Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

House Hunters

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, amarante said:

You don't have to come from extremely wealthy families to get help with down payments. 

Many people I know had help from parents who were just middle class type of people who didn't live beyond their means. Grandparents die and it's not unusual for there to be money bequeathed. Some parents will give kids a choice of funding a wedding or a down payment or parents are pretty sure that they will have money to leave their kids so they are going to give them that sum for a down instead of waiting until they die and inherit it.

You don't have to have millions or be in the top 1% to have assets you have to help your children with a down payment. 

Depends all too much on your race. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Watching party couple in Orange County, NY. This dipshit is a teacher? Explains a lot about the state of the country.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2021 at 3:00 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Depends all too much on your race. 

No, ethnic group. From my observation Italian-Americans lead the league in assisting adult children. Among middle and working class people that is.

Share this post


Link to post

Did the Orange County, NY guy say he worked in the city? That's a hike. I used to work with a woman who lived in Orange County and her commute was long - she worked remotely a few times a week to give herself a break. I think he said he was an electrician so I imagine he can work anywhere. So could she, as a teacher. I think she said she was a personal trainer on the side who wants to train clients at home. If that's true, she's going to need to build a client base where she is. NYC is full of trainers - no one needs to go 70 miles outside the city to be trained by her.

1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

No, ethnic group. From my observation Italian-Americans lead the league in assisting adult children. Among middle and working class people that is.

The point is, you have to have at least some generational wealth (not necessarily millions but some extra) in order to be able to do this and as a whole, Black people have been systematically denied the opportunity to build that wealth - that's what I think @Grrarrggh meant by "depends on your race." Even for those Black people who have been able to buy homes, those homes are often undervalued (see the post on the previous page about a Black woman who had her white friend pretend to be the owner of her home and when she did, her appraisal shot up. There are lots of stories about this). You have to have it in the first place to be able to decide what to do with it.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

No, ethnic group. From my observation Italian-Americans lead the league in assisting adult children. Among middle and working class people that is.

Ethnic group and race are two totally different things. Empress1's answer was what I was, sadly, talking out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Ethnic group and race are two totally different things. Empress1's answer was what I was, sadly, talking out.

The assumption that white people are all rolling in money is what I was talking about. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

The assumption that white people are all rolling in money is what I was talking about. 

And I was talking about the fact that compared to Black people, White people are 10000000% more likely to be "rolling in money", especially ancestral. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Grrarrggh said:

And I was talking about the fact that compared to Black people, White people are 10000000% more likely to be "rolling in money", especially ancestral. 

Not me or the people I grew up with in a tenement on a tenement block in Brooklyn but I have had black people assume I was wealthy because I have good grammar. Cost free.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Even for those Black people who have been able to buy homes, those homes are often undervalued

NPR recently did a very eye opening hour-long segment about this.  Blacks also pay more taxes on less income than Whites.  It was really shocking, an economist did a bunch of research and the tax laws.  Lots of hidden discrimination there as well.  But the appraisal "test" that was done by the Black homeowner really hits home.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

NPR recently did a very eye opening hour-long segment about this.  Blacks also pay more taxes on less income than Whites.  It was really shocking, an economist did a bunch of research and the tax laws.  Lots of hidden discrimination there as well.  But the appraisal "test" that was done by the Black homeowner really hits home.

Fewer deductions? Then I've been overpaying too.

Share this post


Link to post

Minn/St Paul. Krystal hit the nail on the head, fiance and realtor are having a bromance. I'm loving house #2. How am I able to own a dog without having a fenced yard? Or live without a kitchen island?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry that Minneapolis/St. Paul woman. Got on my nerves with is there anything in the house for me talk. I was hoping the realtor would say yes, there is a muzzle!

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I'm sorry that Minneapolis/St. Paul woman. Got on my nerves with is there anything in the house for me talk. I was hoping the realtor would say yes, there is a muzzle!

Actually, she didn't bother me.  It was the realtor that drove me crazy especially when he kept up with the phony smile of his.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Minn/St.Paul hunter (Krystal?) had great hair.  Maybe it's me, but I am getting tired of these buyers wanting everything in their first home. I live in a lovely home, and I appreciate it because I've lived in some crap holes when younger. And you know what,  I have great memories of those houses. Thought they'd pick the 2nd house, it was awesome, but I think location drove their decision. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Maybe it's me, but I am getting tired of these buyers wanting everything in their first home. I live in a lovely home, and I appreciate it because I've lived in some crap holes when younger. 

I feel the same way.  It is especially bad when they have a 16oz cup of coffee in one hand and small dog in the other arm while touring peoples' homes and then put the cup down on fine wooden furniture to check their phone.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Minn/St.Paul hunter (Krystal?) had great hair.  Maybe it's me, but I am getting tired of these buyers wanting everything in their first home. I live in a lovely home, and I appreciate it because I've lived in some crap holes when younger. And you know what,  I have great memories of those houses. Thought they'd pick the 2nd house, it was awesome, but I think location drove their decision. 

I think it's because for many of these buyers it isn't just their first home, it's going to be their only home. The way house prices and everything else is and has been rising while salaries haven't means this is the only house a lot of these young people may ever be able to afford. 

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2021 at 8:45 AM, Empress1 said:

I'm a little sad that Dominique didn't make a "house of ..." joke (those who have watched her show, Pose, know what I mean). I liked them - they really seemed to love each other and have fun together. They clearly knew each other really well.

I rewound Dominique dashing into the huge bathroom in the third house at least three times. That cracked me up. I also laughed when she was like "this is my side - wait, no, it's yours, you can be next to the toilet." The third house was nice but I agreed with the guy that it was a little sterile - it needed some color to warm it up. I also agreed with Dominique that it was too far. (I wondered if his kids were in NYC schools - he said two of them lived with him half the year.)

I watch this show sporadically and basically tolerate the people, but I loved Dominique!  I don't know her show or her, but she was just so sweet.  I didn't expect her to be satisfied with anything less than total glam, but she was actually very reasonable.  She just seemed to be a breath of fresh air and fun to be with.  Her boyfriend seemed nice, too, and I hope they are very happy in their new home.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Johann said:

I watch this show sporadically and basically tolerate the people, but I loved Dominique!  I don't know her show or her, but she was just so sweet.  I didn't expect her to be satisfied with anything less than total glam, but she was actually very reasonable.  She just seemed to be a breath of fresh air and fun to be with.  Her boyfriend seemed nice, too, and I hope they are very happy in their new home.

Dominque was a lot more down to earth than a lot of house hunters.  I really enjoyed her episode because she was reasonable.  Better than a 20-something wanting a huge house with all the bells and whistles and not wanting to have to do anything to fix it up.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Dominque was a lot more down to earth than a lot of house hunters.  I really enjoyed her episode because she was reasonable.  Better than a 20-something wanting a huge house with all the bells and whistles and not wanting to have to do anything to fix it up.  

Why does being a 20-something mean you can't want a nice house you don't have to work on?

Share this post


Link to post

Chicago. I would not want to share walls with this guy. He's too....excitable. Ok, loud. But I agree with him that the third place is too much work. Can't believe someone paid $1000 to live in that space. I think with getting the price down, they made the right choice.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Chicago couple: Nate’s voice had me hitting the cc and mute button. But they got the good location. Nice they had a tenant already, but him being gleeful about the dog running around and barking? No, Nate, now you’re a neighbor and a landlord that wants to keep your tenant.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't mind Nate just because he was against open concept kitchens. Go Nate!

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Edit:  Oops, wrong country!

 

Edited by pep4

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Johann said:

I watch this show sporadically and basically tolerate the people, but I loved Dominique!  I don't know her show or her, but she was just so sweet.  I didn't expect her to be satisfied with anything less than total glam, but she was actually very reasonable.  She just seemed to be a breath of fresh air and fun to be with.  Her boyfriend seemed nice, too, and I hope they are very happy in their new home.

Watch Pose if you ever get the chance. Dominique is fabulous in it. Her character Elektra isn’t always likeable, but she is always amazing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked Dominique too.      

So the Chicago couple looking at investment properties/multifamily, they were interesting.   $600k budget.   

The first place is two 2 bedroom/1 bath, totally redone, but they're whining about the location only bringing $1500 or $1600 a month rent.    I had to laugh when they both said it wasn't enough rent, but the husband said they should live in the slightly larger upstairs unit.   That would rent for $1600 now, and over time will be even more profitable, so they should live in the equally nice downstairs unit.  

#2-1st floor rents for 1800 with a tenant in place, and the second floor and attic would be their unit.  This one has 3 bedrooms, and a small office, nice kitchen.   With the sloping ceilings, the attic space isn't really useful .   At least the attic space is insulated, and finished.   It does need a lot of paint, but that's not that that bad.   Nice floors throughout.  

#3-A 2 flat, with an additional garden unit, so they could rent two units out, and live in one.   Unfortunately, the flooring is different in every room, and the closet in one room is different too.     The unit with barely any kitchen rents for $1800 a month,    The top floor unit needs some work, but it's livable.    What the husband calls water damage on the hardwoods looks like worn off finish, so get the top varnish sanded off, and poly the floors.      The third tiny unit rents for $1,000, so $2800 in rental income, and more if they fix the kitchens up a little, and re-poly the floors.   

I would take the third one, put a little into stock cabinets for the one kitchen, laminate counter tops in both kitchens, and rent them out after fixing the floors.    The couple, Nate and Anna picked, #2 with only one tenant.   

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The Chicago optician with all the ink on his body.  Wonder what his patients think about that.  Thought they were both over the top.

Wonder if he is a transplant to the area.  Sure doesn't sound like a native Chicagoan to me.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Johann said:

I watch this show sporadically and basically tolerate the people, but I loved Dominique!  I don't know her show or her, but she was just so sweet.  I didn't expect her to be satisfied with anything less than total glam, but she was actually very reasonable.  She just seemed to be a breath of fresh air and fun to be with.  Her boyfriend seemed nice, too, and I hope they are very happy in their new home.

 

7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Watch Pose if you ever get the chance. Dominique is fabulous in it. Her character Elektra isn’t always likeable, but she is always amazing!

Yes - definitely watch Pose. It just (like, last week) ended for good after its third season but the first two seasons are on Netflix. It's worth watching for Dominique but there are other great cast members too (Billy Porter won an Emmy for his performance).

3 hours ago, cameron said:

The Chicago optician with all the ink on his body.  Wonder what his patients think about that.  Thought they were both over the top.

Wonder if he is a transplant to the area.  Sure doesn't sound like a native Chicagoan to me.

He had a very distinctive voice (I didn't like it) but no Chicago accent - neither of them had them. I assumed they were transplants.

I think tattoos are pretty mainstream but there are places I don't think they look good, e.g. the neck and the back of the hands. That guy had both.

10 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why does being a 20-something mean you can't want a nice house you don't have to work on?

It doesn't if your budget allows you to afford such a house in the market you're shopping in. Often that's not the case with younger buyers, especially in big cities. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

 

Yes - definitely watch Pose. It just (like, last week) ended for good after its third season but the first two seasons are on Netflix. It's worth watching for Dominique but there are other great cast members too (Billy Porter won an Emmy for his performance).

He had a very distinctive voice (I didn't like it) but no Chicago accent - neither of them had them. I assumed they were transplants.

I think tattoos are pretty mainstream but there are places I don't think they look good, e.g. the neck and the back of the hands. That guy had both.

It doesn't if your budget allows you to afford such a house in the market you're shopping in. Often that's not the case with younger buyers, especially in big cities. 

Agree, that you see more and more tattoos; but normally not on someone in a visible professional occupation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Chicago guy said he was first generation Portuguese immigrant.  He was also the first in his family to own property. 

They chose the house with the best location, Logan Square > Humboldt Park, plus it was literally on the bike trail he uses to get to work.  Speaking of, there was a lot of talk about him biking to work in the Winter. I'd be more concerned in the Summer, who wants a sweaty optician all up their face?  Hoping he has a gym membership where he can shower.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, snarts said:

Chicago guy said he was first generation Portuguese immigrant.  He was also the first in his family to own property. 

They chose the house with the best location, Logan Square > Humboldt Park, plus it was literally on the bike trail he uses to get to work.  Speaking of, there was a lot of talk about him biking to work in the Winter. I'd be more concerned in the Summer, who wants a sweaty optician all up their face?  Hoping he has a gym membership where he can shower.

It might be first generation Portuguese but that wasn't a midwest accent or Chicago accent.  Don't know where he grew up.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Watch Pose if you ever get the chance. Dominique is fabulous in it. Her character Elektra isn’t always likeable, but she is always amazing!

What channel is it on?  I've never even heard of it.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Wonder if he is a transplant to the area.  Sure doesn't sound like a native Chicagoan to me.

He's no doubt from Massachusetts or one of the New England states.  

The ink at his neckline reminded me too much of the defendants I interviewed in jail/prison over a 25 yr professional career on the defense side of the criminal justice system😄

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, cameron said:

The Chicago optician with all the ink on his body.  Wonder what his patients think about that.  Thought they were both over the top.

If I walked into his office and saw all those tattoos on him, I'd turn around and walk out.  Also, his voice was annoying as hell.  I wouldn't want to live anywhere near them and I most certainly wouldn't want them as my landlord.   God forbid I should be late with the rent and have him yelling at me. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why does being a 20-something mean you can't want a nice house you don't have to work on?

I don't think it is based on the age of the homebuyer, but on their budget.  We seem to see a lot of first time purchasers on this show, most of them in younger age brackets; who want all the bells and whistles in their very first house but don't have the kind of money it takes to get every single amenity on their long list.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a house that needs no work and has everything and anything the buyer wants, but, then, they needs to be realistic as to what is affordable for them and not expect champagne on a beer budget.

For example: a dedicated guest room is not a necessity.  En suite baths are nice but also not a necessity.  Swimming pools, white kitchen cabinets, granite counter tops and a whole lot of other stuff is also more aspirational than required.  If the buyer cannot afford to purchase a move in ready house with a guest room in their preferred area; then they need to accept that and figure out what they can do.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, pdlinda said:

He's no doubt from Massachusetts or one of the New England states.  

The ink at his neckline reminded me too much of the defendants I interviewed in jail/prison over a 25 yr professional career on the defense side of the criminal justice system😄

There are a lot of Portuguese in Rhode Island.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, Johann said:

What channel is it on?  I've never even heard of it.

It’s on FX.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, Rootbeer said:

white kitchen cabinets

There are some things where I think, "just do that yourself." Having cabinets painted (I would not DIY that) is one. Buying new appliances is another. Whenever someone says they want new appliances, my first thought is "then buy new appliances."

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The OWN marathon of older episodes (2015) was interesting.   It's incredible how much prices have shot up in certain areas in the past six years.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

 It's incredible how much prices have shot up in certain areas in the past six years.  

How about the last ONE YEAR!!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

San Francisco. Newlyweds looking for first home. She wants a show stopper that spends all of the 1.5 mil they're approved for. I want to know exactly whose face she wants to rub in their success. And her being a social worker is not what's getting them 1.5. Surprised she went with that exterior.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn't understand why they were together.   They had such different goals about everything.   She just wants to impress people, and he wanted a comfortable home.  Since she's a social worker, and what ever he does for a living must pay pretty well to have a million dollar plus budget.       I almost turned it off, because I got sick of hearing about her family over and over.    

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

He said he's a program manager for a tech company, so yeah, he's the one making the $$$.  I couldn't stand her.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Impressed is about the last thing I'd be walking into that San Fran house. I'd think the owners were conned. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think she wanted to impress anyone she suckered into coming over. None of those houses was particularly impressive, but as we were reminded, it’s their first house in an extraordinarily high-priced market. So his attitude at the end was reasonable. She? Ms. Which Is More Impressive, Marble or Quartz? came off as an insufferable dumbass. Good luck!

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Charleston. I agree with the wife about having dedicated spaces. But in that first house when she was calling that dining room chandelier "farmhouse chic", I'm thinking NO farmhouse has ever had a light like that. Even though I did like it. #3 wasn't a bad option, amazing that he doesn't think of a pool as wasted space. But sorry hubby, you don't get anything you want.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations, Miss Indiana. Had a feeling she’d go for the shotgun. But yikes, the neighbor’s house had windows right on her backyard. Good thing there wasn’t some guy complaining about lack of privacy.😂

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Congratulations, Miss Indiana. Had a feeling she’d go for the shotgun. But yikes, the neighbor’s house had windows right on her backyard. Good thing there wasn’t some guy complaining about lack of privacy.😂

I would be scared out of my mind to have a "front door" in my bedroom. Wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Charleston couple.  All three of those homes weren't anywhere near downtown Charleston; Mt. Pleasant proper and the surrounding areas.  Never gone to walk downtown from there.  Should  have been a clue as soon as she said they wanted to keep them in the same school district. Public school system in downtown is really sad as to much of the state of South Carolina. 

Edited by cameron
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I would be scared out of my mind to have a "front door" in my bedroom. Wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. 

I live in a studio apartment. My front door is 8 feet from my bed with no wall in between. I have a deadbolt and a lock on the doorknob, plus the screen door locks. And my building is a security building. 

You can just invest in an intrusion alarm plus a home security system.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size