Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The new SD house would be a no go for me. There was hardly any cabinet space in the kitchen. That's what happens when you don't have walls. And it didn't have a pantry. I have a u-shaped kitchen with a peninsula, open to the breakfast nook. I have tons of cabinets and a pantry. I use every inch of it.

The island shape and placement were just so weird. They made the kitchen small.

• Love 3

The made huge changes to the SD house (yes, sarcastic, to echo the wife who seems to think she's the next Martha S.), they painted the walls that trendy gray that's been everywhere for the past few years, and makes everything look cold when you use the shade they did on HH.    I absolutely agree that the kitchen was horrible.   That entire house screamed builder grade, and the previous owners painting everything funky colors didn't change anything.  It looked like a giant box of crayons threw up in that house.    I bet that the color gray the buyers painted everything was the original colors the builder used, and simply changed the house back to the original builder boring box. 

However, the first house with the red doors, and a split garage and driveway with the neighbors wasn't a good idea either.   I've known too many people who rented or bought a house with a shared garage, and driveway, and it's almost always a night mare.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They showed a before and after of the kitchen. Am I missing something? It didn’t look any different.

I had the same thought. I was like "... And?" And I agree with @chessiegal that the storage in the kitchen was a no-go, and those cabinets were ugly.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

However, the first house with the red doors, and a split garage and driveway with the neighbors wasn't a good idea either.   I've known too many people who rented or bought a house with a shared garage, and driveway, and it's almost always a night mare.   

definitely wouldn't want to share the garage or driveway with my neighbors. My friend has to share her driveway (she lives in a duplex in Jersey) and she says it's a  pain to deal with - they're always trying to figure out who has to be out when. It's less of a problem now because they're all working remotely so they don't drive every day, but it's something she regularly complained about before. And sharing the garage ... maybe I'm paranoid but I wouldn't want other people to have access to whatever I stored in there.

• Love 2

Some shared garages have a wall dividing the two sides.    Since the SD garage seemed to have two car capacity on each side, maybe it did.   I still wouldn't share a garage or a driveway, or ever buy a place with an easement for others to use as a driveway, or other access. 

• Love 3

My family used to rent a house on Long Beach Island so to a vacation on the shore means that one is a few houses away from the ocean. 

I don't get the allure of a house on a canal. Can you even swim in one of those canals. I would be worried about pollution. 

The pricing of those canal houses reflects their relative lack of desirability as houses that are close to the beach would be three or four times the price for a relatively modest beach house. The one we would rent for two weeks each summer was just a tiny bungalow - I am not sure it was even three bedrooms.

That the guy was seriously contemplating renting it to people who would stuff in eight people is somewhat amazing as that would probably be the serious party crowd. I guess they just hang out in the backyard and drink for the week.

My understanding is that the market for housing in Atlantic City is pretty dismal as was the house they looked at in that place. 

23 hours ago, edie3 said:

For the love of Pete, old houses have creaky floors, not that earth shattering. Don't say you want an older house with character, unless you want character!

Add that to the shock of small closets - no master bath or a small en suite and other revelations by people who obviously think vintage is anything before 2000.

I remember when my aunt moved to a new house in the suburbs and her house was the epitome of what I thought was gracious living. It had an en suite which I had never even heard of before but looking back it was a toilet, a small vanity and a small shower. 

• Love 6
On 11/25/2020 at 11:56 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

But does anybody know what the deal is with her having to go through the academy again to get a job in Knoxville?  Is this hyperbole?  I know that fire departments set their own standards, but I don't think they have their own academies, and presumably she's been through one.  Maybe she has to get some additional training in order to have a job in a city with tall buildings, but they made it sound like she'd be starting completely over as a plebe, and that seems rather harsh.

I assumed that she was going from a small department to a larger metropolitan department.

I can't imagine someone from a small fire department would have the same equipment, protocol that would exist for a larger place.

There was an arsonist in California who was on the arson squad as it turned out. He had applied to be a fireman in several departments starting with Los Angeles but was rejected but finally wound up in the Glendale fire department. They had lower standards especially - obviously for him - in terms of the psychological tests they gave him. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, amarante said:

I assumed that she was going from a small department to a larger metropolitan department.

I can't imagine someone from a small fire department would have the same equipment, protocol that would exist for a larger place.

There was an arsonist in California who was on the arson squad as it turned out. He had applied to be a fireman in several departments starting with Los Angeles but was rejected but finally wound up in the Glendale fire department. They had lower standards especially - obviously for him - in terms of the psychological tests they gave him. 

Oooh!  I just saw that episode of Forensic Files!  But, I agree, various fire departments have different standards and training.  Some fire departments include EMT or paramedics and the fire fighters are sometimes needed to help them on runs which requires additional training in first aid, CPR, etc.  Cities with lots of high rises need to train their fire fighters to battle upper story blazes while many rural or suburban communities don't have any tall buildings and their fire fighters get minimal training in that area.  It seemed like that househunter would need to transfer to a more urban department if they moved to a different county and it was very likely she'd have to do additional training and might lose seniority which can make a big difference in which holidays she'd be working and when she'd be able to take vacation.

• Love 1

I just saw the cancer survivor moving to Arizona episode.

Do people actually buy homes centered around one day?

Whatever but I genuinely didn't understand their final choice. The backyard was objectively terrible even if it backed up to a pond. What in the world do you do with a pond - it wasn't particularly scenic.

And it really didn't make sense to move into a home that needed the kind of massive renovation they *claim* they will be doing because living in a house during that kind of renovation isn't possible - why would you set yourself up for that. Made no sense that they wanted to move in for Christmas and THEN do the renovations. I bet their budget wasn't as high as they claimed because if they truly were willing to spend up to $1 million that third house was the best one. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It seemed like that househunter would need to transfer to a more urban department if they moved to a different county and it was very likely she'd have to do additional training and might lose seniority which can make a big difference in which holidays she'd be working and when she'd be able to take vacation.

Right.  But she said she'd have to go through "the academy" again, which sounds like starting over at zero, and not just getting additional training. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Right.  But she said she'd have to go through "the academy" again, which sounds like starting over at zero, and not just getting additional training. 

There wouldn’t be any other way to make sure a transfer had the necessary skills and understood protocols of the new department. 

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Oooh!  I just saw that episode of Forensic Files!  But, I agree, various fire departments have different standards and training.  Some fire departments include EMT or paramedics and the fire fighters are sometimes needed to help them on runs which requires additional training in first aid, CPR, etc.  Cities with lots of high rises need to train their fire fighters to battle upper story blazes while many rural or suburban communities don't have any tall buildings and their fire fighters get minimal training in that area.  It seemed like that househunter would need to transfer to a more urban department if they moved to a different county and it was very likely she'd have to do additional training and might lose seniority which can make a big difference in which holidays she'd be working and when she'd be able to take vacation.

That Story is so mind boggling that I have seen it done on several true crime shows. I found it interesting to see how the different shows had different takes on it. I love FF but when I have seen some of their shows done on other shows they are fleshed out because focus isn’t solely  forensics. 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:50 PM, amarante said:

I bet their budget wasn't as high as they claimed because if they truly were willing to spend up to $1 million that third house was the best one. 

I agree. Money seemed to be the deciding factor. She mentioned something about him being able to fit some kind of boat in that canal/pond. Really? It didn't seem like much would fit there. But, considering that these shows are mostly fake and their choice was probably the house they had already purchased, most of the back story was probably made up... except, about her being a cancer survivor. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:45 PM, Grizzly said:

South Dakota. I physically recoiled when they showed the red and purple walls. The newer house was definitely the one to pick.

I actually liked them. Reminds me of good racing/polo colours. 

Spokane realtor wife really needs a course in room identifying.  That was a living room directly across from the dining room in house #3.  So typical room layout of that period and the family room is not a living room.  She should know better.

• Love 3

Lexington. I expected the realtor to hand them a card for a divorce lawyer. But no, it was a realtor knows best commercial. The house she picked brought harmony to the relationship. I give the ep a 7.5.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Lexington. I expected the realtor to hand them a card for a divorce lawyer. But no, it was a realtor knows best commercial. The house she picked brought harmony to the relationship. I give the ep a 7.5.

They were awful, weren’t they? 

• Love 8

Kentucky couple dedicated to driving their realtor nuts: she loves him and wants him to be happy. Because when he's not on TV, he's not a whiny PITA? This is his first house and he looked a lot older than most first home buyers (missed the opening, if he hadn't had money, why was he pouting because he couldn't see the house way out of their budget?).

I thought another couple filmed the ending, happy with their house, happy to have family over, cooperating, looking forward to the future ...

• Love 4
20 hours ago, cameron said:

Spokane realtor wife really needs a course in room identifying.  That was a living room directly across from the dining room in house #3.  So typical room layout of that period and the family room is not a living room.  She should know better.

I really liked that family. The mom with the 5 kids and her...boyfriend? I couldn’t tell if he was moving in or what. But I liked the mom, and I like the final house they chose. 

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

When the Realtor said, “It’s clear there’s a power struggle going on...” I thought, “It’s clear these two hate each other.” I know couples say the drama on the show is manufactured, but can you really manufacture contempt and disdain for your spouse? If so, these are some great actors. Give them their Emmys now.

She doesn’t want kids, but the husband said, “We’re still talking about it.” He doesn’t want more dogs, but wife said that she’ll wear him down. Why are these two together?

I like the house they ultimately chose, but what was that extra crap they added? The family room had these long open shelves that weren’t there before, and they were covered with random trinkets. And in the kitchen, the couple was hanging plants on a picket fence/wooden ladder that they’d nailed to the wall. 

• Love 9

Not really sure that your HGTV HH episode is the place to air your discussion about having children.  It was almost a throw away line by him saying he had not dismissed the idea, while the wife was talking about adding more and more dogs.  

He was whiney, and she was exhausting - IMO. 

Topanga, agree with you about all of the stuff they were hanging on the walls in the last scene.  Looked like plants in small pots everywhere, and there were some on the right side of the screen in the background.  If they were real plants, that's a lot of care unless they are the newly popular succulent craze.  If they aren't real, then that's a lot of dust catchers.

• Love 7

The Kentucky couple were so irritating.     I'm sure their realtor was hoping they could buy something, and she could cash the check, and never deal with them again.  

The plant wall may have been the little fake plants that look so realistic.    They still collect dust though.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I love Montana. At least this couple acted as though they liked each other. Thought the first condo was the best. After being in that trailer, no way would they pick the 1 bedroom.

The first condo had such stunning views. I missed the very beginning. What did they do for a living?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The first condo had such stunning views. I missed the very beginning. What did they do for a living?

They both were involved in some kind of internet business but I don't remember if they were more specific.

They were a nice couple.  No drama.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

They both were involved in some kind of internet business but I don't remember if they were more specific.

They were a nice couple.  No drama.

They owned a tech consulting company. The first place had great views but I thought the development itself was kind of ugly, and I wasn't crazy about any of the condos they saw - all the finishes seemed kind of sterile. When the husband was talking about putting a desk in the nook in the closet in the third place, it just kind of made me sad. Like, spend a little money and get some space.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

They owned a tech consulting company. The first place had great views but I thought the development itself was kind of ugly, and I wasn't crazy about any of the condos they saw - all the finishes seemed kind of sterile. When the husband was talking about putting a desk in the nook in the closet in the third place, it just kind of made me sad. Like, spend a little money and get some space.

Yeah, that's right, a tech consulting company.  The Montana landscapes are breathtakingly beautiful.  The residences I saw?  Not so much.

• Love 2

I thought all of the Montana condos were pretty terrible for the price. I was expecting something higher end or unusual in some way.

I wonder whether it reflects the demographics of people buying a condo in Bozeman. At one of the developments, the realtor mentioned that it was close to the university so perhaps that is the market buying them. I would assume that most people deliberately living in a place like Wyoming would want a single family home - preferably one not jammed in with neighbors. Just seems odd.

And those condos were all so sad. They looked like the equivalent of quonset hut housing and the interiors weren't particularly outstanding either. 

• Love 3

I didn't see the Kentucky episode, but based on the comments I went back and streamed it. Wow, you guys were not exaggerating. I really hope they aren't still discussing children after 8 years of marriage. He's going to regret staying if he does and she doesn't. (Though I think they're both going to regret staying.)

I do wonder what she does for a living. He mentioned she had a stressful job and wished she'd take it easy on the weekends.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I already hate Ventura, CA wife (who looks older than 28). I might not make it.

She's pretty but I hate how she dresses. Her clothes don't flatter her. TOM seems to be doing a good job finding houses she likes.

Oh good Lord, they have terrible decorating skills! Painting tile? That dark bathroom, overstuffed family and living rooms? Ugh.

Edited by Grizzly
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

What's up with calling the master suite the "main" bedroom & bath? I've noticed that on HH and other HGTV shows.

It’s a PC issue with the word “master.” I’m a liberal Democrat, and I think it is much ado about nothing. The term “master” doesn’t automatically equal “slave owner.” Think “master carpenter” or “master class.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

She's pretty but I hate how she dresses. Her clothes don't flatter her. TOM seems to be doing a good job finding houses she likes.

Oh good Lord, they have terrible decorating skills! Painting tile? That dark bathroom, overstuffed family and living rooms? Ugh.

I was surprised there was no mention of/objection to the tiled countertops in the kitchen. I think tiled countertops are awful and unpractical.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I was surprised there was no mention of/objection to the tiled countertops in the kitchen. I think tiled countertops are awful and unpractical.

I noticed that. They supposedly redid the kitchen and those countertops were from the 80’s & 90’s. The tile guy they hired must have been like, “Are you sure you want this?!?!”.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

He on the other hand looks like Hitler to me.  Needs to shave that upper lip hair off.

• Love 1

The Ventura wife was too much.  She has a timeline for her life?  What's she going to do when a child (or 2 or 3) is added to that timeline, and things don't go according to her life clock?  She doesn't seem very flexible with things like that.  Everything was "I want, I want, I want".  Life with her would be exhausting, IMO. 

As for the house choices, I thought the 3rd one that they bought was the best for square footage and location.  Being an end unit, it also had more light, and would seem more like a stand alone house for him.  The Spanish style house was never an option, and would have been a money pit. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It’s a PC issue with the word “master.” I’m a liberal Democrat, and I think it is much ado about nothing. The term “master” doesn’t automatically equal “slave owner.” Think “master carpenter” or “master class.”

Also stopping using the term “master bedroom” does nothing - actually, literally not one thing - about systemic racism. It’s a completely empty, performative gesture that nobody asked for BECAUSE it is a completely empty, performative gesture. As a Black person, I think it insults my intelligence. 

3 hours ago, laredhead said:

Everything was "I want, I want, I want". 

I turned it off when she told her husband “I think you should only show me things that I want,” as though her husband wouldn’t live there too. I cannot stand people who think that kind of atttitude is cute, which she clearly did.

• Love 16

I taped the Ventura episode, and I can't stand the wife.   House #1 was interesting, and could be great, but with the extra lot, and commercial zoning possible, I think it would be a nightmare because of the road, and the work it needs.  Since it could be commercial, I bet someone will buy it, and use the extra lot for parking, and turn it into offices.  

House #2 at the beach.  Then the wife chimes in , it's not the exact beach she wanted.  If you get a good contractor, a full kitchen remodel isn't going to take endless months, so the wife can stop whining about the remodel taking forever, because it won't.    

House #3, it wouldn't be that hard to do minor updates, and change a lot.    Just changing the fire place hearth and wall tile would make a major change.      I hate the kitchen light, and tile counter tops.   I would reface the cabinets, and rip out the ceiling light, and countertops.   It wouldn't take a week to fix that kitchen.    The wife doesn't care about anything the husband wants, just what she wants.    Of course, it would be the Ventura property, close to Mommy and Daddy.    Painting floor tile?   That's absurd.  The painted tile will last about a week.     They didn't even change the living room rug, or tile fireplace surround, and the kitchen was the same.    Oh, and I bet the wife was pregnant already.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

The changes made to the Ventura condo were astoundingly bad and didn't do a single thing to remedy the issues. Painting bathroom tiles BLACK - painting tiles is bad enough but black. And painting wood kitchen cabinets is expensive and/or a PITA if DIY because you can't just slap a coat of paint on them because they walk look terrible and crack and chip almost immediately.

And leaving the light fixture in the kitchen AND the white tile. They would have been better off changing the light fixture and stopping there because at least wood cabinets and white tile are durable and don't look as discordant as what is probably a slap dash paint job.

And why do people look at bedrooms and say it is good for a nursery. Unless the people well and truly plan to move out after they have children, the bedroom will be theoretically used for children - how is a room okay for children but not for a nursery. The only time this observation makes any kind of space is when there is some kind of small annex off the *master* bedroom 🙂 which is convenient when you need an infant near you for night feedings or whatever.

• Love 7
On 12/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, Empress1 said:

Having been to Bozeman and other parts of Montana I was appalled at the ugly and awkward condo building they chose to buy into. For such a beautiful area to allow a structure like that to built is all that's wrong with today's builders/architects. Such a disgrace to the majesty of the mountains and bucolic beauty of the area.

• Love 9
On 12/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, that's right, a tech consulting company.  The Montana landscapes are breathtakingly beautiful.  The residences I saw?  Not so much.

Yes, it's beautiful country, but I noticed they didn't show any of the town itself.  It has a cute little downtown that isn't just storefronts with antique stores in them.

And, a fun fact about Bozeman:  the older residential areas have an inordinate number of unprotected intersections, where there's no stoplight, stop sign, or yield sign.  I think the reasoning is that people will have to pay attention because they can't just drive through and assume there's a yield sign or stop sign for cross traffic.  Kind of like the theory about why traffic circles are safer--everybody has to be on their toes.

However, when the school year starts and new college students show up, none of them are expecting it and it's mayhem.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, amarante said:

I would assume that most people deliberately living in a place like Wyoming would want a single family home - preferably one not jammed in with neighbors. Just seems odd.

I don't know...if I had to live in Montana, being jammed in with neighbors sounds like it might be warmer.

They said they picked a second-floor condo because it was $25,000(?) cheaper than the third-floor condo they actually looked at.  I would totally pay an extra $25,000 to not have an upstairs neighbor clomping around above my head.  Which made me think about it, and I've lived in seven non-high-rise apartments in my lifetime, and each one was on the second (top) floor.  I didn't do it intentionally--it always happened to be the one that was available.  But I would actively seek it out now, and pay more to get it.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

So from here on out, is "Master of your Domain" also un-PC? That would make me sad.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

The reruns this morning on OWN are apparently picked for the most irritating list of criteria by the couples.     

The couple in Norfolk, Virginia Beach were fun, and you could tell the husband was having fun with his demands for the show.   

The couple in Elgin, IL want a big property to have their huge wedding there.    However, the husband wants to build a baseball field and have Home Run Derbies, and baseball games.     What planet does he live on that he thinks any residential area is going to put up anything besides one wedding?     He wants a commercial property, in a residential neighborhood.   He also has a rather bizarre bathtub phobia, and is acting like a total nut job.     Now the fiance shows her strange side.   I wonder how the boyfriend thinks he's going to maintain three acres of baseball field and back yard?   

Now the Indianapolis couple moving back from Bloomington, where he was in law school.    He thinks he's getting a good law firm job right out of school?     First one a new build where the builder will build a garage with a full price offer, and the laundry room is one side of the master bedroom closet.    Another house hunter that doesn't want a first floor master, because burglars can't climb stair.  OK, so they bought the Victorian, and installed a security system, and changed the locks.   Changing the locks was a great idea, and this was the only house with an actual yard.  

Then the two doctors buying a place in Chicago.  The psychiatrist husband hates basements, and mold (I'm with him on that), so the realtor says that he should consult a psychiatrist like himself.   The real estate agent is so adorable, and has a great sense of humor.  The other husband is an infectious disease doctor, so he shouldn't be laughing about mold either.     I like both of them.    They moved back after a fellowship in Boston, so anything will seem affordable compared to Boston prices.    Their dog and cat are so adorable.   

I like how the infectious disease doctor thinks a little yard for the dog would mean that they wouldn't have to walk the little Yorkie cross.   Nope, but you'll have to shovel the yard so the dog can go out without disappearing in a snow bank.     I like the first one, I think the second place is tiny, and the third one is interesting.     So they bought the second one, and decided they would have a outdoor bathroom for the dog on the balcony.    

I can't even watch the Denver couple, where the wife has a grout phobia. 

Scituate near Providence RI.   They have four kids, and they buy a giant place with 2 bedrooms.   Then the realtor says "There's a barn, so you can convert that for two more bedrooms".   First of all, that's four bedrooms, so some still have to share, and second, can you imagine that zero fun of having to go through a Rhode Island winter to the house for everything?     I'm sure they would put a bathroom in, but that's still bizarre.  

Then the Chicago rerun, where they start with doing Yoga on a boat going down the river.    That's when I knew the woman would be high maintenance, and want a whole more in a condo than what they could afford.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I like to think that I'm a pretty flexible, accommodating person, and honestly have trouble thinking of any deal-breakers when it comes to a house.  Like, I love taking a recreational bath, but I've lived without a bathtub for years now and I'm surviving.  Or, I don't love Tudor houses, but I doubt I'd turn down a house that was otherwise perfect just because it's Tudor style.

However...I saw a rerun the other day of a couple in Florida--they were both orignally from Jamaica.  The man's wish list included a door on the toilet.

I've never been a big fan of those bathrooms that are open to the master bedroom, without a door between them.  But every one I'd ever encountered had the toilet in a space with a door that you can close.  But on the episode I watched, two of the houses had the open bathrooms, and the toilet was right there with the other stuff, and no door.  I had no idea there were floor plans like that, and that would be an absolute deal-breaker for me. 

I'll admit that I'm on the far end of non-demonstrative toilet user, but for more "normal" people--is that floor plan okay?

• Love 1