Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

House Hunters

That Compton episode made me so happy to be living in an area of the country where the housing prices aren't out of reach of most people who don't earn a 6 figure income.  First thing I would do is remove all of the bars on the windows of the house they bought.  I'd be more afraid of being trapped in a fire, than of someone breaking into the house.  The house in Rialto was much nicer, but location, location, location (to quote realtors) won out, and I understand why since they both worked in Compton.  I would be a terribly depressed house hunter if those were my choices in finding a house.  I agree with others who have commented that it looked like mold in a couple of places in that house.  I hope they have competent help with the renovations, and don't find any hidden, expensive problems along the way.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm betting that the Compton house is old enough to have asbestos floor tile/linoleum, and possibly ceiling and wall texture with that mixed in.  

They do make burglar bars with locks you trigger from the inside of the house, to escape in a fire.   

I wonder if the Compton house was actually going to be a flip, and the talk about adding a bathroom, and other changes was just a decoy?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm betting that the Compton house is old enough to have asbestos floor tile/linoleum, and possibly ceiling and wall texture with that mixed in.  

They do make burglar bars with locks you trigger from the inside of the house, to escape in a fire.   

I wonder if the Compton house was actually going to be a flip, and the talk about adding a bathroom, and other changes was just a decoy?  

I had the same idea, that maybe this couple planned to flip the house - but it just didn't seem feasible mostly because they were crammed in with family and kept saying they needed to get their own space.  

I'm wondering if some civic agency in Compton provides special financing help for people who purchase badly run-down properties for rehabbing - a sort of "clean-up our community" incentive for buyers.  Compton has for a long time been a marginal neighborhood, to say the least.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I really do think this couple is getting  extra help with the project from someone behind the scenes.  

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 3

I bet that the super crowded house that the Compton couple showed was only for filming.     After mulling it over, I bet they're flipping the house they bought, and then will used that money for a bigger down payment on a bigger house near where they are now.  

I'm wondering if they were fronting for someone else that was a real flipper (if you have to be a buyer, not investor and own it for a certain period to qualify for special programs, or it was a FHA or other foreclosure, and the initial buy period is only for owner/residents), or else the claim that they didn't know much about repair on houses was a sham.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Amateurs can't flip a house profitably. Only people who are in the business can make money flipping - especially a house that needs that kind of massive overhaul. That is a complete down to the studs renovation and I would imagine there might also be structural damage of some kind that would need repairs.

Home renovation shows understate how expensive it is to remodel. It made absolutely no financial sense to purchase a home that would require more money to renovate than the flipped house cost.

Homes in metropolitan areas - in my experience - have either bars or home alarm systems. More expensive homes have home alarm systems and less expensive homes have bars. Code requires bars to be able to release easily (even by a child) from the inside. I grew up in a middle class home in Brooklyn which had bars on all the windows on the ground level except those which faced directly on the street - this was before there were home alarm companies. Everyone in the neighborhood had bars on accessible windows.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Isn’t Compton where people leave & not go to? $400,000 for a dump? No thanks. 

Since around 2010 Compton has been doing much better and is no longer the murder capital it was in the 80s and 90s. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Since around 2010 Compton has been doing much better and is no longer the murder capital it was in the 80s and 90s. 

That’s nice to know. I still think $400,000 for that place is crazy. I know it’s California but I have my limits. LOL!!!

• Like 5

I thought that was sad, the Compton show. Especially when you compare it to the "we have to get rid of that granite" and "only white kitchen cabinets" you usually see. But at least they are getting equity in a house, and no payments to a landlord.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edie3 said:

I thought that was sad, the Compton show. Especially when you compare it to the "we have to get rid of that granite" and "only white kitchen cabinets" you usually see. But at least they are getting equity in a house, and no payments to a landlord.

I felt bad for the Compton wife when she went along with her el cheapo husband and bought that horrible dump. Honestly, it looked like a crack house with all that mold and filth. It's going to cost a small fortune to make it livable and I don't think they have enough money to accomplish a decent renovation, particularly if there is asbestos in any of those old building materials. However, if there is asbestos I imagine they'll just live with it because I can't see them pulling permits for the work they plan to do or have anything tested.

That hard working woman deserved the nicely fixed up house, which would probably have saved them money in the long run.

• Like 7