not being over her sister putting down her mother that she had just reunited with when this caper started  Jessica is an emotionally numb character who deals with it by the bottle and random hook ups.