Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/16/2021 at 10:42 AM, Crashcourse said:

My first thought when they selected that house was "those poor kids!" because they wouldn't have any playmates.  Maybe the parents will drive them to other neighborhoods where they can play.  

Those views were spectacular though (I prefer mountain views to beach views). 

The location of this house was a terrible choice for both the children and the mom. Totally isolated, dirt roads to navigate in the winter, no neighbors or playmates for the children and a long way from a shopping area, pediatrician, dentist and any organized activities for the kiddos. I am guessing that the kids have to be driven to a school that is probably miles away...all this inconvenience so that the Dad has "privacy" and can fulfill a dream of living in the mountains? The kids don't even have a yard to play in...their "yard" is a steep hill or the forest. And let's talk about the safety of living in such an area...bears, mountain lions, Mexican gray wolves, bobcats, rattlesnakes, etc...these are their new "neighbors". Mom will be all alone with no one next door or down the street to socialize with or go to in an emergency while Dad is at work or possibly on an out of town business trip.

I'm so tired of these husbands that want "privacy" that means living miles from everything in the woods. They have no concern at all for the needs of their kids and wives. This couple was so bowled over by the "views" from the main floor, which included a rather large telephone line spanning the entirety of the front windows, that they seemed to think that was the reason for living there...totally disregarding everything else. The husband even said "we can just push the kids out the door into the woods to play and tell them not to come home until it's dark"....the kids were 8 and 6 yrs' old I believe? I was shocked a that comment...even in jest that is not something you say on camera. What an asshat.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 12
On 9/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, LittleIggy said:

She has gone overboard on the procedures since then. Dr. Jim has sure let himself go! Oh, and she’s a model, too! 🤦‍♀️

Well the titles of her books clear up any *confusion* we all had concerning her practice as a psychologist. Seems to be an author of atrocious pop psychology books - The Cheater's Mind; Psyched to be Skinny and Cyber Mind.

Based on her body, I would say that she needs a psychologist dealing with body dysmorphia and eating disorders. 

Edited by amarante
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

The location of this house was a terrible choice for both the children and the mom. Totally isolated, dirt roads to navigate in the winter, no neighbors or playmates for the children and a long way from a shopping area, pediatrician, dentist and any organized activities for the kiddos. I am guessing that the kids have to be driven to a school that is probably miles away...all this inconvenience so that the Dad has "privacy" and can fulfill a dream of living in the mountains? The kids don't even have a yard to play in...their "yard" is a steep hill or the forest. And let's talk about the safety of living in such an area...bears, mountain lions, Mexican gray wolves, bobcats, rattlesnakes, etc...these are their new "neighbors". Mom will be all alone with no one next door or down the street to socialize with or go to in an emergency while Dad is at work or possibly on an out of town business trip.

I'm so tired of these husbands that want "privacy" that means living miles from everything in the woods. They have no concern at all for the needs of their kids and wives. This couple was so bowled over by the "views" from the main floor, which included a rather large telephone line spanning the entirety of the front windows, that they seemed to think that was the reason for living there...totally disregarding everything else. The husband even said "we can just push the kids out the door into the woods to play and tell them not to come home until it's dark"....the kids were 8 and 6 yrs' old I believe? I was shocked a that comment...even in jest that is not something you say on camera. What an asshat.

Wow, that certainly was........harsh.

Millions of kids live outside the city limits and are quite happy and healthy.  In my rural area, farms are spread far apart and the nearest town is a 30 minute drive.  Yes, they have to be driven to school or catch a bus and in the winter they leave in the dark (gasp).  They are also in an area where there are "wild animals" but are taught how to be safe.  Yet everyone seems to thrive without difficulty or trauma. When there is an emergency they call a neighbor and, shocker, we do have 911 services.  Dirt roads area a way of life, not a death sentence.

Not every kid needs to have organized activities.  They play outside, they work around the farm, they make their own fun.  There are things like 4H and church groups that have events and some play sports in their school districts.  They use their imagination rather than being forced into programmed activities.

Living in "a walkable town close to shops and restaurants" is not the only lifestyle that would be a satisfactory way to live.  And the beauty and solitude of that area is especially appealing to those of us who eschew the hassle of being surrounded by noise and people in a city.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, amarante said:

Based on her body, I would say that she needs a psychologist dealing with body dysmorphia and eating disorders. 

And, it seems, that would simply be the "tip of the iceberg." 

There was some mention upthread regarding how "normal" her children seem. 

Having Denise as a mother (with whatever the dynamic is in the "romantic" relationship with the father who considered her such a "beauty" and obviously was right on board with her cosmetic/apparel choices), I wish those kids (and their future spouses) the best of luck!!

• Love 4

That area of Cloudcroft is very isolated from everything in Alamogordo (where the Air Force base is), so everything will require trips up and down the mountain.    I wouldn't ever shove the kids outside to play, you might not see them again.     I lived in that area for 10 years, and I wouldn't live up on that mountain unless I was right on the main highway, and didn't mind driving up and down hill for everything. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

The husband even said "we can just push the kids out the door into the woods to play and tell them not to come home until it's dark"....the kids were 8 and 6 yrs' old I believe? I was shocked a that comment...even in jest that is not something you say on camera. What an asshat.

That one I've got to give him a bit of a pass. My father-in-law used to spend entire days out with his brothers when he was 4, sometimes even on his own. Though it might be a bit different as they lived on a large property with woods and a stream etc but it was theirs, not public. And no wolves or bears or dangerous snakes in Britain... But age wise I'd have no problem letting a 6 and 8 year play outside all day. Just depends on the area. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Wow, that certainly was........harsh.

Millions of kids live outside the city limits and are quite happy and healthy.  In my rural area, farms are spread far apart and the nearest town is a 30 minute drive.  Yes, they have to be driven to school or catch a bus and in the winter they leave in the dark (gasp).  They are also in an area where there are "wild animals" but are taught how to be safe.  Yet everyone seems to thrive without difficulty or trauma. When there is an emergency they call a neighbor and, shocker, we do have 911 services.  Dirt roads area a way of life, not a death sentence.

Not every kid needs to have organized activities.  They play outside, they work around the farm, they make their own fun.  There are things like 4H and church groups that have events and some play sports in their school districts.  They use their imagination rather than being forced into programmed activities.

Living in "a walkable town close to shops and restaurants" is not the only lifestyle that would be a satisfactory way to live.  And the beauty and solitude of that area is especially appealing to those of us who eschew the hassle of being surrounded by noise and people in a city.

That's great for you and your family...I was offering an opinion about being isolated from things that a suburban family would find difficult. Sure, you grew up that way but I don't think this family did. They don't have a farm to play around on...or anything even remotely resembling that. They were a suburban couple with young kids...not farmers, not even gentlemen farmers...and this isn't a farm. What neighbor are they going to call? They have none. No family nearby either. I never said anything about living in a walkable town with shops and restaurants...I was referring to having to run to the store for milk, bread, orange juice or cough medicine and having to drive miles away in a snowstorm...that part of New Mexico in the mountainous areas has rough winters with a lot of snow. I did not say anything derogatory about dirt roads...I was stating that driving on a dirt road in the winter way up there could be very treacherous. I've lived in New Mexico and winters can be rough. Yes, maybe where you live you have more social opportunities that have been in place for generations like 4H or church. Not sure that exists in that part of New Mexico or would even be something that would appeal to this family.

Irregardless, I have lived in many places as a child and as an adult...as a mother who had three small children at one time and a husband that traveled a lot, I felt great comfort that I lived in neighborhoods where I had schools nearby, a ten or fifteen minute drive to the pediatrician or a grocery store and lots of other kids for my kids to play with and other moms to chat with...I have a brother who has always lived in isolated areas with his kids and wife and honestly, his kids always resented this. They desperately wanted to be near town and have friends nearby. They lived in four different homes that were miles away from anything and had long New England winters where sometimes they were snowed in for days or a couple of weeks. Both kids live in cities now. My brother lives on an isolated island off the coast of a northern New England state now and his kids never go there.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comments... was just stating that from what I saw of the property and where it was located, it might not have been the best decision for a young family who have not had this kind of lifestyle experience. No need to get defensive...this isn't a commentary about country life vs surburban life...each to his own.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

...it might not have been the best decision for a young family who have not had this kind of lifestyle experience.

But we don't know what experience they have had.  Plus, we know that they had already purchased the property before the filming and they seem to have survived quite nicely. THe children had clearly not been eaten by wild carnivores.

Moving around for the military makes families a lot more adaptable than most.  My brother is a career Marine and he and his family have moved every two or three years even when the kids were young.  His wife managed just fine where ever they landed and the kids are very well rounded because of it.  They make friends easily as does their mom.  She seeks out activities that connected her with other women in the area.

Just saying that the automatic assumption that a young family will only survive in the city can be a bit short sighted.

PS I didn't grow up on a farm but in a suburb of a big city.  Moved to the country by choice.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I guess Denise's education didn't include grammar - "starring Jim and I" should be Jim and me. So many people don't use the proper case (in this instance, objective) of personal pronouns, but still...

If that is any indication of the intellectual depth of her "doctorate degree" (DPsy) I shudder to think of her ability to communicate with her "patients."  

I believe there's much more to the family's story than could be shown in this type of show.  Perhaps a documentary film maker would be interested in them.  It would be a fascinating look into a dysfunctional family seeking constant publicity and holding advanced degrees.  I would certainly watch!😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I guess Denise's education didn't include grammar - "starring Jim and I" should be Jim and me. So many people don't use the proper case (in this instance, objective) of personal pronouns, but still...

As a university ESL instructor, I always wince when I see or hear pronoun errors like this. The designer half of the Boise Boys made several such errors on the first episode of their new series Outgrown. 

• Love 4
On 9/18/2021 at 12:36 AM, LittleIggy said:

She has gone overboard on the procedures since then. Dr. Jim has sure let himself go! Oh, and she’s a model, too! 🤦‍♀️

What I noticed is that she owns her own publishing company!  And it's the one that published her books!  What a coincidence!

It also looks like she hasn't worked as a psychologist since 2012 and most of her professional experience was as a psychologist at correctional facilities but her books are about weight loss and relationships and cyberbullies.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, pdlinda said:
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If that is any indication of the intellectual depth of her "doctorate degree" (DPsy) I shudder to think of her ability to communicate with her "patients." 

Many years ago, I had a friend who was applying to a doctorate program in psychology.  I read the essay he was submitting with his application, which was about how his upbringing influenced his desire to be a psychologist.  The essay began, "Me and my sister..."  And they admitted him!  I couldn't believe it.

What I find so ironic is that people are terrified of the word "me," and will say "starring Jim and I," but turn right around and start a sentence with "Me and Jim."  So they hate the word "me" only when it's actually used correctly.  The worst part is that the "starring Jim and I" is so common it's starting to sound not wrong, even to this grammar pedant.

Also, I noticed that you put "doctorate degree" in quotes, when mentioning her PsyD.  My brother is a PhD psychologist in private practice, and a while back I asked him about PsyD psychologists, if the PhDs look down on them, since it's a newer type of degree.

He said the PsyD programs came out of a dispute in the field between academicians and practicing psychologists, because academicians ruled the roost.

He knows several PsyDs and said there's no real-world distinction.  The only issue is whether the program is APA approved, so you can get licensed, and accept insurance.  PsyDs are less research oriented than PhDs, and they don't do a dissertation, but they do do a major research project. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I just went to the Naples lady's website and looked at her resume.  I found these errors just skimming:

Inside the Cheaters Mind (at least on the actual book cover there's the possessive apostrophe)

airing in 147 countires including the U.S.

publsiher

prominant

facilitater

monitering

refferals

YVES SAINT LAURENT COSETICS

professioanal (it could be that this is simply a term I'm blessedly not familiar with)

Licesnsed Psychologist

Apply speaking material to mental health professionals and correctional facilities. (Huh?)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Many years ago, I had a friend who was applying to a doctorate program in psychology.  I read the essay he was submitting with his application, which was about how his upbringing influenced his desire to be a psychologist.  The essay began, "Me and my sister..."  And they admitted him!  I couldn't believe it.

What I find so ironic is that people are terrified of the word "me," and will say "starring Jim and I," but turn right around and start a sentence with "Me and Jim."  So they hate the word "me" only when it's actually used correctly.  The worst part is that the "starring Jim and I" is so common it's starting to sound not wrong, even to this grammar pedant.

Also, I noticed that you put "doctorate degree" in quotes, when mentioning her PsyD.  My brother is a PhD psychologist in private practice, and a while back I asked him about PsyD psychologists, if the PhDs look down on them, since it's a newer type of degree.

He said the PsyD programs came out of a dispute in the field between academicians and practicing psychologists, because academicians ruled the roost.

He knows several PsyDs and said there's no real-world distinction.  The only issue is whether the program is APA approved, so you can get licensed, and accept insurance.  PsyDs are less research oriented than PhDs, and they don't do a dissertation, but they do do a major research project. 

I have 33 credits towards a PsyD back in my past. Thought the degree was perfect for me. But I was too young and the internship where I'd have to present a case freaked me out. Who knows, if I had stuck with it I could've been Denise.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2021 at 6:10 AM, cameron said:

Their children won't have anyone around them to play together.

They might be fine with that.

I definitely would've chosen one of the mountain houses.  The desert one was fine but there were just too many other houses around it for me.  And I hated how modern it was inside.  (To be honest, I wouldn't have lived in either place.  Give me Santa Fe any day.)

On 9/19/2021 at 6:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wouldn't ever shove the kids outside to play, you might not see them again. 

Clearly that line was a joke.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, Cetacean said:

But we don't know what experience they have had.  Plus, we know that they had already purchased the property before the filming and they seem to have survived quite nicely. THe children had clearly not been eaten by wild carnivores.

Exactly.  They'd been living there for months or even a year or so when HH was filmed.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

As a university ESL instructor, I always wince when I see or hear pronoun errors like this. The designer half of the Boise Boys made several such errors on the first episode of their new series Outgrown. 

My personal pet peeve is the use of "Myself and...". That is never, ever correct.

She "wrote" books on weight loss? What is the subject matter, how to make yourself frighteningly skinny and then wear clothing meant for 22 year old young women when you're middle aged?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, rhofmovalley said:

My personal pet peeve is the use of "Myself and...". That is never, ever correct.

They seem to think "Myself" and "I" sound more erudite than "Me", but it makes them look like morons.

I wonder if she got called out for saying "me and Jim" as a child and vowed never to use "me" again.

• Love 4

Oklahoma City, OK. How big is his boat that it won't fit in the garage at #1?  And her voice! Is it an accent or the way she speaks? #2 would need too many updates. #3 is a great deal. Fridge in the bathroom, that's a first.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Oklahoma City, OK. How big is his boat that it won't fit in the garage at #1?  And her voice! Is it an accent or the way she speaks? #2 would need too many updates. #3 is a great deal. Fridge in the bathroom, that's a first.

Yeah, house3 was my favorite.  Interesting that they were moving from OR to OK.  The friends in OK did not have Oklahoma accents.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the OK episode because I lived in Edmond for a few years when my kids were very young. I would pack up my house today and move back there tomorrow if I could. Great place to live. The people are great and OKC is a fun little city. And it’s true about the woodwork in the houses there—every builder puts in tons of storage cabinets and bookshelves as a matter of course.

I don’t think there is such a thing as an Oklahoma accent. I never noticed it in my 7 years of living there. Shoot, here in Texas it’s rare to hear a Texas accent anymore!

Edited by StrictTime
Edited
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, StrictTime said:

I enjoyed the OK episode because I lived in Edmond for a few years when my kids were very young. I would pack up my house today and move back there tomorrow if I could. Great place to live. The people are great and OKC is a fun little city. And it’s true about the woodwork in the houses there—every builder puts in tons of storage cabinets and bookshelves as a matter of course.

I don’t think there is such a thing as an Oklahoma accent. I never noticed it in my 7 years of living there. Shoot, here in Texas it’s rare to hear a Texas accent anymore!

I have 3 friends who are Oklahoman. One sounds like he's from Tennessee, one has no accent at all and the third only has an accent when he's intoxicated. As he put it, "The Okie in me comes out when I'm drunk".

I thought all three homes were nice, but I favor the one with the 2 acre backyard that "needed work". Just a bit of cosmetic updating, IMO.

• Love 4

I liked the third house outside the best.    I didn't like the second house exterior, it just looked gloomy, and drab.   Also, the foil pattern wall paper in multiple rooms was awful. 

I couldn't believe how small the main bedroom in the first house was.  I wonder why they bought a huge house, with a lot of bedrooms, and still put two boys in the same room?   

I would have bought the third house.       I really didn't like the first house.    

• Love 2
On 9/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, Cetacean said:

Moving around for the military makes families a lot more adaptable than most.  My brother is a career Marine and he and his family have moved every two or three years even when the kids were young.  His wife managed just fine where ever they landed and the kids are very well rounded because of it.  They make friends easily as does their mom.  She seeks out activities that connected her with other women in the area.

Just saying that the automatic assumption that a young family will only survive in the city can be a bit short sighted.

PS I didn't grow up on a farm but in a suburb of a big city.  Moved to the country by choice.

Whatever...you won, OK?

• LOL 6

Austin, TX. Is "Where's Lydia?" going to be the next where's Waldo? Good thing he loves her and isn't coming up with my answers. And who does she need to get away from to have me time? He's preoccupied with his lizards. Have to agree with her that lizards should not be in the house. It's not so much the lizards, it's the insects they eat. I hate bugs. I did not like house #3. Can't believe how much over asking they had to pay. Glad she was able to compromise.

• Love 6

I'm watching the reruns on HGTV this morning, and the Portland shopper who says Rad all of the time is really irritating to me.    I remember her from the last showing, and dressing like the 70's isn't taking years off of your age. 

On the Austin episode, I wonder if he's allowed to have all of the lizards?   Some are restricted because of species, and because they aren't native species.   Also, a lot of HOAs restrict exotics, just dogs and cats allowed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Lucy said:

Lizard man gave me the creeps. She seemed to resent his obsession with the lizards. WHY are they getting married????

So true!  Her voice was garbled when she mentioned she did some type of "training?" Could anyone ID what type of training she did???

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

So true!  Her voice was garbled when she mentioned she did some type of "training?" Could anyone ID what type of training she did???

I think it was either "personal" or "fitness" training.

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think it was either "personal" or "fitness" training.

Oh....in that case I would think she would have requested ("demanded") some space in the house for a gym/workout room??

I couldn't hear it at all, but after seeing how she interacted with him, I thought it might be some type of IT/business training? 

Whatever it was, she seems to be doing quite well financially.  He said he got a job as an "associate" vet so I'm sure he's making a decent living; however I got the impression her wants/needs/desires $$$ would be funded by her😄

Edited by pdlinda
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I thought it was just my ears.  I couldn't understand a damn thing she said when she mentioned what she did for a living.

• Love 3

Compared to the costs of college and vet school, being a vet is not well paying.    The vet may only have the lizards as a hobby, but work as a small animal vet.   My vet a few towns ago was the only one in town that would work with exotics, or anything but the usual domestic pets.  

Today's OWN reruns were hysterical.   One couple kept saying the decoy houses had small kitchens, and then 'chose' the house with the smallest kitchen, and carpet everywhere, and they claimed they couldn't live with carpet anywhere in the house.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

For some reason I assumed the vet got a position at a zoo which is really the only place where there are significant numbers of "exotic" animals needing vet care. 

I can't imagine the logistics of tending to that many reptiles. Granted they are not as high maintenance as a dog but you still have to clean their cages regularly and make sure they have a supply of clean water. 

I owned an iguana years ago as my mother was a science teacher and brought home the classroom iguana which I kept. It really wasn't a very interesting animal to own - it had no interest in interacting and so spent its life inside the cage - on the rare occasions when he (or she) was removed from the cage, the iguana would make a dash and scurry up the blinds and have to be captured. The iguana did require some level of maintenance as there would be iguana turds that had to be cleaned - and I had to get some kind of larvae to feed it.

I was very glad when my parents brought home a dog and I had an animal that I could have a true relationship with.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I wish the Austin hunter hadn't described herself as "a girly girl" just because she didn't like lizards. Sigh. BTW, were those lizards his job or what? If he got rid of half of them they would have had another $50k to add to the house budget lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, Grizzly said:

Who knew HH would make a good game of telephone? I thought he was an "exotic" vet.

He said “exotic” and “associate.” There are some vet practices that specialize in exotic animals. Think “Dr. K’s Exotic Animal ER.”  I thought he seemed too nice and mellow for her. He said they were alike. They weren’t!

• Love 9
On 9/24/2021 at 8:09 AM, Lady Lucy said:

Lizard man gave me the creeps. She seemed to resent his obsession with the lizards. WHY are they getting married????

I agree! She seemed repulsed, frightened even, of the 140 LIZARDS! I don't blame her. If it had been me, I wouldn't have gotten much past the first date, much less to engagement to a reptile-keeper. I wonder how the neighbors feel having a reptile building in the neighborhood.

I got bad vibes from the guy, especially when he said at the end, something like, she loves me and so was willing to give up the things she wanted ...

I get that these people on HH have already purchased a house and this is made-up drama for the most part, but it always irks when when one of them (usually the woman) has such definite opinions and wants but is willing to cave to their partner's wishes.

Edited by debbie311
  • Love 4

The Tampa husband was getting on my last nerve.  He needs to study hurricanes a little bit more before deciding not to buy a two story house, or that brick will matter to a hurricane like the one we just experienced in Louisiana (Ida).  Also, tornadoes spin off from those storms, and will demolish anything in their path.  If he's so concerned about that, perhaps she should have chosen another area of the country in which to do her residency.  Hurricanes are like the honey badger - they don't care.  While the wife's voice was irritating, I sympathize with her putting up with his endless list of things to beware of.  

No one has mentioned the mother/son duo moving from Colorado to New Jersey.  I was laughing through the entire episode that the teenage son wanted a traditional house with a porch, a backyard, and a suburban feel.  Good for him.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

No one has mentioned the mother/son duo moving from Colorado to New Jersey.  I was laughing through the entire episode that the teenage son wanted a traditional house with a porch, a backyard, and a suburban feel.  Good for him.

I really liked Colorado to NJ mom and son.  They got along really well, and, even though they supposedly wanted completely different things in a home, they were respectful of one another.  They also both had good senses of humor.

I also liked that the mom reminded him that he would be out of the house in a few years and it would be her living there alone which needed to be part of the equation.  And, that, while he wanted a space of his own, like all teens, he was very excited to get space in the basement to do his thing; he didn't demand the biggest bedroom with an en suite or a massive remodel.  We've seen some bratty kids on the show, including the daughter who got the primary bedroom with private bath just last week.

Their reasons for preferring different styles of home also made sense.  The kid wanted a backyard in the 'burbs to hang out with his friends and toss a football around.  Mom wanted minimal lawn maintenance and a big walk in closet close to the city where she enjoyed theater and dining out.

• Love 6