Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/19/2020 at 9:55 PM, LittleIggy said:

Bloomington, IN: I loved that Craftsman house they picked. It was odd that the kitchen had so many sinks! BTW, the wife’s constant grinning bugged me. 

Nice that she's happy, but the grinning was excessive.   That house was gorgeous and such a lovely woodland setting.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:57 PM, jcbrown said:

Wow, the Schenectady woman who needed subtitles and wondered what that thing that was a toaster and also an oven was called (and then cracked up laughing when she was told “toaster oven”)? Was she really drunk or really medicated?

She has mental health issues.  She said she suffered from anxiety and it’s obvious she does .  I don’t see how she is a special ed teacher, unless she teaches by experience.  The husband was an angel and props to her for wanting a house he didn’t have to duck in and room for his trains.  I hope she is getting help for her anxiety and does not get worse.  Her facial expressions & childlike demeanour, the mumbling. It’s possible she may be a handful at times.  I’ve seen it spiral IRL & would feel bad for her, very nice, husband.  

Edited by msrachelj
Type
  • Love 3

The magician/TV writer in LA ... I was kind of floored when he said that being a magician allowed him to walk into a room and get the applause he deserved. I found him really off-putting in general, and you could tell the realtor (I liked her gray shirt dress) found him trying.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The magician/TV writer in LA ... I was kind of floored when he said that being a magician allowed him to walk into a room and get the applause he deserved. I found him really off-putting in general, and you could tell the realtor (I liked her gray shirt dress) found him trying.

He said attention he deserves, not applause. I liked his sense of humour. 

• Love 2

My DVR is set to record any new episodes. I deleted without watching a few repackaged “beach” episodes. I did watch a tiny house episode. The divorced mother of two kids (11 yo boy and 13 yo girl) was a teacher in Arlington, TX. I groaned when she said she wanted a tiny house on wheels so they could travel during the summer. 🤦‍♀️ Will someone please tell these people that a tiny house on wheels is NOT a travel trailer!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My DVR is set to record any new episodes. I deleted without watching a few repackaged “beach” episodes. I did watch a tiny house episode. The divorced mother of two kids (11 yo boy and 13 yo girl) was a teacher in Arlington, TX. I groaned when she said she wanted a tiny house on wheels so they could travel during the summer. 🤦‍♀️ Will someone please tell these people that a tiny house on wheels is NOT a travel trailer!

I thought the same thing.  The house she bought is not going to be accepted at the usual campgrounds, which means she is going to have to have someone with vacant land that just happens to have access to electricity and water hookups anywhere she travels.  And moving that thing including getting it ready to travel and then setting it up at the destination is going to waste a lot of vacation time.  Buy a regular house and rent an RV if you want to travel.

I also think that her kids are getting to ages where they are going to want some privacy and she is probably going to want to get away from them now and then, too.  Her kids are not going to be happy sleeping in open lofts just feet away from their other gender sibling.  It's also going to be tough for them to get dressed for school, etc and they're going to be fighting over the bathroom to get some privacy to change clothes.

In general, almost everyone on this show who buys a tiny house would be far better off spending the money on a small regular home, IMO.  They also need to get a reality check when it comes to how mobile a tiny house really is.  The answer: not very.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7

I think the first tiny house she looked at would be fine for a single person. It was bright and airy, had a nice kitchen area with full-sized appliances, and a downstairs sleep area. The loft could be used for storage and/or sleeping space for guests.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I thought I'd hate the goofy LA magician , but I found him very self-deprecating and liked that he appreciated and wanted to respect the inheritance from his grossemama (sp?). He was pretty much the Magic Castle version of Dwight Schrute.

I was thinking Dwight, too, when I was watching the episode.

So I recorded the "new" HH episode tonight, and thought, my goodness, I've seen this Des Moines couple before. Even my husband recognized it. On looking at the description, it says it was a "fan favorite". So now they're labeling reruns as new because they are "fan favorites"? What a bunch of crock.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

So I recorded the "new" HH episode tonight, and thought, my goodness, I've seen this Des Moines couple before. Even my husband recognized it. On looking at the description, it says it was a "fan favorite". So now they're labeling reruns as new because they are "fan favorites"? What a bunch of crock.

Yeah, that pisses me off. They did the same for HHI. 🤬

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I had recorded one (from Monday night?) that was apparently a recycled Beach Front house hunt in North Carolina. If the wife had said "for sure" one more time I swear I'd have choked her through the TV screen.

I'm so tired of these reruns being labeled as New in order to fool our DVRs.

• Love 5

The family in Rochester, MI was fairly normal, but the house they chose for them and their 3 teenagers was huge—-6000 ft. Makes me wonder how long they’ll end up staying there once the kids grow up and leave home. 

I raised an eyebrow when the wife said she had ‘ways’ of getting her husband to choose the house she liked. She said, “I’ll be...kissing some butt.” And I thought, “Oh, do you mean, ‘sucking some _____’?” I’ll show myself out now. 

The Atlanta couple was gorgeous. I just couldn’t stop staring at them. I was surprised they chose the older ranch home over the new construction, but maybe they’re planning to do renovations. Is the “Jaxson” spelling of their son’s name based on a movie character (ala Jacen from Star Wars)? If not, I find it cutesy and annoying. 

Oh, and she also said she had ‘ways’ to get her husband to agree with her. These House Hunters are starting to get freaky on camera. LOL. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I noticed that too. And that was a fairly recent episode, at that - if they're going to try to trick someone, they might try going back further in the vault.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cameron said:

DC show last night that featured the fire dancers, potential room mate needs to act her age.  She thought that she was really cool.

They both did. “That’s that sweat equity though!” “What?! We be bumpin’” when she saw the speakers in the ceiling. It was a little culture vulture-ish.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The DC HH wanting a house large enough to accomodate roommates, was a little old to be acting like a high school kid.  The roommate had some valid points, but she also acted like a princess (the HH said that herself).  My belief - if your name isn't on the mortgage and you are just renting space, then you have no say in what the HH buys.  If you don't like it, move somewhere else where you will be happy.  I wonder how long they will be roommates after her comment that she told her soon to be former roommate she was leaving in "not the nicest way" so she needed to move fast.  The expressions on the realtor's face were priceless.

• Love 9
On 2/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, LittleIggy said:

DC: The HH seriously didn’t know what a radiator was?

After seeing it I can understand her not knowing that was a radiator. It was covered in a bit of a strange box. 

I got the impression that the DC HH and her friend were more than just "roommates."

I know. For me, it was a combination of the assumptive pushiness and references to a third person for the second bedroom. 

• Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, Grrarrggh said:

After seeing it I can understand her not knowing that was a radiator. It was covered in a bit of a strange box. 

They are called decorative radiator covers.  People buy them when they don't want to see the radiator itself.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Indianapolis guy from Madagascar:  how refreshing to see someone so appreciative of everything we take for granted.  I liked their choice of houses.

I like him, too. All he wanted was a dishwasher and a "garage clicky thingy." 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Indianapolis guy from Madagascar:  how refreshing to see someone so appreciative of everything we take for granted.

His description of the garage door opener absolutely tickled me. He seemed like a great guy.

Their budget was $150K and the wife wanted all the trimmings? Seems unrealistic even for a lower COL area. I liked the one the picked.

• Love 5

They're showing a "Fan Fave" (only to HGTV I bet), and they're showing the goat yoga assistant, and her lawyer husband.     I may not make it through this one, since I bet she's going to be irritating.   Melbourne FL, moving to the beach in Melbourne FL.    THey have a little boy, and four tiny rescue dogs, and they need more space?    The house they're in is big enough, so why don't they just say they want to spend up to $800K, and to impress people with a beach house?   

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Indianapolis guy from Madagascar:  how refreshing to see someone so appreciative of everything we take for granted.  I liked their choice of houses.

How depressing that there are so few affordable homes for sale. I personally preferred the two storey, but what they picked wasn't bad. 

• Love 2

Yes, loved the Indianapolis episode.  So refreshing from many of the other episodes where the HH's demand gutting perfectly good kitchens and bathrooms because they are not their tastes, but are perfectly usable.  His love of carpet because he grew up with concrete floors was great, as was his desire for a dishwasher and garage with an automatic door opener.  He referenced a couple of times that people in other parts of the world would love to be able to own a house, and have the things we take for granted.  

• Love 9

Tampa: I loved the house they bought. It was beautiful. I liked when the husband said it was fine to be near her family, just not to have her family on top of them. 👍🏻
AL tiny house: Yet another HH who thinks a TH is an RV. That toilet was weird. So the bunk beds will be down all the time? Oy. Lady, that is not going to be your forever home! 🙄

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Tampa: I loved the house they bought. It was beautiful. I liked when the husband said it was fine to be near her family, just not to have her family on top of them. 👍🏻
AL tiny house: Yet another HH who thinks a TH is an RV. That toilet was weird. So the bunk beds will be down all the time? Oy. Lady, that is not going to be your forever home! 🙄

I cannot imagine her kid is going to find it very exciting in a year or two when he is sleeping right in the middle of the 'kitchen'.  Most preteen/teen boys I've known were not morning people and I don't think he's going to appreciate Mama stumbling around trying to put coffee on in the morning while he is sleeping a foot away from the stove.  And vice versa.

And Amen to the ridiculous notion that tiny houses are meant to be as portable as RV's.  They're not and they aren't.

• Love 3

I am not understanding why anyone would want to live in a tiny home. 

A tiny home is not the same as a small modest home. There are a lot of smaller homes built for workers in the early part of the 20th century that are much more livable than the tiny homes. Row homes; the ubiquitous two bedroom bungalows built for the railroad workers in Los Angeles; the shotgun homes in the South - they are all modest but are more gracious than having a fold down bed in a tiny kitchen.

I don't even understand it as an investment so one can *own* one's home. It's a depreciating asset just as a car is. 

• Love 8

I liked this show more when people were looking for regular houses, big or small. I survived the holy trinity of granite countertops, ss appliances and whatever the third thing was that they were beating us over the head to buy. I even hate-watched the eps in which people shamelessly allowed themselves to look like dolts, narcissists, and privileged-beyond-belief whiners. I've missed more eps due to the time change than I can count--what's up HGTV? 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I don't think he's going to appreciate Mama stumbling around trying to put coffee on in the morning while he is sleeping a foot away from the stove.

I go camping with my parents in their motorhome every year for Thanksgiving, and they get up several hours before I do.  So I stumble to the bedroom and crawl in their bed to continue sleeping.  That's fine for three mornings each year.  Living that way?  Hell no.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2020 at 12:28 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I hate that. As soon as I see 'fan fave' in the title I delete it.

Me too. But there was a new one on last night, a couple with a toddler and a small dog that wanted four kids. They lived in Cambridge, MA. Budget $1.2M. All the houses were charming; they went with the third one, which needed work but also had charm. They were cute.

• Love 3

I liked the Cambridge, MA couple but I hate it when people want to gut perfectly nice kitchens, like she wanted to do.  It's one thing to make some minor updates, but some of these HHers want to destroy the whole area.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's their money and they can do what they want, but I still hate it.  

• Love 10

Tonight at 10 EDT there is a show on called “Crowded House.” Here is the description from the HGTV site: “Twenty strangers accompany home buyers, offering a myriad of opinions and suggestions, as they tour three different homes, on a search for the perfect home. Will the advice be too much, or will our peanut gallery help find the dream home, in Crowded House?” 🤭🤦‍♀️

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I liked the Cambridge, MA couple but I hate it when people want to gut perfectly nice kitchens, like she wanted to do.  It's one thing to make some minor updates, but some of these HHers want to destroy the whole area.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's their money and they can do what they want, but I still hate it.  

Or ruining a lovely Victorian to make an open concept monstrosity just so he can watch football sometimes?! 

• Love 5
On 3/10/2020 at 9:28 PM, CruiseDiva said:
On 3/10/2020 at 7:46 PM, chessiegal said:

I hate that. As soon as I see 'fan fave' in the title I delete it.

Yep, "fan fave" for HH and HHI.  And "Our little secret" in Home Town.  And "Hilary and David tell all" in Love it or List it.  They all started with the new year.  HGTV, we see what you are doing.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I fell completely out when the DC realtor said that the more she got to know the house hunter, the less she thought a tenant was a good idea for her.

That Realtor was correct. DC lady was a piece of work. I wouldn’t attend a game night at her house. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3