Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The Long Beach, NY, one--is that episode actually a Beach Hunters or something?  Isn't there a beach show where they name all the houses they look at, and the realtor doesn't walk through the house with them?  My online guide says it's from 2021, but the copyright thing at the end of the episode said 2019.  Are they recycling old episodes of another series as new episodes of this one? Like the Hawaii one upthread?

I don't watch HH as often as I watch HHI, but I did notice that this episode felt different from the usual somehow. That would explain it. I wonder  when (or if) the producers will be able to make new episodes at the same schedule as before.

• Love 1

I was so excited to see Long Beach!  We had a summer home (bungalow) there from when I was a child.  In fact I bought a permanent home there right after I got married.  This was 1974 and the whole area was oppressed.  We were living there and all of our families and my husband's job was in Brooklyn.  I found myself all alone a lot.  Most stores were boarded up.  It was very depressing.  Eventually we sold the house and moved back to Brooklyn and then probably a year or so later everything picked up and now everything is ridiculously expensive.  Our house was just 5 blocks from the house they chose.

In the view from the roof I can see the church my oldest son was baptized in.  Beech St was one of the main streets through the town.

As far as Sunset Bay I never heard of it.  I think it was one of the cutesy names they pick for houses on Beach Hunters.  I liked the house on the bay the most too.

I hope they're prepared for sand in the house day and night ..that's the one good memory I have of Long Beach.

• Love 3

I found the original Long Beach HH episode. With a budget of over 1 million I knew it wasn't Beach Front Bargain Hunt, so looked at Beach Hunters with no luck. Boy howdy did they zip through the name of the real estate agent in a second. That's a key to finding homes. I had to pause it on her name. Her website was no help  she's got one where you have to sign in to get any information. But, the combination of her name, Long Island, Val and Tyler got me to an episode of Island Life which originally aired 2/24/2018. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Anybody watch the HH with the recently divorced Dad of five looking for a place in Carlsbad, CA? He owned 17 cars and was looking for place with a lot of space to park them all...ends up buying a rundown former Fire Station House that went to auction. Thoughts?

This is yet another reminder: Locations/Addresses to the homes featured on the show are NOT to be posted. This involves privacy issues, so PLEASE remember this rule going forward.

Further posting behavior may result in warnings, so let's be careful.

Thank you.

Dallas. I liked this couple. Geneo didn't last in the NFL long but it sounds like he has a backup career. I'm surprised they picked the chateau. Interesting sleeping arrangements but if it works for them. Brave for sharing that with the world.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Dallas. I liked this couple. Geneo didn't last in the NFL long but it sounds like he has a backup career. I'm surprised they picked the chateau. Interesting sleeping arrangements but if it works for them. Brave for sharing that with the world.

Separate bedrooms have always been around among those who could afford it.

And many middle class married couples wind up sleeping in separate bedrooms - generally because of the husband snoring. 

Some wealthy people have homes with separate bathrooms and of course separate closets.

But this couple were indeed interesting that they were so upfront about having separate but equal bedrooms rather than just having an adjacent space that is used for sleeping. And I say why not - if one's sexual partner is impossible to actually sleep with then why not make the alternative space as comfortable as possible. 

• Love 10
On 1/27/2021 at 11:34 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Anybody watch the HH with the recently divorced Dad of five looking for a place in Carlsbad, CA? He owned 17 cars and was looking for place with a lot of space to park them all...ends up buying a rundown former Fire Station House that went to auction. Thoughts?

He sold it after less than a year; so I think he never intended to live there long term.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, NYGirl said:

I was so excited to see Long Beach!  We had a summer home (bungalow) there from when I was a child.  In fact I bought a permanent home there right after I got married.  This was 1974 and the whole area was oppressed.  We were living there and all of our families and my husband's job was in Brooklyn.  I found myself all alone a lot.  Most stores were boarded up.  It was very depressing.  Eventually we sold the house and moved back to Brooklyn and then probably a year or so later everything picked up and now everything is ridiculously expensive.  Our house was just 5 blocks from the house they chose.

In the view from the roof I can see the church my oldest son was baptized in.  Beech St was one of the main streets through the town.

As far as Sunset Bay I never heard of it.  I think it was one of the cutesy names they pick for houses on Beach Hunters.  I liked the house on the bay the most too.

I hope they're prepared for sand in the house day and night ..that's the one good memory I have of Long Beach.

When my husband and I Iived in Manhattan back in the mid to late '70's we would take the train from Penn Station on Saturdays or Sundays to Long Beach to spend the day on the beach. It was within walking distance from the train station there and it made for a nice relaxing day enjoying the waves and sun. I remember the town itself and the surrounding buildings near the beach were rundown and most were empty. There was no boardwalk or any kind of businesses at all that catered to the beach crowd. In fact, the beach was pretty empty most of the times we went there. So imagine my surprise when I see the new boardwalk, apartment and condo buildings and homes costing over a million dollars! They must have gotten a lot of money for business building and houjsing development...and the boardwalk is actually nice and not tacky.

The same thing has happened at Virginia Beach. Back in the early 90's it was in bad shape...few hotels and they were awful. A few decent restaurants but mostly just fast food and the boardwalk had a lot of cheesy carnival type shops and touristy stuff. It went through a major overhaul in the 2000's and now it is pretty nice...more good hotels, boardwalk has better shopping and the beach is beautiful. It's comforting to see these once depressed beach towns be rejuvenated and revived.

• Love 1

I have no idea how I managed to clear it with my parents but when I was 15, my parents gave me permission to stay with my best friend at her grandmother's place in Long Beach. I don't even remember her grandmother as being a presence so she might have been dead and this was just referred to as her grandmother's place.    

🙂 If she was alive she certainly did absolutely nothing to chaperone or in any way control what we were doing or when we were doing it. 

My most vivid memories are of being stoned on weed - swinging on the swings at the Beach and singing Hey Mr Tamborine Man as the Byrds' version had just been released in the Summer of 1965 🙂

Edited by amarante
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Grizzly said:

One of the rare couples I liked, too. They seemed really relaxed with each other. I found an article about the episode. It says he’s a technical sourcer for Uber while she’s an attorney. No kids, a couple nickels to rub together, he has his game room, and she doesn’t seem to resent it. If she’s working billable hours it probably helps that he has a hobby where it’s easy, social, and not too expensive to spend a few hours a day on it. Good episode.

• Love 9
On 1/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, Grizzly said:

I liked them too. They seemed to enjoy each other, but I didn’t hear Haley’s reason why they preferred separate bedrooms. 

Too bad Geaneo had a short NFL career. He still has a great body, though. Hubba-hubba. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, topanga said:

I liked them too. They seemed to enjoy each other, but I didn’t hear Haley’s reason why they preferred separate bedrooms. 

She said he snores, sweats, and talks in his sleep. Any one of those would be enough for me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 1/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, lgprimes said:

Ahh okay thanks! I fell asleep in the middle of that one so can’t criticize the decision completely- I know I didn’t like that one’s curb appeal

Right? It was so ugly...and they had crappy houses next to them and looked out to more crappy houses and a real classy above ground pool next door. I thought the bayside house was beautiful and had lots of space and a relaxed vaction type of ambience...especially that killer front porch and the beautifully landscaped yard. The house they chose had too many levels and really no yard to speak of except the front/side yard which wasn't that big. The bayside house also had it's own dock. To me, the modern house was cold and blah...crammed next to other houses. Almost like a Long Beach version of their neighborhood back in Brooklyn. Oh well...each to its own I guess.

• Love 1

Question for you knowledgeables:  I've noticed that all of the HG shows...both new and old...now refer to the Master bedroom as the Main bedroom.  Why???

They also keep saying "Main bathroom" which confuses me into thinking it's the guest bathroom.  Is it the Master bathroom?  Can they say Main Suite now?

Also, do you think they did voiceovers on the old ones?  I'm seeing shows about 2 years old saying Main.  

Head scratcher.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, chessiegal said:

She said he snores, sweats, and talks in his sleep. Any one of those would be enough for me.

I don't know...a little TMI for me. I don't need to know the particulars of his personal physical stuff. I almost felt bad for him the way she just blurted out all the details...I was waiting for her to add that he farts. They wanted separate rooms but also it seemed like they were wanting separate living quarters on opposite sides of the house. 

• Love 4

The calling the  "Master" for the main bedroom, is now considered incorrect, .    So now it's Primary, or Main.     (Good point, calling it Master bedroom doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like to call it the Owner's suite, since I'm paying the bills)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I don't know...a little TMI for me. I don't need to know the particulars of his personal physical stuff. I almost felt bad for him the way she just blurted out all the details...I was waiting for her to add that he farts. They wanted separate rooms but also it seemed like they were wanting separate living quarters on opposite sides of the house. 

Yeah, that seemed strange to me. 

8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The calling the  "Master" for the main bedroom, is now considered incorrect, .    So now it's Primary, or Main.     

Considered by some to be politically incorrect. I’ve commented on this before in this forum so I won’t repeat myself.

• Love 2

There was an episode last week or so that has stuck with me. It was a California woman writing a cookbook who’d moved in with her mother after a break-up, and both she and her mom made comments about how she’d spent months crying over the guy. She even mentioned another BF who’d broken-up with her. She seemed likable enough, but I was cringing. The oversharing was a bit much but mostly who would give their ex(es) the satisfaction of knowing how difficult it’d been? And advertising multiple bad break-ups isn’t going to help with the search for the next one. Then she picked the place in her old neighborhood that had a lot of the same elements as her old place. Two LTRs gone, new house just like the last. I wanted her mom or her realtor to stop trying to convince her about the best value and tell her it was time to move on! Try something new! 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

The male house hunter in tonight's Atlanta area episode looked like a stockier version of former New  York governor David Patterson. 

He was awful. Such a diva. Didn't want to share the huge walk-in closet with his wife (for the record, I hate it when women do it as well), and he wanted the moon for their new house but didn't want to pay for it. I like the real estate agent--her smirks and sighs whenever he complained exactly matched mine. 

And it looks like the closet they're building for his wife in the master bedroom will be better than his. So there. 

I did like it when he talked about his son and said he was going to be one of those adult children that just never leaves home and lives in a corner of the house where no one talks about him. I have cousins like that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Atlanta guy was one of those people who seem so bluff and argumentative but are actually marshmallows inside. His wife certainly knew how to handle him. I have to admit I'm hoping his grandson turns out to hate baseball lol. Though he could become an Olympic swimmer.

• Love 3

Seems like they've run out of new shows. My DVR picked up 5 episodes last night and none were listed as new. In fact, one didn't even list season and episode numbers. The 10 pm show is listed with the title "House Hunters" with a description "People work with real estate agents to find new homes". It shows an original air date of 1999.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Bergen County NJ couple can't marry until he buys a house because that's what they do in Armenia. Looking for a year. Guy won't pay; lowballs everything. I started out disliking the guy because he obviously doesn't want to marry her. By the end I hated her. Spoiled brat.

8 hours ago, topanga said:

I did like it when he talked about his son and said he was going to be one of those adult children that just never leaves home and lives in a corner of the house where no one talks about him. I have cousins like that. 

I thought it was not nice of him to say that on national TV. 

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Such an unlikable couple in New Jersey. Every time they talked about their culture was all about cooking and eating, I want to yell "All cultures have traditions about that".  Both were incredibly annoying. Their agent didn't care for them much either. 

• Love 12

To my knowledge, Paramus NJ is mostly known for having numerous shopping malls -- I believe it is four -- and consequently having lots of traffic. Being in Bergen County it does have Sunday blue laws, so the stores are closed. I had no idea it was considered a highly desirable town to live in. North Jersey-ites correct me if I am wrong. [I worked in the HQ of a large retailer that had a store in one of their malls.]

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Seems like they've run out of new shows. My DVR picked up 5 episodes last night and none were listed as new. In fact, one didn't even list season and episode numbers. The 10 pm show is listed with the title "House Hunters" with a description "People work with real estate agents to find new homes". It shows an original air date of 1999.

I have wondered about the lack of new shows. Usually, January HGTV is loaded with new episodes. It seems like we are getting just one new show a week.  I figure there are three factors.  1. Pandemic limits shooting.  2. Full impact of the new HGTV ownership/budget/programming strategies (from Scripps to Discovery). 3. New episodes being migrated to DiscoveryPlus.

We know that some of these *new* episodes are re-purposed from other shows.  And some are legitimately new.  We know that's the case due to the change in nomenclature ("main" in place of "master"). That happened as a result of national events in Summer 2020.  Otherwise, it seems like reruns, reruns, reruns.  While HGTV has always relied on reruns, the Discovery channels are notorious for an even heavier reliance on reruns.  They still show 10-year-old Dirty Job episodes and Extreme Couponing.  

Oh well. It's given me time to catch up on other programs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So the New Orleans house hunter, with a million dollar budget, and is now looking at a house for $1.25 million, and has a rental cottage in the back yard.      I hope she gets a good tenant, because anything else is a nightmare.   However, the cottage has a decent bedroom, big kitchen, and the living area is only big enough for two chairs, and a tiny table.       Why do the house hunters act like a person with a million dollar budget can't change out the refrigerator for one with an ice maker?     Pass a house that's perfect, because you don't want to change the refrigerator?     The second home, the Victorian was nice, but it looked like a business, or apartment house next door.       The third house in the Irish Channel area wasn't attractive at all, except for that first floor bedroom for her mother.     I'm glad she went for the first home, Uptown, and will get her ice maker.    

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

To my knowledge, Paramus NJ is mostly known for having numerous shopping malls -- I believe it is four -- and consequently having lots of traffic. Being in Bergen County it does have Sunday blue laws, so the stores are closed. I had no idea it was considered a highly desirable town to live in. North Jersey-ites correct me if I am wrong. [I worked in the HQ of a large retailer that had a store in one of their malls.]

Totally agree about Paramus.  I remember when Alexander's use to be there with the mural painted on the side of their building.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

2. Full impact of the new HGTV ownership/budget/programming strategies (from Scripps to Discovery).

It's been 3 years since Discovery bought Scripps. The lack of new HH is very recent. I think it's the pandemic.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Bergen County NJ couple can't marry until he buys a house because that's what they do in Armenia. Looking for a year. Guy won't pay; lowballs everything. I started out disliking the guy because he obviously doesn't want to marry her. By the end I hated her. Spoiled brat.

I thought it was not nice of him to say that on national TV. 

The NJ fiance was awful, she wasn't much better.  They've been looking for a year and he's fired 3 agents?  She has to live with her parents and they cannot co-habitate until they marry and own a house according to their culture?  That being the case, I think it is pretty obvious that he really does not want to marry her.  His constant complaining that every house wasn't perfect and that he might have to pay the full asking price was really obnoxious.

• Love 8

I can't believe they bought the Paramus, NJ fixer upper, with hideous wall paper, and that needed so much work.      The man's low ball offers were insulting, and if they didn't already own the house before filming, then I wonder if any sellers would have worked with them?       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Places still have Sunday blue laws? Seriously? 😳

• LOL 3

Paramus wannabe was working my last nerve. Good luck, Mrs. Realtor's Least Wanted! If he did all this (allegedly) while you were tapping your foot, waiting to get married, I dread to think what the rest of your life will be like. Unless, in your culture, the Mrs. rules the roost and this was his last grasp at power. 

Still mulling an opening scene where he was dressed in some Polo-style shirt and she had on what looked like evening gloves. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The Atlanta episode had an "in memory of Selena" dedication at the end. Does anyone know anything about that? The HHs said in the beginning that their four-year-old grandson lives with them because their daughter (his mother) is in the military. I hope it's not the daughter who passed away, though of course it's sad either way.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I live one town over from Paramus. I don't think they will ever overturn the blue laws. My feeling is that every town within the county should be  able to continue with them or not. The malls would all stay closed since they are all in Paramus  and smaller stores would be able to open  in surrounding towns.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Still mulling an opening scene where he was dressed in some Polo-style shirt and she had on what looked like evening gloves. 

I just re-watched the episode. The purple one? It was a cold shoulder top, the sleeve portion was lacy looking. I think the fabric was a knit.They appear to be one of those couples where the woman is always sort of dressed up and the man wears nothing but t-shirts.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 1

Charleston. I nearly choked when dad said budget was $700k for a house so daughter could go to school. Why the need for such a big place? Buy a 2 bedroom condo. Dad needs to stop living through Sam. And who's paying for pharmacy school?

Edited by Grizzly

I remember the  Charleston episode with the young lady who was evidently a terrible driver. Hope she makes a better pharmacist. The Dad wanted a big house so she could get roommates to pay the mortgage. I think Mom and Dad are looking for an investment property.

• Love 2

Watched the New Orleans episode last night, and the HH wanted a through the door ice dispenser on the refrigerator.  The refrigerator in the house she bought had an ice maker, it just was a through the door dispenser, and evidently she likes a particular type of ice as well.  She not only spent $$ to have a separate under counter ice maker installed, but added a bar area/cabinets along a wall as well.  New Orleans doesn't have zoning laws that restrict most areas to only residential.  There might be an apartment house next door to a single family home, and 2 doors down from that a corner grocery store or a restaurant.  I guess that's part of the "charm" of the city.  There are also a lot of Air B&B's there, and the buyer might have been thinking of renting the guest cottage out on that basis.  During a normal Mardi Gras season (not this year), she would make a lot of $$.    

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Charleston. I nearly choked when dad said budget was $700k for a house so daughter could go to school. Why the need for such a big place? Buy a 2 bedroom condo. Dad needs to stop living through Sam. And who's paying for pharmacy school?

They focused very much on what they could get for renting out the other bedrooms which was why it made economic sense to purchase a larger place with roommates. I would imagine that it was actually cheaper than renting her a solo one-bedroom and would be a far better investment if they wanted to sell.

I would assume the parents paid for graduate school? Why shouldn't they if they can afford it. They were obviously upper middle class and it is pretty standard for parents to pay for education if they can afford it - especially for a career that prepares one for a steady job.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, amarante said:

They focused very much on what they could get for renting out the other bedrooms which was why it made economic sense to purchase a larger place with roommates. I would imagine that it was actually cheaper than renting her a solo one-bedroom and would be a far better investment if they wanted to sell.

I would assume the parents paid for graduate school? Why shouldn't they if they can afford it. They were obviously upper middle class and it is pretty standard for parents to pay for education if they can afford it - especially for a career that prepares one for a steady job.

For sure, being a pharmacist, she'll be able to pay them back. Dad made it sound like if she didn't get roommates, they wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage. Which makes me wonder how they got preapporoved for so much. And you could almost see the thought bubble over little sister saying "What are you going to buy for me?"

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

For sure, being a pharmacist, she'll be able to pay them back. Dad made it sound like if she didn't get roommates, they wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage. Which makes me wonder how they got preapporoved for so much. And you could almost see the thought bubble over little sister saying "What are you going to buy for me?"

I didn't get the sense that they would have trouble carrying the mortgage. I just felt that they had set a budget for living expenses and having roommates would make housing fit within the budget and it made sense for them to buy a three bedroom since it would be marketable to many types of buyers and theoretically she could take it over if she chose to stay in the area when she started working.

I am sure the siblings in the family are all going to be taken care of. I don't think the house was in the daughter's name so technically they were just providing her with living expenses in the same way that other parents provide rent for their kids while they are in school. 

It's not uncommon for parents to decide it makes more sense to buy a place for their student children versus renting since theoretically it is less expensive in the long run than paying rent.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:14 AM, SanDiegoInExile said:

I have wondered about the lack of new shows. Usually, January HGTV is loaded with new episodes. It seems like we are getting just one new show a week.  I figure there are three factors.  1. Pandemic limits shooting.  2. Full impact of the new HGTV ownership/budget/programming strategies (from Scripps to Discovery). 3. New episodes being migrated to DiscoveryPlus.

We know that some of these *new* episodes are re-purposed from other shows.  And some are legitimately new.  We know that's the case due to the change in nomenclature ("main" in place of "master"). That happened as a result of national events in Summer 2020.  Otherwise, it seems like reruns, reruns, reruns.  While HGTV has always relied on reruns, the Discovery channels are notorious for an even heavier reliance on reruns.  They still show 10-year-old Dirty Job episodes and Extreme Couponing.  

Oh well. It's given me time to catch up on other programs.

I'm glad the issue of no new shows on HGTV has been brought up. This is something that is happening on other channels as well. I am an avid watcher of crime shows on Discovery ID and noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is little to no new programming on that channel. They will have an initial episode of a show that has been on that channel for several years but the rest of the season is on Discovery+. That is probably what is happening on HH too. I refuse to pay more for shows on channels I already pay for on cable TV...I, for one, am really pissed off about this. Apparently I am not alone on feeling outrage at this...there is a lot of anger at Discovery+ for stealing away shows and new episodes from HGTV, Discovery ID, Food Network, etc...I will not buy into Discovery+.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I'm glad the issue of no new shows on HGTV has been brought up. This is something that is happening on other channels as well. I am an avid watcher of crime shows on Discovery ID and noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is little to no new programming on that channel. They will have an initial episode of a show that has been on that channel for several years but the rest of the season is on Discovery+. That is probably what is happening on HH too. I refuse to pay more for shows on channels I already pay for on cable TV...I, for one, am really pissed off about this. Apparently I am not alone on feeling outrage at this...there is a lot of anger at Discovery+ for stealing away shows and new episodes from HGTV, Discovery ID, Food Network, etc...I will not buy into Discovery+.

I agree with you 100%. Why would I subscribe to Discovery+ when I already have the cable channels under the Discovery aegis? 😡

• Love 5
5 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I agree with you 100%. Why would I subscribe to Discovery+ when I already have the cable channels under the Discovery aegis? 😡

I think every network is trying to capitalize on the popularity of streaming channels. But enough already. I agree with both of you. I have Discovery+ free for 6 months through my cell phone provider, and I don't think I've watched it twice. Definitely will not be pay another monthly fee for another streaming channel. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, topanga said:

I think every network is trying to capitalize on the popularity of streaming channels. But enough already. I agree with both of you. I have Discovery+ free for 6 months through my cell phone provider, and I don't think I've watched it twice. Definitely will not be pay another monthly fee for another streaming channel. 

So question. I know Discovery+ is carrying House Hunters - Comedians on the Couch, which has been on the cable channel. So on the comedian version, are they new HH shows with comedian commentary or old HH with commentary added? I still say the lack of new HH is because of the pandemic. Especially since we had at least 2 episodes that were edited, one from Hawaii Life and one from Island Life.

• Love 1