Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I grew up in a 50s-built home that had a shower/toilet/sink/window ensuite and a main bathroom three kids shared with double sinks! Plus another half-bath in the basement. I guess we had it good! The eat-in kitchen was really large, but nobody had islands then, so my mother didn't know to insist on one. LOL!

No joke: How much has HH influenced actual house hunters, I wonder? I mean, my white and grey kitchen's been that way since the mid-90s--because that's what I liked and thought correctly that I wouldn't get sick of it (should upgrade countertops, but still like the colors). 

• Love 6

It's not that hard to become a Realtor (TM). When I retired, I took the training to become a real estate agent in my state. I passed, and on a lark, decided to take the test to get a license. I passed, so for 4 years I was a licensed real estate agent. In MD, you can't work as a licensed agent unless you work for a brokerage firm. Once that's done, you can apply for membership in the state and NAR. It costs money, but as long as you have your license you can stay a member. While each state has a code of ethics for licensed real estate agents, the associations also have ethic codes members must abide by. To keep your license, you must complete continuing education training.

The NAR coined the term Realtor. From Dictionary.com:

Realtor

[ ree-uhl-ter, -tawr, reel- ]

Trademark.

a person who works in the real-estate business and is a member of the National Association of Real Estate Boards, or one of its constituent boards, and abides by its Code of Ethics.

The term Realtor only exists for NAR members. If a National Association that created the word chooses, it makes sense to capitalize it.

That's why the real estate agents on HH usually make sure they are referred to as Realtors on their chyrons during the show (if they indeed are).

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 1:11 PM, chessiegal said:

We bought a house built in 1949 and it had a teeny tiny en suite - shower stall, toilet, and sink. Unless someone was in the shower, it was a one person room.

The house I grew up in was built in 1955 and it had a teeny tiny en suite, with a bathtub/shower, toilet, and sink.  The tub was along the left wall, and the toilet and sink along the wall in front of you, left to right.  If the door was open, it blocked the bathtub, and to close it, you had to move over to in front of the sink. 

And now that I think about it, the houses on both sides (built at the same time) also had en suite bathrooms, both of them bigger than ours.  Actually, on ours, it was part of a wall that had, in a row, a master bedroom closet, a closet for the room on the other side of the wall, and then the en suite bathroom (which had a window).  So it was pretty much the size of a closet.

Maybe that's where I got the idea that bathrooms don't need to have big open square footage.  This thing was an admirably efficient use of space and 100% functional.

This was in a small city in west Texas that's never been known for being cutting edge, so I'm assuming there were houses being built all over the country that had at least these miniature en suite bathrooms.  And speaking of words, I never heard it called an "en suite" until just a few years ago.  It was always an "attached bath."

• Love 4
On 11/2/2021 at 2:34 PM, Cetacean said:

All this Man Cave and She Shed stuff is just ridiculous.  If you need that much solitary time then don't have kids.  They are a 24/7/365 committment so suck it up, buttercup, and be a parent.

A) People who work from home DO need space away from children, especially if they spend time on conference calls/zoom meetings.

B) Even parents are allowed to have time without their kids.  In fact, sometimes it's better to not be with them 24/7/365.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, Cetacean said:

I don't have one so I don't know.  Neither did my parents.  I don't even have an ensuite bathroom.  Horrors.

Apparently it's significant enough for there to be a widespread change.  Multiple realtor sites reference the reason for the change.

No site that I've been to in the last couple of months has stopped using master bedroom/bathroom.  Admittedly I'm not seriously looking, just browsing, but master is still the word being used.  Maybe it's a regional thing?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

A friendly reminder: This forum is dedicated to discussing House Hunters.  It is not about personal pet peeves.  It is not about discussions regarding changing language.  I have removed those posts that violate Primetimer policies.  Please stay on topic.   

If you have questions about anything, please contact @txhorns79 or @WendyCR72.

• Love 2

Dover, Delaware. What a horrible situation. The parents can't just gift the money, they need to have input in a house they aren't living in? They clearly are doing this to turn a profit instead of helping their daughter. Did the boyfriend say what he did for work? I thought #3 had the best yard but the living space seemed small. Basement was a bonus. I thought maybe they'd pick #1. Wish we could see this massive truck that won't fit in the driveway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I don’t live far from Delaware but I wasn’t thrilled with any of the houses. I didn’t like the house they picked because the garage was huge and you could barely see the house. I guess it was nice of the parents to pay the down payment (or the whole thing….I wasn’t clear on that part) but they had too much to say which house was picked. Which leaves me to think it really was more an investment property rather a home for their daughter. The boyfriend and his stupid couch issue was enough for me to say to the daughter….Run Away!….As fast as you can. LOL!!!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Did the boyfriend say what he did for work?

Wish we could see this massive truck that won't fit in the driveway.

He named two things he does, one was “startup investor” and , sorry, but I cannot remember the other one.   I thought it was odd that he said he just finished paying off the gigantic sofa, yet he’s an investor. 

I also would like to have seen the huge truck.  Maybe it’s big enough to haul the sofa? Lol

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

they had too much to say which house was picked. Which leaves me to think it really was more an investment property rather a home for their daughter.

I think it was mainly an investment, not a gift.  Since the “kids” chose to be so picky they just couldn’t find a rental, I guess they are grateful for this arrangement.  

I agree the couch was stupid.   even more ridiculous to me was the need to have a whole room for the dogs!  She’s going to be there for three years, this doesn’t have to be her ideal home.  

• Love 8

I went back and rewatched the beginning of the episode.  The boyfriend , Thomas, said he’s a “business owner and startup investor”.   No wonder we couldn’t remember, that is really vague.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I don’t live far from Delaware but I wasn’t thrilled with any of the houses. I didn’t like the house they picked because the garage was huge and you could barely see the house. I guess it was nice of the parents to pay the down payment (or the whole thing….I wasn’t clear on that part) but they had too much to say which house was picked. Which leaves me to think it really was more an investment property rather a home for their daughter. The boyfriend and his stupid couch issue was enough for me to say to the daughter….Run Away!….As fast as you can. LOL!!!!!

It was mentioned right at the beginning by both the commentator and parents that it was being bought as a short term investment property.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, CattyK said:

He named two things he does, one was “startup investor” and , sorry, but I cannot remember the other one.   I thought it was odd that he said he just finished paying off the gigantic sofa, yet he’s an investor. 

I also would like to have seen the huge truck.  Maybe it’s big enough to haul the sofa? Lol

Can I interpret this relationship? She's a doctor...she will be the main breadwinner. "Start up investor" could be another way of saying he collects baseball cards and sells them or some other collectibles. If it was a legit thing he would have talked about needing an office space instead she was the one needing an office space...all he needed was room for the gigantic ugly sofa and a separate area for his gigantic truck.

I know a woman who is doctor who went on an online dating site and met a guy who claimed he was a freelance computer software guy. Turned out he just had off and on jobs doing low paying computer stuff. They got married and he couldn't spend her money fast enough...expensive car for himself, all kinds of man cave toys for himself and other stuff. He saw a big pay day with her and for awhile it was until she divorced him several years later and got custody of the child they had...he later sought alimony from her and then eventually gave up all parental rights to their child. Total loser and bum. Not saying this is what is going on with this Delaware couple but sure seems familiar!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Can I interpret this relationship? She's a doctor...she will be the main breadwinner. "Start up investor" could be another way of saying he collects baseball cards and sells them or some other collectibles. If it was a legit thing he would have talked about needing an office space instead she was the one needing an office space...all he needed was room for the gigantic ugly sofa and a separate area for his gigantic truck.

I know a woman who is doctor who went on an online dating site and met a guy who claimed he was a freelance computer software guy. Turned out he just had off and on jobs doing low paying computer stuff. They got married and he couldn't spend her money fast enough...expensive car for himself, all kinds of man cave toys for himself and other stuff. He saw a big pay day with her and for awhile it was until she divorced him several years later and got custody of the child they had...he later sought alimony from her and then eventually gave up all parental rights to their child. Total loser and bum. Not saying this is what is going on with this Delaware couple but sure seems familiar!

😂 My shriveled dark heart was just coming her to post that I thought this was a complete sugar mama relationship.

I would also surmise that an investor and an anonymous business owner is code for someone who has no gainful means of support. Hopefully he isn't a day trader with access to her credit line.

ETA Not only was there not a whisper of a need for a home office for the entrepreneur but also not even a throwaway line about how he works remotely so relocation isn't an issue.

Nothing spells classy like someone who used a credit card to buy a grotesquely ugly "lounge" sofa with multiple cup holders and who needs some kind of giant truck - I ask for what purpose?

Although we didn't see much of the parents' home, I think the parents are reasonably well off judging from the kitchen as it appeared they had a Subzero integrated refrigerator. Hopefully they are smart enough to have an iron clad agreement in place so that the loser boyfriend doesn't attempt to claim ownership of the house.

I was also surprised that there was no mention of proximity to the hospital where she is doing her residency. All of the shows dealing with doctors who have to be on call at hospitals have had a requirement that they be within a certain number of miles or certain amount of time to get there.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, amarante said:

I was also surprised that there was no mention of proximity to the hospital where she is doing her residency. All of the shows dealing with doctors who have to be on call at hospitals have had a requirement that they be within a certain number of miles or certain amount of time to get there.

I know for the first house either she or the voiceover said how far it was. And the last house, it said on the screen either 2 minutes or 2 miles.

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, amarante said:

Hopefully they are smart enough to have an iron clad agreement in place so that the loser boyfriend doesn't attempt to claim ownership of the house.

The parents seemed very savvy and "detail oriented" so I believe they will choose legal representation accordingly because your point is VERY WELL TAKEN. 

The couch/big truck BF might see a big "payday" arising if she decides to move on to a more "productive" man whom she might even consider marrying.  This boob mentioned marriage in a few years and I didn't see any look of excitement on her face.  HMMMM.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I know for the first house either she or the voiceover said how far it was. And the last house, it said on the screen either 2 minutes or 2 miles.

Okay. I fast forward through alot of the narrative so I probably missed that. 

I suspect that it is more of a narrative in the ones that I remember it being a factor so I couldn't have missed it

4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Personally, I though the guy should have had Huge Loser written on his forehead.

While he might not be a prize ; she wasn't exactly super either.  Expecting her parents to buy another investment house for her that she can rent monthly.   Might want to take on some responsibility for herself.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 5

I think the medical resident's boyfriend was marking his territory, with the truck, and the couch.    The woman's father was right, the places that would accommodate the giant truck didn't have an HOA, and were not great resale candidates.   

The second house neighbors' yards with a boat sitting on the front lawn wouldn't make a prospective buyer want that house.   I think the one the parents, and daughter chose was the right one. 

However, I was really hoping daughter would go for the third house, which I bet didn't allow big trucks (many HOAs say no work trucks, or trucks have to be garaged, and his truck wouldn't fit.   I wonder how much the big couch/big truck guy was contributing?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, cameron said:

While he might not be a prize ; she wasn't exactly super either.  Expecting her parents to buy another investment house for her that she can rent monthly.   Might want to take on some responsibility for herself.

I don't see a problem with parents helping children financially if they can afford it.

In this instance, the parents made money when they sold the house they bought while she was in medical school. 

She is paying rent and the purchase price needed to be a specific amount so that the mortgage payments were feasible. It is not as if they were purchasing something lavish as the homes were relatively modest.

It is not an uncommon practice. There was an episode where a woman's parents also provided a downpayment for a place while she was either in med school or doing a residence. As I recall she was becoming some kind of eye doctor. Again, the woman wasn't getting a free ride as they looked at places that were affordable with a roommate.

The parents I know help their kids out to the extent they are able to financially especially when the kid is still on school. Why not as the kids are going to be getting the money eventually as an inheritance. Lots of kids are helped with down payments and the parents aren’t expecting a return on their investment financially  

And especially in this instance when the parents are really not giving her anything. They are essentially purchasing a house as an investment where there will be a tenant who happens to be their child. 

I don’t understand why it is okay for very wealthy people to subsidize their kids by supporting them completely and setting up trust funds but middle class people who help much less are viewed negatively as spoiling their kids.

The woman is obviously very responsible as she got into medical school and graduated from medical school and was accepted in a resident program. She is investing in her future as are her parents. Why should she live in a hovel if her parents can afford to buy a house and rent it to her when her income is low because she is essentially still a student.   

Edited by amarante
  • Love 8

Chicago:  That woman and her real estate agent sister had vocal fry so awful that I couldn't watch until the end.   

Also, Chicago is known for deep dish pizza and that was an awful looking limp pizza the agent's husband was serving at the beginning of the episode.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Chicago:  That woman and her real estate agent sister had vocal fry so awful that I couldn't watch until the end.   

Also, Chicago is known for deep dish pizza and that was an awful looking limp pizza the agent's husband was serving at the beginning of the episode.   

And truffle and pepperoni no less. 🤢

I am assuming it is fake truffle flavored oil instead of olive oil but the combination still sounds pretentiously disgusting.

On the other hand I could imagine shaved truffle over some artisan Parmesan cheese could be divine.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Crashcourse said:

That massive, ugly fart trapper couch looked like something that belonged in the basement where he and his bros are watching football.  I wouldn't have that thing in my living room.  

Yes, the daughter was there to do a Family Practice residency, which will last 3 years.  Then, they will move; they have no plans to remain in Delaware.  Medical students get into the residency of their choice by entering a national matching program which gives them minimal control over where they land and most apply to 10 or more residency programs.  So, she matched at a program that she liked that wasn't in a part of the country where she was going to stay long term.  Therefore, I don't blame her parents for looking out for resale value.  It was obvious that she and her partner are not looking to do a lot of renovations and the real estate market has been pretty strong in much of the country, including Delaware, too.  Her parents apparently cannot afford to take a huge loss if the housing market drops drastically in the next few years.  It made sense to me that they were looking out for resale value on the purchase.  And, her father was absolutely correct, choosing a home because your 14 foot long ugly sofa fits in the living room is pretty short sighted.

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

They had typical flat Chicago accents, not pleasing to the ear.  Even though I do not live in Chicago, I screamed at the TV in outrage at that sorry excuse for a pizza.  Sacrilege!

• LOL 2
On 11/10/2021 at 3:12 PM, amarante said:

As a resident, she probably has to sleep in the hospital sleeping quarters when on call.  I did.  It is only fellows or attendings who get to stay home on call, in most cases.  So, she wasn't going to be home for 24-36 hours at a time a couple times a week.  More time for the boyfriend, who I also thought was suspiciously gold diggerish, to play video games and drink beer on her dime.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, cameron said:

Her parents are, in three years, EARNING money off this. In the end they'll come out on top, as if they spent nothing. 

Chicago husband sooooo reminded me of an actor, especially his profile. Any ideas?

Edited by Grrarrggh

(I love River North.)  

Pocket listing, in the middle of a flip?  Reading this forum has taught me to be dubious about this type of scenario.

Is it safe to assume that those were her renovations we walked into the middle of? Why else would all those boxes be sitting there - were they full of her new cabinets?  And did she smirked and say she liked and would keep the countertop (when she lifted the cardboard off the corner) because it is the countertop she had already had installed?

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, kirklandia said:

(I love River North.)  

Pocket listing, in the middle of a flip?  Reading this forum has taught me to be dubious about this type of scenario.

Is it safe to assume that those were her renovations we walked into the middle of? Why else would all those boxes be sitting there - were they full of her new cabinets?  And did she smirked and say she liked and would keep the countertop (when she lifted the cardboard off the corner) because it is the countertop she had already had installed?

Think she just had the dark cabinets painted.  I went back and rewatched and noticed that the hardware and style/size were exactly the same.  Ditto with the countertops along with various pieces of furniture that was shown in both the before and after.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Yes, the daughter was there to do a Family Practice residency, which will last 3 years.  Then, they will move; they have no plans to remain in Delaware.  Medical students get into the residency of their choice by entering a national matching program which gives them minimal control over where they land and most apply to 10 or more residency programs.  So, she matched at a program that she liked that wasn't in a part of the country where she was going to stay long term.  Therefore, I don't blame her parents for looking out for resale value.  It was obvious that she and her partner are not looking to do a lot of renovations and the real estate market has been pretty strong in much of the country, including Delaware, too.  Her parents apparently cannot afford to take a huge loss if the housing market drops drastically in the next few years.  It made sense to me that they were looking out for resale value on the purchase.  And, her father was absolutely correct, choosing a home because your 14 foot long ugly sofa fits in the living room is pretty short sighted.

They had typical flat Chicago accents, not pleasing to the ear.  Even though I do not live in Chicago, I screamed at the TV in outrage at that sorry excuse for a pizza.  Sacrilege!

It was said at the beginning of the show that they are not originally from Chicago.

4 hours ago, cameron said:

It was said at the beginning of the show that they are not originally from Chicago.

Must've missed it, but, their accents seemed to be the typical flat midwestern accents heard in that part of the country.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2021 at 2:10 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Personally, I though the guy should have had Huge Loser written on his forehead.

I just watched this episode and found him the least annoying of the four. Her: "I can't do white cabinets!" You'll only be there for three years. Don't look at them.  Father: "Everything is builder grade and must be replaced!" Well, if you can buy the place with builder grade (and pay less) you can sell it with builder grade. Mother: "HOA makes the place look nice. No truck in driveway" You won't be living there. Look the other way when you visit. The HOA might not like three dogs either.

Edited by Dehumidifier
typo
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I just watched this episode and found him the least annoying of the four. Her: "I can't do white cabinets!" You'll only be there for three years. Don't look at them.  Father: "Everything is builder grade and must be replaced!" Well, if you can buy the place with builder grade (and pat less) you can sell it with builder grade. Mother: "HOA makes the place look nice. No truck in driveway" You won't be living there. Look the other way when you visit. The HOA might not like three dogs either.

We owned in a home in a neighborhood with no HOA and our next door neighbor parked an old car, a trailer made out of the back end of a truck, and a small boat on the side of his house which was alongside our driveway. When we were getting ready to sell my husband asked him to remove them because they were an eyesore. He did move the junk, but never spoke to my husband again for the short time we lived there. The house sold quickly and we are happy that our present neighborhood has an HOA.

• Love 6

I can’t wrap my head around the Dallas guy fixated on investment buying a house in the flight path of a major metropolitan airport. I can’t conceive of spending $800,000 for that location and would compromise on other things before that as it would so severely impact my life. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

I just watched this episode and found him the least annoying of the four. Her: "I can't do white cabinets!" You'll only be there for three years. Don't look at them.  Father: "Everything is builder grade and must be replaced!" Well, if you can buy the place with builder grade (and pat less) you can sell it with builder grade. Mother: "HOA makes the place look nice. No truck in driveway" You won't be living there. Look the other way when you visit. The HOA might not like three dogs either.

Builder grade does need to be replaced if you want to sell it for profit, and properties with boats/trucks/tyres on the grass or neighbours grass do sell for less.

• Love 4

Chicago: The sisters didn’t bother me much. Although, I kept think the younger one (the realtor) was the older one. I guess it was because of the height. I hate when people who want a 2/2 settle for a 1/1. It is so limiting that you should get the 2/2 not matter what. Don’t settle. I lived in my 1/1 for 8 years and I finally went crazy. LOL!!!! I did shift work almost those years so I didn’t care and it was basically somewhere to sleep. I do like that they mention the HOA’s. It’s amazing how high some of them are. I think people don’t even use half the amenities available and still pay that huge HOA. Of course, this is Chicago where I would expect it. I live in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia where it’s much more reasonable and/or manageable. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Totally agree about the Father and Daughter mentioned above.  Our first home had builder grade cabinets and when we sold it 5 years later made a huge profit on the sale and Daughter should be happy that she had a place to live with those three large dogs for three years.  Try finding a rental that would allow that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Totally agree about the Father and Daughter mentioned above.  Our first home had builder grade cabinets and when we sold it 5 years later made a huge profit on the sale and Daughter should be happy that she had a place to live with those three large dogs for three years.  Try finding a rental that would allow that.

Exactly!

• Love 2

Dallas couple - in the first house (in the flight path of the airport), the husband pointed out a couple of things that could be potential issues such as problems with the foundation (cracks in wall), and age of house.  The wife could only see how they could raise their children there, and entertain with the pool in the backyard.  She was one of those buyers who impress me as one who would buy a house based on a cute doorway, and the house could be falling down with water in the basement, but she would buy it for the cuteness and charm.  In the end that was the house they bought, but given what we saw for the choices, I would have bought #3 with lots of square footage (for those future children that kept being mentioned), perfect bathrooms, and a pool.  

My brother lived in the flight path of the Nashville airport, and that isn't nearly as busy, but it was still so annoying that he moved as soon as he could afford to do so because of the noise.   

• Love 3
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

She was one of those buyers who impress me as one who would buy a house based on a cute doorway, and the house could be falling down with water in the basement, but she would buy it for the cuteness and charm. 

When I view a couple like that I just SMH and wonder on what basis the marriage thrives??  They seemed to disagree on everything and, after a while, it gets grating on the nerves to see them at opposite ends of the spectrum on so many issues.

Then, I thought maybe all the dissension is producer driven to give the show more "drama" because at the end when they were relaxing near the pool with their drinks, they seemed to get along fine!

How the financial-expert husband whose PRIMARY goal was "return on investment" agreed to buy a house with a direct flight path to a major airport defies logic and common sense!!

I recall similar situations when buying a house and once I heard the air traffic I didn't even look at the interior of the house (or care about the exterior) because I knew that constant noise (including during the night) would drive me bonkers and that included the pollution  from the plane engines that was sure to spew all around the property on a constant basis, especially when entertaining!

• Love 2
On 11/11/2021 at 5:44 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Her parents are, in three years, EARNING money off this. In the end they'll come out on top, as if they spent nothing. 

Standard advice for years was that one must keep a house at least seven years to make it worth buying. Now it seems to be 5 to 7 years:

https://listwithclever.com/real-estate-blog/how-long-should-you-live-in-a-house-before-selling/#:~:text=Knowing exactly when to sell your house can,when applied to your specific goals and situation.

The article below actually says: "But with an upgrade cycle of about three years, there’s a good chance that you will lose money."..."When you purchase a house, the general rule is that you want to be sure you’ll be in the same location for at least five years. Otherwise, you’re probably going to take a hit financially."

https://moneyning.com/housing/the-five-year-rule-for-buying-a-house/

The mother did not seem thrilled when she said they had bought a house for the daughter when she was in medical school and had been asked to buy another one. The father was quite agitated also.

Add 9 years of dog wear and tear (3x3) and there is no guarantee of any profit. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

properties with boats/trucks/tyres on the grass or neighbours grass do sell for less.

But doesn't that mean you also bought it for less, so it's proportional?

That's what I think of every time someone says something like backing onto a freeway or having only one bathroom will hurt resale value.  Isn't that baked into the price all along?

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The housing market is so hot in our area you could buy a house today and sell it in a few months for a profit. Houses are going for asking or above. I'd say those parents will make out just fine.

Too bad they'll be selling three years from now when the WFH changes and covid flight have settled down.

Edited by Dehumidifier