Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E29: Mathan & Leah

GaT

(edited)

Original Airdate 06/12/19

Nev and co-host Kamie Crawford help Mathan find Leah, a girl he's been talking to for a decade.

Edited by GaT

Well, this is a new low for the show. Such a tragic story, and they exploited it. I think it was a bit much that they criticized the girl for not being truthful and saying she "owed him an apology." I'm impressed that she was able to keep in contact with him and cheer him up whenever HE was down when her life was such an utter mess during that whole time.

I think it's terrible they took Mathan up there and filmed it all. Once they saw the news stories, they should have shut down production and told Mathan to talk to a therapist for closure instead trying to talk to Leah. I hope Leah has a therapist, too, since the airing of this show will no doubt stir up a lot of stuff for her as well.

• Love 2

Amen! I was shocked they took it as far as they did also. I read several articles about her, and so far there’s no mention I could find about the whereabouts of the baby. If found dead, she’s in for a whole new world of hurt.

• Love 1

Her name is Leah Lund, & I can't find anything saying that the baby (her name is Hazel) was found. I'm assuming that she must have been because wouldn't Leah be in jail if she wasn't? But it happened in 2015, is it possible she's already been in jail & served time? This whole thing was just weird, they definitely shouldn't have just showed up like that.

I was telling a friend about this episode, and I said there's something to be said for doing online background checks.  He said, Amen, best $30 or $50 ever spent.

What they show the hosts researching online, anyone with a brain could do.  Now, not ruling out that they're paying for some more expensive databases/research tools, but I bet Mathan could have found this girl on his own.  My opinion, he was scared to find out the truth re: Leah.

I like Kamie as a co-host.  I don't see her being full time, as she makes Nev look stupid (more stupid).

(edited)
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

No, the baby has not been found. Leah’s been in jail again and again after filming in December. Give it time, she’ll eventually be charged with murder. This was a story for Dateline, not Catfish.

http://jailregister.snopac911.us/SCSO/Inmate/Detail/-20800777?fbclid=IwAR18s--e0B07_XQi_BhwLjejQjHngnlc_WtaRrW6EUTDZXkL4KckFv61k1I

Holy shit. I can't believe the baby is still missing. I wonder what Leah says happened to it? If it's not dead somewhere, she probably sold it.

If they had been able to connect with Leah, I wonder how Nev would have handled his "closure"crap that he always pulls. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Holy shit. I can't believe the baby is still missing. I wonder what Leah says happened to it? If it's not dead somewhere, she probably sold it.

That's what I thought, too, but then like you said, how could she be free on the streets in that case? I'm wondering if the baby was born dead or died, so she wasn't charged with anything. Since she was a minor, that stuff theoretically would never have been reported in the papers.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I'm wondering if the baby was born dead or died, so she wasn't charged with anything. Since she was a minor, that stuff theoretically would never have been reported in the papers.

But they would still need to find the body, they wouldn't just take her word for it. The whole thing is very strange.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, GaT said:

But they would still need to find the body, they wouldn't just take her word for it. The whole thing is very strange.

No, you're right, but I'm thinking maybe they did find the body, but because she's a minor there was just no reporting on it. And you are even more right, the whole thing is very strange. And tragic -- that she's been in and out of jail three times since filming shows that being part of Catfish hasn't been good for her...

Okay I officially hate myself for giving so much thought to this show, but I looked on Facebook and someone posted a picture of them together that Mathan posted and then deleted, so they did meet after filming -- guess she didn't want to appear on TV. Also read that he is an aspiring actor; his moving to L.A. should have tipped me off to that. Still no word about the baby, but a lot of speculation that the sister was the catfish. Maybe she has the baby?

Edited by ForReal
Updated post
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ForReal said:

Okay I officially hate myself for giving so much thought to this show, but I looked on Facebook and someone posted a picture of them together that Mathan posted and then deleted, so they did meet after filming -- guess she didn't want to appear on TV. 

First, Mathan is an idiot, I guess all that "don't contact me again" crap was just him practicing his art. Second, if she didn't want to appear on TV, why did the show pick them to do an episode on? They have to get waivers from everyone, so at some point it should have become clear she didn't want to do it.

• Love 1

Based on articles about Leah’s situation from back when the missing baby thing was initially going on, apparently her father was horribly abusive to her growing up, to the point where she had a protective order against him. He kept coming back to the house where she was living despite the protective order, and that’s actually why she ran away the final time when she supposedly gave birth. There’s speculation that she wasn’t actually pregnant, so there was no actual missing baby. The whole thing is sad.

• Love 1

Hhhmm....not sure what to make of this whole thing. Mathan's a very good looking young man, moves to LA at 22, and applies to Catfish for help....maybe it's step 1 in getting his face out there for acting or modeling? I know we've all seen sweet, naive people being catfished before, and I thought this might be another, but the Leah story has more than the usual (cat)fishy ring to it. 

How is it possible that if she gave birth and the baby is missing,  she isn't in jail, as others here have mentioned? How could she have mandated daily probation, but apparently never came to court during the stakeout? I know it was on the news in Washington, but maybe there really was no baby? I know it's outlandish but the authorities wouldn't just shrug their shoulders and say, "whoops, baby's missing, let's forget about it." If she gave birth alone and without medical assistance, how do they know she actually gave birth, unless she was hospitalized after?

I'm not sure the sister is the catfish, because she would have been more interested in Mathan. 

• Love 1

Mathan seemed flaming to me, so I’m not buying he was into her.  They probably chatted when they were bored and then he thought the salacious details would help his aspirations to act.  The fact that they met after the show and deleted the pic is suspicious.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spike said:

The fact that they met after the show and deleted the pic is suspicious.

It may be part of the non-disclosure agreement they all sign. Not to publicize any photos or videos unless the show gives them permission.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, Spike said:

Mathan seemed flaming to me, so I’m not buying he was into her.  They probably chatted when they were bored and then he thought the salacious details would help his aspirations to act.  The fact that they met after the show and deleted the pic is suspicious.

If that is even remotely true (I fully realize you're stating a theory, not a suggestion nor implying) that is THE LOWEST thing anyone could do to another person. I would NEVER watch anything he was ever in. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, Beantown Gal said:

If that is even remotely true...I would NEVER watch anything he was ever in. 

In all honestly, you would probably never get the chance. I think the idea that appearing on Catfish is a boost to one's acting career is absolutely misguided, but then again it's the nature of a catfishee to be clueless. 😎

• Love 4
On 7/16/2019 at 2:33 PM, Beantown Gal said:

If that is even remotely true (I fully realize you're stating a theory, not a suggestion nor implying) that is THE LOWEST thing anyone could do to another person. I would NEVER watch anything he was ever in. 

I believe her child was found. This was posted on her face book. 

Time to Boss up, get your life together, get your priorities in order like restoring your visitation rights with your Daughter...

• Love 1

The baby Hazel is in foster care and she also has another baby that she doesn’t have custody of. Both Leah and the guy she chose have been in and out of jail. I don’t get why she’s locked up Constantly...even incarcerated now and not in a sobriety house or institution since she’s obviously in need of help for her drug addiction.