Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

The Sopranos

23 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

It makes sense, though. They voluntarily entered a dangerous life that had the side benefit of meaning they didn't have to follow the normal rules of society

It makes total sense and it makes the show really good. It's more that I was thinking how a lot of other shows would have probably given Tony a bunch of redeeming qualities to balance out his evilness. Like he would be really good to his wife and kids, or he would have a dog that he really cares for, or he would spend his time questioning if he really wants to be in the Mafia or not. But Tony does none of that which is why his character works so well.

• Like 2

I have been watching season 2 and last time I watched it I don't think I appreciated how good Aida Turturro is as Janice. I mean Janice is also a terrible person, and super annoying but Turturro totally plays it so well. So even though she is totally different from Tony her type of crazy makes sense too. Plus in the episode where Meadow had the party in Livia's house it was hilarious that Janice thought her parents were being too hard on her, until she found out that the mess from the party would affect her.

• Like 2

I wonder if the new film will bring back more interest to the show.

I have been following the “Talking Sopranos” podcast with  Christopher and Bobby Bacala and it is very enjoyable. Especially the guests who are people who worked on the show including cast and crew. Very informative and interesting.

• Like 1

Who was your favorite character on the show?

I know mine was obviously Feech LaMana who based on an old time mobster from my neighborhood in Brooklyn. 

Feech was just the old type psychopath that filled the Mafia to this very day.

On season 3 and my favourite so far this time around is maybe Silvio. It is hard though since they are all terrible people, but interesting as hell to watch. My least favourite is probably Carmela, although Edie Falco totally crushed that role.

The funny thing about Feech LaManna is that there used to be an online Sopranos card game you could play at HBOs website. Feech was a character there long before he showed up on the show.

I think one of my favourite things in this rewatch is all the dated cultural stuff. AJ was watching the X-games on tonight's episode when Livia died. The biggest one has to be in season 2 where Jon Favreau is just a small time indie director not an A-List guy who could probably get any movie or show made with a phone call. Although my favourite is probably all the Absolut vodka ads on Meadow's roommate's wall.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

The flip phones are hilarious.

Steve Van Zandt was on Talking Sopranos recently and said the character of Silvio came from a script treatment he had about an old time retired hit man who opened a night club. David Chase loved it but changed the venue to a strip club because a night club with entertainment would cost too much.

I think he reused the idea when he made “Lilyhammer.”

Edited by Feech
  • Like 1