Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: AKA Everything

I would agree that locking up Trish in the Raft would be over-the-top.  She broke bad but was not a supervillain.

But like I said, she'd definitely be a great choice for The Thunderbirds.

• Love 1

It just hurt to see two seasons of Trish constantly getting punished for the big crime of wanting to do something with her life what matters instead of conforming to what society expects her to be. The first season dealt with a lot of difficult issues, but it truly explored them and, in a way, was empowering. It was a depressing kind of empowering, but it felt great to see women survive what life was throwing at them, scarred, but never truly giving up. Seeing two seasons of the same women writing their own rules, with one of them being framed as "right" because she happens to be the main character of the show and the other basically being there for the purpose to make the lead look better...it was like the show reinforcing the idea that women are nasty backstabbers who can't have a true friendship with each other.

Maybe it's because I was never a huge Trish fan, but I never saw them as one looking better than the other. After watching this episode, it just underscored to me that everyone sees him/herself in a specific way - our own sense of self, but what others see can be an entirely different thing.

Watching this season, Trish came off as determined, yet mind-bogglingly clueless/stupid. I have no idea how many times I watched her in action and said out loud "how stupid is she???" But, when I stepped back and considered her transition, how she worked to get her powers, I can see where that informed her self-perception - she physically transformed and I'm sure there is an element of "I must be right/I must be on the side of good because look at what I can do now!" People delude themselves all the time and in Trish's case, it was as if saying "I'll be that hero," "I've got this," or "I'll do it so you don't have to" was another way of making it happen. She drank her own kool-aid. And whenever she came up against Jessica, someone with real powers, she couldn't keep up - Jessica tossed her around like a rag doll.

There are so many ways to look at Trish and wonder about her motives. Was she jealous of Jessica/Jessica's powers? How did she feel about her fame? How did she feel about Dorothy? Was she trying to re-write her own story? My own feeling is that there was a lot of resentment going on towards Dorothy and Jessica, mixed in with intense love. Trish had a decent career and really, she could have been a different kind of "hero" - people can use their fame in powerful ways, and in this age of social media, someone in her position would understand how to leverage fame for good. So, she made an active decision to play in Jessica's sandbox and in my mind, there had to be at least a bit of a competitive element to that.

Jeri was loathsome in this season, but I think her presence was relevant/necessary - she was the pipeline for Trish's bad guys. (Trish couldn't even find her own bad guys - she had to have a dealer, so to speak.)

Season 1 was the best, but I'm okay with the way this season played out and how it ended.

• Love 6
On 7/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Jacks-Son said:

You could always try, "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 ".  She's Jessica Jones w/o powers, but still acerbic. 

Anyway, now that its over, I can finally post this:

Don't Trust the Bitch is one of my absolute favourite shows!!!  It's the show that got me hooked on Krysten. 🙂  She and Dreama were the perfect combo.  Their timing was impeccable.  Had me laughing the whole time.

So, of COURSE they would cancel it!!! Grrrrr!

On 7/3/2019 at 2:14 AM, Catfi9ht said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched it and loved it. To this day, I still think DTB has one of the best pilots in tv history. It's the one example I can point where "opening scene in a wacky situation" is unpredictable and well written. The show also gave us this gem.

Screwing the fiancé on the birthday cake... and she's going to be late on her half of the rent!

• Love 2

The acting was very good, but this was a very mediocre season (similar to Season Two). I liked Eric. Jeri was as despicable as ever. I'm glad Kith decided not to continue her relationship with Jeri, although it seemed very about face.

• Love 2

I was glad to see Luke one last time in the final episode.  Why couldn't Netflix at least do a final Defenders season to close out their Marvel franchise?  But whatever, I liked the final season of J.J. better than season 2, though nothing can live up to the great season 1.  I always liked the style of this show the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, the boozy detective noir with the slow jazz music and Jessica taking a slug of bourbon before going out to fight crime.  I'll miss it.

• Love 7

A great finale to an okay season. Enjoyed it more than season 2.

Loved following these characters from season to season:

Jeri, the woman who had everything... she lost everything.

Trish slowly devolves and unravel.

Malcolm, he had some hurdles, he continued to grow each season.

And Jessica, she was just Jessica.

I loved the MCU/Netflix-verse. I remember when they were announced and the idea was a TV-scale version of the Avengers, individual series leading up to a crossover, the Defenders. I think in there also lay the problem. The lead up to the Defenders, that was planned and came out. And after, just felt like no real plan of what to do for each series.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, TheWereCow said:

For all that, the most underwhelming thing about S3 is that the Marvel TV universe went out with a whimper, not a bang.

I felt the same way. This was basically the finale of the whole franchise and was a pretty weak one. And I hated what they did to Trish. Then again Sallinger wasn't that great a villain either.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, bettername2come said:

The Marvel Universe really needs to establish like a midgrade prison for normal powered people. Like, sure you need The Raft if you want to hold Scarlet Witch, but Trish doesn't really warrant that kind of sentence. She doesn't even have superstrength. 

Yea. The fact that they sent Luke Cage's dumbass half brother with his crappy 3rd rate iron man suit to the raft makes no sense. Then again they also sent Hawkeye there.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 AM, Cranberry said:

That's some bleak shit.

As far as bleak shit goes, keep in mind that Jessica still has The Snap to look forward to.

I did find it almost funny that Jessica was taking the stance that she wouldn't kill people like Trish but was ok throwing a regular dude across a room and into a wooden crate.

Geri's ending worked especially since she was basically terrible since season 1. Although I do feel bad that in a world with flying cars, super soldiers and brains being downloaded into computers they can't even cure ALS.

Lastly, another season of a Marvel Netflix show is gone and still no fucking Avengers Tower anywher in sight.

• Love 2
On 8/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I felt the same way. This was basically the finale of the whole franchise and was a pretty weak one. And I hated what they did to Trish. Then again Sallinger wasn't that great a villain either.

Yea. The fact that they sent Luke Cage's dumbass half brother with his crappy 3rd rate iron man suit to the raft makes no sense. Then again they also sent Hawkeye there.

I guess if you look at them more as a series of very long movies with the deleted scenes added it works as the last movie scene. As a cap to New York MCU, well it is part of the MCU, even if a couple of strong people and a couple of martial artist rarely leave their neighborhoods. As a story of Jessica and her sister it was okay with the Falling Down recognition from Trish that she had become a mini Punisher. Contracts say it won't happen but we can fan fiction that the Dirty Dozen scenario with Hellcat becoming a Thunderbolt  possibility. Assuming Feige never gets around to rebooting any Netflix character.

Is the Raft where he ended up, why not the Vulture then? The Raft seems to be used narratively much like shows were using a threat of Gitmo in many cop shows about 10 years ago. That the "pilots" of techno suits end up there does seem to be a waste of resources. In Hellcat's case along with the other biologically enhanced super soldiers beyond self reporting how do we know what they are capable of? Sure Fisk or Castle also may have been able to take out large guard forces through bull headed determination and strength but Hellcat with evidence of her on camera surviving multi story drops is really an unknown powers wise, but known enough to be able to jump out of a multi story prison cell block.

• Love 2
On 6/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, swanpride said:

Well, I am pretty p... off. I was already pretty angry about what they did to Trish in the second season but I thought "okay, they might fix it in the third season". But nope, they doubled down. It feels like the show is constantly tearing down Trish to make Jessica look better. I know that Jessica Jones is supposed to be inspired by film noir and that this kind of prevents any kind of happy end, but it is possible to overdo it.

This x 1000.  I see other people have noted the similarity to Game of Thrones.  There was more time to develop this but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't like that they crapped all over the Patsy Walker character, which dates back to the '40s.  And everyone kept calling her Jessica's "friend", she was her sister (for all practical purposes).

Trish was just as much a part of this show as Jessica, from the beginning.  They could have made it seem at least a little more palatable if they would have just said "Don't worry, we'll be sure she'll get the help she needs".  Instead, she'll be rotting in the Raft for the rest of her life.  You can't say "Well, this is who she always was" because Erik didn't get a headache until she accidentally killed the arsonist (who, like Sallinger, deserved it). 

How is what she did any different from what the Punisher did?  How many people has Wolverine killed?  Yet they are regarded as heroes.  Heck, if assaulting a criminal makes you a bad guy, every superhero from Superman on down needs to be put in the Raft.  Jessica throws that guy back first into a wooden crate with enough force to smash it to splinters, the dude could have been paralyzed for life.  But that's okay because she's the lead?  And look at Erik, he used his powers to commit blackmail and extortion (on bad people, just like Trish), but he got off scot free.  There's a lot that doesn't add up here.

I was kind of sad that this was the last season, but now that it's ended this way, I'm glad I can just put it behind me and not think about it anymore.  Very bad taste.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Jacks-Son said:

You could always try, "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 ".  She's Jessica Jones w/o powers, but still acerbic. 

Anyway, now that its over, I can finally post this:

Patsy_Walker_(Hellcat).jpg

Hellcat.jpeg

Hell No.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:42 AM, Catfi9ht said:

Highlights this season for me were Erik and the single-scene chef who was supposed to be one of Sallinger's victims.

This is a weird thing to point out, but I thought that the actor who played the chef had a fantastic voice.  I would love to hear his voice in ads or as a radio host.  99% of the radio DJs have the most horrendous, nasally throaty voice that I can't stand.  He would make a great voice artist and for reading audiobooks.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:14 AM, Catfi9ht said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched it and loved it. To this day, I still think DTB has one of the best pilots in tv history. It's the one example I can point where "opening scene in a wacky situation" is unpredictable and well written. The show also gave us this gem.

I only started watching JJ because of Krysten Ritter.  Don't trust the Bitch is one of my absolute favourite shows.  Krysten and Dreama made the perfect pair of contrasts.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:52 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Krysten.  I've tried a few bad movies where she had thankless roles but nothing good to report back so far.

Like Vamps and Life As We Know It?  Confessions of a Shopaholic?  I guess Vamps wasn't so bad and she was one of the main characters.

• Love 3