Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Nice To Marry You

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I wonder if anybody is really ready for marriage.  It seems that every season, we all see the red flags.  

This one has a "creepy" relationship with her dad/This one has no relationship with his parents/This one's a virgin/This one hasn't been in a relationship in 10 years/This one just got out of a relationship/This one is too religious/This one looks like a player.

People aren't perfect; everybody has flaws; everybody has "red flags" depending on who's looking.

No. I have never met anyone who is; just like having children. One can be more or less healthy than another but, I agree, no one is perfect.

In my view, marriage is partially about matching issues in a way that both people can be complimented by the couplehood on the road to becoming who they want to be. So, putting  a clearly sexually active, nonreligious man with a 27 year old virgin who has a very slim chance of being able to be a match for him in the arena of intimacy within 6 weeks is worthy of comment and observation.

Again, I agree no one is perfect but, if observing "red flags" was outlawed, what the hell would we be discussing about the show on this forum? 

• Love 9
(edited)

About Elizabeth, I just turned 31 and I'm a youngest child, a late-in-life child 15 years younger than my older brothers at that. My parents supported me through college, but my dad hasn't given me his credit card since. And he sure as hell wouldn't do it to pay for my 30th birthday party. If he had mentioned my husband's penis on my wedding day, I would've died. 

Iris seems sweet but it seems like every time a virgin appears on any reality show, that's all we hear about every episode. And it seems like either reality tv is going out of its way to find virgins or there are more virgins in the world than people think. Either way, I hope this goes well for Iris or that they don't have sex if it doesn't. 

Amber and Matt I want to like and I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm assuming we'll get more backstory about his family situation in later episodes because they definitely seemed to  bring it up to build suspense. 

Deonna and what's-his-name, I don't know. They're kind of bland. It does seem like Deonna is just checking marriage off her list, like she thinks that's just what you're supposed to do after you establish a career and buy a house.

Edited by sucker4reality
  • Love 7
On 6/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, aphroditewitch said:

I would guess the show uses stock music so they don't have to pay a bunch of money to the artists.

Now that you mention it, it is very annoying.

geeze the girl dealing the cards.  Boobs much?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sucker4reality said:

Iris seems sweet but it seems like every time a virgin appears on any reality show, that's all we hear about every episode. And it seems like either reality tv is going out of its way to find virgins or there are more virgins in the world than people think. Either way, I hope this goes well for Iris or that they don't have sex if it doesn't. 

I have a feeling it is a combination of both. Reality tv is absolutely looking for virgins but I think there might be more virgins who are in their twenties than people think, most probably keep that info to themselves though.. But I think it is unfair to Keith along with anyone else they do this to on other shows because it is such an obstacle. It puts Keith in a crappy position because if they do have sex during the 8 weeks, then that is something that gets thrown in his face during arguments. It might be different if Iris didn't place such a high value on virginity but she clearly does. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, red12 said:

Again, I agree no one is perfect but, if observing "red flags" was outlawed, what the hell would we be discussing about the show on this forum? 

Exactly!

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

So, if a couple doesn't want to say vows (make promises) to their partner as part of their wedding ceremony, that's fine. If that's the case, and the bride and groom do include speaking to each other in their ceremony, don't call it "vows".

Instead, the officiant should say "The bride and groom would now like to say a few words to each other".

I think what happens in these ceremonies is that the word "vows" is often said whether actual vows are being said or not.  "Vows" seem to have become a catch all word.  When a couple say a few words to each other, people automatically assume they are actual "vows."

But I don't know, I'm just watching the show.  I don't even think most of these couples will last more than a year.  

But something has been bothering me about this season.  Would the show have paired a male virgin with a woman who wasn't a virgin?  Would the show have paired two virgins with each other?  

I wonder.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

I found Iris to be very irritating. I got a bit of a high strung vibe and I don’t deal well with that. I LOVE her mom though. I though they were going to pair Iris with Greg which I thought would be a better pairing. I don't have all the names down yet but I'm not feeling this pairing at all.

Elizabeth is going to drive me insane this season. I can’t stand her already and her proclamations that she’s hilarious and wonderful and blah blah. Her father is weird, she works for him so there’s no breakaway from the family. There doesn’t seem to be any boundaries there which means that she will share all of her business with the family. If she was not on the show though, there would be no crazy and it would be boring.

I am not a fan of Jamie at all. He comes across as a total stick in the mud, stuffed shirt, boring guy with no sense of humor and his list of expectations made me laugh and ask, “And just what do you bring to the table here?” He seems to be very well off so at least he’ll be able to keep Elizabeth in the lifestyle to which she has become accustomed but I think her personality will drive him crazy. Since I can’t stand his type, I look forward to seeing that. I don’t think his parents will be overly thrilled with her either.

I think Greg is unattractive and get a kind of demanding vibe from the gal that has not dated in 10 years. Her lack of dating experience coupled with her still holding tight to a grudge on a high school boyfriend who probably cheated on her does not paint her as a very mature person. It’s like her emotional growth got stunted 10 years ago. 

I was so happy that they chose Matt and Amber over Raven and Matlin. Raven’s voice was so grating. It certainly looks like these two have the chemistry going on but part of me thinks that both of them are so incredibly desperate for a spouse that they would have been all over anyone put in front of them. Matt’s broken relationship with his parents over their divorce is a bit odd. I wonder how much info about that we’ll get. 

They need to stop with all the long drawn out conversations and preparations in the first episode and just get the damn weddings done. Next week we have to sit through more waste filler prep and two more weddings when we could be moving along if all the marriages were done.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

But something has been bothering me about this season.  Would the show have paired a male virgin with a woman who wasn't a virgin?  Would the show have paired two virgins with each other?  

If they could find a male virgin, lol.

Last season of The Bachelor, Colton was famously a virgin, and none of the girls seemed to mind.

There's something "magical" to a lot of men about a female virgin, while I don't believe the same perceptions exist about male virgins.  Just thinking about how many societies pay loads of money to marry female virgins, or to be a girl's first.

But I agree, it would be interesting to see.  

I do hope that the guy they paired Iris up with is patient enough, and holds this as a trait that he respects in her, rather than rushing her.  I do like Iris.  I think she's adorable and she seems like she really has her life together, and I do not mind her whole "super white wedding dress" thing.  I get it, for her, and I respect her for that.

• Love 2

In some of these cities it doesn't surprise me that people have either run into each other or know some of the same people. Especially since the show recruits some people off of dating sites and apps. Some cities are not that big and their singles scene is rather small. In both the Dallas and Philadelphia it was an issue. Now a potential issue in Charlotte. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Methinks the same...the cess pool of singletons in a place like Charlotte is small.

However, MAFS may have reached out to the greater Charlotte area to find suitable victims participants....even crossing state lines as an option...or those just out of prison...I kid, of course..Hiya Mia!

Brides/grooms can be in between jobs and homeless like Jon, have jobs that they can work remotely who are willing to relocate for 8 weeks...or willing to commute and drive long hours like Danielle.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
On 6/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

So, if a couple doesn't want to say vows (make promises) to their partner as part of their wedding ceremony, that's fine. If that's the case, and the bride and groom do include speaking to each other in their ceremony, don't call it "vows".

Instead, the officiant should say "The bride and groom would now like to say a few words to each other".

We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't see an issue -- they are words spoken to each other during a marriage ceremony, which is a 'vow' in and of itself. Not going to get overly hung up on semantics.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, aphroditewitch said:

I wonder if Dr. Pepper is going to sit Iris and Charlotte Keith down for a safe sex talk the way she felt the need to do with Kristine and Philly Keith. 

No!! Dr. Pepper is no longer their "sexologist"!! 

I don't know why, but they apparently decided that the newer, younger "expert" they brought in is better qualified for that role...

• LOL 3

Just adding that I really like it when the brides spend time together. And the grooms. It’s great to have someone to talk to about this weird situation they’ve placed themselves in. And I love it when one of the guys is being a total asshole, and the other guys call him out on it. The women tend to be more diplomatic—at least on camera. 

• Love 8
On 6/13/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ilovepie said:

If Sam Role and AJ had a baby it would be Elizabeth.

This is hilarious 😂😂😂

On 6/13/2019 at 4:28 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I have no problem if she wants to remain a virgin, but I do have a problem with making it the defining facet of herself such that it needs to be advertised so prominently to her future husband.

I think it's just a golden ticket to getting on a reality show, and editors think we all want to hear about it every ten minutes.  At least it makes sense on shows like this and the Bachelor - why I had to know a Survivor contestant was a virgin is still a mystery to me after all these years.  The editors at this show are bad and super repetitive.  The whole bit about Deonna "dating herself" was bad enough, but they showed shots of her staring soulfully at the wall over a glass of wine about 30 times.  I was feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed and I was watching by myself 😄 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Do you think couples do this because they truly don't know what the word "vow" means? Or something else?

Whether they know what the word means or not - "writing their own vows" seems to have become just stating whatever's on their minds.  If you watch Four Weddings - they sing, they rap, they love and adore, they feel so lucky to be marrying their best friend, they join their hearts, they blend sand and food coloring and wine and chocolate . . . but they make very few promises.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:26 PM, Nowhere said:

I would like just one virgin on these shows who does not brag about it and only tells those who need to know. Like her husband. In private. 

Haha that's hilarious too 😂

On 6/15/2019 at 12:08 PM, Gem 10 said:

Wow .. didn’t even know this show was on again until my friend told me.  Happy Blondie is not back.  Maybe she married Jon?

They're engaged 😉

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, princelina said:

This is hilarious 😂😂😂

I think it's just a golden ticket to getting on a reality show, and editors think we all want to hear about it every ten minutes.  At least it makes sense on shows like this and the Bachelor - why I had to know a Survivor contestant was a virgin is still a mystery to me after all these years.  The editors at this show are bad and super repetitive.  The whole bit about Deonna "dating herself" was bad enough, but they showed shots of her staring soulfully at the wall over a glass of wine about 30 times.  I was feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed and I was watching by myself 😄 

Whether they know what the word means or not - "writing their own vows" seems to have become just stating whatever's on their minds.  If you watch Four Weddings - they sing, they rap, they love and adore, they feel so lucky to be marrying their best friend, they join their hearts, they blend sand and food coloring and wine and chocolate . . . but they make very few promises.

Haha that's hilarious too 😂

They're engaged 😉

What a surprise, lol.  Wonder how tight ass Molly is doin?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Whatt??

A Reverse Puke situation????

Interesting.....tell me more.....

Just re-watched the previews and the bride cackles loudly  laughs and says " Oh my G---!" a few times. And her father asks "Do you know that guy?"

... And the groom doesn't indicate he knows her but doesn't look too excited. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

No!! Dr. Pepper is no longer their "sexologist"!! 

I don't know why, but they apparently decided that the newer, younger "expert" they brought in is better qualified for that role...

In the earlier seasons Dr. Logan was the sexologist. Then it fell on Dr. Pepper because it really didn't fit either Pastor Cal, Rachel, or  Dr. Jessica. So it might be interesting to see how Dr. Viviana does in this role. At least she doesn't seem to have poked around the Charlotte cast's underwear drawers. 

Edited by aphroditewitch
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, aphroditewitch said:

In the earlier seasons Dr. Logan was the sexologist. Then it fell on Dr. Pepper because it really didn't fit either Pastor Cal, Rachel, or  Dr. Jessica. So it might be interesting to see how Dr. Viviana does in this role. At least she doesn't seem to have poked around the Charlotte cast's underwear drawers. 

I guess Pepper didn’t want to give that up!  She was still doing it last week 🤨

• LOL 2
(edited)

So funny that all you ladies in here were talking/gushing about the dermot mulroney lookalike lol

Ok well now its the guys turn to drool hahaha 

I was totally smitten with amanda, who was one of ambers bridemaids. shes the one that runs up to matt to shake his hand when the bridesmaids all walked out. later on, she was also the one that asked/wondered where matts parents were in the crowd.

I think that she is totally smoking hot !!! lol 😍❤️❤️❤️

Screenshot from 2019-06-16 21-55-32.png

Edited by STRIDER1
typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Oh yeah theres supposedly some sort of heavily edited reality show on right now that I was gonna make some comments on but somehow I got distracted and forgot what I was going to say lol

Look up 1 post for the reason why hahahahahahaha 😂😂😂

• Love 1
(edited)

I can feel your love for the future Mrs. Amanda Strider....

By the power invested in me by Previously TV and now Primertimer,

I pronounce you TeeVee husband and TeeVee Wife....mazel tov!

Amanda is prettier, younger version of Stephanie (SexyAF)

You have excellent taste in your  choice of TeeVee spouse....

Wanna make a bet that Amanda, Amber and Megan all applied to MAFS and Amanda and Megan didn't make the cut?

Curious why did Amber choose Mrs. Amanda Strider to be Maid of Honor and not her twin, Megan?

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/12/2019 at 10:24 PM, 2727 said:

Or nobody.

Am curious to find out what's up with Matt being estranged from his parents because of their divorce. Is he six and having a tantrum?

Greg was not happy to hear that Deonna hadn't dated in 10 years! Yes, it is a big red flag, experts.

Not dating for many years is not necessarily a red flag.  I took a 10 year hiatus myself...finished up my bachelor's degree, obtained a master's, worked full time....dating just wasn't a priority.  Completing my education and working on ME was.  

• Love 1
On 6/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, Ohwell said:

There was a guy in Matt's group of friends that was kinda hot.  The only way I can describe him is that he had some grey in his hair.  

Yes, yes he was!  I noticed him right off the bat.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, STRIDER1 said:

So funny that all you ladies in here were talking/gushing about the dermot mulroney lookalike lol

Ok well now its the guys turn to drool hahaha 

I was totally smitten with amanda, who was one of ambers bridemaids. shes the one that runs up to matt to shake his hand when the bridesmaids all walked out. later on, she was also the one that asked/wondered where matts parents were in the crowd.

I think that she is totally smoking hot !!! lol 😍❤️❤️❤️

Screenshot from 2019-06-16 21-55-32.png

Heh, I was actually wondering if Matt looked over and saw Amanda and wished she was matched with him instead of Amber.  Amanda sure looked like she was into him.

• Love 4
On 6/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I can already tell that the red-haired chick (Elizabeth?) will annoy the crap out of me.  I can feel my teeth clenching automatically anytime someone tells me how funny, charismatic, and witty they are.  From what I’m seeing so far . . . no.  I see abrasive, loud, and grating.  If you were that great, you wouldn’t have to tell me.

Oughta be a fun season, folks!  (Ugh.)

*** I had to add, Iris’ mother is lovely!  Her reaction to the news was so sweet.  

Is she the one whose Father said “I hope he has a big penis”?  The redhead I mean.  If so, what Father talks like that?

• Love 3
On 6/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, aphroditewitch said:

Except for Iris, the women were really into the strippers this season. 

Did the Virgin partake with the strippers?  I’ll have to watch again.  Virgin, schmirgin, who gives a shit.

21 hours ago, princelina said:

"Four Weddings" was the program I was thinking of (in addition to MAFS) when I made my comment!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

Is she the one whose Father said “I hope he has a big penis”?  The redhead I mean.  If so, what Father talks like that?

It sure was.  He said, "I hope he doesn't have a small penis."  Just unreal.  That woman has major daddy issues and it's becoming easier to see why.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

It sure was.  He said, "I hope he doesn't have a small penis."  Just unreal.  That woman has major daddy issues and it's becoming easier to see why.

The husband is going to have his hands full.  I feel sorry for him already.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2019 at 6:01 AM, humbleopinion said:

Get the hose with the spray nozzle on those two....or let them leave early for the honeymoon...or to a car in the parking lot....

Hahaha.  That girl is on fire.  No sleep for Matt after the reception, lol.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, Sterling said:

There's something "magical" to a lot of men about a female virgin, while I don't believe the same perceptions exist about male virgins.  Just thinking about how many societies pay loads of money to marry female virgins, or to be a girl's first.

A big part of it is sexism - it's not "manly" to be a male virgin, which is why you still get horror stories of men forcing their sometimes barely pubescent sons into sexual scenarios. Women who are virgins are seen as chaste, disciplined, and outright morally superior, which obnoxious Iris has eagerly latched onto to make herself seem better than other women. In contrast, male virgins are mocked as socially awkward shut-ins who are bound to be shitty in the sack.

Off topic, but I'm assuming the (second) blonde sexologist got booted for boning Jon?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Gem 10 said:

The husband is going to have his hands full.  I feel sorry for him already.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He is super picky and after his comment about being in his mid-thirties, marriage just seems to be something he feels he is expected to do versus something he wants to do. Any woman they matched him with would have been set up for failure. We have seen in previous seasons that this process doesn't work if you are picky and only focus on who your spouse should do for you instead of what you can do for your spouse. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, aphroditewitch said:

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He is super picky and after his comment about being in his mid-thirties, marriage just seems to be something he feels he is expected to do versus something he wants to do. Any woman they matched him with would have been set up for failure. We have seen in previous seasons that this process doesn't work if you are picky and only focus on who your spouse should do for you instead of what you can do for your spouse. 

You are probably right.  I missed some parts and didn’t even hear him say that.  I have to watch the whole show again.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, LakeGal said:

Elizabeth and Mr Picky seem like they will be our troublesome couple this season.  I really can't see them being a match with anyone.  Hopefully they will be fun fireworks for us rather than just annoying.

I believe the other 3 couples all have a chance.  They will find each other attractive and that is the first hurdle.  

In a wedding picture shown of the four couples, Elizabeth didn’t look too happy and was sort of pulling away in the opisite direction of Mr. Picky.  The other couples looked more interested in each other.  Body language.

• Love 1

I just wish they had done all the weddings last week. I would rather have more episodes with the honeymoon than the weddings. The honeymoons are where we start to see which couples have a real shot. The weddings and receptions have been misleading in the past.

• Love 6

I can't really judge by body language in the wedding photos since they are so posed.

I think if Deonna had a rough relationship she was wise to take time off, work on herself, & achieve what she wanted with her education, instead of jumping into another, then another, then another... just because someone has had multiple (even long term) relationships, doesn't mean they're good at it.

I don't feel it's wise for anyone to do this show to get a spouse, though.  I started to write "find" then realized these folks aren't finding anyone; they are being given someone to marry. So they don't go on this show to "find" a husband/wife; they go on the show to *get* a husband/wife (& often get many other troubles as well).

Of course the show will make an issue out of Deonna's dating hiatus, as there will be continual virgin talk from/about Iris. It's a show so of course they have to grab onto something to create interest & make story lines. There's already lots of talking & they've certainly got my interest, so dammit, it works...😬

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I’m having trouble with my DVR and while watching interference, Jamie popped up somehow, and had long blonde hair and gigantic boobs. Lol.  Guess her gig is profitable.  Back to Optimum and my problem.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't know about this.  There are no perfect people.  Everybody has baggage.  IMO it's all a crapshoot anyway.  Will these marriages succeed or fail?  Who knows?  Like I said humans aren't computers.  What does it mean when Deonna said she hasn't been in a relationship in 10 years?  It depends on what someone means when they say "relationship."  

I don't get this.  I watch this show for the relationships and to see who does or doesn't make it.    I don't really listen to the vows, terrible, I know.

Per Deonna, it sounds like she dated herself and devoted the time to travelling, her education, and her career. She didn’t mention casually dating. It came off like she closed herself off to dating period. I missed the matchmaking special, but that’s what I’m gathering from the comments by people who watched it. That would be a concern because marriage is definitely more challenging than a dating or even serious relationship. It’s not easy to go from a decade of “me” to “we” in 90 days.

Judging by the record number of divorces, these experts haven’t gotten it right or missed the mark completely. As always I’ll give it a chance but some of the red flags are like mmm.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Curious why did Amber choose Mrs. Amanda Strider to be Maid of Honor and not her twin, Megan?

Good question!  My younger sister did not choose me to be her maid of honor at her wedding  and it’s always stung—especially since she rarely talks to her maid of honor anymore.  Every time she asks me to do a favor for her, I remember it. (I know! It’s petty of me.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

Good question!  My younger sister did not choose me to be her maid of honor at her wedding  and it’s always stung—especially since she rarely talks to her maid of honor anymore.  Every time she asks me to do a favor for her, I remember it. (I know! It’s petty of me.)

It’s not petty.  I chose my sister even tho we didn’t get along that well because she’s my sister.  I glad I did, as now we have a great relationship.  Down the road she might feel bad about it and tell you she made a mistake.

• Love 5