Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Like when they balk over having only one bathroom, and it's attached to the bedroom, so people have to go through the bedroom to get to it.

I guess it all depends on how you were raised.  We had one bathroom, centrally located, for the whole family.  Everybody had a turn and there was no hogging of the space.  To this day I get in and out of the bathroom as quickly as possible.  That's why the huge palatial bathrooms seem to be such a waste of space to me.  What do they don in there, hold card parties or dances?'

There is no ensuite at my current home, either.  One downstairs bathroom, one upstairs. I have no issues with my friends entering my "space".  Everyone is healthy and I have no secrets!

• Love 5

7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Same for me, but I was basing my comment because I keep hearing people going on and on about various privacy issues (none of which would bother me).  Like when they balk over having only one bathroom, and it's attached to the bedroom, so people have to go through the bedroom to get to it.  I've had that arrangement before and it never bothered me, but I hear it mentioned by plenty of HHs. 

4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I guess it all depends on how you were raised.  We had one bathroom, centrally located, for the whole family.  Everybody had a turn and there was no hogging of the space.  To this day I get in and out of the bathroom as quickly as possible.  That's why the huge palatial bathrooms seem to be such a waste of space to me.  What do they don in there, hold card parties or dances?'

There is no ensuite at my current home, either.  One downstairs bathroom, one upstairs. I have no issues with my friends entering my "space".  Everyone is healthy and I have no secrets!

Yeah, I think this is a matter of what you’re used to and also of the homes in the area where one lives or grew up. Not having an ensuite to the master would be a deal breaker for me, but outside of older homes, it would be more unusual to find a house that didn’t have one in my area (or the area where I grew up) than the alternative. Even my grandparents house that was built 65 years ago has one.  I know that’s not the case everywhere, so, it’s all just a matter of experiences.

• Love 2

Do a lot of Americans grow up with "sit-down showers"?  I'd never heard anyone specifying "stand-up showers" (since we always stand up when taking showers) until HGTV brought US shows to Canada.  It is not old people who might have grown up with a wash tub in the middle of a farm kitchen, like John-Boy Walton, it is the ~25% of 20-somethings on the show who all rave about the "stand-up showers".  Personally I prefer the versatility of combination tub/showers since I can wash my hair then sit down for a soak while my conditioner works, then stand up again to rinse off any soap residue.  No grouty shower pans to scrub, just one smooth tub.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Same for me, but I was basing my comment because I keep hearing people going on and on about various privacy issues (none of which would bother me).  Like when they balk over having only one bathroom, and it's attached to the bedroom, so people have to go through the bedroom to get to it.  I've had that arrangement before and it never bothered me, but I hear it mentioned by plenty of HHs. 

If I were a houseguest, it would bother me to have to go through someone’s bedroom to get to the bathroom. Quite awkward!

2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Do a lot of Americans grow up with "sit-down showers"?  I'd never heard anyone specifying "stand-up showers" (since we always stand up when taking showers) until HGTV brought US shows to Canada.  It is not old people who might have grown up with a wash tub in the middle of a farm kitchen, like John-Boy Walton, it is the ~25% of 20-somethings on the show who all rave about the "stand-up showers".  Personally I prefer the versatility of combination tub/showers since I can wash my hair then sit down for a soak while my conditioner works, then stand up again to rinse off any soap residue.  No grouty shower pans to scrub, just one smooth tub.

Not that I’m aware of! BTW, what is a “sit-down shower”?🤨

• Love 3
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

I don't think there's such a thing as a "sit-down shower," people just incorrectly say "stand-up shower" when they mean "walk-in shower." I think both walk-in showers and bath-shower combos have their pros and cons. I never take soaks so a walk-in is more practical, but the one I have doesn't have a seat/ledge, so it's less convenient for shaving my legs than a shower/tub combo. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, deirdra said:

As others have posted, the term is being used incorrectly by idiot HH on the show. But that shouldn't be a surprise since I have heard them refer to a standard single bowl kitchen sink as a "farm house sink" as well.

There are actually sit down showers that are part of the walk in bath tubs that are designed for old or infirm people who like to take a bath but can't safely use a bath tub and can't get up from the ground. 

I don't take baths so I have what I think of as the ideal shower. I replaced the bath/shower combination with a large walk in shower - not curbless which is another style) that follows the foot print of the original tub. I have a large built in bench at one end and I also have a hand held shower close to the bench so that I have access to water when I am comfortably sitting on the bench. 

FWIW there are shower "ledges" you can install which are like little platforms to hold you feet. Or if you are constructing a new shower you can build in a little niche a bit above the floor to hold your feet. 

• Love 7

11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

If I were a houseguest, it would bother me to have to go through someone’s bedroom to get to the bathroom. Quite awkward!

Not that I’m aware of! BTW, what is a “sit-down shower”?🤨

I think LL was commenting that the opposite of a stand-up shower would be a sit-down shower. 

I think the problem with the only bathroom in the house being accessed through a bedroom is when there are overnight guests. I stayed with a friend in Manhattan on her living room pull out sofa and the bathroom was in her bedroom. Luckily I was young and my bladder was strong so I didn't have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night when she was sleeping. 

I grew up with one bathroom although we did have access to a toilet in the basement for emergencies :-). However I would never want to live without an ensuite anymore than I would want to live without a dishwasher or air conditioning which I also grew up without. :-) My grandmother grew up without indoor plumbing but she didn't begrudge anyone who thought indoor plumbing was a necessity either. 

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, amarante said:

I think the problem with the only bathroom in the house being accessed through a bedroom is when there are overnight guests.

I agree.  Since I live alone it would generally not bother me if I only had one bathroom and it was attached to my bedroom (I have one and a half, and neither is an en suite; taking a short walk down the hall doesn't bother me, either).  It definitely wouldn't bother me for dinner guests or other short-term visitors to have to walk through my bedroom to access it, but on the flip side I would fervently hope any overnight guests had excellent bladder control; I have enough trouble sleeping through the night, I do not need someone traipsing through my bedroom.

• Love 6

HH is probably the most popular thread so I thought I asked here. Does anyone know if there is a thread for Battle on the Beach? It aired last night I think. Just curious. Sorry, if I’m breaking any rules. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, Cetacean said:

I guess it all depends on how you were raised.  We had one bathroom, centrally located, for the whole family.

When I was married with two kids, we lived in a small older house with one bathroom. Now I live alone in a suburban townhouse with 2.5 bathrooms.  
According to my calculations, I now have 12X the number of toilets per capita. 

🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 6
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

HH is probably the most popular thread so I thought I asked here. Does anyone know if there is a thread for Battle on the Beach?

There wasn't one when you asked, but there is now:

For shows that will get a thread rather than a full forum, you don't need to make any official request of the Primetimer folks, you can just create one yourself.  Just search the forums to see if one already exists, and, if not, have at it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Agree about the tats….he sounded like he was from Boston. Also, I think he was on the Spectrum…probably Aspergers. I have a family member with Aspergers and he reminded me a lot of him. His mannerisms, the way he talked, his peculiarities like not having a drivers license, riding his bike to work in a snowstorm, privacy in the kitchen while cooks, etc…very Aspie like.

Ah! Maybe that’s it

I love tattoos so they did not bother me but I’m sure he is losing super straight or elderly patients because of them. Odd choice to have the hand & neck ones when you are in such a profession.  And I was curious as to why he did not drive. My mind went to “license revoked”. Hopefully that is not the case  

I can’t imagine living with someone I have to chauffeur around forever.  That’s gonna get old fast!! Especially if they have kids. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And I was curious as to why he did not drive. My mind went to “license revoked”. Hopefully that is not the case  

I can’t imagine living with someone I have to chauffeur around forever.  That’s gonna get old fast!! Especially if they have kids. 

I did wonder if his license was revoked.  I wouldn't mind it if the person had a physical or mental impairment, but otherwise, if the person is ok then not having a driver's license is a deal breaker. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I did wonder if his license was revoked.  I wouldn't mind it if the person had a physical or mental impairment, but otherwise, if the person is ok then not having a driver's license is a deal breaker. 

Or said person is responsible for his/her own transportation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Or said person is responsible for his/her own transportation.

But their not having a license would make it impossible for them to share the responsibility of chauffeuring the kids everywhere and what if an emergency should arise? What if the one parents who drove everywhere for everything certainly could not do it? I know my mind just goes to the worst scenario but it is always a possibility not to mention quite a burden. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, chediavolo said:

But their not having a license would make it impossible for them to share the responsibility of chauffeuring the kids everywhere and what if an emergency should arise? What if the one parents who drove everywhere for everything certainly could not do it? I know my mind just goes to the worst scenario but it is always a possibility not to mention quite a burden. 

There are tons of big city dwellers with no cars and thar rely on public transportation exclusively. It is a way of life, cabs are used when necessary.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

There are tons of big city dwellers with no cars and thar rely on public transportation exclusively. It is a way of life, cabs are used when necessary.

Except they weren’t in the city. That’s a whole Nother way of life. I don’t know I just wouldn’t want to be responsible for driving every where, every single time. But that’s just me. Good luck to them. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Except they weren’t in the city. That’s a whole Nother way of life. I don’t know I just wouldn’t want to be responsible for driving every where, every single time. But that’s just me. Good luck to them. 

Could be he never learned to drive in the first place. I've read that younger generations aren't as gung-ho about getting a license anymore. They'd rather use ride-share services.

• Love 2
On 7/11/2021 at 9:20 PM, deirdra said:

Ok, I just have to stand up (see what I did there?) for John-Boy Walton. The family had electricity and indoor plumbing and a lovely claw foot bathtub and not once did they put a wash tub in the middle of the kitchen. I get your point though.  

• LOL 4
On 7/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Why can't the kids boomerang at their dad's house? Just because mothers are female doesn't mean they must be the parent children live with.

Hey!  I am trying to get my stepdaughter to boomerang to her mother's house after high school since my husband and I are planning on building a new house and I do not want anymore adult children living with us.  (might sound selfish, but my daughter is grown and his lives with us full time and her mother lives nearby.  She can go live with her)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, NewGranny said:

Hey!  I am trying to get my stepdaughter to boomerang to her mother's house after high school since my husband and I are planning on building a new house and I do not want anymore adult children living with us.  (might sound selfish, but my daughter is grown and his lives with us full time and her mother lives nearby.  She can go live with her)

I kind of get it with the older son, but her younger one is 16. IMO she came across as finished with parenting. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Virginia: WTF is a “sexy kitchen”? Did she plan on using the island for more that food prep? 

I cringe whenever I hear the word “bling.”

She needs to tone down the sexy vibe with her 9 year old living at home.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cameron said:

She needs to tone down the sexy vibe with her 9 year old living at home.

Why? She's modeling appropriate, healthy sexual behaviour. Exactly what parents, and really all adults, should do.

• Love 1
(edited)

Greater L.A. area, Chantelle is a customer brand satisfaction manager for a software company, and she's 28. .   Chantelle just wants pretty, and her father is pointing out obvious bad features, and he's right.    I guess the woman doesn't figure that all of those items will add up to fix, and bad finishes can mean bad construction and maintenance.   Her budget is $425k to $475k, and dad's budget is $575k because he knows that L.A. townhouse and condos will go for $25k or more over asking.  Chantelle wants white marble counter tops, arches, etc.   

#1  has two small patios, but it's not gated, and right next to the sidewalks.    There's a nice view.  2 bed 2 bath condo/townhouse, with two stories.   about 1,000 sq. ft. $498k

#2 1300 sq. ft.   $509k, in Simi Valley.   Grounds are gated, beautifully landscaped and maintained.    Great kitchen, but not her demanded white cabinets, with marble counter tops.  Nice second floor balcony, but not her desired view. High ceilings, main bedroom and bath are big, and nicely updated.  and a sort of view from the main bedroom balcony.  

#3 cheaper condo.   2 bed 2 bath $416k, with four verbal offers on it already, in Westlake Village.   Looks nicely updated, with vinyl plank floor, a nice covered patio.  Popcorn ceiling.  Kitchen has tile counter tops.  Main bedroom, and bath are nice, except the shower should be changed for a tub/shower combo.    Nice walk-in for the main bedroom closet.   

She chooses #2 Simi Valley.     List was $509k, but cost her $560k   (Her counter tops are the exact granite I have, of course they aren't up to her standards.   I love mine.) 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why? She's modeling appropriate, healthy sexual behaviour. Exactly what parents, and really all adults, should do.

Not with her 9 year old living with her.  Could end up being a single mother to a second child.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Not with her 9 year old living with her.  Could end up being a single mother to a second child.

Single mothers have a right to sex lives just like anyone else and there is this thing called birth control. 

Simi Valley woman also had some type of business on the side, I forget what it was. At 28, she's been in the workforce 5+ years, living at home, so she likely had a large downpayment.  Her father's fixation with grout made me laugh.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 9

Miss Chantelle was quite the demanding HH, but her father was the one with the common sense.  I'm sure the parents were providing some of the $$ for that purchase.  I also wondered what a customer brand satisfaction manager is, and how much she gets paid for that?  For someone who had been living in a garage, albeit a very nice looking one, her demand list was extensive and impossible to meet.  All she wanted was "pretty".  As long as it was pretty she didn't care about security, broken light switches, grout lines on floors or counters, etc.  I think she's been watching too many Kardashian shows.  The one she chose was the best one, IMO, and had the most square footage.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Miss Chantelle was quite the demanding HH, but her father was the one with the common sense.  I'm sure the parents were providing some of the $$ for that purchase.  I also wondered what a customer brand satisfaction manager is, and how much she gets paid for that?  For someone who had been living in a garage, albeit a very nice looking one, her demand list was extensive and impossible to meet.  All she wanted was "pretty".  As long as it was pretty she didn't care about security, broken light switches, grout lines on floors or counters, etc.  I think she's been watching too many Kardashian shows.  The one she chose was the best one, IMO, and had the most square footage.   

Oh my gosh! What 28 year old with a questionable job qualifies for a $575,000 loan? There's has be a down payment to go with that.

Add on the condo fees, homeowners insurance, property tax and tell me how she is going to afford that.

I'm sure the producers directed the script for her and her dad. We know the homes are purchased before the show is filmed.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, snarts said:

Simi Valley woman also had some type of business on the side, I forget what it was.

Some sort of internet thing, which could be influencer, which could mean big money or zero money or anywhere in between.

6 hours ago, snarts said:

At 28, she's been in the workforce 5+ years, living at home, so she likely had a large downpayment.

The realtor said the mortgage on one of the places would be I think $2800/month.  Assuming she can pay that now, that's $30,000/year she hasn't had to spend, which is $150,000 over five years.

And I don't know if the $2800 was just the mortgage or whether it included taxes and insurance, but if it's just the mortgage, she's been able to pocket whatever she'll now have to pay in taxes and insurance, and even if the payment is PITI, she hasn't had to be paying HOA fees and utilities and non-restaurant food and everything else she hasn't had to pay for while living with her parents.  (I didn't get the impression her parents made her chip in for groceries, etc.)

Go figure--when you take away day-to-day living expenses, it frees up a lot of money for a nest egg.

• Love 4

Why wouldn’t someone who has been working full times for several years and nit paying rent by able to afford he condos she was looking at. Presumably she was able to save quite a bit for the down payment. 

I was surprised by how much mediocre condos cost in the outskirts of Los Angeles. I live in LA and I am not shocked by high prices but didn’t think those areas were that expensive since I wasn’t impressed with any of the choices. 

I didn’t mind her as she reminded me of my younger self when my very construction knowledgable father accompanied me when I bought my condo and he was also concerned with plumbing and security. 😂😂 In terms of her wish list 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ She didn’t demand them and wound up with a hime that seemed to be the best fit and didn’t have high end fixtures. 

On 7/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, jacksgirl said:

I kind of get it with the older son, but her younger one is 16. IMO she came across as finished with parenting. 

Right! I try not to judge, as I don’t know these people’s real situations, but with her budget, it seemed pretty obvious to me that she could’ve found a real 2 bedroom/2 full bath in Atlanta, rather than having her 16 year old sleep in her closet. Again, I don’t know know these people, but if my parent had moved to a new place when I was in high school, and that was my sleeping arrangement, it would’ve been a big clue to me that my parent wasn’t interested in me staying over very often.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The new one tonight is young couple moving out of their in-laws to their own place on Long Island.   I'm not sure if I can take the wife's voice for much longer.    

This episode from 4/29/21 which elicited a lot of reaction is on again tonight at 11PM Eastern time.😀 Edited to add -- don't miss it if you didn't catch it the first time!

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Right! I try not to judge, as I don’t know these people’s real situations, but with her budget, it seemed pretty obvious to me that she could’ve found a real 2 bedroom/2 full bath in Atlanta, rather than having her 16 year old sleep in her closet. Again, I don’t know know these people, but if my parent had moved to a new place when I was in high school, and that was my sleeping arrangement, it would’ve been a big clue to me that my parent wasn’t interested in me staying over very often.

What I wonder is if she'd been a dad would viewers have a different response? 

• Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

What I wonder is if she'd been a dad would viewers have a different response? 

If you switched the genders, and a recently divorced father bought a condo and put his 16 year old daughter’s bed in his closet, I could actually see the response being worse. Ultimately though, its just an unusual situation, and I don’t ever remember something like it on the show or in real life. I knew a lot of kids who had divorced parents growing up, but none who had a bed in their parent’s (either parent) closet. Just very strange, especially in this case, when it’s not a cost issue or even an inventory issue. I live in Atlanta (and have lived in Buckhead, which is where she ended up buying). A condo with multiple bedrooms is not rare. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

If you switched the genders, and a recently divorced father bought a condo and put his 16 year old daughter’s bed in his closet, I could actually see the response being worse. Ultimately though, its just an unusual situation, and I don’t ever remember something like it on the show or in real life. I knew a lot of kids who had divorced parents growing up, but none who had a bed in their parent’s (either parent) closet. Just very strange, especially in this case, when it’s not a cost issue or even an inventory issue. I live in Atlanta (and have lived in Buckhead, which is where she ended up buying). A condo with multiple bedrooms is not rare. 

Why did you switch the gender of the child? I also think that if a dad bought a one bedroom condo without even mentioning a bed for his son I don't think as many people would think it weird. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why did you switch the gender of the child? I also think that if a dad bought a one bedroom condo without even mentioning a bed for his son I don't think as many people would think it weird. 

Why not? We’re switching genders from the actual situation, and I think that situation is more comparable. However, I also think a dad putting his teenage son’s bed in his closet would get called out too. I know I would think that was shitty especially on a $500k(?) budget. Now, if *she* had not mentioned a bedroom for her kid at all in this particular episode, I probably wouldn’t have even remembered that she had kids, but she brought them up multiple times in the context of her search, and even suggested that she would have to change to the closet in the condo that she ended up buying.

• Love 5

DC:  I didn't like either of the Georgetown houses.  Lots of "character," but money pits.  The park across from the house they picked is very nice, so the dog should love it.  However, I had to laugh when the guy made it seem like it was so easy to find a parking space right in front of the house.  Yeah, maybe it's easy for him but good luck with visitors trying to park somewhere. 

• Love 6
On 7/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, Jess14 said:

Grrr. Deleted too much and lost the original quote. Re Minuyette (sp) having no dedicated bedroom for sons. If it had been a father buying a 1 bedroom condo with no space for teen children, I would still think he was done parenting. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Grrr. Deleted too much and lost the original quote. Re Minuyette (sp) having no dedicated bedroom for sons. If it had been a father buying a 1 bedroom condo with no space for teen children, I would still think he was done parenting. 

I agree.  Male or female parent; even if they don't have full custody, should WANT to have a reasonable space for their child to stay with them even if they are the non-custodial parent, IMO.

I know plenty of people who are divorced whose kids spend most of their time living with the other parent.  I don't know a single one who doesn't have a better place for their child(ren) to sleep than a Murphy bed in a closet.

• Love 7

The couple in Lexington.

The wife doesn't want kids, wants more dogs, wants what she wants, could care less what he wants.

Yuck.

They pick out the houses they want to see, frustrating the agent and then they finally let her show her one she found and of course that's the one they pick.

Have to hand it to the agent for putting up with them for however many months she had to spend with these 2 unlikeable characters.

• Love 3