Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I started to watch the Houston episode, but after the first scene, where the couple said what they wanted, including walking around naked, and had to have a pool, and I turned it off.   It doesn't sound like I missed anything. 

You didn't, especially if you're like me and find giant houses like that colossally boring.  Combine that with obnoxious HHs, and...bleh.

10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Also, men who say they have to get a deal on *everything* are a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm all for living within one's means, saving, investing, etc., but I will not have my whole life ruled by money.

I think it's more than that--they have a compulsion get a deal, not just pay the lowest price.

Like the people who look at their Safeway receipt and see they saved 22% and think they came out a winner, when they paid what the Kroger across the street charges normally.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

Just a guess, but is she Natalie Reeves from Beauty and the Geek?

I believe you’re right. She looks like the same girl. You can find their “love” story on The Knot and the info was pretty much the same as he related on HH.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

That Dallas mother needs to be told that a pool is 1000 times more dangerous to her children than household stairs. 

When she said they were “eventually going to put up a fence,” I winced. I’d have had one put up before moving in. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm betting the 'we'll put up a fence soon people' never do.   Sadly, for children 15 and under there were 221 drownings in pools or other water sources in 2019.    It's the fifth leading cause of death for kids in that age group.      The number has gone down from previous years though.    I know that a fence guarantees nothing, but my homeowner's insurance would either require a fence, and gate latch, or jack up my rates.     I also have known people who had to fence the pool to keep their dogs from going for a swim constantly.    

Also, with a pool, I would want a tall fence, and locking gate, to keep outsiders from trespassing.     We've had a lot of trespassers at the little subdivision pool, with people actually moving into the pool house.   

However, I know a lot of people that have a tall fence around the back yard, with a closed gate, and they don't fence the pool, but put door alarms to keep younger kids inside the house.    Personally, I wouldn't want a pool or spa, because of the upkeep.   I'm basically kind of lazy about some things.   

A bizarre note, a friend lives out in the country, and has an in-ground pool, and one morning they woke up to a neighbor's horse, and cow in it.    The local fire department had to come and help.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Many of us grew up in a world without pool fences and we survived.  We had a summer cottage, so swimming lessons at the YMCA were mandatory starting at six months old.

The Houston mom was not afraid of the stairs for her kids but rather her dog.

This is the second time we've had an architect this week, each one more obnoxious than the other! And the twins had to have separate bedrooms because they played rather than go to sleep. Guess what Mom, those kids are going to go to each others rooms and play instead of going to sleep. We have grands who share bedrooms. When that situation arises. their parents take control of the situation and actually do some parenting. Kids actions have consequences.

• Love 2

Another Palm Springs Mid Century Modern House episode. I would need a pool in that hot spot. The views always seem so beautiful. The two guys were together, right? Why did it seem like they didn’t even like each other? Too funny!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This is the second time we've had an architect this week, each one more obnoxious than the other! And the twins had to have separate bedrooms because they played rather than go to sleep. Guess what Mom, those kids are going to go to each others rooms and play instead of going to sleep. We have grands who share bedrooms. When that situation arises. their parents take control of the situation and actually do some parenting. Kids actions have consequences.

I'm an only child and I played rather than going to sleep. Not sure why they had the boy and girl share a room rather than the 2 girls together.

• Love 3
(edited)

My guess is on the Palm Springs episode, one man wanted to go on TV, and the other didn't.    I understand for filming on this show, it's several long days repeating scenes, and lines, and the heat or air conditioning have to be turned off for the filming.    That must be a miserable day in Palm Springs.  

I suspect the Palm Springs man with the back issues wasn't back to 100% either, and the days of filming were really wearing on him.    I love the house they picked.   

The woman in Austin that had an Architecture degree, was a pill.   So she wants to design a house, and the family will live in a construction zone for years?    That remark to her husband about his comment about the design of the family room on the second house was awful.   She said to him, "You're taking up all of the air", and that was just nasty.   

Why didn't she just put the two daughters in the same room, and the son in the other bedroom?     She also had hideous taste in clothes, with the jeans/leggings, followed by the green velvet pants.    The first house was a disaster.     The second house where she talked about adding a second story, was ridiculous.    Not all houses will work for that, and you know she would whine when she couldn't take the tree down.    The third house was awful, and didn't really have two extra usable bedrooms.   

The first house they bought was ugly, and I bet it won't look any better after she finishes with it.    Her kitchen remodel was ugly.  All they did was put in generic subway tile back splash, and painted the cabinets, and it looks like every other minor kitchen update.      I had to laugh that they demanded a four bedroom, and ended up with a three bedroom, and are still going to dump the boy/girl twins in the same room.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

A too many didn't. 

Their kids are little. The older one looked to be about three, which is old enough to open doors and go outside. The parents forget to lock the door once, he goes outside and falls in the pool … tragedy. And IMO the fence should be in addition to everyone who lives there having swimming lessons and being comfortable in the water.

• Love 11
(edited)
17 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

A too many didn't. 

As someone who lost a 5 year old nephew to drowning in a swimming pool, I cannot agree more.  No matter how young they start swimming lessons, no matter how closely supervised, no matter how many times the pool rules are spelled out to them; stuff happens.  And, the particular yard in the house they chose was virtually ALL pool.  I don't know how they were going to be able to fence it in and leave any space at all for the kids to be in the yard.  Their kids were also very young, just toddlers.  I wouldn't have bought that house in the first place, but, if I had, the pool would've been fenced  AND alarms installed before my kids ever spent a minute there.

My nephew was 5, he knew how to swim as well as 5 year olds do.  But he fell into a pool while fully clothed in a sweatshirt and long pants.  Expecting a 5 year old to swim well enough to get to safety in that situation is not realistic.  He was with a 6 year old friend at the time, also fully clothed, also knew how to swim.  He didn't make it either.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Not sure why they had the boy and girl share a room rather than the 2 girls together.

I couldn't understand that either.  I think production didn't like her either ..the way they focused on those green velvet pants from behind.  I giggled because I already hated her.  Boy was she full of herself and her "talents".  She was so mean to the husband when he suggested something..geez.  I don't think she smiled once.

Palm Springs...wow...I loved those mid-centuries!!  All of them...even the one that wasn't one..lol.  The taller one was so annoying with his comments.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

You can certainly tell when the film crew, and editor dislike a house hunter.   They really disliked the Austin woman, and I'm betting there's a really funny outtake reel of her being a total pain. 

I wonder when they told her to play up the annoying part more she should have gotten a clue. LOL!!!! They.seriously.did.not.like.her. LOL!!!!!!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Oh please someone please give that Austin architect woman some praise so she shuts up. She is in the top five worst HH of all time. Horrible horrible personality. 

Don't give her any opinion or thoughts about design though! Especially if you don't have a degree in architecture! 

I think this is the first time I have ever hate watched anything on tv. Grrrrrrr.

She bragged about her “designing” re: their new house. I was like, “WTF, lady, you didn’t design the house.” From what I saw, Ms. Architect didn’t do anything anyone else couldn’t have done. Boy, that line about “sucking the air out of the room” when her husband made a suggestion was so bitchy and mean. The silence of the agent and the hubby was deafening.

Why shouldn’t the eldest child get her own room? She shouldn’t have to share with a younger sister just because she is a girl. The twins are young enough to share for now.

Palm Springs: I really liked the multi-level house.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I loved all of the Palm Springs houses, but especially the one they bought.  I can understand the desire for a one story house on the part of one of the guys because I have back issues that began with no warning.  For 2 weeks I had to use a walker in my one story house, and I could barely lift my leg to get in and out of the low curbing on the shower.  My house has one 4" step between the den and kitchen, and navigating that was torture.  There would have been no way I could have climbed stairs.  I have recovered, but it will be an ongoing situation for the rest of my life.  You never know when a sudden, or unexpected twist or turn is going to create a problem, so keeping things on one level is a good idea.

I want to go to Palm Springs just to drive around and see all of the beautiful houses.

• Love 4

The Austin architecture episode was completely bizarre to me.

I had assumed based on her background and her professed desires that she actually wanted to tackle a true fixer upper and use her skills and talents to showcase what she was capable of doing. There have been a few shows like that and generally anyone with a background in architecture or construction selects a house that needs work because they have the experience and also - and very significantly - have the contacts to get trade discounts so the work can be done more inexpensively than an amateur. 

What she wanted to do - and actually did - was what many homeowners do which is a small cosmetic remodel. She selected paint colors, changed flooring and selected a back splash? LMFAO. That is what she wanted to show as exhibiting her skills and taste level? I did those with my first home when I had zilch experience. 

Being a SAHM isn't what is causing her lack of real job responsibilities at her job. It's obviously her lack of talent and expertise.

• Love 8
Just now, laredhead said:

I loved all of the Palm Springs houses, but especially the one they bought.  I can understand the desire for a one story house on the part of one of the guys because I have back issues that began with no warning.  For 2 weeks I had to use a walker in my one story house, and I could barely lift my leg to get in and out of the low curbing on the shower.  My house has one 4" step between the den and kitchen, and navigating that was torture.  There would have been no way I could have climbed stairs.  I have recovered, but it will be an ongoing situation for the rest of my life.  You never know when a sudden, or unexpected twist or turn is going to create a problem, so keeping things on one level is a good idea.

I want to go to Palm Springs just to drive around and see all of the beautiful houses.

I can understand wanting one level home by ANY homeowner who is of a certain age because you never know when there will be some medical condition that makes climbing stairs difficult. 

The middle home was ridiculous with all of the different levels. Didn't it also have a sunken living portion with no demarcation between the levels. That seemed like a great way to break one's neck if one inadvertently forgot where the new level began or if one of their many guests didn't realize there was a drop in flooring levels because there was no warning.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree that the twins can share for now, but the irritating home hunter said that she wouldn't let the older girl move to the separate bedroom until she was 15 or 16, and by then her brother and sister will be 13 or 14.      Plus, did the upstairs bonus room have a bathroom?  Or would anyone who stayed up there have to go up and down stairs to the nearest bathroom?   

I looked at the Austin MLS, and for the same price there were lots of 4 and 5 bedroom places available, and most of them wouldn't need anything but changing the paint or other minor fixes.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Boy, that line about “sucking the air out of the room” when her husband made a suggestion was so bitchy and mean. The silence of the agent and the hubby was deafening.

Wow, that really was bitchy.  Her poor husband has to deal with her every day, probably for the kids.  She had to know they were filming her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Wow, that really was bitchy.  Her poor husband has to deal with her every day, probably for the kids.  She had to know they were filming her.

It was a terrible thing to say, and that she said it while filming for TV... Yikes!  Aside from the fact that ALL he was doing was thinking out loud about possible changes that could be made to the home like every other househunter does, her absolute refusal to allow him to even express an opinion was really cringeworthy.  One wonders what potential clients think about hiring an architect who doesn't believe that their ideas could possibly be valid?  I think there's a reason her firm doesn't allow her to be the lead architects on projects and it has nothing to do with her being a working mother.

At the end, when she was showing off the kitchen and it was clear that all she had done was the sort of stuff everybody does and that the finishes and colors and details were nothing special at all, I wondered why she thought that was proof of her incredible design skills.

• Love 8

I actually feel different about the Austin lady house hunter. I felt bad for her. She's obviously had to give up her career and a lot of her daily creative brain power to instead raise THEIR children. She was looking for a project to finally use the brain she was given. As for not letting her husband have opinions I agree with her. He had a chosen field that she wasn't butting into while he thought it was okay to tell her what to do in the field she was trained in. I'd be annoyed as well. 

Austin architect: I don’t think having children has stalled her career as much as she thinks it has. Her attitude about having a locking door on her office made me wonder how much she resents/regrets having them.

Those minor changes weren’t creative, and—here’s what I think is a genuine problem—she doesn’t seem to recognize that much of design is personal opinion. I, for instance, thought her kitchen/living room changes were horrendous, but if she loves them who am I to tell her she has poor aesthetics. They’d already shown her in those velour pants. Hasn’t she suffered enough?

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

Austin: If she really wanted to use her “skills,” why didn’t she jump at the chance to make that big space (the older daughter’s potential in ten years bedroom) a dream master suite?

6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I actually feel different about the Austin lady house hunter. I felt bad for her. She's obviously had to give up her career and a lot of her daily creative brain power to instead raise THEIR children. She was looking for a project to finally use the brain she was given. As for not letting her husband have opinions I agree with her. He had a chosen field that she wasn't butting into while he thought it was okay to tell her what to do in the field she was trained in. I'd be annoyed as well. 

I don’t feel bad for her at all. Nothing we were told implied that she obviously gave up her career. And her husband has a right to his opinion on the house they are buying. 🙄

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

We do not know that she gave up anything unwillingly.  She made a choice to have children, it sounds like the twins were a surprise, and perhaps she had pregnancy complications or they were born prematurely and that meant further sacrifice; but stuff happens when you have kids.  At no time did I hear her say that her husband forced her or coerced her into having kids nor that he insisted that her career be sacrificed.  As far as using the brain she was given, as an architect/designer, wouldn't she be working with clients and asking for their ideas and opinions about the spaces she is designing?  Why was it wrong for her husband to express an opinion and think out loud about what might be done to make the home better for their family?   Just because her background is in design doesn't mean that every opinion must be hers.  Her husband was the money guy, I didn't see him telling her to shut up any time the budget came up.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Austin architect: I don’t think having children has stalled her career as much as she thinks it has. Her attitude about having a locking door on her office made me wonder how much she resents/regrets having them.

Those minor changes weren’t creative, and—here’s what I think is a genuine problem—she doesn’t seem to recognize that much of design is personal opinion. I, for instance, thought her kitchen/living room changes were horrendous, but if she loves them who am I to tell her she has poor aesthetics. They’d already shown her in those velour pants. Hasn’t she suffered enough?

She wasn't "designing" anything. All she did was a rather ordinary remodel. There's a big difference. Her skill level doesn't even reach interior decorator status.

• Love 7

She said she was a designer. Never claimed to be a good one. 😉

said that she wouldn't let the older girl move to the separate bedroom until she was 15 or 16, and by then her brother and sister will be 13 or 14

Right. Betting they'll be separated long before that. Cause the husband has opinions. No doubt, their teachers will, too if they figure it out.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

She wasn't "designing" anything. All she did was a rather ordinary remodel. There's a big difference. Her skill level doesn't even reach interior decorator status.

She isn't a designer, she's a trained architect, big difference. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

She isn't a designer, she's a trained architect, big difference. 

ohhh, she told us often enough that I think we all know she's an (undervalued) architect. She even has a masters! I believe many architects handle projects from nuts-to-bolts including interior decorating while others have teams with specialists. Methinks she was confident enough in her skills to do both. 🙂 

Did anyone else think her husband gave her a backhanded compliment at the end? When he said something like, "I have a whole new respect for her" (or maybe he said "her training")? Maybe he was being genuinely complimentary, but I inferred he hadn't had much respect before.

• Love 2
(edited)

If you guys can, I suggest you try and watch Beaches Around the World..  It was on last night.  OMG the house hunter, who I thought was young at first as she had pink at the tips of her hair, was actually older.  She laughed, talked, pranced, skipped and ran her way through the episode.  She never shut up!! I kept wanting to turn it off but I couldn't..like a train wreck.   I promise it will be worth it if you can find it and watch it.

That said I can tell you that the Azores are beautiful!  The scenery was amazing.  

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/beach-around-the-world/episodes/natural-beauty-in-the-azores

I just wish I had DVR'd it.

Edited by NYGirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

If you guys can, I suggest you try and watch Beaches Around the World..  It was on last night.  OMG the house hunter, who I thought was young at first as she had pink at the tips of her hair, was actually older.  She laughed, talked, pranced, skipped and ran her way through the episode.  She never shut up!! I kept wanting to turn it off but I couldn't..like a train wreck.   I promise it will be worth it if you can find it and watch it.

That said I can tell you that the Azores are beautiful!  The scenery was amazing.  

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/beach-around-the-world/episodes/natural-beauty-in-the-azores

I just wish I had DVR'd it.

If I get a dead spot in my tv watching, am definitely going to on demand this show!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If I get a dead spot in my tv watching, am definitely going to on demand this show!

Don't wait for a dead spot... trust me.  Watch it for the laughs it will bring you.  You'll thank me in the end.

• Love 2

I watched both episodes of Beaches Around the World. The first was a young widow who was moving to a cay in Belize with her 4 kids and their uncle. Both, Belize and Azores, had house hunters who were the definition of the word “extra”. I was hoping someone would post about it.

• Love 3

Firehouse: The only thing good about that house was the front door and possibly the garage. The only thing bad about the show itself was the daughter who tagged along. Good god! That voice was the worst. The father seems like a nice guy with a large family. I would really love to see the finished renovation of the house. It seems like he has the money to put into the house for a good return on his investment. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Firehouse: The only thing good about that house was the front door and possibly the garage. The only thing bad about the show itself was the daughter who tagged along. Good god! That voice was the worst. The father seems like a nice guy with a large family. I would really love to see the finished renovation of the house. It seems like he has the money to put into the house for a good return on his investment. 

I googled the place, but all I could find was a local news feature about the HH buying the old firehouse in 2019. I would love to see the finished renovation, too. Yeah, the daughter’s voice was grating. Oh, and those grandsons’ tragic haircuts! 😬

• Love 6

I really, really liked the NC couple, and they were given three really nice choices in houses.  

In the town where I used to live, a couple purchased an old gas station and turned it into a very pretty house.  They faced a lot of problems with the renovation, like having to dig up the old gas tanks and having to clean things up because of the EPA but it turned out really nice.   And right now, someone in our area purchased a Catholic Church and they’re turning it into condos.  Lots of repurposing going on now. 

The Carlsbad firehouse episode was interesting.  His daughter with the annoying voice looked like Jennifer Love Hewitt.  I wonder what that man did for a living to afford all those cars and a million plus house.

• Love 3

There are no words to describe the 2 episodes of tonight.  First the girl in Colorado with the annoying mother.  The mother was worried about her view when she comes to visit;  That poor girl didn't know the mother planned on coming for an extensive visit in the future.  She ended up with the right choice for her even though she didn't want to do any work at all...even changing out a shower curtain was considered work to her.

The beautiful scenery in Oklahoma!  However, we have an idiot House Hunter with vocal fry who only wants to go to wineries and restaurants while living in a vacation home near the lake...and only wants a 1 bedroom house even though she has a baby.  I'm sure they will have more in the future... maybe they can sleep on the front porch??  She thinks a loft is "awful" and doesn't understand the concept.  The realtor was hard to understand and she looked like Roseanne Barr.  I'm not a fan of log cabins with wood walls all over the house. 

At least they picked the one that they can make the nook a guest room.  I don't think they planned on taking the baby with them when they went to the lake .. 

• Love 2

NYGirl, you're made of stronger stuff than I, who bailed after the husband, with his DT, Jr. hair, and wife, with her I'm Living at the Wineries life were driving towards the first getaway candidate. Good call on the realtor, although she got in one snarky comment before I quit them all.

I was rooting for the Colorado girl--to get away from mom for awhile. Was guessing her loathing for doing any work was put on. I was curious to see what she did with the #1 place, i.e., how suburban-looking her decor would/wouldn't be. And how long it'll take her to get a cute haircut and stop dressing like a junior version of her loving, but passive-aggressive domineering mom. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Colorado Springs, that mother was insufferable, and daughter should consider moving very far away.    Daughter also needs to find a hair dresser that won't give her mommy's hairdo.     Good luck finding anything in Colorado Springs in a decent neighborhood (there are a lot of bad areas there), for $200k or less.    An HOA isn't necessarily going to do the lawn mowing, snow removal, or outside maintenance, that all depends on the HOA, and what it includes.     That's more like a townhouse complex, with a big HOA fee.    By the way, on snowy days, being right on a major road is a great feature.     The mother's retirement plan isn't to visit a lot, it's to move in.   I loved the first condo.   I wonder if the dad and brother know that when mom retires she's moving in with the daughter? 

The second one, with the higher price, and higher condo fee is awful.   

The third one, the single family, will be a money pit.   The easy to revive lawn (Mom's statement) is wrong for the Springs, water prices are immense, and if they have another drought, the lawn will die.   (When I left there is 2003, we were having a major drought, and in the city limits you could water twice a month).   To keep the lawn nice you need a sprinkler system, and a regular fertilizer schedule.       In Leilani's place I would find a condo on the third floor, so Mom would never move in.    To fix the third house, I would change all of the carpet, and every other room  to Luxury Vinyl Plank, and paint the kitchen cabinets.    Then paint the bathroom cabinets,  and remove that ugly shelf, and mirror, paint the bathroom, and get a nice oval wall mirror.    Paint the entire place, and you'll be finished.    By the way, I'm betting since it's a bi-level, or split level (very common there), the walls in the basement were the foundation edges.    I would wonder if the cement basement floor was painted to get rid of water marks from a leaky basement.  

The first condo was a great choice.   It just need painting, and the new flooring.       I wonder if the daughter realizes that the mother is painting the lavender room for mom to move into?      

The Broken Bow vacation couple irritated me.   When someone buys a strange choice for their family size, (like the Winery people) my guess is they will never stay there, but purchased it for an investment/short term rental.   You know they're not going to live there, but rent it all of the time.  They are not spending $375k on a home to stay in.    A one-bedroom when you already have one kid, and are planning more, is not going to be for family vacations.   I hated the green/blue kitchen cabinets.   I would have dumped the pool table, and made the game room into another bedroom.   The extra sleeping area/game room is a great feature for rentals.   The second one would be a great rental, but the husband will never go for it..    The third one is cute, but it's a 1 bed/1 bath, but the princess / wife loves everything about number three.   The wife really doesn't care about anything but dumping the kid on the grandparents does she? 

The way the first one (the one they bought) was originally set up, for a guest room, and the grandparents could have come up for a few days too.    The woman just wanted to dump the baby on the grandparents, and have a fun weekend.      

What a surprise, they bought the best one for rentals, and put in a pull out sofa in the guest nook.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5