Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Without leave-no-trace straps, hanging hammocks can be very harmful to trees. Thin straps or ropes can cut into their bark or strip it off entirely, which leaves the trees vulnerable to insects, fungus, animals, and the drying effects of wind and sun.  Some places actually ban hanging hammocks from trees.  Get a hammock stand!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 5/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, amarante said:

What was even more ridiculous was that he was calling a regular single bowl sink a "farmhouse" sink. A farmhouse sink is one that has the "apron" front and it can actually be a single bowl, double bowl or even triple bowl.

The farmhouse sink is somewhat of an aesthetic choice but it also is a bit more functional because you can get closer to the basin of the sink which makes a difference in terms of comfort to some people. I have a *real* farmhouse sink which is also copper.

And a single bowl single is MUCH more functional than a double bowl sink because when I had the two bowls I would wind up splashing myself if I had to wash anything large since large items couldn't lay flat on the bottom.

Since the homes were being flipped, I have no idea why the flipper didn't install the more popular and functional single bowl sink but then - having finished a gut remodel of my home - I know exactly how a builder or flipper cheaped out - like not having lower cabinets be deep drawers since drawers are more expensive but way more functional. 

It depends on the sizes of the double bowls. I have a double bowl sink, but one side is huge and the other very small. I use the small side frequently for things like soaking utensils.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 5/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, Cetacean said:

HH is really scraping the bottom of the barrel when the deciding factor is a toilet bowl.   Otherwise a nice couple, no sniping.

I agree. Nice couple. But do you really want to buy property with someone you might marry? But I’m a crotchety GenXer, so what do I know?

17 hours ago, snarts said:

Not in LA.  Rents are crazy high, it's likely their mortgage/insurance/maintenance are less than what they would've paid to rent a comparable home. Not to mention paying moving costs twice.   

Plus, they knew where they wanted to live. They just had to make some trade-offs (square footage) to make it happen.

At first I was like, “who the heck is moving to Los Angeles unless they’re in the entertainment industry?” Then the wife saId she was from California and wanted to go back, so I understood. But I think I read too much into what people say. She mentioned wanted to be near friends again. She doesn’t have family in California anymore? Are they estranged?

But the couple was beautiful, and they seemed to like each other. Nice to see. 

I’m glad they picked the first house. Yes, they’ll outgrow it in a few years, but it’s what they can afford in the area where they want to live. They’ll be able to get something bigger soon. 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:12 AM, Crashcourse said:

The only thing that kept me interested in the LA episode was little Justin.  He was adorable.  The couple was ok but her eye-rolling was too much.  I figured they'd pick the small house.

His name is Justin? I thought the mom kept calling him Jetson. Maybe it’s the way she pronounced it or the crappy sound on my TV. I kept wondering if they’d named their kid after the cartoon The Jetsons. LOL. 

Edited by topanga
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, topanga said:

His name is Justin? I thought the mom kept calling him Jetson. Maybe it’s the way she pronounced it or the crappy sound on my TV. I kept wondering if they’d named their kid after the cartoon The Jetsons. LOL. 

I would have paid money too that it was/is Jetson. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I would have paid money too that it was/is Jetson. 

I thought she said Jetson too. I commented to my husband - who names their kid after a cartoon family?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Watching an episode that was so unmemorable I can’t remember anything except that the couple kept saying that if they didn’t spend up to their budget they would have the money for renovations.

This is often stated on the show ajd I don’t understand the economics. Where are they getting the extra money. Generally you are not saving that much of what you need for the down payment by spending $40,000 or even $100,000 less. What you can purchase is generally what the lender feels you can afford in terms of mortgage payments. But if I am approved for $600,000 and purchase a house for $500,000 that doesn’t give me spare money generally. 

I recognize there might be unusual circumstances where one has a huge amount of cash which can be used because one isn’t getting a high mortgage. But in the standard HH scenario, the buyers generally don’t have that kind of cash and are relying in the mortgage. It is as if they are assuming there is that amount of money for them to use whatever the price of the house versus the realty of the lender providing mortgage amount based on price of the house.  

So I don’t get it. Again there might be circumstances where people have a separate budget for renovations saved but the HH don’t seem to be the type who have $200,000 in the bank and so if there mortgage payments are lower, they will then dip into their assets to find renovations. 

I realize there are HELOC. Ur these are taken out after one has lived in a home for awhile and built equity. And there are construction loans but the HH scenario isn’t that. It is as if magically if they spend $200,000 instead of $225,000 they will have an extra $25,000 immediately available. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, amarante said:

Closed captions said his name was Jedson 

Closed captioning isn’t always correct. I kept hearing “Jetson,” but it could have been “Jedson.” Definitely wasn’t “Justin.”

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, Cetacean said:

And does he realize that the shape of the toilet does not change the amount of water?  So one is not "bigger" than the other, just a different shape.  Moron.

Men feel the difference,  standing or sitting,  the elongated and higher toilet bowls are a big plus to men.  Mr Pine wouldn't joke about comfort. 😹

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, amarante said:

Watching an episode that was so unmemorable I can’t remember anything except that the couple kept saying that if they didn’t spend up to their budget they would have the money for renovations.

This is often stated on the show ajd I don’t understand the economics. Where are they getting the extra money. Generally you are not saving that much of what you need for the down payment by spending $40,000 or even $100,000 less. What you can purchase is generally what the lender feels you can afford in terms of mortgage payments. But if I am approved for $600,000 and purchase a house for $500,000 that doesn’t give me spare money generally. 

I recognize there might be unusual circumstances where one has a huge amount of cash which can be used because one isn’t getting a high mortgage. But in the standard HH scenario, the buyers generally don’t have that kind of cash and are relying in the mortgage. It is as if they are assuming there is that amount of money for them to use whatever the price of the house versus the realty of the lender providing mortgage amount based on price of the house.  

So I don’t get it. Again there might be circumstances where people have a separate budget for renovations saved but the HH don’t seem to be the type who have $200,000 in the bank and so if there mortgage payments are lower, they will then dip into their assets to find renovations. 

I realize there are HELOC. Ur these are taken out after one has lived in a home for awhile and built equity. And there are construction loans but the HH scenario isn’t that. It is as if magically if they spend $200,000 instead of $225,000 they will have an extra $25,000 immediately available. 

I have very often wondered about this.

You're getting a loan based on appraised value.  Anything more, including the price comes out of the buyer's pocket.   

A big thing in the 🔥🥵 East of Seattle market, is a house may sell for $100,000.00 +++ over appraisal value, and the winning buyer has to make up the difference in basically cash.  No loan over appraisal value.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Closed captioning isn’t always correct. I kept hearing “Jetson,” but it could have been “Jedson.” Definitely wasn’t “Justin.”

I kept thinking it was Jenson.

• LOL 1
(edited)

The Dallas condo hunter today is an interior designer.   She wants a luxury condo, to build equity.   She's approved for $300k, so she's going to shop at $175k to $210k.   How refreshing to find a condo hunter who is sensible.   But as her realtor tells her, don't over improve for the neighborhood, and for resale.   

#1 is very modern, private parking, HOA of $319 a month, in Uptown, $192k.    There's a laundry closet, that will fit a full size washer/dryer.  The buyer wants to redo the kitchen, and bath, but realtor says don't spend over $10k.  No amenities, except the private parking.   I'm guessing that includes outside maintenance, and grounds, plus elevators, etc. 

#2 HOA $491, it's in Turtle Creek.   $225,000, lovely lobby and entrance, with lots of amenities. concierge 24/7, underground parking, pool and spa, grills, gym.    The unit is on the top floor, 1 bed, 1 bath, real hardwoods, wood burning fireplace.   The hunter hates crown molding.   No balcony, just a Juliet balcony.    Kitchen is nice, but she hates the blonde color wood.   lovely bathroom. giant closet.  

#3 fixer condo, not close to downtown, in NE Dallas.  $175k $275 HOA.   3 bed / 2 1/2 bath, with an outdoor space.  2 bedrooms/1 bath on first floor; 2nd floor is the living/dining/kitchen.   Second floor is the main bedroom/bath, and a smaller closet.  The 30" wide and long shower is awful.  Realtor says not to over improve the property, so the $40k or $50k the home buyer wants to do is way over the resale.    (My opinion, enlarge the main bedroom closet, redo the bathroom, but not marble, new kitchen counters quartz, no waterfall edges, and reface the cabinets.   Change out the stairs carpet, and maybe paint everything.  

She picks #1 affordable, in the great location.   Her kitchen redo is very trendy, and about her budget of $10k.    That unit will have great resale.  

I bet Oracle (the realtor, I love that name) knew that her friend and client wanted to fix up, and sell at a profit, and do that with the next condo.    However, that means not over improving for the neighborhood, or you'll never sell, and get your profit out of the condo, when she sells in a couple of years.     

My guess is Oracle, and the home buyer both were on there to promote their businesses.   

(I've noticed the closed captioning seems to be deteriorating.  I wonder if it's all speech into text, and done by computer?) 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

Dallas. It's admirable that the luxury interior designer doesn't want to spend her full allowance. Weird that Oracle was so focused on whether Alana would make back her renovation money.

• Love 2

Dallas HH claimed to do high end residential interiors.

I call bogus on the renovation costing $10,000 unless she used every free or extremely discounted favor she was owed because she was in the business. The renovation necessary to bring it to the level she was doing would be closer to $30,000 if not more.

This was a case where I thought all of the choices were pretty bad. Perhaps I am prejudiced but as a single woman there is nothing that beats the safety and convenience of having a doorman AND underground parking. I live in that kind of building and there has never been any robbery or assault in my building and all of my packages/deliveries arrive and are kept safe until I retrieve them - not an insignificant thing in an age when most people get multiple packages delivered to the point where many offices will not allow personal packages delivered to your work place. That used to be something one could do years ago when people got very few packages. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Since she's an interior designer, I bet the Dallas buyer gets at least 10% off, designer discount.   and there are ways to get lower prices on appliances (you buy at a store that buys entire semi-loads at a time).    You can also get discount, clearance tile in the amount that she'll need.   Some of the standard subway tiles come in various patterns and sizes, and if you get bigger or longer tile the installation is cheaper.   I'm sure the tradespeople did their work at cost, in return for future referrals, and being hired on future jobs.       I bet the kitchen cabinets were wood, but either clearance, or stock.    I know someone who bought an entire kitchen from a big box store, when the manufacturer stopped offering some of the cabinets, so the buyer just had to fill in a few cabinets to make the kitchen the same.     That wasn't a big kitchen to redo, so maybe she did get it done for $10,000.    

I think the house hunt promoted her designer's business, and her design skills, and the realtor did the same.   Very smart move for both of them.     I think the hunter bought a very nice condo, especially after she remodels a little.   

The second, penthouse at Turtle Creek was already at the top of the budget, so changing anything wouldn't lead to a better resale price.   

The third one was nothing that would ever have good resale, to me.   I didn't like how dark it was,  I think it needed a whole lot of cosmetic, and other work.    I didn't like the location either.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the house hunt promoted her designer's business, and her design skills, and the realtor did the same.   

Good call. Every time the realtor mentioned over improving and other trade tips, she became more marketable.

• Love 5

Single woman, San Francisco to Sonoma: I’m glad she went with the Townhouse, but I feel like both the buyer and her friend were just parroting every cliche they’ve seen on other shows. The kitchen cabinets need painted, she likes the double vanity, you never get everything you want in your first house, blah blah blah.

And the buyer complained that her friend and the realtor were trying to convince her things could be changed...but what if she just wanted to move right in? Then 10 minutes later she’s going to rip up the very cute and serviceable kitchen of the place she bought.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/18/2021 at 11:12 PM, edie3 said:

Did the buyer in Dallas design luxury high rise interiors? I missed it.

I wished she talked about it more. She seemed like she just didn’t want to talk about it. LOL!!!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

So what's the deal with kitchen cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling?  Do people actually want them like that, or are they cheaper and people just accept them?  Every kitchen I've ever had had cabinets that go to the ceiling, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

So what's the deal with kitchen cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling?  Do people actually want them like that, or are they cheaper and people just accept them?  Every kitchen I've ever had had cabinets that go to the ceiling, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Cabinets that go to the ceiling are more expensive and considered to be more of an upscale look. They are also relatively new in terms of kitchen design. The standard older kitchen would have soffits with the shorter cabinets or sometimes a gap. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

In my experience (and a quick internet search bore this out), it's the opposite - cabinets to the ceiling used to be the norm, and it's in the last several decades that the open space became a trend.

My 1938 house - very much a middle class home when built, not at all upscale - has the original kitchen cabinets, and they go all the way to the ceiling.  That was typical for the neighborhood.  Same with my parents' house, built in the early '60s.  I don't remember seeing a kitchen with a gap between cabinets and ceiling until the '80s in a cheap apartment.  I thought it was ugly, but after I saw the same in nicer kitchens I realized it was just an ugly kitchen, period (I still prefer cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, but I don't automatically hate the others).

• Love 1
(edited)

Are we talking about cabinets with a space or about extra long cabinets thst have no gap. 

Older homes have completely different types of kitchen storage as they had cupboards that were generally built on site and they did typically go to the ceiling just as any other built in did in an older home. My childhood home was built pre WW II and had a cupboard that ran floor to ceiling. 

The trend towards the "to the ceiling" cabinets in modern kitchens is emulating the high end kitchens like Smallbones which are inspired by the old kitchens with cupboards - ironically everything comes around again,

At some point kitchens began being built with cabinets and those were fabricated off site and installed. There have been some variations in what. Is trendy including ones with gaps, soffits and the goofy ones in which they are different heights. But if you are currently building or remodeling, the longer cabinets that go to the ceiling will cost more money because they aren’t the standard height. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 1

I had to laugh when the Sonoma house hunter wanted turnkey, and then said she will have to redo the kitchen.   By the way, refacing, and maybe changing the countertops will be a lot cheaper, and kitchen will look totally new, whatever style the house hunter wants, and save a bundle.   It also means instead of a week or two with no kitchen, the kitchen could be totally redone in two or three days.        Changing the counter tops, and adding a back splash would be two days at the most.    

I suspect a lot of people on this show that claim they're going to do projects someday, never get the money and time to do them.   

I liked the townhouse in Sonoma.    It was the best choice, especially for a first time homebuyer.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Dallas: Since there was no after shot of the renovations (in progress), I don’t see how her design business could be boosted. I cracked up over Oracle’s last outfit with the ginormous denim bow at her neck. 😆

• Love 4

I just saw the Sonoma show and the issue with the kitchen in the townhouse has got to be fake. While the kitchen wasn't the most high end in the world, it was essentially innocuous - Shaker doors in a medium wood stain. In the world of awful kitchens, it wasn't faux Tuscan or oak with white formica "trim" 

FWIW, refacing or even painting is surprisingly expensive. You can paint cheaply but it is a temporary fix and it will start chipping and cracking pretty soon. It is not at all like painting a wall.

The bathrooms seemed clean and functional. Question is whether the HH wants to spend $25,000 for a bathroom remodel for a bathroom that is in good shape and basically innocuous. You can do some relatively inexpensive cosmetic fixes for a bathroom - change faucets; paint walls - even change shower door if it is one of those builder grade frosted glass things. But a true remodel of a bathroom is probably the most expensive you can do on a square foot basis because it is so labor intensive and the labor is very skilled - electricians; plumbers and even good tile setters - and everything needs to be inspected and done to Code.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, amarante said:

The bathrooms seemed clean and functional. Question is whether the HH wants to spend $25,000 for a bathroom remodel for a bathroom that is in good shape and basically innocuous. 

Unfortunately too many HGTV programmes have convinced people that anything not brand new is either about to drop straight off the house with decrepitude or will drive them insane by not being white/grey and matching the kitchen. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Dallas: Since there was no after shot of the renovations (in progress), I don’t see how her design business could be boosted. I cracked up over Oracle’s last outfit with the ginormous denim bow at her neck. 😆

I think that was why the Dallas designer kept talking about what she would change in each option, and then showed the sketch of what her completed kitchen would look like.    However, I agree, even with discounts, buying clearance, and getting a lot of donated labor from vendors she deals with a lot, that wasn't a $10,000 kitchen remodel.   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

NJ. Female cousins. They went with the best option. But I didn't see much wrong with that bathroom.

I felt the marble was a little Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous but I think I saw they covered it with white tiles, like the ones people use on kitchen counters where you have to be careful your drinking glass isn’t perched on the grout? Given the choice I’d stick with the green.

And I hate when someone refers to decorating as their “own personal touches.” Whose personal touches would you use otherwise?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

And I hate when someone refers to decorating as their “own personal touches.” Whose personal touches would you use otherwise?

What I really hate is when people say they want to make it unique and put on their own personal touches only to end up with a grey/white open concept shaker cabinet house. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
On 5/20/2021 at 12:49 AM, Bastet said:

I don't remember seeing a kitchen with a gap between cabinets and ceiling until the '80s in a cheap apartment.  I thought it was ugly, but after I saw the same in nicer kitchens I realized it was just an ugly kitchen, period (I still prefer cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, but I don't automatically hate the others).

I don't know that I hate the others, but they generally don't read as "intentional" to me.  Maybe if they were designed just so, they might look like a choice, but more often it looks kind of random, with the homeowner either leaving that space empty or finding something to put there, like a plant.  In addition to all the dust.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, amarante said:

Are we talking about cabinets with a space or about extra long cabinets thst have no gap. 

Older homes have completely different types of kitchen storage as they had cupboards that were generally built on site and they did typically go to the ceiling just as any other built in did in an older home. My childhood home was built pre WW II and had a cupboard that ran floor to ceiling. 

The trend towards the "to the ceiling" cabinets in modern kitchens is emulating the high end kitchens like Smallbones which are inspired by the old kitchens with cupboards - ironically everything comes around again,

At some point kitchens began being built with cabinets and those were fabricated off site and installed. There have been some variations in what. Is trendy including ones with gaps, soffits and the goofy ones in which they are different heights. But if you are currently building or remodeling, the longer cabinets that go to the ceiling will cost more money because they aren’t the standard height. 

I customer designed my kitchen to have the cabinets being different heights and different depths.  It came out great.  Much preferred it to cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling or have the same amount of space above them, and I have had all three styles.  To each his own.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, cameron said:

I customer designed my kitchen to have the cabinets being different heights and different depths.  It came out great.  Much preferred it to cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling or have the same amount of space above them, and I have had all three styles.  To each his own.

Yours sound lovely.

We've always had a soffit above the cabinets in the three homes we've owned. In our present kitchen the cabinets were custom built on site below the soffit, but the soffit is "hollow" and the top shelf in each cabinet is "open" to the ceiling so tall items fit in there easily. I just need to use a stool to reach whatever is in the back of those shelves. 😎 The cabinets are oak with a walnut stain and I love them as much as I did in 1987... our breakfast room table, commode, and ice box that we already had are oak antiques.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Yours sound lovely.

We've always had a soffit above the cabinets in the three homes we've owned. In our present kitchen the cabinets were custom built on site below the soffit, but the soffit is "hollow" and the top shelf in each cabinet is "open" to the ceiling so tall items fit in there easily. I just need to use a stool to reach whatever is in the back of those shelves. 😎 The cabinets are oak with a walnut stain and I love them as much as I did in 1987... our breakfast room table, commode, and ice box that we already had are oak antiques.

Same here, in this home I keep a folding a small ladder in the hall closet to reach the top glass front cabinet.  Have very tall ceilings and previous owner had cabinets made that go to the ceiling.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Grizzly said:

NJ. Female cousins. They went with the best option. But I didn't see much wrong with that bathroom.

The bathroom situation accepted, I couldn't understand the value of co-owning a single-family house when, in the event one of the cousins gets married and/or (for whatever reason) wants to move (job or otherwise) and the remaining cousin is not in a financial position to pay the other for her half of the house in cash, then what happens?  

Maybe someone more savvy in real estate transactions than I am can enlighten me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I couldn't understand the value of co-owning a single-family house when, in the event one of the cousins gets married and/or (for whatever reason) wants to move (job or otherwise) and the remaining cousin is not in a financial position to pay the other for her half of the house in cash, then what happens?  

I was thinking the same. I'm sure there must a be a town in their county or not too far away where they could purchase a legitimate two-family home. Then, if one moves out, the remaining cousin could rent out the empty unit. In a way buying with a relative could be even worse than buying with a friend or significant  other. Imagine the family drama that could ensue if one wants or need out! As for the bathroom, the marble (?) was ugly but shouldn't the interior designer been able to minimize that with design choices?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I was thinking the same. I'm sure there must a be a town in their county or not too far away where they could purchase a legitimate two-family home. Then, if one moves out, the remaining cousin could rent out the empty unit. In a way buying with a relative could be even worse than buying with a friend or significant  other. Imagine the family drama that could ensue if one wants or need out! As for the bathroom, the marble (?) was ugly but shouldn't the interior designer been able to minimize that with design choices?

From what I know of that area (I moved to AZ from CT via NY 30 yrs ago but have family back there) the cost of a 2-family house is ASTRONOMICAL so I'm not sure that would have been possible for the cousins to do. 

However, I was wondering why the 4 parents (or 2 of the parents) wouldn't have purchased that home as an investment (obviously part of their estate) and rented the home to the cousins while the cousins were investing their $$$ in whatever a professional advised.  That way if one of the cousins moved, the remaining cousin could look for a roommate and still keep living in the house without the pressure of selling.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today's OWN rerun theme seems to be people who I'm very glad I will never meet in real life. 

The Austin couple are interesting, she works in public health, and wellness, and teaches yoga  and he designs marching band formations.   She's very worried about people seeing her dirty dishes when they walk into the open concept kitchen (if she puts stuff in the deep sink, no one will see it). .   Also, they have the cat boxes and cat tree in the garage.    Sounds like a recipe for disaster, between the heat in Austin, and if they use the garage for cars.    He's very worried about neighbors seeing them.   

People moving from Denver to Atlanta.   He wants room for horses.  (Note to narrator, they call them Polo Ponies, not Polo Horses).  The husband plays polo. He wants a huge plantation style (no, I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, guess who I really dislike?)  with columns.     They want a huge house, for the couple, and one kid.   If he can't find a place with a barn, and lots of room, he'll board at the polo club.   If they really want room for horses, then look in the horsey areas, outside the city, with barns, and some acreage.   Of course, with their budget they're not going to get acreage, stables,  horse ready, and fancy enough for both of them.  If he didn't have to support a bunch of horses, and polo club costs, they could afford the house they demand.  The third house is rural, but there are actual cars going by on the road.      And kitchen isn't what the wife wants.  She wants to gut a perfectly nice kitchen. 

So they settle for #1 in spite of a death trap of a back yard for their kid. 

Boston area shoppers, he wants a Maker's Room (that's what a workshop is called now apparently).   The first 2 condo house has a full basement, but doesn't the upper condo have access too?  No one mentions the water across the basement floor either, or that the laundry is down there, and the machines will have to be on pallets. 2 bed 1 bath, 800 sq. ft.  Very tiny. 

House #2, single family, total fixer, hideous paint, bad kitchen, low ceilings, 1100 sq. ft.  Needs a lot of renovation. 

House #3 Colonial in Hyde Park, it's a condo first floor is the potential buy, 2 bed, 2 bath, biggest place so far, beautiful hardwoods, and kitchen.   in unit laundry for stacking washer/dryer.   2 baths.  No basement or bonus space for the husband's hobbies.  It's only a two unit condo, that can be a problem.    Too far out of town, and the "Wah-ter" she wants.  They buy  #2 the total remodel. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

The scenario of the cousins buying a home together made more sense to me than some of the unmarried people who do it.

At least based on the relationships depicted on the show, that is one very close family and they already had experience with buying a house together since the brothers had bought a two family house together. Granted a two family house isn't a roommate situation but it is still a single home in terms of ownership rights so if one party wants to get out of the home, it needs to be dealt with. 

I imagine that when one of the women gets married, it wouldn't be a divisive issue. Maybe they sell - maybe the remaining one gets a roommate - maybe situation has changed so that one buys the other out. But I don't think it would be as difficult as it could be when a couple breaks up and one or both want to make it difficult for the other one.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, amarante said:

I imagine that when one of the women gets married, it wouldn't be a divisive issue. Maybe they sell - maybe the remaining one gets a roommate - maybe situation has changed so that one buys the other out. But I don't think it would be as difficult as it could be when a couple breaks up and one or both want to make it difficult for the other one.

I think you make very valid points that I agree gives this particular family a great chance of success with the house purchase!

• Love 1

Buying a house together is a good way for both to build equity instead of paying rent to landlords when neither can afford to buy a house on their own, especially if you have pets or one of you travels a lot for work. And the fixed fees on utilities are shared.  But it is best to have the exit strategy agreed to before the purchase.

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't like the house the Lake Geneva couple picked.   The kitchen was very strangely arranged, and not big, and the rooms weren't that big.     The kitchen was fine if you do take out a lot, but otherwise not enough storage, and the dining space was too narrow.

The biggest issue to me is the land next door that the University owns.  Today's empty lot is probably not going to be empty forever.    The university could sell it, or build something on the land that you wouldn't want to live next to.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5