Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On the Chicago house, I would keep the coach house rental and basement rental for right now, to help pay down the mortgage, and to save for renovating the lower level into family living space.   Then you could pay cash for renos.    Then, someday turn the downstairs into living space, if there's already an interior staircase.     I wonder how the coach house tenant accesses the coach house?  It looked like from the courtyard, so I wonder if there's an alley access or a passageway from the street to the courtyard?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
17 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Corvallis, OR. Were they just looking for a flip? The place they chose was awful. 

Given the constraints of budget and location it seemed to be the best of a bad lot.

When all of the choices are so terrible I often wonder if those are really all that were available. 

I would assume that it can always be rented to students as it looked about the same as a lot of my college and grad rentals were. Of course I went to school in the dark ages where students had pretty low expectations of what kind of places we would be living in. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the Chicago house, I would keep the coach house rental and basement rental for right now, to help pay down the mortgage, and to save for renovating the lower level into family living space.   Then you could pay cash for renos.    Then, someday turn the downstairs into living space, if there's already an interior staircase.     I wonder how the coach house tenant accesses the coach house?  It looked like from the courtyard, so I wonder if there's an alley access or a passageway from the street to the courtyard?    

In Chicago, a lot of the housing has access to the back via alleys.  I figure the coach house can be reached through the alley where they may also have a place to park.

• Useful 1

Corvallis, OR couple mentioned several times that they decided not to spend money on a ring and wedding and focus on purchasing a home, which is fine.  However, I was wondering if they really did want to get married, why not just go to the courthouse and get married, with fun, simple wedding bands for rings?   It didn't have to be an either/or situation so their narrative just sounded strange, but I guess they needed one for the show.  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Re: Chicago episode

My thoughts on the house  they bought, and the rentals

Convert the lower level for add'l living space/sq footage  making it a single family home - and rent out the coach house.

The coach house is already rented out. Hot Realtor mentioned that.

7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Corvallis, OR couple mentioned several times that they decided not to spend money on a ring and wedding and focus on purchasing a home, which is fine.  However, I was wondering if they really did want to get married, why not just go to the courthouse and get married, with fun, simple wedding bands for rings?   It didn't have to be an either/or situation so their narrative just sounded strange, but I guess they needed one for the show.  

They DID get married, they just didn't spend a package on it like a lot of morons. 

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

They DID get married, they just didn't spend a package on it like a lot of morons. 

I must have missed it because I didn't hear them say they got married. 

And I wouldn't call people "morons" who had money to spend on a wedding, if that's what they wanted.  After all, it's their money.

• Love 7
On 9/2/2021 at 8:00 PM, Grizzly said:

Corvallis, OR. Were they just looking for a flip? The place they chose was awful. 

They're probably only planning to live there until he finishes his PhD, and then rent it out. The location is close to the university so it shouldn't be hard to find tenants. I think it's a smart investment given their situation, even if it's not the nicest home.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, sheetmoss said:

Re: Chicago episode

My thoughts on the house  they bought, and the rentals

Convert the lower level for add'l living space/sq footage  making it a single family home - and rent out the coach house.

They might do that in a few years when the kids become too old to share a room. For now they probably really need the rental income from both units, considering how much they paid for the property, plus the cost of renovating the main unit.

I loved the silver fox realtor as well, but noticed that he was wearing a wedding ring, so he's off the market.

• LOL 3
On 9/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, Crashcourse said:

If you want to be really annoyed, stream the Netflix series Marriage or Mortgage.

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Thank you! Was about to post the same thing! 😏

That's my POV, too.  I like pretty scenery, including handsome men.  I'm not going to fly cross country and stalk him, but his presence enhanced my viewing experience.

I had a work friend who was a nun.  She and a couple of our coworkers really loved a TV series with a good looking leading man and they used to gush about him.  I once pointed out that she'd taken a vow of celibacy.  She replied, 'My celibacy wouldn't be much of a gift to the Lord if I didn't think boys were cute.'  She had a point there.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, Crashcourse said:

And I wouldn't call people "morons" who had money to spend on a wedding, if that's what they wanted.  After all, it's their money.

If the choice is to spend money for a one night party or use the money for something that will benefit your long term economic stability, I would say they are economic morons to opt for a wedding in lieu of a down payment. 

That kind of thinking is why most Americans are one paycheck away from economic disaster and a $500 unexpected bill would be an issue.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, amarante said:

If the choice is to spend money for a one night party or use the money for something that will benefit your long term economic stability, I would say they are economic morons to opt for a wedding in lieu of a down payment. 

That kind of thinking is why most Americans are one paycheck away from economic disaster and a $500 unexpected bill would be an issue.

It's still their money, and they can spend it as they wish.  I still wouldn't call them morons and whether they're "one paycheck away from economic disaster" is none of my business.  Nor is it yours.   

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

It's still their money, and they can spend it as they wish.  I still wouldn't call them morons and whether they're "one paycheck away from economic disaster" is none of my business.  Nor is it yours.   

This tread essentially exists to pass judgment on people who appear on HH.

We snark on the all kinds of different ways people do idiotic things. There have been prior episodes of HH in which HH were snarked on because the couple - typically the decision of the wife FWIW - had chosen to defer buying a home in favor of a large wedding. 

Why suddenly is this sacrosanct as a topic to snark on?

Edited by amarante
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, amarante said:

We snark on the all kinds of different ways people do idiotic things. There have been prior episodes of HH in which HH were snarked on because the couple - typically the decision of the wife FWIW - had chosen to defer buying a home in favor of a large wedding. 

You quoted me, and I just responded, that's all.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, amarante said:

Yes.  Some of us have been around here long enough to remember that this site used to be called TELEVISION WITHOUT PITY.   :)

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

Some of us have been around here long enough to remember that this site used to be called TELEVISION WITHOUT PITY.   :)

Trivia for the day: Different sites.  This site (well, Previously.tv as it was called then) was launched while TWoP (which had previously been Mighty Big TV) still existed.  There is a lot of similarity, because the same people founded both sites (but they had sold TWoP to Bravo, thus later launching this site) and, after Bravo shuttered TWoP, a large number of its members migrated here, but they're two different sites.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There is a lot of similarity, because the same people founded both sites... (a large number of its members migrated here...

Different site, similar culture.

There's probably on OG thread on SATC from back in the day. Can't remember if there were recaps (*sign* I miss those, but Miss Allie and others are still around the web. Earning more money;-)

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Trivia for the day: Different sites.  This site (well, Previously.tv as it was called then) was launched while TWoP (which had previously been Mighty Big TV) still existed.  There is a lot of similarity, because the same people founded both sites (but they had sold TWoP to Bravo, thus later launching this site) and, after Bravo shuttered TWoP, a large number of its members migrated here, but they're two different sites.

Interesting.  Did Bravo think a site dedicated to snark would attract more Bravo viewers? Only to discover that people don't have to watch the shows to enjoy the snark?  The snark here is often better than the shows - there are several shows I stopped watching, but check here for updates.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5

I like seeing the current shows, with a lot of staged story lines, and then watching the older reruns on OWN, where the house hunters want everything in a house that the new show house hunters are ripping out.   Some of the OWN reruns are 2015, and other older shows, so the must haves really changed. 

The old standard was beige walls, dark or cherry cabinets, and hardwoods, with stainless cabinets.   Today most of the house hunters want white or light kitchens, often like gray walls, and are picky about the shade of granite countertops.  They want either totally new stainless appliances, or bigger fingerprint proof appliances.    They sneer at everything they would have liked years ago. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like seeing the current shows, with a lot of staged story lines, and then watching the older reruns on OWN, where the house hunters want everything in a house that the new show house hunters are ripping out.   

I do that too! A Canadian show "Marilyn" had a fancy on-set kitchen put in ~3 yrs ago with lots of matchy-matchy brass hardware on the cabinets and appliances.  When they debuted the two tones of metal (brass & stainless steel) with great fanfare I knew it would take only a couple of years to look horribly dated!  The show has been virtual for the past 18 months, but today the kitchen cabinets have all black handles & pulls but apparently the handles/knobs on the appliances were too expensive or impossible to replace. It looks like they "antiqued" them to look less brassy.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Memphis: I was hoping they would show a house in Midtown. There are some magnificent old restored homes there. Where was the house they picked? Germantown or Collierville? I missed that bit of info.

It's in Collierville.  I thought they were a cute couple.  The house they bought was huge and came with a huge price tag.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, my3sons said:

It's in Collierville.  I thought they were a cute couple.  The house they bought was huge and came with a huge price tag.

I think it was around 1.2 million? For that price, what the hell was the homeowner thinking when they plastered/mortared over the backsplash? It looked terrible!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

I think it was around 1.2 million? For that price, what the hell was the homeowner thinking when they plastered/mortared over the backsplash? It looked terrible!

That backsplash did look awful. I've observed that having many $$$ doesn't mean good taste.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

For that price, what the hell was the homeowner thinking when they plastered/mortared over the backsplash? It looked terrible!

And isn't the point of a backsplash having something easy to clean from, well, splashes?  I have no idea how you'd wash something like that.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I don't think I have ever detested a Hunter as much as the female ex-cop moving from Florida to Tennessee. Nasty tone of voice, ridiculous comments. There was nothing wrong with any of those kitchens and the bathrooms looked fine to me. 

She was just downright nasty.  "I just cannot buy a house that isn't perfect!"  Has she never bought a house before?  Even the nicest, priciest house is going to have something a buyer will want to change.  Even people who design and build their own homes end up wishing they'd done something different.  Her tone of voice and attitude when speaking about her husband's preferences was really ugly.  I cringed when she spoke about him.

The bathrooms and kitchen in the house they chose looked just fine when they toured it. Not 'out of date' like she claimed. She acted like her personal taste was so much better than anyone else'.  

• Love 18
14 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I don't think I have ever detested a Hunter as much as the female ex-cop moving from Florida to Tennessee. Nasty tone of voice, ridiculous comments. There was nothing wrong with any of those kitchens and the bathrooms looked fine to me. 

I came here to say the same thing.  From the first words out of her mouth...

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I am right there with yall. Man she was a pain in the ass. She thought it was perfectly fine to be picky. But oh no if her husband spoke up she got extra bitchy.

I was hoping he would get the cabin home and roll her ass down the hill!

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I, too, was turned off by her dismissive, abrasive manner!  UGH!!  This was another case where it's so obvious who "runs the show" in that marriage.  The husband is along "for the ride" but, even though he may express his opinion and/or preferences (please note that the cameras are present), it's OBVIOUS whose opinions/desires will prevail.  

I think they mentioned they had a blended family with 9 children (I think the toddler was biologically theirs) so one may only surmise likely scenarios of how their marriage materialized.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Babalooie said:

ME TOO!!! Oy Vey! She was horrible! Just a complete witch (you can put a B in place of the W if you want to). I mean she just seemed to have complete contempt for the husband and he was totally whipped. I felt badly for the realtor...she was way more polite to the wife than I would have been!

• Love 10
On 9/9/2021 at 11:31 PM, Dehumidifier said:

I agree! All that shrieking about her TWO REFRIGERATORS. 🙄 And those caterpillars she had over her eyes were hideous. What kind of job would she get with a (doubtless online) degree in Biblical Studies? 

• Love 15

.Thought it was just me being Friday tired. Tennessee HH was awful. Did she have some kind of baking business or just liked to bake? No, she didn't need a second kitchen. Interesting family configuration with 8 kids between them and a 2 yr old. So none of the older 8 live with them?  Bet she struggles chasing a toddler around. Just an unpleasant woman.

That cabin had so much wood!

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 7

OWN reruns today seem to have a theme, homeowners that you're happy will never live anywhere near you.   Phoenix Kelsey, doesn't want stucco, in Arizona!   Kelsey doesn't seem to realize you can paint walls if you don't like the color.   She also demands a huge main bath, and it must have a tub.   

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I agree! All that shrieking about her TWO REFRIGERATORS. 🙄 And those caterpillars she had over her eyes were hideous. What kind of job would she get with a (doubtless online) degree in Biblical Studies? 

I found this julieroys.com/excommunicated-baptists-say-megachurch-smeared-them-as-racists-and-so-did-sbc-leaders/ 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I found this julieroys.com/excommunicated-baptists-say-megachurch-smeared-them-as-racists-and-so-did-sbc-leaders/ 

Did the HH belong to that church?

I agree that the wife was awful. She lost me when she said the bathroom had too many doors—the entrance door, a shower door, and a door to the water closet. Did she think she’d get lost in there?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 9/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

I was hoping he would get the cabin home and roll her ass down the hill!

He should move to the cabin, and leave her crabby self in town. I don;t know how he puts up with her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Is anyone on this forum familiar with San Francisco and surrounding areas?  Regarding the SF couple who bought the new construction townhouse across the bay from SF - where is it located?  The aerial view showed downtown SF in the background, and the townhouse was located next to a huge complex of very long, low structures.  It almost looked like warehouses.  I did a little poking around on a map, but could not figure out what they are living next to.  

Edited by laredhead
Correcting spelling

The townhouse they bought was on Alameda Island, right next to Oakland on the Bay side.  But I don't know where the townhouses are located.  Alameda is just to the north of the Oakland airport, so they will get some airplane noise.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

Naples, FL. How fake looking is this woman? Chest wasn't this big in their wedding photo. She has to write books since what client wants to listen to her voice? You'd think she'd lived in Florida her whole life with that wrinkly skin. And his hair could use a trim. Wow, I'll try to be more positive tomorrow. I don't even care which property they buy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
On 9/9/2021 at 11:31 PM, Dehumidifier said:

Holy crap, she was quite possibly the ugliest HH to grace the screen. Inside and out. I know it's not cool to comment on people's appearance, especially weight, but when someone is that much of a see ya next Tuesday right off the bat... WOW. Whoever advised her to use the blunt edge of a Sharpie to paint her eyebrows is NOT a friend. And not two, but possibly THREE fridges? Really? Maybe step back from the baking and, I dunno, take a few extra steps while you're at it?

But the cherry on top of it all was at the very beginning when she said something about how she and the husband met at work as cops when she "backed him up on a few traffic stops *nudge wink nudge*." That freaked me out - like, it MIGHT be totally innocuous, but my mind went to an awful place of cops needing so-called back-up on a potentially pretext-based stop... shudder. I haven't read the link above about the Baptist church/racism, but given what a naturally vile troll she showed herself to be (and under the aegis of a bible studies degree to boot), it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Naples FL, with Denise and Jim from SD to Naples.     What the hell am I looking at?     If you spend a ton on 'designer' clothes (that look like the 70's), all kinds of fillers, surgery, huge caterpillar fake lashes, and ginormous boobs, maybe spend more than $20 on a blonde wig (you know it's a cheap wig when even I can tell it's a wig.  I'm not good at that sort of thing).    I find it bizarre that they said the first house was 70's and needed a lot of updates, when they're standing there wearing clothes from the Partridge Family.    I'm not an expert, but I think the husband had some work done too. 

Second house was not dark, and calling it that was absurd.   

Third choice is a condo. 

They pick #2 (the most bedrooms)

I bet they'll both be a hit at the country club, and yacht club.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Naples, FL. How fake looking is this woman? Chest wasn't this big in their wedding photo. She has to write books since what client wants to listen to her voice? You'd think she'd lived in Florida her whole life with that wrinkly skin. And his hair could use a trim. Wow, I'll try to be more positive tomorrow. I don't even care which property they buy.

Yeah, I don't know who she thought she was fooling but no short skirt is going to make her 30 again. Or even 50. And Dolly did it first and did it better. That wig, yeesh.  The houses were dull as dishwater and the husband needed a serious haircut cuz he looked like a schlub (since I commented on her appearance, I figured he needed a mention to keep it fair).

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

And Dolly did it first and did it better

Dolly is a national treasure!! Dolly is tacky and she knows it, This woman is tacky and thinks she's hot and a MILF.

I wonder if her kids are embarrassed by her appearance? 

Edited by edie3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9