Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Nice To Marry You

• Start Topic

Four couples have the requisite 2 weeks to finish being single, tell their fam and friends that they are getting hitched to a stranger.

Will each meet their forever person or can't wait to divorce you and forget this marriage ever happened to me....

17 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

"The Free Spirit" (redhead) + "Mister Picky" = Disaster. 

What were they thinking?!  ☹️

Yup.

*** I had to add, Iris’ mother is lovely!  Her reaction to the news was so sweet.  

Iris is already annoying me with her insistence that the dress be as white as possible. 

I don't love the insistence on a white dress but overall I love Iris and her mother. I think Iris and Keith are my favorites and my early pick to go the distance. I think she is gorgeous and she and he is a cutie. They seem to have similar values and compatible personalities too. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Who scores these episodes?!  Some of the worst, most derivative songs!  Maybe I’m just getting old (that’s fair), but I have never heard any of these songs.  

I would guess the show uses stock music so they don't have to pay a bunch of money to the artists.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I like Deanna and Greg; they make a nice couple. She appears sweet and bubbly and he seems nice and kind. I hope they make it.  I think Elizabeth should have been matched with Matt. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

"The Free Spirit" (redhead) + "Mister Picky" = Disaster. 

Why do they need to give "titles"?  Sounds like something from The Bachelor....

That is going to get as annoying as the rating "numbers".

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Ms. Free Spirit looks 40.

I can think of a dozen women I know personally who are between the ages of 35 and 45 who look younger than she does. I think she has a lot of gray (there was a scene where she hadn't had her roots touched up) and the red-red hair makes her look older, but she also just ... looks older, to me, especially around the mouth. She's not aging gracefully.

Also the relationship she has with her dad would give me tremendous pause - if he's comfortable enough with her to say "let's hope he doesn't have a small penis," (!!!) that means they don't have boundaries. AND she works for him so she sees him every day, so I'd wonder if she'd run and tell her daddy every time we disagreed. 

Deonna could have put some more effort into her hair for her wedding day. A low puff is fine, but she was wearing one the entire show - that's clearly her everyday look. Why not do something more formal for the wedding? Her makeup wasn't good either - the gold eyeshadow didn't flatter her skin.

I think Deonna is going to be more of an issue than Iris. Deonna has basically no relationship experience, and we don't know that about Iris - we just know she's a virgin. And I don't get the sense that Deonna DID do much work on herself because she talks about that failed HIGH SCHOOL relationship like it just ended, when it's been ten years.

Amber was a little hyper but so far she and Matt seem like they like each other. She's clearly very attracted to him. They'll have sex first, I'm sure.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 23

Clearly Amber eyes and former basketball player have some hot chemistry going on.  I was expecting her to be taken back by his height but she was clearly into him even during the ceremony.

• Love 9

Haven't finished watching yet and up to the 1st wedding but so far I like all the couples except Elizabeth. Not sure about her match yet but she seriously bugs. And she definitely needed better support for her strapless gown! Yikes!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

Elizabeth and Jamie(does the show have room for another Jamie?) give me Dave and Amber vibes....but without large amounts of wine to take the edge off the tension.

As the baby of the family, Elizabeth has had to demand attention by being loud, being “daddy’s favorite” and dramatic in every way possible...exhausting....

The boobylicious dealer at the bachelor party...hey Mr. Picky keep your eyeballs in your head.

Amber was getting the full Humpty Dumpty by the stripper...ewwww

Keith has the best parents and grandparents...hoping he and Iris click.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

and

53 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

My recording ended after Amber and Matt. Was there a second episode of marriages tonight?

No, the other two couple are next week. 

Iris and Keith would make really beautiful babies. 

• Love 8
(edited)

(Hey folks! I cannot believe it, but I'm back for this season. I'm in! Sleep deprived at the moment. Haven't read the previous comments yet, but I will!)

First impressions:

The Red Head likes a lot of attention, but she seems nice. Her dad was oddly supportive... I wonder if they're seeking fame (ha!) through this silly show. Who is she marrying again?

The Church Girl was surprisingly tatted up. She's a cutie, but her wedding dress, hair, makeup & jewellery was kind of blah. I appreciated that she had a modest wedding dress though. Ten years since her last relationship? What happened to shut her down like that & why is she so full steam ahead now? The Church Guy seemed very sweet & sincere & his friends were super loving & supportive! Their first talk was awkward & defensive.

Ok, so the Athletic Girl says 'family is super important to me' & the Athletic Guy is estranged from his family!? Good match, Show. I'm not mad at Athletic Guy though, you can't pick your family & sometimes shit happens. (I don't know enough to judge him & I know from personal experience, sometimes it's not your fault, but people will judge you anyway.) Her dress, hair & makeup was lovely! She's a natural beauty, but I wonder if it will be a problem that she's not that typical Baller's Wives look. She seems earthy & passionate--- I'm not mad--- but maybe she was a little 'drunk girl at the club/frat party' for wedding?

The Virgin Bride is so pretty & has her mom's bubbly personality. She also seems bright & intelligent & has a good understanding of people. I think it's cool that she's maintained her principles about her virginity until the age of 27, but why throw all that away on this stupid show? I don't get it. Not a fan of her dress. Perhaps if it was fitted better? Love the idea of crisp white for her dress because I think it looks lovely against her skin. Don't remember much about her groom, but his parents were a beautiful couple.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 12
(edited)

I kind of wish DeAnna did not lead with I have not dated in 10 years. Greg seemed pretty open and it looked like the wall went up. I wondered if he was worried about her age. His mama was worried he would be matched with someone older and they could not have babies, after hearing no date in 10 years I wonder if he thought she might be 5-10 years older?

Did she really not date anyone at all in 10 years, or just not be in a relationship? If she really only had a high school boyfriend that broke her heart and then did not ever date again and it has been 10 years, the experts should not have matched her. If this is the case I would guess she turned 30 and panicked and wanted the fast track to marriage and babies and thought the show was the answer? 

Amber seems really into Matt ( she asked to kiss him how many times, I was so glad we did not get another Luke response, though it did take her asking like 3-4 times to get a kiss). I have to say she has guts as a 8th grade teacher to make her life so public, I hope the show edits the honeymoon a little or she might have many interesting school years ahead of kids talking about her. I am worried about him, it is not just not having a family, he does not seemed settled in the area. is he originally from the area or after playing basketball did he just land in NC? He also was so happy he had a wife to talk basketball with, I hope he takes an interest in what she likes too. 

I really hope Iris is not labelled a 27 year old virgin the whole season. I hope there is some other story then her virginity.  I loved how excited her mom was and I hope the whole sex issue is dealt with mostly privately and we can see Iris and Keith bond over their love of kids, Jesus and mentoring.  I also hope her first words are not I am a virgin, like Deanna's were I have not dated in 10 years. 

Elizabeth is annoying (and I liked AJ last season).  I loved my dad, was an only child and I had him wrapped around my finger but I sure never talked to my dad about sex! Good luck Jamie! I hope it goes better then I predict, I have little hope for them and I also did not like her with the other ladies, she was so loud and in charge, I hope she doe snot ruin this season. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 15
(edited)

Glad Matt and Amber burn white hot for each other from the jump (bball reference intended) with Amber as the aggressor in the PDA department, the stripper got her motor revving the night before....

In the tease, Amber is going for a full make out session at the reception.

She is really turned on with having a husband who was until recently a pro athlete...no Potato Couch Keith this season...

Get the hose with the spray nozzle on those two....or let them leave early for the honeymoon...or to a car in the parking lot....

Matt needs Amber's family to tuck him into those lasagna Sunday family dinners with the assorted chairs all squished around her auntie's kitchen table....hopefully he will find comfort and support in Amber's clan as he transitions to his new career and setting down roots in Charlotte.

Amber instinctively is saying the things Matt wants to hear to get him to fall for her personality...talking knowingly about basketball, knowing the players on the Hornets roster (shout out to TP retiring and hiya Kemba), expressing her attraction to him, leaning in to him.

Hope MAFS production takes us/them to a Hornet game....

They have eyes for each other with no mention of their difference in  height....which is Captain Obvious...duh...

Get early Bobby(Amber) and Danielle(Matt) vibes from them...mazel tov!

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I kind of wish DeAnna did not lead with I have not dated in 10 years

We really don't know if that was the first thing she said. Remember how they edit everything on this show!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So I have a question. Where do they find all these parents who are happy and accepting?  My mother would have been SO not ok with this....same with my in-laws (we talked about this with them the other day). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The scene with Deonna and Greg was so heavily edited that it was really obvious. There was a moment where she is heard saying something like "I judged" or "I feel the judgement" but only the back of her head is showing while talking to Greg, so whether she even said that to him is unclear, she easily could have said it during a solo interview with a producer. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

So I have a question. Where do they find all these parents who are happy and accepting?  My mother would have been SO not ok with this....same with my in-laws (we talked about this with them the other day). 

A lot of the parents don't accept it and either express their disapproval and other parents don't appear at the wedding or on the show at all. I think Davina in season 2 said her family didn't approve and IIRC none of her family was there. Last season Luke's mom kept saying that it was a mockery of marriage but I think she was also talking about her son and his attitude as well.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, valdawn said:

8 hours ago, valdawn said:

Thank you.

I agree about beautiful babies. Iris is stunning and Keith is fine. Matt and Amber make a very cute couple too. I wonder how tall he is. Greg ? ( religious math tutor center owner) was very happy with Deonna's appearance as was Deonna with Greg's. I can see why they were matched but I hope her lack of dating  experience isn't their undoing.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Thank you.

I agree about beautiful babies. Iris is stunning and Keith is fine. Matt and Amber make a very cute couple too. I wonder how tall he is. Greg ? ( religious math tutor center owner) was very happy with Deonna's appearance as was Deonna with Greg's. I can see why they were matched but I hope her lack of dating  experience isn't their undoing.

They said he was 6'9".  Yum!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

They said he was 6'9".  Yum!

Holy Moly! Amber looks to be on the short side. Slow dancing is going to be difficult. I did not see the 1st epi so why is Amber's mom estranged from the family? And were those all her siblings around the dinner table?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Holy Moly! Amber looks to be on the short side. Slow dancing is going to be difficult. I did not see the 1st epi so why is Amber's mom estranged from the family? And were those all her siblings around the dinner table?

I think they said she's 5'2".  That's an insane height difference.

Amber's mom abandoned their family for another woman when she was little and actually moved away.  It sounds like there were some major tensions over the years and her mom missed much of her childhood because of it.  Her dad really stepped up to the plate to raise her and her siblings.  I have to give Amber a high-five for "allowing" her mom to take part in these adult milestones after all of that. 

• Love 24
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Glad Matt and Amber burn white hot for each other from the jump (bball reference intended) with Amber as the aggressor in the PDA department, the stripper got her motor revving the night before....

In the tease, Amber is going for a full make out session at the reception.

She is really turned on with having a husband who was until recently a pro athlete...no Potato Couch Keith this season...

Get the hose with the spray nozzle on those two....or let them leave early for the honeymoon...or to a car in the parking lot....

Matt needs Amber's family to tuck him into those lasagna Sunday family dinners with the assorted chairs all squished around her auntie's kitchen table....hopefully he will find comfort and support in Amber's clan as he transitions to his new career and setting down roots in Charlotte.

Amber instinctively is saying the things Matt wants to hear to get him to fall for her personality...talking knowingly about basketball, knowing the players on the Hornets roster (shout out to TP retiring and hiya Kemba), expressing her attraction to him, leaning in to him.

Hope MAFS production takes us/them to a Hornet game....

They have eyes for each other with no mention of their difference in  height....which is Captain Obvious...duh...

Get early Bobby(Amber) and Danielle(Matt) vibes from them...mazel tov!

From what I know, basketball players tend to be the serious, stoic, strong silent type. I once dated a basketball player who also played overseas and he was a nice guy, just put his entire energy into his diet and workout (he was 6'6", lean and muscular). He was also shy with women. His basketball buddies were all similar - get togethers with his friends was kind of quiet because they were all quiet types. I get those vibes from Matt as well. I think he will be easy to win over as Amber appears to really be into him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Think it was cousins and other fam at Amber's auntie's kitchen table.

Amber and her twin Megan were raised by her Dad when Mom left when the girls were 7 years old.

Matt's parents recently went through a divorce after 30 years of marriage and am guessing his sisters and Matt aren't getting along because of the family upheaval...that is why he chose not to tell any of them or invite them.

Amber's little trouble maker friend pointed out the lack of Matt's parents out to Megan while they were waiting for Amber.

Matt may be my new Ricky Bobby, gonna root for him.

Deonna, yes that is her name, must have been absolutely and totally shattered with the break up of her ONE relationship a decade ago.

Greg has good reason to raise his eyebrows, Deonna, to be single from 20-30 years old is not usual.

Greg crying when his groomsmen were praying for him was very touching...both he and Matt have good friends....

I had to put the captions on because Deonna and Amber speak really fast and Greg grumbles his words...

Matt's words roll out...velvet smooth.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 11

The thing with Matt's parents is concerning. Was it the divorce or was it more than the divorce that caused estrangement? I wonder if he has said and the show just decided not to air it or is waiting until he and Amber have more time to talk. Too often key details are left out that would help give a more accurate picture of what is going on with the person.  Last season it was made to seem that it was just the divorce that caused issues between Kate and her dad. But after the show was over, she revealed on her Instagram that she had never been close with her dad since he was always  emotionally distant and her late uncle had actually been the true father figure in her life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

There was a guy in Matt's group of friends that was kinda hot.  The only way I can describe him is that he had some grey in his hair.  

Yes! I was glad they kept showing him because I liked looking at him too. 

• Love 5

Elizabeth and Mr Picky seem like they will be our troublesome couple this season.  I really can't see them being a match with anyone.  Hopefully they will be fun fireworks for us rather than just annoying.

I believe the other 3 couples all have a chance.  They will find each other attractive and that is the first hurdle.  

• Love 10

I am glad that the two couples they showed were very into each other and seem to have some chemistry.  I hope they keep this up because I could not take another Luke and Kate.

Does red head and Mr. Picky look like brother and sister to anyone else? Okay, just me...I’ll move on, but it struck me since they both kind of had a unique look.

Both Iris and Keith seem nice and are good looking people...rooting for them.

• Love 10
(edited)

I kinda got Puke vibes from Mr. Greybeard...hope to be very wrong...

Had Matt's best man picked out for Megan, Amber's twin...

Hunch that neither Red from a bottle nor Mr. Nit Picky will find each other attractive....

She will never find a man who finds her as wonderfully fantastic and a-mazing as Daddy and Jamie is another Dave......

Mr. Nit Pick enjoyed the dealer's boobs on display at the bachelor party...his bride will also be flashing her gals...the strapless dress she chose needs a pulley system to contain hers....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3