Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While I was going to give them a chance just to see what kind of houses were shown even though they were really annoying, I had to delete the Oregon to Oklahoma episode when I heard the mother say that the son was three years old and they showed him squished in his car seat facing backwards with his feet pushed up against him. They are idiots.

Edited by stewedsquash
heard
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, pdlinda said:

Very cute!

I recall the wife saying she was a Nurse Practitioner.  Did anyone catch what the husband did for a living?

A full-time Nurse Practitioner could easily clear a 6 figure salary with benefits; so she has a very good job.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, pdlinda said:

Very cute!

I recall the wife saying she was a Nurse Practitioner.  Did anyone catch what the husband did for a living?

I had closed captioning on, and according to that, he was a clinical systems analyst , as I recall.  
i agree with the comments about how cute the kid was going up the stairs!  
this couple seemed like one of the more level headed compatible couples.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I suspect a lot of the "I don't want ghosts" or "no deaths" in the house people are just doing that for a story line.     I remember one couple a long time ago that kept talking about their fear of ghosts, and hauntings, bought a place next to a cemetery.    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

That sounds like a job he could do at home.

That depends on his exact role (it's kind of a catchall title) but it is possible.  The pandemic certainly proved that a lot more can be done remotely than originally thought.

13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Charlotte: The whole thing about him wanting a guest house to get away from her and the kids was ridiculous. He helped make those “four kids in four years” so he has to deal with them!

LOL!!  Apparently, he doesn't agree with you!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The whole thing about him wanting a guest house to get away from her and the kids was ridiculous. He helped make those “four kids in four years” so he has to deal with them!

All this Man Cave and She Shed stuff is just ridiculous.  If you need that much solitary time then don't have kids.  They are a 24/7/365 committment so suck it up, buttercup, and be a parent.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

I bet the Charlotte husband wanted the pool house/guest house for visiting relatives, or a live-in nanny, and maybe part for his remote work office. 

Tonight's Atlanta near the Beltline seach is hysterical.   

The first house looks like a Kleenex box, and house hunter says maybe too much space, right after she says she loves to have family and friends visit, and stay with her.   

House two, older ranch, nice floors.  but house hunter is picky about the shade of kitchen granite.  The guest bath is big, and just needs a vanity with lots of counter space, instead of the vintage wall hung sink.  Huge deck and nice yard.   Main/en suite bath is tiny. 

House three, a one bedroom town home, with a one car garage, near the Beltline.   HOA fees $207 a month, 1022 sq. ft. ironically, virtually the same granite as the second house.  No guest room.  There are three cats hanging out on the patio walls too. En suite main bath is huge.  The office space is off of the garage, across from the house.   It's at the Beltline, but not the paved part.  

She picked #3, I think she'll outgrow it quickly.  (I suspect her cat problem was the same as mine with the rental across the street, where they had two huge wandering cats, who turned the neighbor's yard into a litter box.).   I don't have a problem with cats, but I do have issues with people who let them out to wander on a busy street like the one I live on, and then wonder why their cats get squashed.   

The Atlanta house hunter had been looking for a home for over 18 months, so she was actually super picky.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Atlata, GA. At the end of house 2 where she said she was open minded, I snorted. Open minded is the last thing she is. Try picky and unreasonable. Did the townhouse have a living room? And what's up with her not liking cats? I would take house 1.

• Love 3

Morgantown, WV.    I didn't like their choice the third house with the very sloping front driveway, and the bad slope leading downhill to the back of the house.      I totally hated the second house on the side of a cliff.  There was no where for the dog or future kids, or anyone else to go outside.     I would have bought the first house, and redone the kitchen.    

I may be in a minority but I think the Atlanta picked the appropriate home. She is at a stage at her life when she doesn't need to live in a single family home and deal with the maintenance.

At such time as she gets married and has kids, she can move into a larger home. Presumably her husband will be working and so they will have a dual income and be able to afford a standard 3 bedroom/2 bath home.

What was surprising to me was that the choices for condos/townhouses was so bad. There have been other episodes set in Atlanta where the HH was looking for a condo/townhouse reasonably proximate to city and the choices seemed better. That was quite a small townhouse and there didn't seem to be anything special about the finishes. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, amarante said:

What was surprising to me was that the choices for condos/townhouses was so bad. There have been other episodes set in Atlanta where the HH was looking for a condo/townhouse reasonably proximate to city and the choices seemed better. That was quite a small townhouse and there didn't seem to be anything special about the finishes. 

I completely agree with you!  I thought the 2nd house had at least a certain degree of curb appeal, but the 1st house had NO curb appeal and the inside was just OK, and the condo she picked, as you said, had NOTHING that remotely showed any upscale features or appointments.  It looked very dated in spite of the renovations.

• Love 3

I thought the garage on the entry level of the townhouse in the Atlanta episode and that the "office space" was actually a garage storage room. I was relieved when she did pick that house instead of the other two. it is perfect for where she is in life now and she will enjoy it. The story at the beginning said she was debating buying a sized for her alone home or getting a bigger home that would fit a future husband and kids. I am glad that she chose a sized for her now home. 

She was cool for me but the realtor who said she was also a good friend annoyed me. I liked the keep your shoes in their box quip. I wondered if she meant the original boxes or the individual storage boxes you can buy. Then I kept looking at her shoes to see if they were worth the bragging she did. She looked really cute in her Levi's though, ha.

Edited by stewedsquash

I liked the OC hunters a lot, and would have loved to have a Prof that sexy when I was at university. 😍

I wonder if the sellers of the third house was trying to create a bidding war with that low price. Because I'd be wondering what is wrong with it otherwise, especially as it was an obvious flip. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 1

The Chicago house hunter is the soon to be ex-husband, and his soon to be ex-wife is helping him hunt.  Brian is a software engineer.    Ex-wife is his real estate agent.  Budget is $500k, wants multiple bedrooms, outdoor space, and room for his 107 board games.  I'm guessing Brian and Leanne are still a little ticked at each other. 

#1 the new construction condo looks familiar, modern, 3 bed 2 bath, 1500 sq ft, but it's $450k.    Up-and-coming location.   Garage parking.   This house looks so familiar that I wonder if it's been shown on here before. 

#2 Logan Square, smaller and more expensive. $549k 2 bedrooms. which means no office space, also new construction.  Covered parking, with carport. 

#3 an older place, with a deck. $505k,  primary with ensuite is on main floor, but daughter's room would be on another floor.  Daughter's bedroom in on basement level, so I guess Brian would move downstairs while the daughter's little.  No garage. 

He picks #3, the older duplex. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Chicago house hunter is the soon to be ex-husband, and his soon to be ex-wife is helping him hunt.  Brian is a software engineer.    Ex-wife is his real estate agent.  Budget is $500k, wants multiple bedrooms, outdoor space, and room for his 107 board games.  I'm guessing Brian and Leanne are still a little ticked at each other. 

#1 the new construction condo looks familiar, modern, 3 bed 2 bath, 1500 sq ft, but it's $450k.    Up-and-coming location.   Garage parking. 

#2 Logan Square, smaller and more expensive. $549k 2 bedrooms. which means no office space, also new construction.  Covered parking, with carport. 

#3 an older place, with a deck. $505k,  primary with ensuite is on main floor, but daughter's room would be on another floor.  Daughter's bedroom in on basement level, so I guess Brian would move downstairs while the daughter's little.  No garage. 

He picks #3, the older duplex. 

The 107 board games says it all!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Yes, the Chicago board game lover HH, said he would use one of the downstairs bedrooms to be near his daughter while she is young.  The last scene showed the primary bedroom upstairs being used as his office and storage area for board games and a lot of other stuff.  That place had the most space, but no covered parking which I would think is a plus in Chicago winters.

Every time I watch episodes like this, and see what housing cost in so many urban areas across the country, I realize that I would never be able to afford anything of the size and quality of the house I have now which I bought in 2003 if I wanted to live in a big city.   Boggles my mind to be thinking of spending $400,000 plus a monthly condo fee for a small unit.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I liked the OC hunters a lot, and would have loved to have a Prof that sexy when I was at university. 😍

I wonder if the sellers of the third house was trying to create a bidding war with that low price. Because I'd be wondering what is wrong with it otherwise, especially as it was an obvious flip. 

Location is everything. Long Beach isn’t as desirable a location as Costa Mesa where I think they bought. I don’t think of Costa Mesa as being particularly coastal though like Newport Beach. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, amarante said:

Location is everything. Long Beach isn’t as desirable a location as Costa Mesa where I think they bought. I don’t think of Costa Mesa as being particularly coastal though like Newport Beach. 

Yes, and not every part of Long Beach is near the coast. And just as you pointed out, not much of Costa Mesa is coastal either. In Long Beach you can get a place near the 405 freeway that will cost $100k less than a place near the beach.

I did like the Costa Mesa house. I wonder if it's on the East side or the "less desirable" West side.

Edited by rhofmovalley
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

Yes, and not every part of Long Beach is near the coast. And just as you pointed out, not much of Costa Mesa is coastal either. In Long Beach you can get a place near the 405 freeway that will cost $100k less than a place near the beach.

I did like the Costa Mesa house. I wonder if it's on the East side or the "less desirable" West side.

I guess my definition of coastal is pretty specific. My parents lived in Laguna Hills but I never thought of them living in a coastal place even though they were fairly close to Laguna Beach. It took longer to find parking than to actually drive there from their home. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Love 1

I guess my definition of coastal is pretty specific. My parents lived in Laguna Hills but I never thought of them living in a coastal place even though they were fairly close to Laguna Beach. It took longer to find parking than to actually drive there from their home. 🤷‍♀️ 

Funny story, some of my coworkers and I were sent to Riverside, California to help open a new location.  We were all from a location in Nevada.  One coworker told me excitedly that he was going to go to the beach every day after work.  I had to inform him that if he wanted to do that he would be driving at minimum an hour and a half and probably more like two hours to get to the beach.  He had never been to California and thought every city was right on the beach.  I asked him after we got back if he ever made it to the beach and he said once, on his day off. Poor guy was so sad. 

I think I remember the Costa Mesa lady saying they lived near the Back Bay bike path so they could ride to the beach.  So, Back Bay isn't on the ocean but it's at least near a body of water that eventually leads to it.

• LOL 3
On 11/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, amarante said:

I may be in a minority but I think the Atlanta picked the appropriate home. She is at a stage at her life when she doesn't need to live in a single family home and deal with the maintenance.

At such time as she gets married and has kids, she can move into a larger home. Presumably her husband will be working and so they will have a dual income and be able to afford a standard 3 bedroom/2 bath home.

Yeah, that condo was old & dated. I think she could have done better. Me spending other people’s money. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Costa Mesa: The professor was hot. Do I have to say more about the episode itself? LOL!!!

I liked the 3rd house better but I understood why they went with #2. All that said, I’m totally confused by the couple (who I did like) though. She kept saying the primary room (when did that happen?) was hers.  I still call it the master bedroom. Anyway, not that it matters are they going to have separate bedrooms? They both openly seemed opposed to having kids. One minute they seemed like a couple and other times it was like they were just roommates. I was just getting confused by them. 

Also, Uncle Mo is hysterical and I think that’s where the hot professor gets his good looks from. What is their nationality? 

Finally, it can not go without saying……a million + for that tiny house?? Crazy money that I’ll never have. What did I do wrong with my life? LOL!!!!

• Love 2
On 11/4/2021 at 11:08 PM, Grizzly said:

Chicago. I think the couple did a good job of demonstrating why they had gotten together and why they are getting divorced. Everly's haircut at the end was cute.

They are the picture of divorce. Goodness gracious. He and his board games was weird. She seemed nice but also very uncomfortable being around him but puts on a good front for co-parenting which is admirable. 

I alway like the HH Chicago episodes because they always seem to be of the condo/loft variety and they are usually modern with/without elevators. They are also so overly priced (from what I I’m used to) but I alway like seeing what these places look like and how much they cost. I could never live there due to their winters though. I don’t even like my Philadelphia winters so there is no way I’d ever move there but they do have the coolest places.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Costa Mesa: The professor was hot. Do I have to say more about the episode itself? LOL!!!

I liked the 3rd house better but I understood why they went with #2. All that said, I’m totally confused by the couple (who I did like) though. She kept saying the primary room (when did that happen?) was hers.  I still call it the master bedroom. Anyway, not that it matters are they going to have separate bedrooms? They both openly seemed opposed to having kids. One minute they seemed like a couple and other times it was like they were just roommates. I was just getting confused by them. 

Also, Uncle Mo is hysterical and I think that’s where the hot professor gets his good looks from. What is their nationality? 

Finally, it can not go without saying……a million + for that tiny house?? Crazy money that I’ll never have. What did I do wrong with my life? LOL!!!!

Thought they said Persian.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, Empress1 said:

It was killing me, but I was trying to figure out how intentional it was because it looked like more than just growing out the black.

Her face looked like wax, it was scary, her lipstick was all over the place, her hair was a mess. Shouldn’t be so proud of shitting  out so many kids that you can’t afford a bigger house. 

On 10/18/2021 at 12:15 AM, ECM1231 said:

I had heard that domesticated rabbits can be trained to use a litter box. 

Re the young Georgia couple with 4  kids ages 6 and under:  I hadn't really noticed her hair but that weird lipstick shade and odd clothing choices did her no favors. I loved the Craftsman they chose, which really was the best choice for them, although more $ than the husband wanted to spend. I hope they don't paint the brick exterior.

I wanted to vomit when that moron announced she wanted to paint the brick. I have a feeling those idiots are going to ruin that beautiful home😢

• Love 4
On 9/30/2021 at 2:42 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

In the words of Sly Stone..."Different strokes for different folks..."

Agree. Not everyone is cut out for it. Moving rural was my greatest mistake.  The lack of amenities, the lack of culture, the lack of brain cells….. etc.  I’m stuck here & I hate it. It sounds good on paper but think it out. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 6
On 11/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, amarante said:

I live in Atlanta, and I was also a bit surprised that the townhouse that she ended up with was the best she could do. It seemed tiny and was dated. That little room off of the garage did not at all seem like a space that would be good for an office, but that's just me. However, her budget was low - around $260K IIRC and the beltline is booming. The areas near the beltline that aren't already very expensive are seen as areas that will substantially increase in value over the years. So it's highly competitive. I think her desired location and/or budget has been different than many of the other house hunters in Atlanta.

With that said,  they didn't actually give us indication of the neighborhoods where she was looking, and 5 to 4 miles from the Beltline isn't really something that I would consider "near the beltline" (4 to 5 miles can easily be a 20 to 30+ minute drive in Atlanta traffic). That first house, where the inside was nice but had no landscaping, looked kind of sketchy to me. I would be very interested to know where it was located. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

At the beginning they explained that they had completely different schedules so that they had separate bedrooms in their previous home and would continue to do that in their new home. Makes sense to me as many couples wind up sleeping in separate rooms by default anyway although most commonly it is for snoring issues. 

The wealthy always had the right idea with separate bedrooms 

The family is Persian/Iranian. There is a large community in Los Angeles and Orange County.

Master bedroom is no longer used on HH. I think it's been more than a year since it was replaced by primary bedroom. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, amarante said:

At the beginning they explained that they had completely different schedules so that they had separate bedrooms in their previous home and would continue to do that in their new home. Makes sense to me as many couples wind up sleeping in separate rooms by default anyway although most commonly it is for snoring issues. 

The wealthy always had the right idea with separate bedrooms 

The family is Persian/Iranian. There is a large community in Los Angeles and Orange County.

Master bedroom is no longer used on HH. I think it's been more than a year since it was replaced by primary bedroom. 

Thanks. I totally forgot about their work schedules so separate bedrooms for that would make perfect (and, practical) sense. I did shift for years but wasn’t married or co-habituating but I always thought how could people with with a spouse and kids sleep when they were done their shift.

I still don’t recall the term master bedroom changing to primary bedroom. Granted, I’m not in real estate but I think the people I know still say “the master bedroom”. I must be out of the loop. I’ll have to bring that up at our next get together. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Thanks. I totally forgot about their work schedules so separate bedrooms for that would make perfect (and, practical) sense. I did shift for years but wasn’t married or co-habituating but I always thought how could people with with a spouse and kids sleep when they were done their shift.

I still don’t recall the term master bedroom changing to primary bedroom. Granted, I’m not in real estate but I think the people I know still say “the master bedroom”. I must be out of the loop. I’ll have to bring that up at our next get together. 

Primary is now used in the current television programs. I think master is still used by many people but it will probably be replaced as people don’t use words like crippled or r******* anymore althiugh they were commonly used in the nit so distant past. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I don't know if the term "master bedroom" has left real world real estate lingo - haven't looked at listings lately. But it has left tv lingo on HGTV shows. It is now either primary or main bedroom.

16 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I still don’t recall the term master bedroom changing to primary bedroom.

I didn't notice it until recently.  From a Real Estate website:

Some realtor groups are moving away from the terms Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom.  They’re making the switch due to negative implications and perceptions involving the word,  “Master.” Both consumers and real estate professionals alike feel that the term “Master” can  have both racist and sexist implications.
Realtors are choosing new descriptive terms including Primary Bedroom and Primary Bath, or  Main Bedroom and Main Bath. Some home builders have started using the terms Owner’s Suiteor Owner’s Retreat.
Master Bedroom has been used in real estate listings and advertising since the 1920s. It’s
largely agreed that the phrase appeared for the first time in the 1926 Sears Catalogue of
Homes, in their description of a Dutch Colonial model called The Glen Falls. Many believe that the word “master” was intended to mean the “master of the house,” which would undoubtedly be a male. Some historians feel that the use of the word in this context was not intended to have ties to slavery.
Either way, words have power. If changing one objectionable word can help to bring on positive change, that will be a welcome step forward.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Many believe that the word “master” was intended to mean the “master of the house,” which would undoubtedly be a male. Some historians feel that the use of the word in this context was not intended to have ties to slavery.

It's a total PC move. I don't know anyone who doesn't call their master bedroom a master bedroom. Such drama. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't call their master bedroom a master bedroom.

I don't have one so I don't know.  Neither did my parents.  I don't even have an ensuite bathroom.  Horrors.

Apparently it's significant enough for there to be a widespread change.  Multiple realtor sites reference the reason for the change.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

It's a total PC move. I don't know anyone who doesn't call their master bedroom a master bedroom. Such drama. 

If the word doesn't matter then why do you care so much that it's changing? 

• Love 7

I'm still amazed that so many on this show are buying their first home, and it's a huge, expensive house.   I guess starter homes went out with the dinosaurs.    

I always shocked at the prices vs. house size in the L.A. and San Francisco areas. I love when the house hunters have a budget in the millions, because I definitely love my house porn. 

I'm watching the Family Medicine resident, moving from New Mexico, where the parents did the down payment on the house for her, and the med. student and boyfriend paid the mortgage, and now the parents are selling it.    She's doing a 3-year residency in Dover, Delaware, and her parents are doing the down payment again, and the couple will pay the mortgage.    I have to laugh at the boyfriend's giant truck that has to be parked, and his 14 foot couch has to be fit into the house too.   House #1 is nice, and will fit the couch, and dogs, but if it has an HOA, no truck.   

House #2 has a few issues, but nothing expensive, and obviously no HOA.  The mother remarks that HOAs maintain value, but 

House #3, a 3 year old house, 2 miles from the hospital, I bet it has an HOA, and I bet you can't park the truck on the street, and there may be rules about big trucks too.   One subdivision near me, says big trucks have to be in the garage, and no street parking.  They need a lot of paint, and lots of flooring, etc. is builder grade.  

What does the boyfriend need a giant truck for anyway?   

I'm not liking the attitude the woman is giving her parents, if she doesn't like their rules, and advice, then pay for her own place.    They buy the first house.     In a few years, I bet it won't be easy to resell that house, because the previous owners in a seller's market, were sick of people wandering through.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm always laughing at the house hunters who want a vintage home, but can't understand why the closets are small, and there isn't an en suite. 

I don't know of a single home among my friends when I was young whose home had an ensuite.  All of the houses in the neighborhood were built in the 50's. Heck, we all shared one bathroom in those homes!

• Love 6

My aunt and uncle had an en suite bathroom in their home and that was considered a luxury.  None of my other family members had one in their homes.  Although, oddly, it was carpeted.  Apparently that used to be a thing but I think it's kind of gross.

I did shift work for several years too and I can't imagine coming home at 4:45 AM and disrupting my partner, especially since where I lived most apartments and condos had that awful thing where there was no door to the bathroom, just an archway.  Luckily (?) I didn't have a partner that entire time.  Although when I lived briefly at my brother's home it was surreal when he would be getting up and having breakfast in the morning and I was in the kitchen enjoying a glass of wine.  Hey, it was after work for me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I think the 1960's were the time when home began having an en suite.

My aunt and uncle moved into a house that was built in the late 1960's and it had an ensuite. It was a very typical ensuite for that period as it was quite small - a small stall shower, toilet and a small sink. 

Maids rooms that were built in the 20th century typically had a tiny ensuite. My friend bought a house with a tiny bedroom with tiny bathroom on the first floor. I had a good friend in lived in an Manhattan apartment building that was built right after WW I and it had a tiny maids room with a toilet. I am not sure it had a sink but since the room was next to the kitchen maybe she washed up in the kitchen. That was my friend's bedroom and it came in handy for smoking pot because of the double door - I had to resort to smoking in my closet 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think the 1960's were the time when home began having an en suite.

Our last house was built in the late 60s and had a master bathroom but it was small. It had toilet, vanity with one sink, a linen closet, and a combo tub/shower. The 'guest' bathroom was a bit bigger with the same features. We remodeled it and removed the linen closet in order to install a larger vanity. The bathroom linen closets were really redundant as there was also a good sized linen closet in the hallway right outside the 'guest' bathroom.

We bought a house built in 1949 and it had a teeny tiny en suite - shower stall, toilet, and sink. Unless someone was in the shower, it was a one person room.

I grew up in a house built around 1890. Indoor plumbing was added at some point - one bathroom with a claw foot tub, no shower. Somehow I lived. 😅

I don't blame HH who want an attached bath.  I love having one now.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I don't know of a single home among my friends when I was young whose home had an ensuite.  All of the houses in the neighborhood were built in the 50's. Heck, we all shared one bathroom in those homes!

It is crazy to me that what was considered a perfectly nice home when I was growing up ('90s) would not even be considered adequate by people with even the tiniest budgets on most of these shows.

I grew up in Atlanta and the McMansion boom there was kind of disturbing.

• Love 8