Type keyword(s) to search

Jodie in the Media: Lawndale and Beyond

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

With the announcement of this spinoff, I wonder if this will have an opening theme? (Seems to have gone out of fashion!) And, if it does, will it be as cool as "You're Standing On My Neck"?

On 6/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, WendyCR72 said:

With the announcement of this spinoff, I wonder if this will have an opening theme? (Seems to have gone out of fashion!) And, if it does, will it be as cool as "You're Standing On My Neck"?

I would guess, though maybe not as long since long theme songs seem to be going out of fashion.  

I'm wondering if the animation style will be the same.  I'm hoping it's a little different, or it would be distracting.

• Love 1

Well, Comedy Central and MTV are owned by the same people, so I guess it makes sense. But...paired with South Park? Um...

Then again, Daria did spinoff from the equally stupid Beavis & Butthead. Still, if this is supposed to be as smart as Daria was, it's an odd fit.

I do hope the animation is not changed too drastically from Daria. But, again, Daria did change from her B&B roots, so I guess we'll see. If it is changed, maybe I'll get used to it.  🙂

• Love 2
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I do hope the animation is not changed too drastically from Daria. But, again, Daria did change from her B&B roots, so I guess we'll see. If it is changed, maybe I'll get used to it.  🙂

I assume they'll go for a similar design style as Daria, but other than that it's going to be different anyway; animation has changed a lot in 20 years.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, Comedy Central and MTV are owned by the same people, so I guess it makes sense. But...paired with South Park? Um...

Then again, Daria did spinoff from the equally stupid Beavis & Butthead. Still, if this is supposed to be as smart as Daria was, it's an odd fit.

What I like about the reference to Daria potentially having many spinoffs is that they're acknowledging Daria has a more lasting cultural impression than B&B.

11 hours ago, Trini said:

I assume they'll go for a similar design style as Daria, but other than that it's going to be different anyway; animation has changed a lot in 20 years.

While I like the general look of Daria, I felt like the animation overall was staid, so I hope they update it.

• Love 2

https://tvline.com/2022/01/07/chicago-fire-spoilers-winter-olympics-hiatus-scheduling/

I’m an avid French reader of your column and since Daria turns 25 this year, I’m wondering if you had any news concerning the Jodie spin-off that will apparently air on Comedy Central. Tracee Ellis Ross was cast as Jodie but there hasn’t been any news for a long time. –Geoffrey

I asked around, Geoffrey, and there are no updates to share.

• Useful 1
On 1/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Beginning to wonder if this was shelved...

On the other hand, animated projects do take longer, and they usually don't get released until the all the episodes are done. So I wouldn't give up hope yet -- but no updates at all is concerning.

• Useful 1

Per the Wikipedia page (I know), apparently, job positions for this series were posted as of November 2021, so - if the page is to be believed - it sounds like this series is still a go. Says it is supposed to debut sometime this year. I guess we'll see...

• Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Seems like sort of a downgrade, from series to single film. But I'll still watch.

Yeah; but I'm still interested. Although, I'm probably not going to have whichever streaming service they put this on, so not sure when I'll actually watch it....

More info at the original Variety article:

... The film sees [Jodie] graduating from college and going to work as an intern for the prestigious tech firm, Firstfinity. The project hails from MTV Entertainment Studios. It is still being determined which platform/network within the Paramount ecosystem on which the film will launch.

The cast now includes: Pamela Adlon (“Better Things,” “King of the Hill”), Cole Escola (“Ziwe,” “Tuca & Bertie”), Jojo T. Gibbs (“Twenties,” “Good Trouble”), William Jackson Harper (“The Good Place,” “Love Life”), Zosia Mamet (“The Flight Attendant,” “Girls”), Alex Moffat (“SNL,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet”), Dermot Mulroney (“Hanna,” “Shameless”), Arden Myrin (“Insatiable,” “Shameless”), Kal Penn (“House,” “Designated Survivor”), Kofi Siriboe (“Queen Sugar, “Awkward”), Dulcé Sloan (“The Great North,” “The Daily Show”), and Heléne Yorke (“The Other Two,” “Masters of Sex”).

<...>

“Jodie” is written by Grace Edwards, who also serves as an executive producer alongside Ellis Ross and Ashley Kohler of Awesome Inc. MTV Entertainment Studios produces.

Edited by Trini

*SIGH*

'MTVE Studios Not Moving Ahead With ‘Jodie’ Animated Movie'

Jodie will not be moving forward at MTVE Studios,” said an MTVE Studios spokesperson. “We have loved working with Tracee, Grace and the whole team on creating a film that is full of joy and genre-bending fun with an inclusive, diverse, and incredible cast.  We are fully supportive of them finding a home elsewhere and look forward to partnering with them in the future.”

• Useful 1