Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Brandon in Dallas wth were those rooms they were trying to pass off as bedrooms. The sizes were ridiculous. I always thought to be called a bedroom they had to have both a window and closet. Is that not true?

Yes, a "legal bedroom" has to have a window large enough for a person to get out of, if case of a fire, and a closet.

Also, you cannot say you have more bedrooms than what your septic system is designed for. You can't take open space add walls, closet and call it a "bedroom".

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wondered why she couldn't have the two kids share the extra bedroom during the intervals when both are there. 

When all five of us kids were out of the house, my parents built a new house and had one extra bedroom, just big enough for two twin beds.  If more than one kid happened to be there at a time, they shared that room, regardless of the gender mix.

The daughter probably wouldn't like having two twin beds in her room. She probably wanted a double, or even a queen size.

1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

The daughter probably wouldn't like having two twin beds in her room. She probably wanted a double, or even a queen size.

I still sleep in a twin bed at my Dad's house. It's kind of comforting lol. Bringing back childhood memories. Plus funny Lucy and Ricky jokes with my husband. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Other than brushing teeth simultaneously, how many couples routinely use the bathroom at the same time? If one is showering and steaming up the room, who wants to put on makeup with the mirror fogged or get dressed? Most people I know have different schedules so the one with the earlier job/school start time or person who showers fastest showers first. I enjoy my me-time.

• Love 8

Morgantown, WV. How refreshing to have a young couple who doesn't want a ultra modern, ultra updated home. With that said, I did like the third house best. Even though it's not like the house I grew up in. 😉 Except maybe the driveway. Their dog was adorable.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Other than brushing teeth simultaneously, how many couples routinely use the bathroom at the same time? If one is showering and steaming up the room, who wants to put on makeup with the mirror fogged or get dressed? Most people I know have different schedules so the one with the earlier job/school start time or person who showers fastest showers first. I enjoy my me-time.

I have often wondered at that life style myself. You don't even need a separate sink to brush your teeth. 

I truly am not one of those people who criticize these young whippersnappers who complain if there isn't an indoor plumbing 😀 as I couldn't imagine living with less than two bathrooms as I want to keep guests out of my personal space. However I grew up in a home with one bathroom - two parents and two kids and everyone seemed to make it out the door washed with teeth brushed. 

For years I did hair and makeup sitting at a vanity in my bedroom anyway probably because that was how we did it when I was growing up. It was more comfortable anyway to sit in my room and certainly better for the makeup.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't understand this trend of devoting so much square footage to a bathroom. 

Yeah, I have mentioned that several times.  In no universe would I rob square footage from my living area for a bathroom.  I go in, do my business, and leave. I don't lounge there, entertain guests there, or host dances there.  A total waste of space in my world.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Yeah, I have mentioned that several times.  In no universe would I rob square footage from my living area for a bathroom.  I go in, do my business, and leave. I don't lounge there, entertain guests there, or host dances there.  A total waste of space in my world.

And if you live in a cold climate, a smaller bathroom holds in the warmth while showering & bathing; then you get out.  I think I'd prefer two 5'x8' bathrooms, one with a shower, the other with a tub/shower instead of one monster 8'x11' bathroom.  No need for any toilet closets, with walls and doors that take up space. 

• Love 7

I live alone, but even with another person in the house, I would prefer one bathroom sink.   I like the extra counter space.     I doubt that many people would actually be sharing a bathroom if they're routinely getting ready at the same time, I think one person would use the guest bath.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I live alone, but even with another person in the house, I would prefer one bathroom sink.   I like the extra counter space.     I doubt that many people would actually be sharing a bathroom if they're routinely getting ready at the same time, I think one person would use the guest bath.   

Not just extra counter space but extra storage space in the vanity. When I remodeled I went from two sinks to one sink because the extra sink literally just collected dust. 

I didn't give a rat's patootie about how it would affect resale value because I wanted to live in a house that was designed for how I functioned and not for some imaginary buyer years from now. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like the extra counter space.   

Don't get me started on pedestal sinks!  Even in a powder room I want storage for extra towels, soap & TP, and don't want to see the plumbing. Having a separate cabinet for storage takes up valuable floor space instead of just using the available space under the sink.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Morgantown I loved the first home. I know historical/older homes have issues sometimes. But all that history, charm and fine detail in that home. My kind of home.

I've been to Morgantown many times and had a friend that lived there, her parents both worked at WVU and they lived in town in old home that was similar to this one...I loved it. All the things that early 1920's homes had that don't exist in modern builds...original hardwood floors (gorgoeus), big windows with reading nooks, kitchen with breakfast nook, high ceilings and all rooms had old fashioned overhead fixtures. They had put in new kitchen appliances and had put an extension on the kitchen for a walk in pantry. 

I agree that the home they chose was probably the right choice for their needs...the only issue for them will be that driveway in the winter. Morgantown gets a fair amount of snow during the winter and that driveway will be a bitch to plow. They'll have to hire a plow service because even a snowblower on a steep incline/decline like that will be tough.

• Love 7

From Texas to Colorado episode...she's an oncologist and he's an online financial guy (or something to that effect)...she gets a job offer she can't refuse so they move to the Grand Junction area of Colorado. Two little kids. Top priority? Sufficient land for a horse/horses.

First off, this husband was awful. Wife was OK and seemed to be more practical in terms of what they needed vs a wish list. First home was lovely; large, lots of property for the kids to play on and not too much that needed to be replaced...no horses allowed. Second home was further out and was an older, smaller ranch...the kind of house the hubby prefers...lots of land and horses allowed. Needed work, too small but husband was convinced it would be great for them. Third house was huge, had a large front property but the back of the house backed up to a wildlife preserve that had a wire fence separating the home from the preserve. No backyard at all... the front of the property could be cleared for horses. They went with the third property...first up, putting air conditioning in upstairs. Next up will be clearing the front for horses.

So many problems with this property, not the least of which is the wildlife preserve that backs up directly to their home...with young children and a dog (and horses in the future) it could be problematic if mountain lions, wolves and other predatory animals are attracted to their property. They could easily get through that fence if motivated by food sources. 

The husband put having horses a priority over the kids needing a place to play. He never even mentioned any of the kids needs at all...Mom did and even had concern over the prospect of having predatory animals being "visitors". All in all, the views were grreat, plenty of living space but that was about it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, deirdra said:

Don't get me started on pedestal sinks!  Even in a powder room I want storage for extra towels, soap & TP, and don't want to see the plumbing. Having a separate cabinet for storage takes up valuable floor space instead of just using the available space under the sink.

I loathe pedestal sinks, or the other types that have no counter space either.      

Wildlife preserve in Grand Junction equals, all kinds of predators that will drop in to dine.    Cougar, bears, raccoons, skunks, feral dogs, coyotes,  and all kinds of other animals will really enjoy dropping by to say hi to the animals the house hunters have.  Living in bear country means no food left out, garbage safely away.       If you leave something edible in your car, it will be peeled open like a giant can opener was used on it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 9
On 8/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't understand this trend of devoting so much square footage to a bathroom.  I can actually see having two sinks, because that allows two people to utilize the space at the same time.  But those ones that are just big, with the business parts around the edge, and the open part in the middle is used only to pass through to get to another part of the bathroom--I'd rather have that space in another part of the house. 

Then again, I don't mind a cramped bathroom because I just use it for a bathroom, not an oasis. 

But how do get away from it all? Don’t you want hide from your family in the sunken tub? <sarcasm>

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Yes, those people who want open concept, and then turn right around in the next sentence and ask for a get away space.  Uh, those were called walls that divided spaces into separate rooms in "the old days".  Open concept isn't all it's cracked up to be for many people. 

• Love 8

I hated that lamp in the Chicago episode.

The OWN rerun in NC, with the house hunter who demands an entire  room for a tea room, including display areas for tea sets, and tea cups really is demanding.   She wants everything her way, and won't even let him have any storage, or a space for items he wants.  So they went with the new build, so she can turn the front room, right inside the door into her tea room.  This theme includes a chandelier with little teapots on it, and other frilly stuff.        

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 8/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, laredhead said:

Yes, those people who want open concept, and then turn right around in the next sentence and ask for a get away space.  Uh, those were called walls that divided spaces into separate rooms in "the old days".  Open concept isn't all it's cracked up to be for many people. 

I hate open concept, as I've said many times (I hate it in both living and working spaces), and I loved the recent couple that had 4 kids and were like "Wow, fuck this" re: the open concept home they were trying to move out of. I think the wife's exact words were "We want nothing to do with open concept ever again."

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Open concept is also a drawback when you are the hurricane shelter for 4 extra people and you are used to living by yourself with one cat.  The cat hasn't been seen in hours, the noise of the TV, and other electronic devices is disturbing, and everyone but the owner wants to be in the same room.  Um, glad to provide shelter, but next time, I plan to buy a house with 10 separate rooms with doors - lol.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I hate open concept,

Table for two, give walls and doors. I don't need to know the comings, goings, and activities of everyone on the premises 24/7.  Everyone will survive without constant supervision.

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Open concept is also a drawback when you are the hurricane shelter for 4 extra people and you are used to living by yourself with one cat.

Bless your heart for doing this. Hope they get to go home soon.

• Love 8

I thought the layout of the Dallas condo was an even bigger problem than the size of the bedrooms. The only way to get natural light in the kitchen and living area is to have at least one of the bedroom doors open (both if you want the full benefit of natural light). The HH is using one of the bedrooms as a home office, so it's not a huge deal to keep that door open, but I'd hate to have the door to my main bedroom open at all times and all its contents visible. Not to mention the cooking smells from the kitchen (which seemed to be less than ten feet away) getting absorbed into the bed linens.

It's like the owners originally built a studio, then realized how crazy the market is and that sellers can get away with anything, so they put an additional wall and two doors in and called it a two-bedroom.

• Love 3

I didn't think that the Dallas loft was terrible for this guy's lifestyle. 

Lofts were originally one large space and so not having a walled bedroom is actually a compromise so that his bed isn't actually in the living space. 

Many people live in studio apartments or have open lofts and don't have issues with cooking smells permeating their clothing. A good cooking vented hood generally solves the issue to the extent that anyone is actually frying in their kitchen. 

Even the layout made sense since he is sleeping in the bedrooms so he doesn't need a window. Maybe it's my NY background but generally in an apartment you only have windows at one end of a unit anyway. Many apartments have windows but they are just there to fulfill codes requiring a window for ventilation but there is no view and generally no natural light streaming out. 

• Love 2

Pittsburg, PA. I like these guys. They understand where each other is coming from in terms of style. And they acknowledge the age difference and how that plays into location. What's with Cam's breathy delivery? I like all the properties, don't think there's a bad choice. Let's see if they go with the 4 bedroom. Nope, it must've been the rooftop deck.

• Love 3

Pittsburgh: We also have those box type houses in Philadelphia mixed in with the old row homes (now called townhouses) and, sometimes I like them and other times I don’t. The house they picked was nice but House #2 was similar and built smack in the middle of the row homes. Those neighbors must have loved that construction. LOL!!!!!  Overall, the house they picked had the better deck but they lost a fourth bedroom they wanted. That might have been a deal breaker for me. I didn’t care for the yellow mustard couch but they are young so I guess it’s in. I also didn’t care for the dark cabinets but I did like the concrete floors which is so unlike me. LOL!!!!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, amarante said:

Many apartments have windows but they are just there to fulfill codes requiring a window for ventilation but there is no view and generally no natural light streaming out. 

My last apartment (NYC) had a view of an air shaft. Gorgeous! /s (I actually loved that place.) The kitchen was at the back of the apartment and the views and light there were better.

• Love 2

The Pittsburgh row houses were built for a "better" class of people than the row houses viewed in some of the earlier episodes.

These had the width of normal houses but just were either attached or built very close to each other as is true of many urban neighborhoods.

The same is true in Washington D.C. for example. There are the neighborhoods with very narrow row homes that were built for the poor and working classes originally. My friends bought their starter home in Adams Morgan when it was starting to gentrify and it was a narrow town house. But Washington also has extremely beautiful but attached town homes just like London and New York has elegant attached town houses.

• Love 2

Chicago. I agree with J'tia that having a renter is too much trouble. It sounds like they're having the kids share a room so Graeme can have an office. Why not pick #1, he can have that rental unit as his office and the kids can spread out. Something they'll want to do when they're older. Unless they plan to move again. Oh my, let's just spend money like there's no tomorrow.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I recognized J’Tia right away from Survivor (2014). Let’s just say she didn’t win. She seems to be doing well and still the same. LOL!!!! Her husband seems like a nice guy. I knew they would pick House #3 just because it’s not what she wanted. It needs some work and I’m sure with time & money it will beautiful. 

• Love 4

Chicago: That realtor was hot! 😛 I loved the courtyard in the house they picked. My first thought was “French Quarter” when I saw it. I hated when the wife mocked her husband for saying “whilst.” It’s a perfectly good word! 🙄

• Love 7

Chicago dad with the British accent: at first I felt that if I squinted quite a bit and caught him at a good angle he could possibly pass as Michael Fassbender's distant cousin (I have an inexplicable lust for MF), but then the foxy realtor showed up and it was like, STOP THE PRESSES! Wow, that man is fiiiiine! Wouldn't mind seeing him on some future Chicago eps.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

The modern box homes really stand out with all the old (restored & expensive) row homes. I can’t figure out if I don’t care for them because they stand out so much or if there were just row of them it might not bother me as much. In general, I don’t care for them and usually I can’t afford them. Maybe, I don’t meet the demographic. I’m 56. Perhaps I’m too old. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

So the Chicago couple got a $1M+ house with a $1,500-ish monthly payment? Tenants seem a cornerstone of his financial planning, so wasn't shocked with house #3. Plus, that block is really nice, and moaning aside, she'll have the great spa and closet she wants.

• Love 3

Some places the modern boxes, and older houses side by side is common.   I've noticed that on Good Bones, with very mixed types of houses in neighborhoods.  

The Chicago episode where the husband wants a multi family property, but wife doesn't I hope is for the storyline, because they really need separate houses.     First house was lovely, second house had no yard.    But, I love the primary bathroom.   

Third house, for $1.1 million, is a spectacular renovation, but no way the couple will settle for tiny bedrooms, and not big closets.        $3,000 a month in rental income, from a basement level walk out apartment, 2 bed 1 bath, and the coach house 1 bed 1 bath.    4 bed 2.5 bath in the main house.      They chose #  3 with the rental income, but a perfect location.   They are doing a reno to give them a bigger main bedroom, and closet/studio, and a great main bathroom before they move in.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Chicago: That realtor was hot! 😛 

Even J'tia noticed, calling him silver fox.

Thanks to whoever mentioned she had been on Survivor. I thought she looked familiar but that's the last place my brain would have looked for her.

• Love 5

My brain is a bit frazzled - was it the Pittsburg house that had the super modern looking house that looked like galvanized tin? 

I don't have anything against modern construction so long as it is well done but that house wasn't particularly well designed - at least in my opinion.

My friend and I discuss this quite a bit because we live in a part of Los Angeles where the land is quite valuable and the original houses were fairly modest homes so all of the homes sold are essentially tear downs - the only exceptions being Spanish Colonial homes because people really love those big old homes.

About a decade ago they started putting up those ultra modern homes and they haven't really aged well in terms of desirability - not to mention really clashing with the other homes in the area. Several years ago the trend shifted to what I call Leave It To Beaver style homes on steroid. Some are very elegant "modern farmhouse" in style. The interiors are very much in line with what an affluent family would like but - no shade - they are much more livable and comfortable than the starkly modern homes.

Again, the really well designed mid century modern homes are quite comfortable to live in as they took into account how people actually live in their homes. The very ultra modern stuff - not so much - at least in terms of the not very well designed spec homes. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Chicago dad with the British accent: at first I felt that if I squinted quite a bit and caught him at a good angle he could possibly pass as Michael Fassbender's distant cousin (I have an inexplicable lust for MF), but then the foxy realtor showed up and it was like, STOP THE PRESSES! Wow, that man is fiiiiine! Wouldn't mind seeing him on some future Chicago eps.

Yeah, he could be an American Kevin! 😄

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Even J'tia noticed, calling him silver fox.

Thanks to whoever mentioned she had been on Survivor. I thought she looked familiar but that's the last place my brain would have looked for her.

I haven’t watched Survivor in many years. Was she a villain or a good guy?

• Love 2

What was with the Pittsburgh realtors voice? Odd breathy, whisper delivery. The younger Pitt hunter needs a serious lesson on the definition of 'unique'. I liked the Chicago couple a lot. I wonder if J'tia is at Argonne? My husband said the Silver Fox realtor looks like he does shampoo commercials lol. 

• Love 2

Madrid, Spain. Nick, the original Silver Fox! Are they crazy with that budget? They're in a capital city and want 3 bed/2 bath for $750! I think 900 is a good deal.

Sydney, Australia. House #2, I don't think adding a kitchen island is a renovation. And I thought the bathrooms were fine. But then again, I don't have the means to blow1.4 mil on a house. They seem like a good couple. And they want to get a dog, hope it all goes well for them.

Can we pretend this is on the HH International thread?

Edited by Grizzly
Wrong thread
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, amarante said:

About a decade ago they started putting up those ultra modern homes and they haven't really aged well in terms of desirability - not to mention really clashing with the other homes in the area.

When those ultra modern houses first started springing up, I was taken with them (while acknowledging that they usually don't fit in with the adjacent houses).  But I always wonder how they're going to age in terms of desirability.  Like the PT Cruiser car--when it first came out I loved them, but just like a year later, I kind of hated them. 

I think the ultra modern ones haven't been around long enough for someone to think, "Did anyone like this even when it was new?"  Like a lot of houses built in the 1970s--they're ugly now and I just can't imagine people thinking they were fantastic looking even when they were built.  At least with the Craftsman houses that are springing up everywhere, they're cute.  Right now, anyway.

While I've about had it with the world these days and sometimes think I'm just kind of biding my time on the planet, I would kind of like to hang around long enough to see what happens to the ultra modern houses in the court of public opinion.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When those ultra modern houses first started springing up, I was taken with them (while acknowledging that they usually don't fit in with the adjacent houses).  But I always wonder how they're going to age in terms of desirability.  Like the PT Cruiser car--when it first came out I loved them, but just like a year later, I kind of hated them. 

I think the ultra modern ones haven't been around long enough for someone to think, "Did anyone like this even when it was new?"  Like a lot of houses built in the 1970s--they're ugly now and I just can't imagine people thinking they were fantastic looking even when they were built.  At least with the Craftsman houses that are springing up everywhere, they're cute.  Right now, anyway.

While I've about had it with the world these days and sometimes think I'm just kind of biding my time on the planet, I would kind of like to hang around long enough to see what happens to the ultra modern houses in the court of public opinion.

At least in the Los Angeles neighborhoods I am familiar with, they haven't aged all that well as the ones that are currently on the market have had to reduce prices versus ones that are more traditionally styled. 

I think the more traditional/modern farmhouse/Arts & Crafts will age well because they are the equivalent of the little black dress. A bit boring but it can be worn for years versus a polyester leisure suit in earth tones. I don't think anyone is ever going to revive Tuscan kitchens

There are obviously going to be exceptions which are designed by talented architects but as a whole a banal "traditional" home is going to age better than one of the ultra modern homes that were put up by a spec developer. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 5